well it submitted my thread twice so I guess this thread is now about pizza

phil

phil

Big chain delivery= Papa Johns

Frozen= Red Barron

Local= DeBlazios

[/thread]

Kitty Sinatra

I may just have to order some now. Thanks man.

---------- Post added 09-14-2009 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-13-2009 at 11:57 PM ----------

Ordered. Hot peppers, bacon and pepperoni. Hot sauce on the side.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Salami, bacon, kebab meat and chicken.

Restaurant pizza (in my hometown): Fantasia deepdish (salami, chicken, barbeque sauce, shrimp) at Rosso.

Pojodan

Delivery: Papa Johns. Occasionally I get Pizza Hut for variety, but usually regret it.

Local pick-up: Pizza Schmizza. Expensive as hell, but really freaking good. Usually only go if I have a coupon

Frozen: DiGiorno Self-Rising. Just the right size for a full day's eatting when I'm house sitting for my parents

Best anywhere: Paddington's in Salem, Oregon. Hot damn, that's good pizza.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Also forgot to mention... most pizza places hereabouts are pizza/kebab places. The place I sometimes go for lunch? They play Turkish MTV and have a picture of the Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul framed on the wall.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZAAAAAAAAAA!

Cuyval Dar

Delivery: Papa Johns. Occasionally I get Pizza Hut for variety, but usually regret it.

Local pick-up: Pizza Schmizza. Expensive as hell, but really freaking good. Usually only go if I have a coupon

Frozen: DiGiorno Self-Rising. Just the right size for a full day's eatting when I'm house sitting for my parents

Best anywhere: Paddington's in Salem, Oregon. Hot damn, that's good pizza.
Good lord, yes. Pizza Schmizza is amazing.

DarkLordRaptor

Damn, you've made me hungry. Now I shall make a pizza out of you.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Big-chain: Papa Johns

Local: Carmine's in Jersey City.

Frozen: Who the hell in their right mind eats frozen pizza?!

Wasabi Poptart

Big Chain: Papa Johns

Local: Alexander's

Frozen: Freschetta or DiGiorno

Best Pizza places back home: Bruni's

phil

phil

Big-chain: Papa Johns

Local: Carmine's in Jersey City.

Frozen: Who the hell in their right mind eats frozen pizza?!

Well lookie what we got here. Hey boys, J.D. Rockefeller here don't eat no frozen pizza. Looks like when you live in the Ritz you ain't got time or need for no frozen pizzas. I hear that if you try to bring in pizza that don't cost 10 bucks plus tax and tip you can't get into the Opera houses these days. That true, Scrooge McDuck?

eeeeeeh, I'm just bitter. Don't mind me.

fade

fade

In before some European or purist comes in and rants about how American pizza isn't "real" pizza or some irritating crap like that we in the US have heard a million times and all know yet still don't care. Put it up there with soccer/football and multiple British accents. We know.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That's okay. I'm not the one eating frozen pizza. ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Do we ALL get Papa John's? That's mine and Faline's favorite too. Yummy pizza, yummy breadsticks.

Do we have a flavors topic too? I'm a pineapple and ham man myself.

Hylian

Hylian

Big Chain: tie between Papa John's and Garlic Jim's

Local: Not to many to choose from so I will say Farrelli's

Frozen: Granted there are some that taste really bad but after a set point they all start tasting the same.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Do we have a flavors topic too?
Good god, man, think of the children! :eek:

While I'm a "gimme the works" kind of guy when it comes to pizza, sometimes when I'm in the mood for something different I go for pineapple and ham. The tart-sweet and salty taste really works sometimes.

phil

phil

That's okay. I'm not the one eating frozen pizza. ;)[/QUOTE]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH big man JP Morgan here is takin' pity on the little guy eh? Don't bother gettin' off your throne of freshly made pizzas for the likes of us folk down here in our frozen wastelands. We know some big shot like you has some meeting to attend, or maybe a party over at William Randolph Hearst's place or somthin'.

If you need me, I sold a kidney and am feeling in the mood for little ceasars.

fade

fade

I'm going to have to disagree with the majority.
Big Chain: Pizza Hut

Papa John's is a little light on the ingredients and the sauce is sweetened, which I'm not a fan of.

Local: Well, despite the size of this city, there's not much besides Deano's. Which is okay, but it's nothing to write home about.

Frozen: They're all alright in a pinch. Sam's Club's brand is probably the best. But that's more take and cook than frozen.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

library

RealBigNuke

Bacon mushroom pepperoni sausage is my personal favorite.

Pineapple and anchovies are acceptable.

Unacceptable is bell peppers.

Rob King

Rob King

Here, most pizza places also sell donairs. As a result, donair pizzas exist. They're alright, but my favorite thing is to eat regular pizza dipped in donair sauce.

Also, 'garlic fingers' are very popular. It's essentially a pizza without pizza sauce or any other toppings other than a garlic spread and cheese. Pieces are cut into strips, rather than like typical slices. Most places also put bacon, or bacon bits over the top of the cheese as well. Most people eat their garlic fingers with donair sauce.

It breaks my heart every time I go to order garlic fingers while on the mainland, and realize that it just doesn't exist.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Delivery: I'm with Fade on the chains. I like Papa John crust but Pizza Hut sauce.

Local pick-up: Hide-away Pizza is pretty good.

Frozen: It's a crap-shoot.

Best anywhere: NY Pizza in Norman, OK. I know, I know, Oklahomans can't make pizza, but the place is owned and run by fellas from NY. The crust is amazing.

I will shoot anyone that orders pineapple and canadian bacon!!

It's either pepperoni and jalepenos or pepperoni and sausage. That's it.

Wasabi Poptart

Do we have a flavors topic too? I'm a pineapple and ham man myself.
Pepperoni, green peppers, onion, mushrooms and olives. But I can't get that pizza since I'm the only person in my house who will eat 90% of those ingredients.

phil

phil

Also, 'garlic fingers' are very popular. It's essentially a pizza without pizza sauce or any other toppings other than a garlic spread and cheese. Pieces are cut into strips, rather than like typical slices. Most places also put bacon, or bacon bits over the top of the cheese as well. Most people eat their garlic fingers with donair sauce.

It breaks my heart every time I go to order garlic fingers while on the mainland, and realize that it just doesn't exist.

Sounds like Bread Sticks, or sometimes cheesy bread to me. Have you tried asking for those? Bacon on a bread stick is news to me.....but seems so obvious a choice now.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Big Chain: A Double Mozza/Mushroom/Sausage/Pesto sauce pizza from Panago.

Local: Nitza's Donair Pizza

Frozen: Dr. Oetker's thin crust 4 cheese

JONJONAUG

Favorite thing to order right now is Dominoes personal sized pizza. Thick 6 inch pizza for $3.50 with anchovies. They really put the anchovies on there too, I have to order regular instead of extra like I normally do because if I order extra from my local Dominoes there's so much anchovies that you can't even see most of the cheese.

Andi

Drachenherz

In before some European or purist comes in and rants about how American pizza isn't "real" pizza or some irritating crap like that we in the US have heard a million times and all know yet still don't care. Put it up there with soccer/football and multiple British accents. We know.
As a European, I have to admit that I actually like the American Style Pizzas. Yes, they are different to the original Italian Style Pizza, but nevertheless they taste good.

Pizza is Pizza, and as long as I can eat it and it tastes well, I don't give a plumbers shit whether it's "real" or not.

That said, [insert steroetypic insult to americans here].

:)

chris

chris

everybody just order and buy pizza, nobody making their own ?

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I do occasionally, but it can be time consuming, I have to make it just right for me.

Andi

Drachenherz

*raises hand*

If I got the time, I make the dough my self from base, if I haven't got much time at hand, I use some pre-made dough.

For the topping: self-made Tomato-Sauce (it's a scret recipe... hehe), Mozarella Cheese, and usually some ham, pepperoni, onions, freshly cut tomato slices, mushrooms...

Oh great, now I feel hungry...

chris

chris

*raises hand*

If I got the time, I make the dough my self from base, if I haven't got much time at hand, I use some pre-made dough.

For the topping: self-made Tomato-Sauce (it's a scret recipe... hehe), Mozarella Cheese, and usually some ham, pepperoni, onions, freshly cut tomato slices, mushrooms...

Oh great, now I feel hungry...[/QUOTE]

sorry for making you hungry, but hey it´s almost lunch time (at least in middle europe). your topping-list sounds good, I put mostly the same stuff on it but always forget the pepperoni.

Andi

Drachenherz

@Chris: Oh, you come from Hamburg! I've been there for my summer vacation. It's a great city, I absolutely loved it.

Btw... this thread gives me the idea for another thread...

Kitty Sinatra

What the fuck is a donair?

I got Canadians from the East and West mentioning it, but I've never heard of them.

Rob King

Rob King

Sounds like Bread Sticks, or sometimes cheesy bread to me. Have you tried asking for those? Bacon on a bread stick is news to me.....but seems so obvious a choice now.
I've had something very similar to it when I went into a ... what's that southern pizza chain? It's set up buffet style, and someone told me that people in uniform (like police, or firefighters, or soldiers) eat for free. But as a rule, they're not nearly as popular as they are here.

Here, you order Pizza and Garlic Fingers. You eat Garlic Fingers first, and then move on to pizza.

Donairs are ... Greek or something. I have no idea why they're so popular in Atlantic Canada, but they are.

chris

chris

wait, donair is döner ?
I wondered the whole time what donair even is. It sounds like some kind of Italian Airline

Rob King

Rob King

wait, donair is döner ?
I wondered the whole time what donair even is. It sounds like some kind of Italian Airline
Hahah, yeah, it does sound like an airline.

And yes, it's an anglicization of 'Döner'.

Also, here's the Wikipedia stub for the aforementioned Garlic Fingers.

Andi

Drachenherz

wait, donair is döner ?
Btw, chris, what comic is your signature image from?

The priest on the right side... He seems quite familiar, but I don't remember the name of the comic.

Döners are turkish, btw., but the greek also have almost the same food, but it's called "pita", iIrc.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Saturday night is usually our go-out-and-have-a-few-beers date night, but money was tight this past weekend.

I cut up some chicken breast into bitesize pieces, egg & breadcrumbed it, and pan seared until done. Chicken parm calzone, baby! It was ginormous, and we were both very full afterwards :nod:

figmentPez

figmentPez

I love homemade pizza, especially on a whole wheat crust. I've gotten creative lately. I've made a breakfast pizza (cream gravy for sauce, topped with eggs, bacon, onions, green peppers, sausage nad colby/jack cheese), chicken potato (with chicken, parmesean potoatoes, green onions, bacon, mozzarella and a basil butter sauce) and barbecue chicken (BBQ sauce, red onions, grilled chicken, bacon and a blend of cheeses).

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I've had something very similar to it when I went into a ... what's that southern pizza chain? It's set up buffet style, and someone told me that people in uniform (like police, or firefighters, or soldiers) eat for free. But as a rule, they're not nearly as popular as they are here.

Here, you order Pizza and Garlic Fingers. You eat Garlic Fingers first, and then move on to pizza.

Donairs are ... Greek or something. I have no idea why they're so popular in Atlantic Canada, but they are.

[/QUOTE]

You can't go 2 blocks in Edmonton without a donair shop too.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Google approves of this thread...

Attachments

Wasabi Poptart

Looks like a gyro or kebab to me.

(and had I looked at your link I would have seen that is exactly what it is)

Frank

Frankie Williamson

After reading that wiki thing, I had no idea that the donairs we eat are so specialized to Atlantic Canada and Alberta. A world without donair pizza is not a world I want to live in.

Rob King

Rob King

After reading that wiki thing, I had no idea that the donairs we eat are so specialized to Atlantic Canada and Alberta. A world without donair pizza is not a world I want to live in.
Even the distribution doesn't make sense, though. I mean, Alberta and Atlantic Canada? Nothing in between?

And I don't think we have a lot of greek (or Turkish as someone has corrected) immigrants in this part of the country. I know in Newfoundland we're all pretty much from the British isles.

Chibibar

I do make my own pizza, but it takes up so much time :(

I usually order Papa John's (mmmm good stuff)

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

THANKS A BUNCH, GUYS!!! I had my heart set on Tex-Mex for dinner tonight, but DAMMIT now it has to be pizza!!!!

Maybe my maiden voyage to Mellow Mushroom is finally due...

Jake

Jake

THANKS A BUNCH, GUYS!!! I had my heart set on Tex-Mex for dinner tonight, but DAMMIT now it has to be pizza!!!!

I recommend the jerk chicken pizza. Mmmm....

Piotyr

Piotyr

Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, or Giordano's, please.

Kitty Sinatra

I'm sure they exist in Toronto. I probably just never took notice of them. I am aware of the existence of gyros around here.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Frozen= Red Barron

Local= DeBlazios

[/thread]
Papa John's is some bland, bland pizza. Dominoes at least has some flavor to the sauce and crust.

Frozen, Tony's or Red Baron, an occasional Tombstone thrown in.

Local is UFO Pizza, brick-oven cooked thin-crust pizza.

LordRendar

LordRendar

@Chris
where ya from in Hamburg? Im from Altona :D

Big Chain Delivery: New Dutchman from Joey's

Frozen: Dr. Oetkers Pizza Diablo

Local: Eisenstein's Stone Oven Rucola and Parma Ham Pizza

Jake

Jake

Frozen= Red Barron

Local= DeBlazios

[/thread]
Papa John's is some bland, bland pizza. Dominoes at least has some flavor to the sauce and crust.

Frozen, Tony's or Red Baron, an occasional Tombstone thrown in.

Local is UFO Pizza, brick-oven cooked thin-crust pizza.[/QUOTE]
I can't comment on your local, but everything else you listed is unequivocal ass.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Actually, the best pizza I've had in a long while was last year in Rockville Centre, New York (near Queens). I think the place was called Blue Moon. Only time I've had coal-oven pizza, I think.

Vagabond

V.Bond

National = Papa Johns (I'd say Vocelli Pizza, but it seems like that's strictly an east coast thing)

Frozen = Freschetta or DiGiorno

Local = Tommy Marcos' Ledo Restaurant

Cajungal

Cajungal

mmmmmm, Mellow Mushroom... Que Deliciosa.

Got a call from the fella; he wants us to make pizza this weekend. Won't be able to make my own crust with this bum thumb, but it'll still be good.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I just finished off a super donair. God damn. It was so good.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Döners (Donairs) are awsome after a hard night of Alcohol and Rock Musik.

Kovac

Kovac

Pizza is a rather sore point with me at the moment because we only have a finite number of the major franchises and essentially no independent ones.

Essentially all we have is dominos and pizza hut, and they have both reduced the size of their large pizza to the point where a single slice is tiny to the point of being silly.

And what else are you supposed to eat on DnD night?

Rob King

Rob King

I just finished off a super donair. God damn. It was so good.
I've been wanting a donair for some time now. There's a shop just down the road ...

Jake

Jake

So somebody bilingual (American and Canadian) tell me: is a donair a fucking gyro or what?

Andi

Drachenherz

Could it be that you reside in a more or less german speaking area?

Wasabi Poptart

So somebody bilingual (American and Canadian) tell me: is a donair a fucking gyro or what?
Yes it is.

Andi

Drachenherz

Yes, they are aproximately the same. afaik döner is the turkish name for this food, gyros is greek...

LordRendar

LordRendar

Could it be that you reside in a more or less german speaking area?[/QUOTE]

I live in Germany. So yeah.

@Jake

Yes,a Donair is actually Gyros stuck into a bread. the Pic posted previously is actually a Dürüm Döner (Donair). So the Donair actually has Greek roots.

Andi

Drachenherz

Could it be that you reside in a more or less german speaking area?[/quote]

I live in Germany. So yeah.

@Jake

Yes,a Donair is actually Gyros stuck into a bread. the Pic posted previously is actually a Dürüm Döner (Donair). So the Donair actually has Greek roots.[/QUOTE]

Almost thought so. There are not many (if any) non-german speakers/writers out there who use the ¨ . Well, maybe hungarians. Or swedes... Or french... Or some other weird european folks...

LordRendar

LordRendar

Almost thought so. There are not many (if any) non-german speakers/writers out there who use the ¨ . Well, maybe hungarians. Or swedes... Or french... Or some other weird european folks...
Yeah,thats how we Europeans like to roll.We use umlauts. :D

Andi

Drachenherz

Yeah,thats how we Europeans like to roll.We use umlauts. :D[/QUOTE]

There isn't even an english word for ¨ than the word "umlaut", taken from german, isn't it? At least, there is none that we are aware of. :p

LordRendar

LordRendar

Yeah,thats how we Europeans like to roll.We use umlauts. :D[/QUOTE]

There isn't even an english word for ¨ than the word "umlaut", taken from german, isn't it? At least, there is none that we are aware of. :p[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_(diacritic)

So it's actually called a diacritic mark. Who knew.Always thought umlaut was correct.

Andi

Drachenherz

Yeah,thats how we Europeans like to roll.We use umlauts. :D[/quote]

There isn't even an english word for ¨ than the word "umlaut", taken from german, isn't it? At least, there is none that we are aware of. :p[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_%28diacritic%29

So it's actually called a diacritic mark. Who knew.Always thought umlaut was correct.[/quote]

There's even an english wikipedia-page about "umlaut"? Didn't know that, thanks. :)

Dusty668

Chain delivery: Fuel
Local Joint: Mario's-The large is 30 inches, crust to crust.
Instead of frozen I'll get a bag of shredded mozz, pepperoni slices, precooked bacon, sketti sauce and english muffins. Assemble, bake, yum.

Gill Kaiser

I really like traditionally-cooked italian pizzas, but there aren't any restaurants near my house which specialise in them.

Fast-food pizza-wise, my favourite is Domino's Pizza, but only in the UK. When I tried one in the USA I found it horrific; I think they use a different type of cheese there. Anyway, I usually get a large pizza with pepperoni, tandoori chicken, jalapeno peppers, green peppers and onions. MMMMMH.

Gared

Gared

Chain Pizza: Dominos, because the individual stores for Papa John's and Pizza Hut in our area suck huge donkey balls (pizza hut likes to send us raw pizza and papa's is cold every time, even if they get here within 30 minutes of the order).

"Local:" Pizza Pipeline or Pizza Perfection. These were the pizza places of choice at WSU, where I went to school. They're cheap, flat, extremely cheesy, and delicious. Plus, Pizza Perfection used to have a buy 1 get 1 free carryout deal, so everyone went for that.

Frozen: Red Baron if I actually want to taste the pizza, Totino's Party Pizza if I just want something cheap and fast.

Homemade: I have a deepdish recipe that is always made with sausage, pepperoni, fresh mushrooms, red onions, and black olives. Also, my parents and I have been making the mini pizzas out of Wolfgang Puck's cookbook for years. They really like his smoked salmon pizza (I hate fish), and I love the idea of putting caramelized onions with pepperoni - is very tasty.

Personal creations: These two are really, really bad for you, and really, really tasty - even if they are made from crap ingredients.

1) Sausage pizza sandwich. Acquire 1lb of bulk ground sausage (I use Jimmy Dean's Hot or Bold sausage), and two of the aforementioned Totino's Party Pizzas, preferably peperoni. Brown and crumble the sausage, bake the pizzas, and use the pizzas as bread for the sausage.

2) "Biscuits" and sausage gravy. I recently bought 4 party pizzas and 2 lbs of sausage, but we ate one of the pizzas by itself so I didn't have enough for the sausage pizza sandwich. I did have sausage gravy makings though, so substitute party pizza for biscuit and add sausage gravy.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's 4 am and I am craving another Doner/Donair/Gyros/Dumlautonaccenteder so bad right now.

Rob King

Rob King

I had a Donair for supper last night. It was awesome.

Later in the night, for the House premiere, I walked to my friend's house. On the way, I also picked up a slice of pizza.