Paul McCartney Stuns Manhattan

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elph

Paul McCartney Stuns Manhattan With Set on Letterman’s Marquee

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... s-marquee/

There's a full 22 minute clip of the set at the link too.

Paul McCartney played a surprise mini-concert for thousands of New Yorkers in midtown Manhattan yesterday from the top of the marquee for the Ed Sullivan Theater, where he was taping a performance for Late Show With David Letterman. News of the event spread via Twitter and word of mouth, and nearby street corners were closed off to accommodate fans for the 5:30 p.m. set that recalled the Beatles’ famed Abbey Road rooftop gig. In 1964, the Beatles made their U.S. television debut on The Ed Sullivan Show in the same studio Letterman now inhabits.

McCartney, in town to inaugurate the Mets’ new home at Citi Field with three concerts beginning tomorrow, played the Beatles “Get Back” and “Sing the Changes” off his latest CD Electric Arguments for the broadcast. “Well, that was the end of the show you can see on the telly if you stay up that late,” McCartney told the crowd gathered below — a mix of tourists, die-hard fans who skipped out of work early and a few dozen residents of nearby buildings who perched in their windows to watch the show — before launching into an additional five songs including “Band on the Run,” “Helter Skelter” and “Back in the U.S.S.R.”

Between songs McCartney joked with his audience, asking, “Shouldn’t some of you be at work? What’s that?” and imploring of a police officer, “Can we stay a little longer? Please?” — he even waved to passengers on a tour bus heading down the street during “Let Me Roll It.” As 6 p.m. approached, McCartney wished the crowd a good night and a good life, before flashing a peace sign and ducking back into the building.

On the broadcast, Letterman jested that he’s been begging McCartney to be on the show for years, to which Paul deadpanned, “I don’t like the show.”

E

elph

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]Hey, has anyone seen where Calleja wandered off to...?

Yeah, he was the main reason I posted this. I hope he can see the video from where he's at.

I'm not a huge Beatles / McCartney fan, but I did watch the full clip & interview.

THE ROOFTOP CONCERT WAS FOR LET IT BE NOT ABBEY ROAD DAMN YOU, IGNORANT ARTICLE!!!!

oh, yeah, and also... I love you elph

-- less than a minute ago --

torrenting the letterman episode with him now :heart:

(i usually only watch conan)

E

elph

Does anyone know a way to pull that video from the website? Not the Youtube one, but the 22 minute one on top.

E

elph

Calleja said:
I'd appreciate it, it doesn't seem to load for me

I grabbed the Letterman show (great show overall - I normally don't bother with any late night show) and it has the first part of the set with the other video being the rest. I figured I'd store both of them though.

redthirtyone said:
I think that was more descriptive of the locale of the 1969 rooftop concert rather than the content.
Well, that's just as stupid as it was atop Apple Corp Headquarters near Picadilly Circus, not Abbey Road. :eek:rly:

Calleja said:
redthirtyone said:
I think that was more descriptive of the locale of the 1969 rooftop concert rather than the content.
Well, that's just as stupid as it was atop Apple Corp Headquarters near Picadilly Circus, not Abbey Road. :eek:rly:

Apple.. Abbey... its all the same right? :paranoid:

Nothing to see here... move along... erathe erathe *waves hands*

Heh. :tongue:

I just watched the show. Wow, that was awesome. I got goosebumps when Get Back started... rooftop like. Awesomeness.

Paul is still hilarious. and Bruce Willis "doing a lame top ten just so he could meet Paul McCartney" :rofl:

Thanks elph, I would have probably missed this if it weren't for the thread.

Have you managed to download the full set of his marquee concert thing?

E

elph

Calleja said:
Thanks elph, I would have probably missed this if it weren't for the thread.

Have you managed to download the full set of his marquee concert thing?
No problem.

I haven't gotten to download it, but you can see it all on YouTube.

I don't know a lot of the names of the songs, but the major ones you may want to see are:
Band on the Run
Back in the USSR
Helter Skelter

Then there were 2 or 3 others from Wings, but I can't remember the names of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.