PM Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has never happened before, so I assume it happened while you were doing the work on the new shop and stuff and a hole got unplugged or something... but I got a PM notification e-mail this morning that's something like this:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear Calleja,

You have received a new private message at Halforums from lilian200, entitled "******@yahoo.com".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.halforums.com/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
******@yahoo.com
Hello.
My Name is lilian. I was impressed when i saw your profile at www.******lost.com and i will
like you to email me back to my inbox so that i can send you my picture for you to know who i am.i believe we can establish a long lasting relationship with you.
In addition,i will like you to reply me through my
private e mail box (******@yahoo.com).
This is because i dont know the possibilities of
remaining in forum for a long time.
Thanks,waiting to hear from you soonest.
lilian.

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
http://www.halforums.com/forum/private.php

All the best,
Halforums
Weird thing is it DID come from David at nihsen.com but I have no new PM notification in the forum itself.

What the eff?

Wait, we're both related to lillian? So...so you and I are related? I mean, I'm part Mexican, so I guess it's possible, but I never imagined...

MI HERMANO!!! :hug:

*wriggles out of the hug* Back off, cabron, or the salsa-covered machete comes out. :angry:

Does it say we're related! NO! She was fake hitting on me! Spammers are now hitting on me.

....well, it was bound to happen, I guess. Everybody else already does. :smug:

Dave

Staff member
...you people can look at our PRIVATE messages!?

Wait, really!?!

*erases a bunch*
In the admin area, you can delete all PMs to or from a user. Reading doesn't enter into it.

But the admins could if we wanted.

This could be prevented from happening again by requiring users to have X forums posts before being able to PM. I remember this was an option in the phpBB2 forum I moderated, idk in here.

Cajungal

Staff member
If they are related, Calleja is going to feel even weirder about his attraction to Fun Size.
Damnit, Allen, that confused me. For a minute I thought I had posted that, and I started to go nuts trying to remember writing it. I can't stand when I can't remember things that happened just a few hours ago. That's not supposed to happen for a long time.

Dave

Staff member
This could be prevented from happening again by requiring users to have X forums posts before being able to PM. I remember this was an option in the phpBB2 forum I moderated, idk in here.
I put in flood protection instead of that because we have had instances where new people come in and would like to use the PM system. For example, D&D information or cosplay stuff.

But I could do that if I wanted to. :biggrin:

I thought maybe the spammer did it in alphabetical order, so since Calleja got one I should have gotten one too. But I didn't.

Even the spammer thinks I'm not important enough to spam. :(

Cajungal

Staff member
I keep reading this as Prime Minister Spam... then I picture a Mayor McCheese-esque type of politician.

Dave

Staff member
Those of you who should have gotten it but didn't should not be alarmed. I went in and deleted them all (mass delete of all PMs she sent). Calleja opened it before they got deleted and the rest of you just didn't see it because it was gone.

Those of you who should have gotten it but didn't should not be alarmed. I went in and deleted them all (mass delete of all PMs she sent). Calleja opened it before they got deleted and the rest of you just didn't see it because it was gone.
wha? Dude, I didn't open any PM, this got sent to my e-mail. The PM was gone when I checked the next morning.

GasBandit

Staff member
wha? Dude, I didn't open any PM, this got sent to my e-mail. The PM was gone when I checked the next morning.[/QUOTE]

You probably have your settings set to e-mail you to notify you of new PMs, which includes the content of the PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.