[Brazelton] No longer hungry, RIP John Pinette

Yeah, me either. I'm sure he was a genuinely nice guy, it's a shame he had the problems he did and they had the adverse effects on his health they did. Truly a loss to the comedy world.

He's easily in my top 5 all time comedians. This hurts. I'm so very distraught by this. This is just horrible news.

He was one of the best parts of the Punisher movie (even though I haven't seen the whole thing).
YOU BEEN HERE FOUR HOUR, YOU GO NOW is the quote I will always remember him for. That, and the above waterslide.

--Patrick

A comedian had a drug problem? Never saw that coming.

Still hurts though, he was a great comedian, and was incredibly likeable.

Dudes...its says in the article it was natural causes due to complications with his weight/heart and liver problems.

Where has it been said it was drugs?

But that didn't kill him...i thought people were implying he od'd.
I don't think anyone was trying to make that connection. I was more surprised by his addiction as he seemed to really have it together. Just shows anyone can get addicted to prescription drugs.

Man, is comedian that high-stress/shitty of a job that drugs are this much of an issue? I mean, it seems like almost every major comedian at some point had a huge drug problem (or still has it).

Man, is comedian that high-stress/shitty of a job that drugs are this much of an issue? I mean, it seems like almost every major comedian at some point had a huge drug problem (or still has it).
My friend thinks I should be a comedian because I have depression: she says (having dated a few comedians, at least one of whom is quite big in Canada), that they all have depression or anxiety disorders to begin with.

Anecdotal, obviously, but it may not be the job that causes the drugs, but the personality type that leads to drugs and comedian...ism

Listen to Marc Maron's podcast WTF for a while. I'm starting to think every comedian is fucked up somehow.

Anecdotal, obviously, but it may not be the job that causes the drugs, but the personality type that leads to drugs and comedian...ism
I get the impression that comedy (or in general "being the funny person") is a coping mechanism (or an attempt to get people to like you/win approval), and therefore probably a trait more commonly found in those people who are compensating for some kind of suffering.
According to Mike Birbiglia, it takes a certain kind of...insistence to continually get up there again and again, an insistence that well-adjusted people usually do not possess.

--Patrick

My friend thinks I should be a comedian because I have depression: she says (having dated a few comedians, at least one of whom is quite big in Canada), that they all have depression or anxiety disorders to begin with.

It's really not anecdotal... this has been a long known fact in the psychology community. It's especially prevalent in fat comedians, who usually use high energy to punctuate their comedy. Chris Farley... John Belushi... John Candy... all of them were HEAVY drug users and died from it.

It's really not anecdotal... this has been a long known fact in the psychology community. It's especially prevalent in fat comedians, who usually use high energy to punctuate their comedy. Chris Farley... John Belushi... John Candy... all of them were HEAVY drug users and died from it.
I want to know what's keeping Louie Anderson going, then.

--Patrick

Oh, I just meant anecdotal in that I had only heard this pattern of depressed comedians from my friend.