Export thread

PC local music player of choice?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Let's try this again, knowing full well what to expect from the peanut gallery this time. :p

After the rumors of iTunes shutting it's doors, I downloaded all my music back off the cloud. After days of retagging and resorting, I'm finally set to put it all back on my desktop. So the question is still what, if anything, are you using as your music player for local files on your PC? I'm still using iTunes for now as I go back to find replacements for old 128kbps tracks. I've still got about 375 of them. Out of ~25K songs, that's not bad?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I stream all my music, so... is winamp still a thing? I once heard it kicks the llama's ass.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I stream all my music, so... is winamp still a thing? I once heard it kicks the llama's ass.
It's been mostly forgotten, but supposedly version 6 is coming this year?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Let's try this again, knowing full well what to expect from the peanut gallery this time. :p
Huh.
There was drama about me and I missed it? I always miss the drama, dangit.
In all seriousness, I want to be able to help with this, I just have no experience in this category of software, and I felt I needed to publicly state that lest some people get the idea that I wasn't offering suggestions because I was deliberately avoiding the thread.

Best of luck, and if you find something good, I hope you post a review of whatever made it awesome for you.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Huh.
There was drama about me and I missed it? I always miss the drama, dangit.
In all seriousness, I want to be able to help with this, I just have no experience in this category of software, and I felt I needed to publicly state that lest some people get the idea that I wasn't offering suggestions because I was deliberately avoiding the thread.

Best of luck, and if you find something good, I hope you post a review of whatever made it awesome for you.

--Patrick
Heck, I may *still* just wind up with iTunes after all. :p My portable player is still my iPhone, and as long as I can either use the cloud with iTunes Match (still a good selling point to stick with what I've got) or load up local storage with albums, iTunes is still the front runner. But sticking with the same old same old all these years can get a little boring. I get the urge to tinker with something new and/or different.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I use VLC, but I haven't been listening to a lot of music lately, and I've never used anything for library management other than the folders the files are stored in.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Sadly, I don't really have anything useful to add. I mostly either stream, or listen to actual factual real life cds/discs. Otherwise, I just use Windows media player, like a chump.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I actually do use winamp, both for streaming and local files, on PC.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Used to use winamp..back when it whipped the llama's ass.
Used to use realplayer too.

Both ended up disappointing me as they became more popular and bloated

Denbrought

Denbrought

To repeat myself, foobar2000 is great for local playback. Very fond of the UI.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

To repeat myself, foobar2000 is great for local playback. Very fond of the UI.
To repeat myself too, foobar2000 is my go to player for converting FLAC to something a little more portable-friendly. :)

evilmike

evilmike

Have you considered...
?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Have you considered...
?
There was a time when I was a kid where my parents actually preferred the 8-track format. :Leyla:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Whatever happened to Winamp?

Short answer: Shoutcast ate it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

... I still use winamp.

PatrThom

PatrThom

As did the people in the article (which includes a link to download it if you're so inclined).

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

He's a bit more of a stickler than I am. I'm on 5.666, rather than 5.03a.