Pirate Avatar Week - Used to be September 19: Talk Like A Pirate Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Twitch

September 19: Talk Like A Pirate Day

Today be a day of vast celebratin'
For today our pirate 'prentice rises from indentures free! Strong his arm and keen his scent is he's a pirate now indeed!

P

Philosopher B.

Ahoy there, me hearties. I had the urge to re-fit me avatar when I saw one o' yourn, then I re-membered how I allus post anyways. Ahar har.

((In case ye need any pointers))

T

TwoBit

I'm not buying that. I'll just torrent it.

Am I talking like a pirate yet? Am I doing it right? Huh? Huh?

P

Philosopher B.

I'm not buying that. I'll just torrent it.

Am I talking like a pirate yet? Am I doing it right? Huh? Huh?
Argh, ye scurvy dog. Yer vocabulary be 'orrible.

((As an aside, seein' as how much ye love the antics of those Hill Valley landlubbers, maybe ye'd care to re-watch Mac the Black? Ahar har har))

Odds bobs hammer and tongs! Pipe down you saltless scugs and learn of yer great frozen breathrent to tha north!

C

Cuyval Dar

Arrrrrgh! It be a Trap!!
:arg::ackbar:

T

ThatNickGuy

OMG! It's General AckbaRRRRR!

C

Cuyval Dar

OMG! It's General AckbaRRRRR!
Nay, lad, I be Admiral AckbaRRRRR!
My fleet be the most wretched hive of scum and villainy you'll ever see sail the 7 galaxseas. My smugglers, cutthroats and nerfherders be the scruffiest around.

:arg:

North_Ranger

Staff member

Arrrr, it be already September 20th, yet I see plenty o' cut-throats, salty dogs and buccaneer wenches still around!

What ARRRRe we to do now?

figmentPez

Staff member

YARRRR, claim it be Pirate ye Avatar week!
Ye scurvy dogs! Just wait until my mom says I'm old enough to have a cutlass!

:angry: She took away the one I'd made out of a stick and some cardboard. She said "Pirates are not allowed to steal their sister's dessert". *hrmph* Pirates steal whatever they want, that's why they're pirates.

North_Ranger

Staff member
And a bit from Finland: Rosvo-Roope ('Pirate Robert(s)' ;) ), by Rafael Farmsted in early 20th century, and re-written in the 1949 film of the same name with Finland's Rudolph Valentino, Tauno Palo, playing the leading role. Here's both the original song and the 1997 English version by the Delta Rhythm Boys.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVzxw22bFkg&feature=related"]Tauno Palo - Rosvo Roope [1949][/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7eImuFcqc&feature=related"]Rosvo-Roope/Raunchy Ropey[/ame]

W

Wasabi Poptart

The video be a stinkin' pile o' whale dung, but tis a song that would e'en make the saltiest dog sing along!

figmentPez

Staff member
Also a question for people who have played Secret of Monkey Island, should I play the 2nd before I play the new Tales of Monkey Island?
Depends on how much you care about getting subtle in-jokes. Mostly you should be fine playing the MI games out of order.

So far in my play of TMI, there have been a lot more jokes made from Curse of Monkey Island than anything I've noticed from SMI2.

K well I just finished the first one like 3 minutes ago :p

I dunno if I am going to try and find the 4 other games before I play Tales.

The 3rd and 4th look sweet... does the 2nd one have voice acting and stuff? Probably not eh? I switched the the old version a couple times while playing the Special Edition Secret of Monkey Island and yeah there is no way I would have played the whole game through like that...

figmentPez

Staff member
The 3rd and 4th look sweet... does the 2nd one have voice acting and stuff? Probably not eh? I switched the the old version a couple times while playing the Special Edition Secret of Monkey Island and yeah there is no way I would have played the whole game through like that...
Curse of Monkey Island is my favorite game in the series. Murray the skull is probably the greatest talking skull in video games. Yes, even better than Morte from Planescape: Torment.

Escape from Monkey Island is not so sweet. It was a big dissapointment. Not truly terrible, but definitely not as good as the rest of the series.

SMI2 does lack voice acting. Playing it would be just like classic mode of SMI:SE, only longer and and with more difficult puzzles. Hopefully LA will make LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.