Oddly depressing 20-year-old mall video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake said:
Tinwhistler said:
I used to live in greenspoint around 1991. It was pretty shitty all 'round, not just the mall. Which was kind of my point. It shows less that our 'culture is stale and in a state of decline' and instead better illustrates the economic decline of a specific geographic area.
*sigh* I should have never mentioned the economic "probablys". That was mainly a joke and it seems to have skewed my point considerably. My point was that, aside from a bit more day-glo and acid-wash clothing, that scene is largely interchangeable with a modern mall 20 years later. It's just a narrow illustration of how our culture has been coasting for longer lately than it has in the past. More specific examples above.
Thread necro! I just now got around to reading this point. My bad.

Economic considerations aside, people have been gathering in market-places of one kind or another since recorded history. I don't think the fact that malls have been popular markets where people gather really shows any kind of cultural stagnation.

Now, the fact that Spencer's Gifts in the mall is pretty much exactly the same as the Spencer's Gifts of my youth..well, that may say something. :rofl:

S

Singularity.EXE

Ah I was expecting it to be a time-lapse of "from then til now" and we could watch as the people got fatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.