Predator Drones Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insurgents Hack U.S. Drones

Well, not really hacked since the link from the drone to the ground isn't encrypted at all.

Militants in Iraq have used $26 off-the-shelf software to intercept live video feeds from U.S. Predator drones, potentially providing them with information they need to evade or monitor U.S. military operations.
They haven't taken control of them or anything, but they can watch the video they transmit. Why not encrypt it? Because the insurgents are too stupid to figure it out. And it would have cost more.
The U.S. government has known about the flaw since the U.S. campaign in Bosnia in the 1990s, current and former officials said. But the Pentagon assumed local adversaries wouldn't know how to exploit it, the officials said.

Fixing the security gap would have caused delays, according to current and former military officials. It would have added to the Predator's price. Some officials worried that adding encryption would make it harder to quickly share time-sensitive data within the U.S. military, and with allies.
Nice work. :facepalm:

I

Iaculus

Whoops.

Least they found the problem before the folks on the ground could try something really creative. Some of those little gizmos are astonishingly heavily-armed.

C

Chibibar

soooo.. encryption would prevent sharing of information?? huh? what??

What kind of IT folks are working at the pentagon?

C

Chibibar

That the video feed was hacked, that is bad. But it was hacked a decade earlier and it was not fixed then? That is inexcusable.
only cause American thinks that the "3rd world people" are too stupid to figure it out.

You would think the government would learn that we 3rd world country is not all stupid (like China use to be 3rd world)

Did they not think that we might have to use these in a more technically advanced country? It boggles my mind to think they've had over 10 years to figure something out and they still did nothing until now. Even the next generation of drones don't have encryption on them.

C

Chibibar

Did they not think that we might have to use these in a more technically advanced country? It boggles my mind to think they've had over 10 years to figure something out and they still did nothing until now. Even the next generation of drones don't have encryption on them.
Of course not ;) why would the U.S. pick a fight with a technologically advance country?

Iraq insurgents 'hack into video feeds from US drones'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8419147.stm

Insurgents in Iraq have hacked into live video feeds from unmanned American drone aircraft, US media reports say.
Shia fighters are said to have used off-the-shelf software programs such as SkyGrabber to capture the footage.
The hacking was possible because the remotely flown planes have an unprotected communications link.
Obtaining such video feeds could provide insurgents with information about sites the military might be planning to target.
ANALYSIS
Mark Ward, technology correspondent, BBC News
As its name implies, SkyGrabber is a program that grabs data being broadcast by satellites - it acts as a radio for data feeds and lets people tune into different data streams as they might radio stations.
Anyone downloading via a wire only shares that net link with a few neighbours. By contrast, anyone using a satellite net connection effectively shares all the data they are getting with everyone in the area covered by a satellite.
Those other people do not see that data because their PC is only watching for what they want. However, SkyGrabber eavesdrops on all the data being downloaded over a link and turns it back into whole files.
The way that data is sent over the net makes it very easy for anyone to reconstruct files. SkyGrabber has proved popular because it has good filters that let people sort the types of files, mp3, wmv, jpg they want to get.
It also knows about many different satellites and can be re-tuned to look at other data streams - such as those coming from drones.
The downside is that SkyGrabber users only get what other people want.

The Associated Press news agency quotes a US Department of Defense official as saying the military has also found evidence of at least one instance where insurgents in Afghanistan monitored drone video.
The breach of the Pentagon surveillance system's security in Iraq is said to have come to light when footage shot by a Predator drone was found on the laptop of an apprehended insurgent.
A senior Pentagon official is quoted by the Wall Street Journal as saying that although militants were able to view the video, there was no evidence that they were able to jam electronic signals from the aircraft or take control of them.
The unnamed official said the US defence department had addressed the issue by working to encrypt all video feeds provided by drones in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Predator drones can fly for several hours, remotely controlled by pilots thousands of miles away. The aircraft can carry out surveillance and attack targets with on-board missiles.
Responding to the reports, a Pentagon spokesman said: \"The Department of Defense constantly evaluates and seeks to improve the performance and security of our various systems and platforms.
\"As we identify shortfalls, we correct them as part of a continuous process of seeking to improve capabilities and security. As a matter of policy, we don't comment on specific vulnerabilities or intelligence issues.\"

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Unencrypted video feed?! Don't this people know anything?!

I would be more shocked if it wasn't for the silly amount of 'secured data' leaks over here in the past year. Still, you'd expect the military to at least use some form of encryption.

I would be more shocked if it wasn't for the silly amount of 'secured data' leaks over here in the past year. Still, you'd expect the military to at least use some form of encryption.
Can't speak for the other branches, but the Army tends to go highly overboard with their security when they do have it. To the point where it's cumbersome for me to check when I get paid, or read my military e-mail without having a specialized card reader or have my password expire every 7 days. The problem is that there are not a lot of Computer and IT people in the Armed Services, most of the technology is produced by contractors based on the requirement given to them by the senior officers or members of the DoD. I really wish I could be more surprised that something like this slipped through, I really do.

But guys, think.

It would've been more expensive. AND caused delays. Isn't it better to have something out there that defeats its purpose NOW rather than get something that works properly but wait for it?

C

Chibibar

But guys, think.

It would've been more expensive. AND caused delays. Isn't it better to have something out there that defeats its purpose NOW rather than get something that works properly but wait for it?
there you go using that logic again, for SHAME!

Status
Not open for further replies.