[Comics] Penny Arcade's Strip Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need more comic strip oriented challenges. Isn't that the whole point of the thing? Some folks have barely proven they can do that.

They need more comic strip oriented challenges. Isn't that the whole point of the thing? Some folks have barely proven they can do that.
What's weird is that people get put up for elimination based on things non-comic-related things and then have to draw to save their lives.

Lexxy and Tavis both got put up for elimination for poor showing during a Twitter competition, and then while judging them, Mike went on a tear wondering why two excellent people were both put up for elimination!

BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T BEING JUDGED ON THEIR CRAFT

It's alright. They can just eliminate the next two they don't like and bring back the one they like whenever the competitions don't turn out the "right way"

What's weird is that people get put up for elimination based on things non-comic-related things and then have to draw to save their lives.

Lexxy and Tavis both got put up for elimination for poor showing during a Twitter competition, and then while judging them, Mike went on a tear wondering why two excellent people were both put up for elimination!

BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T BEING JUDGED ON THEIR CRAFT
I think they keep forgetting that sometime the most well rounded cartoonist they are -supposedly- looking for will not be the best at artwork neccessarily.
I think for the purposes of what they want out of the cartoonist the twitter challenge is a good lesson for aspiring artists who want to grow their brand and audience. However the twitter challenge should have been a reward challenge and not the elimination qualifier.

Also if they were so concerned about the caliber of artwork that gets sent to elimination they should have the external guest judges choose the eliminees. Kurtz also shouldnt have been the tutor for how to behave in the online public space. He would be better for how to promote yourself to companies and partnerships as he is pretty adept and marketing himself thatway despite his the fact he likes to run his mouth.

That may be but by andlarge I agree with his assessments of various contestants tweeting choices. The only reservation I have is with Tavis' assessment, since he was mostly silent. Not being on Twitter/not being vocal is perfectly valid but I guess that wasn't in the spirit of the competition.

Zappit

Staff member
Eh, the show's kind of turning into a joke. Putting Kurtz up as a judge on the social media challenge is like a couple going to Chris Brown for marriage counseling. Making a social media challenge an elimination challenge in the first place was terrible, as it has really nothing to do with actual cartooning.

Some of the challenges have been suspect. I get that doing commission work is very realistic, there was no prize in the Magic challenge. It just looked liked Wizards of the Coast found a way to get easy publicity and high quality spec work. Shouldn't they be trying to teach these artists how not to get used by commissioners like that?

The sculpting challenge just made me frown, even though Derpy-Pug was cute.

It just seems like this show was not planned out well. If it's about cartooning, make it about cartooning. Work from a script. Design new characters. Reboot a terrible old comic. Those are challenges that could really show just how good these people really are.

Cartooning is what got the contestants on the show. There needs to be variety in the challenges to make them interesting, which they all have been. The morning challenges are social, the afternoon challenges are business, and the elimination challenges are cartooning under pressure.

If you notice, the reason they put Kurtz on the social media challenge is that he's been in it so long and made so many mistakes with them he gets the mistakes.

The prize in the commission challenge was getting the commission (and putting two other competitors up for elimination). All the business challenges have been about useful skills in the business of webcomics.

And he just kept drinking... and drinking.

I'm sad to see Amy go. Maki's comic was definitely better, and I love Maki, but it's a shame that Amy only started to open up at the end. I really started to like her.

I just like that he pulls the blender off his face and his mouth and neck art covered in fruit slurry and he's instantly like, "MAKI."

Maki's elimination comic was the fourth one that I've at least chuckled at, and I laughed out loud at the last panel.

Maki's was good. It would have been better with less text, yes, but I don't think I would have faulted him for that as much as the guys did.

Got to say, I'm surprised how many of the artists never drive.
It really depends where you're from I think. I was not surprised to hear that Erica never drives since she's from Portland. I have over a dozen friends from there in their mid twenties and only 2 have a driver's license. It still boggles my mind sometimes that you wouldn't want at least a driver's license so you can help travel with someone or be able to drive if the need arises.

Anyway I was really expecting someone to end up in the lake. It looks like they came so close at times.

Got to say, I'm surprised how many of the artists never drive.
Those karts are surprisingly finnicky if they're anything like the course we have here. Though, they were still pretty generally bad.

Though, why none of them did the side to side skid to build up a turbo boost is beyond me.

Those karts are surprisingly finnicky if they're anything like the course we have here. Though, they were still pretty generally bad.

Though, why none of them did the side to side skid to build up a turbo boost is beyond me.
I kept waiting for someone to throw a shell.

Good challenge this episode.

Lexxy is fucking insufferable.
Oh, what's that? You're not even top 3. I wish they'd gotten her impressions of that.
I can only imagine what a nightmare she would make as a coworker. You've already been elminated once, how can you have so much arrogance? If she wins, it's the worst thing.

Rough for the winner though not having any information about how the other contestants did in the challenge with which to make elimination choices.

That was totally on purpose, though.

Good challenge this episode.

Lexxy is fucking insufferable.
Oh, what's that? You're not even top 3. I wish they'd gotten her impressions of that.
I can only imagine what a nightmare she would make as a coworker. You've already been elminated once, how can you have so much arrogance? If she wins, it's the worst thing.
I don't think it's so much arrogance as it is endless optimism and positivity.

I am curious, though, if they'll release the information on how each contestant did.

I don't think it's so much arrogance as it is endless optimism and positivity.

I am curious, though, if they'll release the information on how each contestant did.
Yeah, I don't get the feeling that Lexxy has an over-inflated opinion of herself. I think she's just optimistic.

I got the idea from Tavis's confessional that his choices were made mostly as a way of throwing Abby to the wolves.

Abby actually impressed me. I've hated her all show, but when she finally throws off the sad sack routine and shows what she can do, she's pretty awesome.

Erika made a great comic about Strip Search today on her new comic site, OhJoySexToy.com (site is EXTREMELY NSFW, btw, this comic itself isn't though):
That just about sums up why I like this show so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.