[Question] Portable (for actual travel) Gaming Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I've mentioned it obliquely in a couple other threads, but I work in market research for the game industry. This means that I tend to travel a lot (cross-country 1-2 times a month, sometimes more or internationally in crazy months) to talk with gamers and developers. And I also tend to be playing at least one or two closed betas at any given moment.

I've been at my current job long enough that in a couple months I can have my assigned work laptop replaced. It's an Alienware m14x, and while I like it, it's really uncomfortably heavy when you're going back and forth between offices, airports, and hotels all the time.

I would have liked an Alienware m11x, but it got discontinued. This is also an issue, because (like most businesses) my company gets a lot more frowny-faced about equipment that doesn't come from pre-approved vendors with excellent corporate services (Dell and Apple, in this case).

So my options (in no particular order) seem to be:
1) Get a new m14x - Not a bad option, but the whole "uncomfortably heavy" problem remains (though not quite as much; the newest version is actually a little over 1 lb lighter than mine)

2) Get a 15-inch Macbook Pro with a GT 650M, dual-booted with Windows - In an ideal world, this would probably work perfectly, but this is definitely into maybe-pricier-than-willing territory, especially as the other Macbooks we have are all Airs. I like Airs, a lot, but they're not gaming machines at all.

3) See if I can get either Newegg or CyberpowerPC on the approved vendor list (we've bought small things from them before), and get some variant of a Clevo W110ER - This is an intriguing possibility, but I don't know enough about the Clevo variants to gauge whether they're a good buy or not.

4) Get a Razerblade 2 - On paper, this seems a great solution. Light as a MBP, great design, runs Windows, has power, but in practice not only have I heard that the build quality is inconsistent, Razer becoming an approved vendor seems pretty much impossible.

5) ???

Thoughts?

I've said this before on the forum, but it is especially true for laptop users. Wait for Summer. Keep your current machine a few months longer, then replace it after Haswell is released. Unless you are ok with missing out on such things as 9hr battery life, for instance.

--Patrick
Noted. Any thoughts on any of the laptop models? Haswell seems unlikely to drop anything by 2 or more lbs, so I'm guessing my options in the summer will be similar, just with better battery life and iterative performance.

It really depends on the manufacturer. Advances in hard drive technology over the last few years meant that we could have had hard drives that either hold 5 times more or that are 5 times more reliable, and the industry always seems to go with capacity over reliability. As far as CPUs go, the potential is there to either have laptops which are exactly the same size but perform 30-50% faster, or laptops which perform at exactly the same speed but which are 1/3 smaller/lighter and/or have almost twice the battery life. It's all going to be up to the manufacturer's decision as to which market they want to target.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.