Export thread

Peanut Butter vs. Jelly

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

No, you cannot say "butter" or any other substitution.
No, you cannot say both.
You absolutely MUST choose one or the other.

This is a battle to the death, folks. The kind of poll that will result in an epic argument that will last hundreds of pages. It will destroy friendships. It will create and then split alliances. Cats and dogs, living together! Babies having babies!

Go.

General Specific

General Specific

Peanut butter because it is more versatile. I can have a peanut butter & jelly sandwich or a peanut butter and honey sandwich, but I have never had a honey & jelly sandwich.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ah, but...have you ever heard of a peanut butter donut?

I think not.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I think not.
Why can't we just live in harmony?!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I think not.
Ah, but they do exist!:

Stan's Peanut Butter Donuts

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

/thread

Seriously, discussion over.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

@figment pez and Cheesy

Well...sonova...

PatrThom

PatrThom

You forgot:

--Patrick

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I didn't, they're fantastic but Reese's Pieces are superior.

But I'm still going to buy a bag of the m&ms tomorrow :D

Denbrought

Denbrought

On the one hand, I didn't try peanut butter until I was like 15 (still haven't had a PBJ sammy, too), so jam has all the nostalgia flavour... OTOH, peanut butter is freakin' delicious...

Jam. Because there's so many more flavours.

Emrys

Emrys

And it has to be extra chunky peanut butter. None of this wussy-ass smooth crap.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Reese's Pieces are much smoother inside (and make a better cookie ingredient), but the M&Ms have that salty Reese's taste. They're forbidden in this household since Kati will obliterate them on sight.

Also, peanut butter goes with far more than jelly. Peanut butter and crispy bacon is a favorite. So is peanut butter and cheddar cheese.

--Patrick

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

And it has to be extra chunky peanut butter. None of this wussy-ass smooth crap.
Smooth PB is best PB. Deal with it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You're ok sometimes, copper.

Jay

Jay

I voted Jelly. Love me my strawberry jam. :)

Emrys

Emrys

That's so cute.
But it's wrong!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah, if it's not chunky/natural, it's just artificial flavors of peanut butter!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Chunky peanut butter and hot sauce sandwhich FTW!

Jax

Jax

I also prefer peanut butter, but some people take their love of peanut butter too far...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If I must choose...

Jelly can be replaced with so many other things (fluffernutter, anyone?), but PB is PB. It is the foundation so many millions of noms are based around.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

JELLY

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Frank

Frankie Williamson

As much as I like raspberry jam, it ain't no peanut butter. I used to eat that shit by the spoonful as a child.

Gusto

Gusto

As much as I like raspberry jam, it ain't no peanut butter. I used to eat that shit by the spoonful as a child.
This precisely.

Philosopher B.

Smooth PB is best PB.
I'm always smooth ... with the ladies.

:csi:

LordRendar

LordRendar

PB all the way.And it has to be Chunky.Smooth PB is for babies and old people without teeth.
I love to make sauces for my meat using PB. Now im Hungry....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Peanut Butter is the only reason I ever buy Jelly.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

PB, it killsmore kids each year than jelly and hanguns combined!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dave

Dave

21 - 3 Peanut Butter over Jelly. I think the winner is clear.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Peanut butter, because there are no urban legends about dogs involving jelly.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Peanut butter, because there are no urban legends about dogs involving jelly.
That was just a legend? >.>

Gared

Gared

Yes, yes, the winner is clear. I, on the other hand, prefer jelly/jam over peanut butter any day. While I love Reese's Pieces and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, due to an old (middle school) football coach's insistence that if I would eat peanut butter toast in the morning and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch I would definitely bulk up some - I loathe the food that I used to love, namely peanut butter toast. Oh, and he was wrong. I lost weight on his special diet (I was scrawny all the way up to age 20, when I ballooned out). Besides, I make my own jams and jellies, I suppose I could make my own peanut butter, but why?

Chibibar

Peanut Butter mainly there are more variety of things you can do with it (different bake goods, food and sweets)

Jelly, if we are talking of actual jelly (out of the jar) then not so much IMO.

klew

klew

PB, it killsmore kids each year than jelly and hanguns combined!
That's good for the gene pool!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Until the day I was taught by my woman how to make a peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie sandwich, I had never really lived.
Added at: 12:34

SWEET JESUS.

strawman

strawman

What has become of you, Halforums? This should have been the very first response to the op!

I, for one, am disappointed in you.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

This topic should be renamed as "Moderately Lame" it never reached the heights it predicted and is now flat as peanut butter toast on the kitchen floor. It's not like we were discussing how to cook bacon, is just PB&J.

The proper way to cook bacon is draped over a turkey naturally.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

OR draped over turkey, duck, chickens and cornish hens and veal sausage.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Peanut butter for sure. Jelly is just kinda...sad and boring. Jam and preserves are much better.

strawman

strawman

I can eat a spoonfull of peanut butter.

I cannot eat a spoonfull of jelly.

QED.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner. I feel good.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I have a big jar of mayhaw that's making this difficult... but I gotta choose peanut butter. It gets me through those weeks when I really don't want to go grocery shopping. Also, it makes oatmeal more filling.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have a big jar of mayhaw
Is that like Goobers?

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Is that like Goobers?

--Patrick
That's just eww.

Emrys

Emrys

You're right. It's much better with strawberry jam.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Raspberry jam I think is what you meant.

strawman

strawman

NO ONE GIVES ME THE RESPBERRY!

Fun Size

Fun Size

Are we still talking about the dog?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Mayhaw's just a type of jelly. The fellow's dad gives me jars of homemade all the time. :)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Jelly or marmalade on a slice of toast, yummy.

But to be honest, my argument is biased as I've only once had a PB&J sandwich. It was in an American Voices conference my alma mater's English Department organizes every fall, with both serious and humorous lectures from students, international students, visiting Fulbright professors and once by the US ambassador (who was a really swell guy, all in all :) ). One of the US students had her thirty minutes on the importance of PB&J in American culture, and of course she provided us with samples ;) Yummy, to be honest. But the problem is, I'd have a better chance of finding Bovril or vegemite than PB - of any variety - in an average grocery store.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Peanut butter for sure. Jelly is just kinda...sad and boring. Jam and preserves are much better.
Good point. When I hear jelly, I lump it together with jam and preserves even though they're not the same thing. That makes it an easier decision. But, man, fig preserves...

Denbrought

Denbrought

But the problem is, I'd have a better chance of finding Bovril or vegemite than PB - of any variety - in an average grocery store.
Mmmm Bovril <3

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Peanut Butter = cookies, sandwiches, Reese's cups (regular, miniature, and mini), pb and pretzels, pb & chocolate mixed in a bowl, cookies with chunky pb, toast, crackers, pb & ritz crackers covered in chocolate...

I can be all types of Bubba (Forrest Gump) about peanut butter.

Jelly, meh.