Export thread

Post your headcanons here

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This is a little something that's been bouncing in my head for a while...

Start with Harley Quinn from Gotham City Sirens just wandering through the streets minding her own business. She finds a little girl crying outside a run-down gymnasium. Harley asks what wrong. The little girl says she just can't get the moves coach wants her to do. Harley, ex-champion gymnast, calms the girl down and slowly but surely helps the girl figure out how to do the moves.

Harley and the little girl go back inside the gym to find a frazzled, overextended coach. It's a one person operation, and there's too much to do, and not enough help or money to do it. Harley offers to help out a little bit, and quickly discovers she has a knack for coaching the girls.

Fast forward a few weeks later, and the coach has bad news. The landlord wants them out so he can convert the building to condos. Harley decides to go persuade him otherwise... like Mister J would. But just before she's about to spring her trap on the landlord, Batman heads her off with a message. Go to the warehouse district.

There she finds Bruce Wayne waiting for her. He tells Harley Batman's been keeping an eye on her, and watching her work with the girls. He heard about the landlord, and decided to help. He opens the door, and reveals a state of the art training facility, where the girls, in brand new gear, are waiting eagerly for Harley to arrive.

We fast forward again, and this is what I've been leading up to, we're at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The new Fab Five US gymnastics team are all in Harley's old costume, and Harley herself is the coach.

Someday I'd like to commission that from someone, but with six people in the picture, it's a good $200 at least.

But yeah, that's how I'd like to see the story go.

Covar

Covar

Covar

Covar

In seriousness,

The Borg are a direct result of the events of Star Trek: the Motion Picture.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Shepard died during the events on the catalyst, and all that god-child shit afterwards was just a hallucination as he faded into the abyss, Taxi Driver style.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Frozen spoiler.

At the end of Frozen, Hans apparently draws a sword, and tries to kill Elsa with it. However, in the shot immediately preceding that, when he's talking to Elsa, he clearly has no sword.

I believe Elsa conjured a sword for Hans, because she wants him to kill her.

fade

fade

In seriousness,

Hasn't that been implied heavily in the ST expanded universe stuff?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Anakin used the Force to make Padme love him. It was a theory my friend had before the third prequel and I think it's great to keep him an evil, reprehensible character.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Sonic and Shadow are brothers, and after experimenting with the affects of chaos radiation Sonic warped fifty years into the future while Shadow remained to be experimented on. Neither remembers because Shadow's numerous experiments on him, and the stress of using Chaos power at such a young age induced massive mental stress on Sonic's psyche.

Makes more sense than Shadow being a cyborg alien clone.

Covar

Covar

Hasn't that been implied heavily in the ST expanded universe stuff?
Never read any of it. I know Voyager ruins that theory though (among a lot of other things).

Terrik

Terrik

Holograms can have sex.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Holograms can have sex.

fade

fade

Hey when they met their gender swapped counterparts, they outright said they could have sex.[DOUBLEPOST=1407522196,1407522082][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it was funny how they had to keep dressing him in baggy clothing to cover the fact that he was ripped but playing a dork.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Event Horizon actually takes place in the Warhammer 40k universe, albeit closer to the year 2k.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Event Horizon actually takes place in the Warhammer 40k universe, albeit closer to the year 2k.
I prefer to think of Event Horizon as the good movie adaptation of DOOM, and ignore that thing with the Rock.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I prefer to think of Event Horizon as the good movie adaptation of DOOM, and ignore that thing with the Rock.
Doom also takes place in the WH40k universe, albeit closer to the year 2k.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Doom also takes place in the WH40k universe, albeit closer to the year 2k.
... I can accept this.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Never read any of it. I know Voyager ruins that theory though (among a lot of other things).
I believe the theory is that the race that Voyager met was actually the borg. It was assimilated and somehow broke away from the collective and as we've seen, borg who are separated from the collective do not adjust well. That's why Vger is now trying to find it's creator.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The events of The Road to El Dorado take place and unfold the way they do because of a revolution among the gods of El Dorado. They believe that Tzekel-Kan needs to be removed but, since they cannot intervene directly (and because they have already given TK so much power), they recruit a pair of ne'er-do-wells from across the world to unseat him. All the coincidences that occur happen because of their intervention, including the ability for everyone to understand each others' language. Once the job is done, this magic evaporates, leaving a suprised Tulio and Chel suddenly unable to understand each other (though giving them something to work through while they grow as a couple) but also ensuring that Tzekel-Kan can't try to convince Cortez of the validity of his story before he is disposed of.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Anakin used the Force to make Padme love him. It was a theory my friend had before the third prequel and I think it's great to keep him an evil, reprehensible character.
Thats kinda far fetched. What woman wouldn't get turned on by genocide and hating sand?

My Star Wars one is that the prophecy's balance meant number of Jedi = number of Sith. I only consider this headcanon because George has specifically said its not true. But if its not true, what does that "A prophecy if misread, terrible consequences, could have" line mean?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Thats kinda far fetched. What woman wouldn't get turned on by genocide and hating sand?

My Star Wars one is that the prophecy's balance meant number of Jedi = number of Sith. I only consider this headcanon because George has specifically said its not true. But if its not true, what does that "A prophecy if misread, terrible consequences, could have" line mean?
Well, I'm pretty sure the prophecy was referring to Luke, not Anakin. That's how I interpreted it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wonder Woman headcanon:
Themyscira’s Greek/Roman architecture is painted in gaudy colors, like the Parthenon originally was, and every time Diana has to visit Washington D.C. she rolls her eyes at the bland white buildings.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Psycho Pirate Headcanon:

After becoming the third Psycho Pirate and gaining his composure over his ultimate understanding of the DC universe, James Highwater decides to become a superhero and use the powers of the Medusa Mask for good. Instead of you know, making Roger Hayden come out of limbo to sell his sould for a lame power-up and completely forget the closure he gained at the end of "Deus ex Machina."

Null

Null

Forrest Gump headcanon:

Forrest wasn't actually mentally retarded. Remember, he was diagnosed in the 1950's, when developmental disorders were not well understood. Yet when we see him faced with learning new tasks, including fairly involved mechanical tasks (taking apart and reassembling his rifle in boot camp), he not only learns, but learns them well in short order. He also manages to pass through regular school at the same rate as Jenny, including graduating high school and football and even college (yes, being a football player probably helped a lot). However, he is extremely literal, socially awkward, and doesn't really grasp the bigger picture, instead focusing on what's in front of him. He also has obsessive behavior patterns - the running, mowing the grass, naming all the Bubba-Gump Shrimp Company boats "Jenny", reciting his mother's wisdom, etc.

Forrest Gump wasn't retarded. He was on the autism spectrum, probably under PDD-NOS (pervasive development disorder - not otherwise specified).

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

So, what is a headcanon? Just something you believe to be true about a fictional universe?

PatrThom

PatrThom

So, what is a headcanon? Just something you believe to be true about a fictional universe?
As I understand it, not so much "believe to be true," but "explore potential motivators without violating established canon."

--Patrick

Null

Null

Basically. "In my head, this is what happens / this is the cause of what happens, because that makes more sense to me." It's ignoring the established canon in favor of something you like better.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I prefer to think of it as "making an assertion of something that isn't covered/contradicted by canon material, based on principles that are consistent with canon." If enough people come to accept a headcanon idea, it becomes fanon.

Something can't be any flavor of canon if it's directly contradicted by canonical material.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Something can't be any flavor of canon if it's directly contradicted by canonical material.
...unless it is retroactively decanonized, like Star Wars' Expanded Universe. Then it's just Deprecanon*.

--Patrick
*I just made this word up on the spot.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

...unless it is retroactively decanonized, like Star Wars' Expanded Universe. Then it's just Deprecanon*.

--Patrick
I've decided to accept it as Oxford English Dictionary canon.

GasBandit

GasBandit

English headcanon.

Null

Null

I don't know, the first time I saw the term was in a comic by David Willis - It's Walky, maybe? Where the character was talking about something that happened in a movie or show he liked, and he said, "I'm excluding that from my personal headcanon".

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know, the first time I saw the term was in a comic by David Willis - It's Walky, maybe? Where the character was talking about something that happened in a movie or show he liked, and he said, "I'm excluding that from my personal headcanon".
YMMV I suppose. Fans gonna disagree about everything, even the terminology they use to disagree with their fandom.

Null

Null

YMMV I suppose. Fans gonna disagree about everything, even the terminology they use to disagree with their fandom.
That is 100% true.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

PatrThom

PatrThom

English headcanon.
Portmanteau, actually.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Shepard died during the events on the catalyst, and all that god-child shit afterwards was just a hallucination as she faded into the abyss, Taxi Driver style.
Edited to my headcanon.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Krypton didn't explode. Kal-El was sent to Earth along the same lines as giving small pox infected blankets to the Native Americans.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Going by the new definition of headcanon, the movie A.I. ended at the bottom of the ocean.

Null

Null

You know, actually, the headcanon of Anakin using the Force to manipulate Padme into loving him explains a lot. Why else would her expressions of love be so facile, so clingy, childish, and awkward? Because they were the result of mental influence by an immature obsessive kid who'd lost all the people who ever cared about him and never learned how to form healthy relationships. It had probably started off subconsciously on Anakin's part, but as his need grew more intense, his Will began to crush Padme's actual personality. And when he snapped and attacked her, there wasn't enough left of her psyche afterward to hold together - no wonder she collapsed like a puppet with the strings cut.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You know, actually, the headcanon of Anakin using the Force to manipulate Padme into loving him explains a lot. Why else would her expressions of love be so facile, so clingy, childish, and awkward? Because they were the result of mental influence by an immature obsessive kid who'd lost all the people who ever cared about him and never learned how to form healthy relationships. It had probably started off subconsciously on Anakin's part, but as his need grew more intense, his Will began to crush Padme's actual personality. And when he snapped and attacked her, there wasn't enough left of her psyche afterward to hold together - no wonder she collapsed like a puppet with the strings cut.
That... actually makes a lot of sense. We know that Anakin is capable of using the Force subconsciously or unconsciously, because he was using it to podrace before he'd even learned what the Force was. And we know that in the time between Episodes 1 and 2, Anakin was thinking about Padme obsessively. So as soon as she sees him in Episode 2, he does this unconscious Jedi mind trick, and Padme falls.

One problem I thought this theory had was that such a use of the Force would eventually be picked up by other Jedi, such as Obi-Wan or Yoda. But then I remembered that Sidious was using his Dark Side influence to hamper the Jedi's sensitivity towards the Force. That would explain why none of the other Jedi could feel Anakin's mind trick.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why else would her expressions of love be so facile, so clingy, childish, and awkward? Because they were the result of mental influence by an immature obsessive kid who'd lost all the people who ever cared about him and never learned how to form healthy relationships.
I think you're being a little harsh on George Lucas.

Null

Null

That... actually makes a lot of sense. We know that Anakin is capable of using the Force subconsciously or unconsciously, because he was using it to podrace before he'd even learned what the Force was. And we know that in the time between Episodes 1 and 2, Anakin was thinking about Padme obsessively. So as soon as she sees him in Episode 2, he does this unconscious Jedi mind trick, and Padme falls.

One problem I thought this theory had was that such a use of the Force would eventually be picked up by other Jedi, such as Obi-Wan or Yoda. But then I remembered that Sidious was using his Dark Side influence to hamper the Jedi's sensitivity towards the Force. That would explain why none of the other Jedi could feel Anakin's mind trick.
Force Use in and of itself might be detectable, but not necessarily what one is doing with it. And if Anakin wasn't projecting fear, anger, or hate - the roots of the Dark Side - there wouldn't be anything to immediately raise any flags, either.

@Li3n

@Li3n

In seriousness,

Except that V'ger was way more advanced the anything the Borg have...

fade

fade

I've posted my headcanons about Star Wars before but here goes again:

The Sith are not evil. They're just unconstrained. Palpatine is an evil, manipulative person, but the Sith as a whole aren't. Even Palpatine isn't wholly evil. He genuinely cares for Anakin, as shown when he kneels concernedly next to his injured body.

But the prophecy was about Luke. He brings balance to the Force not by beating Vader and Palpatine, but by reconciling the Jedi and Sith. Luke fights the good fight, but he also does not ignore his emotion. This is a goal that Luke's entire Jedi lineage has been working for for some time. Qui-Gon is rebellious and not unemotional. Obi-Wan is traditional, but allows himself to experience emotion. Strong emotions, even, as seen when he confronts the newly minted Vader. He tells Luke that his emotions do him credit, despite the Jedi traditions. In the end, it's Luke's love for his father that breaks Palpatine's hold over them both.

I know this goes against a good deal of the EU, but that's part of the reason I never liked a of it. It violates my headcanon.

Dei

Dei

I feel like that is (sort of) established in SW:TOR. I mean, in the sense that you could be Jedi/Sith, but it was your actions that chose light/dark side, not your philosophy. Such a fun game while leveling. :/

GasBandit

GasBandit

I feel like that is (sort of) established in SW:TOR. I mean, in the sense that you could be Jedi/Sith, but it was your actions that chose light/dark side, not your philosophy. Such a fun game while leveling. :/
That opens the sticky wicket of how much are video games canon? For instance, is there really such a thing as a TIE Defender?

Null

Null

That opens the sticky wicket of how much are video games canon? For instance, is there really such a thing as a TIE Defender?
It's been included in several novels, though that's probably because of Michael Stackpole - TIE Defenders definitely show up in the Rogue Squadron novels and I, Jedi. I generally liked the Rogue Squadron series, which was quite a feat because I thought the protagonist, Corran Horn, was a smug fucking prick - on numerous occasions he bluntly tells Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilles, and Han Solo what they're doing wrong, because he knows better than they do about whatever is at hand. Aaron Allston's Wraith Squadron novels are considerably better.

That being said, I generally consider anything written by Troy Denning to be non-canon. Invincible, in particular, is just a mean-spirited piece of fan-fiction. Rumor has it that LFL actually tried to have it massively revised by another author working on the Legacy of the Force series, but the other author refused to touch it. And then there's his weird fetish for amputations, mutilation, torture, and weird sex.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Under the old system, story elements were canon, game mechanics were not. Of course, with the new system that doesn't matter, since unless it's been made post-merger (with the exception of the Clone Wars TV series) or is specifically brought in at a later point, it's out.

EDIT: Huh, I guess that makes the old EU my headcanon now.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

You are all JCM alts, and JCM is Dave from another dimension.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Going by the new definition of headcanon, the movie A.I. ended at the bottom of the ocean.
I also felt that the epilogue did not contribute anything useful.
I still haven't read the story to find out how badly they mangled it.

--Patrick

fade

fade

The story is rather short and obvious. It's a case where the film is superior. Here it is online:

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/5.01/ffsupertoys_pr.html

That movie is depressing.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I have thought waaaay too much about various aspects of Futurama continuity...

bhamv3

bhamv3

The Sith are not evil. They're just unconstrained. Palpatine is an evil, manipulative person, but the Sith as a whole aren't. Even Palpatine isn't wholly evil. He genuinely cares for Anakin, as shown when he kneels concernedly next to his injured body.

But the prophecy was about Luke. He brings balance to the Force not by beating Vader and Palpatine, but by reconciling the Jedi and Sith. Luke fights the good fight, but he also does not ignore his emotion. This is a goal that Luke's entire Jedi lineage has been working for for some time. Qui-Gon is rebellious and not unemotional. Obi-Wan is traditional, but allows himself to experience emotion. Strong emotions, even, as seen when he confronts the newly minted Vader. He tells Luke that his emotions do him credit, despite the Jedi traditions. In the end, it's Luke's love for his father that breaks Palpatine's hold over them both.

I know this goes against a good deal of the EU, but that's part of the reason I never liked a of it. It violates my headcanon.
The way I see it, "bringing balance" to the Force refers to returning the Force to a tranquil, peaceful state. Sort of like a scale being in balance, or a completely still and placid lake. The Sith actively and aggressively grab the Force and bend it to their will, thus disturbing the balance. The Jedi, in contrast, allow the Force to flow through them naturally, retaining its peaceful and balanced nature.

Restoring balance to the Force involved destroying the Sith, because they were throwing the balance out of whack.

Mathias

Mathias

I also felt that the epilogue did not contribute anything useful.
I still haven't read the story to find out how badly they mangled it.

--Patrick

I think it did. It fulfilled David's purpose. He loved and was loved in return. What the hell happens to poor Teddy? The advanced Mecha also have developed a form of alternate dimensional timetravel. They send Teddy back in time to the early 21st century under the guise that he comes to live because of a little boy's wish. That's right. Teddy = Ted.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Does that make him a . . .
?

Mathias

Mathias

Why didn't the fellowship just use the Eagles to fly to Mordor?

They were going to! Gandalf secretly collaborated with the Eagles prior to the establishment of the Fellowship, when he was saved from Saruman's tower. In order for the plan to work and not fail per the Eagles being intercepted by Nazul or orc arrow, Gandalf could tell absolutely no one until the last moment. His plan was to head north after passing through Moria (originally pass of Caradharas - the northern most mountain) and meet up with the Eagles. The Fellowship at that point may have split up as to throw off any spies. The group with the ring would have flow into Mordor from the east side.

That plan went to absolute shit when Gandalf fell in Moria. He tried to convey his plan cryptically right before he fell. "Fly, you fools".

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think it did. It fulfilled David's purpose. He loved and was loved in return.
This is true, but the folks make it clear that this is something that will last for just the day. She doesn't know any better, she's essentially just a construct and doesn't know how much the world outside has changed. David wakes up the next day and he'll be right back to where he was. So for the remainder of Eternity, he'll be left unfulfilled. That there's a massive tragedy.

--Patrick

fade

fade

Ah so he runs windows.

Frank

Frank

This is how I've always felt about the movie.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That plan went to absolute shit when Gandalf fell in Mordor. He tried to convey his plan cryptically right before he fell. "Fly, you fools".
Moria?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bullet Bills and the cannon balls actually move at normal rates, it just looks slow from our perspectives because Mario has super fast reflexes.

Mathias

Mathias

No, I think his programming was completed. He obtained the love which he was designed to elicit.

He halted at that point.

Yes. "He went to that place dreams are born".

It was a nice metaphorical way to say he shut himself down.

Null

Null

Warhammer 40K headcanon:

The God-Emperor of Mankind got the idea for Space Marines from Captain America. Steve Rogers was the first Ultramarine.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Earth has been infested multiple times with parasites. Trilobites, dinosaurs, etc. Each one has been successfully eradicated. But now the Earth has "caught" humans, which have resisted all attempts to eradicate them so far, and it shows signs of spreading. The rest of the Universe decides to quarantine our solar system so that the infection will be unable to spread.

This is the explanation for the fact that all galaxies/etc. all appear to be moving away from us at an ever-accelerating rate.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

But all the galaxies are moving away from each other, too.

Conclusion: The universe is one antisocial place.

Mathias

Mathias

The Earth has been infested multiple times with parasites. Trilobites, dinosaurs, etc. Each one has been successfully eradicated. But now the Earth has "caught" humans, which have resisted all attempts to eradicate them so far, and it shows signs of spreading. The rest of the Universe decides to quarantine our solar system so that the infection will be unable to spread.

This is the explanation for the fact that all galaxies/etc. all appear to be moving away from us at an ever-accelerating rate.

--Patrick

Not all of them. There are quite a few that are gravitationally bound together. The Andromeda galaxy is actually going to crash into the Milky Way in a few billion years.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Andromeda galaxy is actually going to crash into the Milky Way in a few billion years.
Thus wiping out the human infestation?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I actually viewed everything after the bottom of the ocean to be the robot kid (I can't even be bothered to remember his name) dying. The whole movie kind of deals with the idea that these artificial being may actually have souls. This was his afterlife.[DOUBLEPOST=1412602230,1412602042][/DOUBLEPOST]

I think I posted that earlier. I don't even think it's head canon, I think that the fact that the prophecy was misinterpreted was very intentional and that it was always supposed to be Luke who was the one who brought balance to the force.

Also, the EU stuff with the Sith also gets messy because in some versions, Sith is a race, not a title.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Null

Null

I actually viewed everything after the bottom of the ocean to be the robot kid (I can't even be bothered to remember his name) dying. The whole movie kind of deals with the idea that these artificial being may actually have souls. This was his afterlife.[DOUBLEPOST=1412602230,1412602042][/DOUBLEPOST]

I think I posted that earlier. I don't even think it's head canon, I think that the fact that the prophecy was misinterpreted was very intentional and that it was always supposed to be Luke who was the one who brought balance to the force.

Also, the EU stuff with the Sith also gets messy because in some versions, Sith is a race, not a title.
Yeah, that gets weird. Basically, the Sith were a race of near-humans during the pre-Republic and Old Republic. They were quite adept in harnessing the power of the Dark Side of the Force, and attempted to conquer the galaxy. The Jedi harnessed the power of the Living Force, as they called it, to combat the Dark Side, and defeat the Sith. However, organized Dark Side force users often attempt to follow the teaching and techniques of the Sith, and use their name as part of the legacy. So "Sith" went from a race of conquering Dark Side users, to those who followed their teachings and ambitions - ie "The Way of the Sith".

Also messy in terms of race/culture confusion: Mandalorians. The original Mandalorians were aliens called the Taung who invaded from outside the Galaxy. They fought for control of Coruscant and were driven back. Eventually they settled on Mandalore, unlocking the secrets of beskar, Mandalorian Iron. They taught their human and humanoid subjects their language and culture as they began to die out, and eventually the subject races became the "Mandalorians". While the vast majority are human, there are others - Mandallian Giants, Togorians, occasionally other races. It's more of a culture than a race. And then there's the factions...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Midichlorians are mitochondriae... that was the first thing that I thought when Qui-Gon was explaining them, and that's what's stuck in my head.

I'm not saying it makes SENSE, but that's what's there...

GasBandit

GasBandit

3) Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

evilmike

evilmike

--Patrick

(via Perry Bible Fellowship)

Null

Null

Midichlorians are mitochondriae... that was the first thing that I thought when Qui-Gon was explaining them, and that's what's stuck in my head.

I'm not saying it makes SENSE, but that's what's there...
So basically, Aya Brea was a Jedi.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Thus wiping out the human infestation?
Apply one galaxy per eon to the affected area. Do not exceed the recommended dosage. Side effects may include supernovae, globular clusters, and oily discharge.

--Patrick

Necronic

Necronic

In my headcannon all life on earth was wiped out about 10 years ago and we currently exist as a psychic gestalt created by the simultaneous death of so many people unwilling to accept their own deaths. Slowly people are starting to realize this and as that happens reality we begin to unravel and we'll all go crazy.

Covar

Covar

Breaking Bad is the sequel to Malcom in the Middle.

Doesn't hold together at all, but idea is hilarious to me.