Nostalgia Critic: LOTR Animated vs LOTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved the animated films growing up, I watched them after the first time I read through the novels.

What's the animated set have over the Live Action?

The Hobbit!

I do have to admit I haven't seen the LotR Animated film by Ralph Bakshi. I have seen the1980 Animated Return of the King movie though.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Oh wow... this really hit a nostalgia motherload for me. It was Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings that first got me interested in the fantasy genre. I would even go as far as saying that without it, I probably would have grown up quite differently, seeing as I lived in the countryside, with almost all after-school activities either involving the boy scouts or the church.

Gotta love how quickly he was convinced in the battle of Rankin-Bass vs Jackson :D

Shegokigo said:
Loved the animated films growing up, I watched them after the first time I read through the novels.

What's the animated set have over the Live Action?

The Hobbit!
The Greatest Adventurrrre...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_r1Npsv5I:2bed4i2n][/youtube:2bed4i2n]

figmentPez

Staff member
Although I disagreed with the critic on many points, I liked this video a lot. The critic is often better talking about movies he likes, than about something completely awful (like last episode's coverage of Barb Wire).

I like Ralph Bakshi, but GOD, does that man get lazy with the Rotoscoping sometimes.

It's just to jarring to me when he goes from rotoscoped animation to pretty much live footage or people in costumes.

I couldn't stop laughing at:
Sauron SMASH!
Sauron go boom :(

I like them both equally for what each film represents, there's no way I could put one above the other.

Edit: Ok FUCK NC. Seriously, I loved the animated Return of the King! Though the PJ version was better....

Funny comparison. I love the Bakshi version and I like the Jackson one. But the old animated movie holds a special place in my heart just because I saw it first just after I read the books and though I didn't agree with how most characters looked, for me it really captured the mood and feel of the story better than Jackson's FX orgy.

I liked this review a lot.

Glad to see him review something actually nostalgic for me. He's been slipping of late: I mean, when the Nostalgic Chick gets to Transformers before him.. well, yeah.

Anyway I agree with him on this review 100%.

I keep hoping he'll do Star Wars.

Or more specifically, the Christmas Special. :D

P

Philosopher B.

I thought that was one of his better/funnier reviews in a while. Lots of interesting points in there. I'm sure someone else has probably said it before the Critic, but I never really thought how ridiculous it would look if Frodo turned into a wraith.

Personally, I'm not too keen on the Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings, but that might be because I saw it after the movie and therefore hold no nostalgia for it. I mean, it wasn't horrible, but I couldn't get over everyone milking the invisible cow. That and, you know, Sam being a bit loony. I did agree with the Critic that Aragorn didn't seem to posses a hugely convincing kingly side in Jackson's version, as well as his criticism of how things looked when Frodo put on the ring. I mean, what the heck? Was that supposed to have happened every time Bilbo put it on, too? How the heck could he spy on those elves and shit with everything going up in smoke? I bet it's not going to look like that in the future Hobbit movie.

I do remember enjoying the Hobbit cartoon, though I saw that ages ago and was a little freaked out by the psychedelic deaths.

Bowielee said:
I like Ralph Bakshi, but GOD, does that man get lazy with the Rotoscoping sometimes.
Yeah, that drove me nuts, too.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I think it was the rotoscoping effect that really hit home the notion that when people are getting stabbed, they look like they're getting stabbed. Especially when it's animated, it looks brutal as hell (particularly one bit where an orc takes down one of Éomer's riders and keeps slashing him with his sabre, only to be cut in the back by another rider. The last image in that shot is the dead Rohirrim's pale hand resting on his abdomen... I got the heebie-jeebies from that as a kid).

And yes, Samwise in Bakshi's version probably needs to be put on Ritalin or something. If there had been a sequel to Bakshi's (you know, by Bakshi, not that Rankin-Bass version where Samwise actually is a bit of a pint-size badass), Shelob would have probably taken one look at Sam and thought "Eww, I ain't eating that. Not after cousin Marvin and the Mad Hobbit Disease".

And while I love the Bakshi version for its nostalgic value... I think Bakshi went Faramir with Boromir. In the books you get the sense that he is the next in line of succession for the Stewardship of Gondor, and in Jackson's films Sean Bean certainly carries that charismatic air of a nobleman in both behaviour and dress. Not so in Bakshi; in that he looks like a raggedy-ass Viking, with the chipped sword and ass-fitting 80s shorts. He just doesn't fit the bill... unless Bakshi's Minas Tirith has decayed to the point of near-barbarism.

Status
Not open for further replies.