[Announcement] One less dictator...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
He has been. It's on CNN, Al Jazeera and other reputable places. I just wonder who's going to take his place and how we know he'll be better. We've fucked this up in the past...

Well the defacto head of the National Council has spent time in one of the CIA's torture prisons. That can't be helpful to our future cooperation.

Well the defacto head of the National Council has spent time in one of the CIA's torture prisons. That can't be helpful to our future cooperation.
Your assuming he's not already in our pocket because we broke him during his stay.

In all seriousness, yes... it's going to be tense for a few years, but I doubt they'll do anything stupid. Europe will pressure them into a more controllable state, mainly because they don't want the US to go to war with such a big oil exporter. They'll be ungrateful assholes like everyone else we've ever helped though.

Wait a sec . . . are we SURE he was killed by the rebels? Nobody happened to see a flying DeLorean with a sniper rifle sticking out of the window, did they?

Shannow

Staff member
I now expect Weekly World news or asome such to put out

"STEINBRENNER ASSASSIN TAKES OUT KHADAFY!!!"

North_Ranger

Staff member
I have to say, I'm pessimistic about Libya's future. If my understanding of the situation is correct, the only thing the rebels had in common was that they wanted Gadhafi dead, D-E-D, dead! Now that's accomplished, there's likely gonna be a helluva lot of infighting ahead as there is - again, to my understanding - little to no central leadership to take over the power vacuum.

There's also the notion that Gadhafi held onto power by playing off the various tribal groupings of Libya against each other. Now that he's gone, I wouldn't be surprised if the gloves really come off.

I have to say, I'm pessimistic about Libya's future. If my understanding of the situation is correct, the only thing the rebels had in common was that they wanted Gadhafi dead, D-E-D, dead! Now that's accomplished, there's likely gonna be a helluva lot of infighting ahead as there is - again, to my understanding - little to no central leadership to take over the power vacuum.

There's also the notion that Gadhafi held onto power by playing off the various tribal groupings of Libya against each other. Now that he's gone, I wouldn't be surprised if the gloves really come off.
Yeah. Arguments I've heard for tolerating dictators in the Middle East go that they are very likely better than the unknown alternative. I guess we will soon see how this pans out in the case of Libya.

Gaddafi was a brutal SOB, but he had renounced terrorism in recent years and worked together with the West. Also under his rule electricity, water, education and health services were free, funded by oil revenue. All this does not excuse his failings on other fronts, of course, but let's just say I hope the quality of life for the ordinary libyans will improve under the coming administration(s).

Speaking of which, below is an excerpt from a statement by the libyan authorities stating that new laws in Libya would be based on the Sharia, though they seem to be downplaying the significance and assuring moderation.

Associated Free Press said:
The announcement that Islamic sharia law will be the basis of legislation in newly liberated Libya has raised concerns, especially among women, despite Islamists insisting moderation will prevail.

Interim leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil said on Sunday, during his speech to the nation in Benghazi to formally declare the country's liberation from the ousted regime of Moammer Kadhafi, that sharia would be Libya's principal law.

"Any law that violates sharia is null and void legally," he said, citing as an example the law on marriage passed during the slain dictator's 42-year tenure that imposed restrictions on polygamy, which is permitted in Islam.

"The law of divorce and marriage... This law is contrary to sharia and it is stopped," Abdel Jalil said.

His comments have provoked criticism and calls for restraint both in Libya and in Europe, amid fears that the Arab Spring may give rise to a potentially intolerant Islamist resurgence.

Many Libyans awaiting Sunday's historic speech expressed surprise at the decision by the National Transitional Council leader to mention the role of sharia law in the new country before addressing such important issues as security and education.
Your assuming he's not already in our pocket because we broke him during his stay.

In all seriousness, yes... it's going to be tense for a few years, but I doubt they'll do anything stupid. Europe will pressure them into a more controllable state, mainly because they don't want the US to go to war with such a big oil exporter. They'll be ungrateful assholes like everyone else we've ever helped though.
I'm also of the opinion that they are unlikely to anything stupid internationally, at least in the short run, as they will have their hands full for a couple of years in rebuilding their country into a free and liberal secular democracy in the best case, or fighting a new round of civil wars in the worst case. The latter might of course result in hardships for ordinary libyans, refugee exoduses into neighbouring countries and Europe, an increase in radicalism in Libya, and disruptions in the production and export of crude. I.e. "Bad Stuff".

But I am a bit unsure of the ability of Europe to directly influence the course of events in Libya. They can probably find other buyers for their oil, and I believe Europe at present lacks both the will and the means for a more sustained and possibly forceful commitment.

As for gratitude, I believe few if any modern states do what it is they do out of the goodness of their hearts, to the extent of taking a hit for somebody else's benefit. So I think gratitude beyond simple declarations for doing something you've judged to be in your own interests to begin with might prove elusive. If you continue to be in a position to influence or assist them, they'll work with you; otherwise, I believe the circumstances at hand will have a greater bearing on their decisions than past favors.

Offensive joke: what do Gaddafi and Freddie Mercury have in common?
Answer: both died after getting shot up a sewage pipe.

But I am a bit unsure of the ability of Europe to directly influence the course of events in Libya. They can probably find other buyers for their oil, and I believe Europe at present lacks both the will and the means for a more sustained and possibly forceful commitment.
Europe is a very close neighbor and has enough force projection to shut down the entire Mediterranean if they need to. They are also on much better terms with them than the US. Libya will listen to them much more than they listen to us.

I find it a bit difficult to imagine what Libya could realistically do to muster the kind of resolve in Europe needed for a renewed military commitment. My take on why operation Unified Protector happened in the first place was because certain major european leaders wanted to regain the initiative after some embarrassing developments during the Arab Spring, and declared for a side. But they miscalculated, and the side they had chosen to support actually began losing. So they commenced military operations to prevent a mistake from turning into a disaster. But now it's over, the evil dictator has been removed, and the troops can come home leaving the libyans themselves to deal with the aftermath.

I must say I have a less encouraging picture of european power projection capabilities than you. Europe's showing in Kosovo was less than encouraging in that respect, and, although the area was actually within Europe itself, the entire operation would not have been possible without significant participation by US assets. In Libya the US tanker aircraft were of particular importance. European capabilities are improving, but I don't think we are quite yet where Europe could sustain a substantial operation by itself.

As to the libyans listening to us... Well, we have carrots, but not so much in the stick department I think. Which can make for a difficult situation for diplomacy, especially if the factions there begin shooting at each other.

When it comes to Libya, Europe has a big bargaining stick. Euros for Oil, they can easily send their cash to Saudi Arabia. Also Saudi Arabia can open up the taps and easily surpass Libya's oil output.

You don't think such oil guzzlers as China and India will be more than happy to buy libyan oil, particularly if they get it at a reduced price due to a drop in demand? Similar concerns have been voiced over the EU's ban on oil imports from Syria following the disturbances there. And Libya produces about four times as much oil per day, making it a much more attractive bulk supplier.

I have nothing as such against either India or China getting libyan oil. But it would kind of reduce the impact of a european oil import ban on Libya, don't you think?

Not really. India and China would be able to negotiate reduced prices because of the lack of demand. They'd be making some money but nearly as much.

Not really. India and China would be able to negotiate reduced prices because of the lack of demand. They'd be making some money but nearly as much.
Depends on the price they agree upon, of course, but apparently your estimates and mine greatly differ on the impact this would have on Europe's ability to influence Libya.

Here is a piece on the EU oil embargo on Syria. It deals a bit with the then-current loss of Libyan production as well.

edit: Can't actually link like that without violating Terms of Use. Oh well, I'll see if I can dig up something else.

edit:

An article on Foreign Affairs detailing oil price worries over Arab Spring, shedding some light on the demand-supply aspects and substitution worries.

A lengthier article on the same on The Economist, featuring the graph below on oil demand forcasts:

In general terms, Libya has high-quality crude, with pre-war production at about 1.5 million barrels per day, and has the largest proven reserves in Africa. I'd be surprised if India and China (particularly China with it's significant investments into oil in Africa and a projected 70% growth in demand by 2015 from 2009 levels according to IEA) wouldn't want to tap dat (pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.