Olympic Games 2024

Folks in my circles are alternately thrilled or pitching an absolute fit about the drag "last supper". (which, apparently may not have been technically intended to evoke that painting? Something about Dionysus? I dunno.)

I just liked the woman in the middle's blue outfit and headdress. And I think she looked amazing.

There are tons of parodies of The Last Supper, using The Fellowship of the Ring, daleks, anime casts, dogs, cats, classic film stars, The Simpsons, Loony Tunes, etc. (Do a search for 'Last Supper parodies', there's something for everyone!) References to the painting are used everywhere. The marketing for Dragon Age: Inquisition definitely had a Last Supper vibe.
1722212568128.png

Annie Leibovitz did a photo of The Sopranos cast in the pose for Vanity Fair:

1722211881441.png

It's probably one of the most referenced paintings, but now people are clutching their pearls because 'oh noes drag queens'? :rolleyes:

figmentPez

Staff member
Olympic opening ceremony was referencing a different painting of a table.png

The Last Supper isn't the only painting of figures gathered around a table. It's not even certain that the painting above is the one they were referencing, The Feast of the Gods has been painted many times, not to mention many other feasts involving gods like Dionysus/Bacchus.

Whether or not it was “The Last Supper” doesn’t matter. Turbo Christians who are always on the hunt for something to be offended by saw drag queens. The rest of the details they just make up as needed, because the context isn’t important.

We can debate which pairing it was, what the original intent, etc. But the other side of the debate is arguing in bad faith. It’s just “I saw people who make me uncomfortable and they don’t follow my particular worldview, so I will now rage.”

Whether or not it was “The Last Supper” doesn’t matter. Turbo Christians who are always on the hunt for something to be offended by saw drag queens. The rest of the details they just make up as needed, because the context isn’t important.

We can debate which pairing it was, what the original intent, etc. But the other side of the debate is arguing in bad faith. It’s just “I saw people who make me uncomfortable and they don’t follow my particular worldview, so I will now rage.”
I would say"... aren't treating my worldview as more important than anyone else's." is really the attitude they take.

Same group of folks who lost their minds about Dan Browns books. I do think the French knew what they were doing though.

I personally didn't need my 8 and 10 yr old seeing hints of a threesome at the library.

As for the actual point of the Olympics, I have enjoyed a lot of events so far. My kids have been pumped watching gymnastics and swimming.

This specific moment at the opening was certainly a talking point but let's get back to the sport.

• Congratulations to Michael Jung for gold in individual eventing. Saw the event live on tv.

• Judo, mountainbike, kajak, skateboard were all interesting events so far. The weather is a lot better after the opening and makes the events alot more enjoyable to watch.

• The body control of the athlets in gymnastic is absolute fantastic.

• It looks bad for the triathlon in the Seine. The water quality is not as good as expected.

The equestrian field was beautiful!

I also really dug the mountain bike trail and fun to see the French woman killing it.

I missed judo sadly.

Had fun watching KD crush it and look like he was having a blast.

And the Belgian female basketball team has probably destroyed their chances of a medal by losing to Germany - who are really good, but the USA (world champion) and Japan (Asian champion) are stronger (and Belgium is the European champion) - the Group of Death indeed, but it means we'll have to stunt to make it out of the group phase....

I've been watching more of these Olympics than I think I ever have in the past. Since I'm stuck sick on the couch, it's about all I can do. And CBC has everything available via their free app so I've been catching a bit of a lot of events.

That said:
  • Men's 7s rugby, gold medal game, a shocking result but good play.
  • Women's 7s rugby, Canada-Fiji match, far too close! Go Canada!
  • I wish that 15 a side rugby was included, since that's what I played and prefer watching.
  • Women's and men's team archery was great.
  • I wish they had less... Machinery on the bows. I like simple simple archery, that's what I've been taught, and I'd love to see these folks shoot without sights and counter-weights, and all that.
  • Equestrian jumping - question, how do they get the horses into the country? What quarantine and medical requirements are there? I'm curious.
  • Surfing, less engaging than I hoped, but I learned that Tahiti is French.
  • Water polo still seems like a recipe for a drowning. Though the match I caught seemed much lower contact than I've seen before, so I wonder if a rule has changed.
  • Men's team gymnastics is, as always, a delight. Floor routines still don't do it for me, nor does the vault, but I love the parallel bars, high bar and especially rings.
  • Women's beach volley ball, mainly notable for not having to wear super skimpy outfits! Yay!
  • Women's road cycling, I felt so bad for them on the rain on day 1, that looked miserable and slippery.
  • I do not understand judo or fencing.

U.S. mens gymnastics team. Loved the guy with the glasses. Loved their enthusiasm!

Commentator said "Gold celebration for a bronze medal".
As it should be.

Women's 7's rugby - semi-finals
ahahahahaha! Canada will play for Gold! (or silver... it'll be silver, but still!)
Woooooo!

I am hype to see us get absolutely owned by NZ (again).

Canada lost, but we didn't get totally owned. I'm ok with this.

As someone who was told in grade school that I/girls couldn't play rugby because it "would damage our ovaries" (I played anyways, just with women twice my age on a community and university team), I am deeply chuffed to see the generation after me win silver at the Olympics.

Seriously, fuck those old British and New Zealander men teachers and rugby coaches at my school who said women couldn't play.

I'm happy to see Ireland's swimming medals! I always root for them, but it doesn't seem like they win very often.

Can I say that it's some real bullshit that decathletes get one medal.

Every time a swimmer breaks a most medals in one Olympics it feels like cheating.

Also, congrats to Summer McIntosh for being the first Canadian to win 3 golds at an Olympic games. She's a swimmer, obvs.