Pregnant?! Not in the army you don't bub!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Just to throw in a lefty voice....surprise, I agree with the general. I think a lot of people are going to associate "extremely bad" with "court martial" thanks to pop culture.

C

Chibibar

epsy: I did read that, but I'm also a realist. I have friends who have kids from having sex WITH condom and pills and still gotten pregnant. It is not 100% (as proven in other post nothing is 100%) so sure, the female enlist can be as careful as she want with her husband/boyfriend/lover but there is that small chance she can get pregnant and get court martial and possible reduce in rank, pay, position, or even out of the military.

That is why I post above what I posted. Basically (but not directly) is not to have sex so you reduce the chance of pregnancy (of course there are those sperm whiskers)
Sorry Chibi, I don't think you are being a realist, I think you are posing an interesting but statistically very unlikely event. Is it possible? Sure. Is it probable? No.
And you and others on here won't like this since many here seem to think it's a downright crime to have to avoid sexual urges in order to honor your commitments, but even if that was the case? Learn to deal with it or get the hell out of or avoid making incredibly important commitments that supersede your horniness. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

well.. I don't think it is a crime really, but I'm saying it is a bit harsh.

It is an important commitment, but it is also a long one (4-8 years and some longer depending on the situation) now if you can avoid it for 8 years then kudos, but human are emotional creatures and sometimes that taken over logic (well like a wife make love to their husband before going off to war and not seeing them for another year or two)

I'm just saying that even the most careful CAN get pregnant, and yes, it is a trial (not a sentence) but I feel that it should have been a case by case. Putting down military law like this just sparks some of these things.

(off the wall) I guess maybe all military personal should get fixed before service to ensure this would never happen during active duty.

epsy: I did read that, but I'm also a realist. I have friends who have kids from having sex WITH condom and pills and still gotten pregnant. It is not 100% (as proven in other post nothing is 100%) so sure, the female enlist can be as careful as she want with her husband/boyfriend/lover but there is that small chance she can get pregnant and get court martial and possible reduce in rank, pay, position, or even out of the military.

That is why I post above what I posted. Basically (but not directly) is not to have sex so you reduce the chance of pregnancy (of course there are those sperm whiskers)
Sorry Chibi, I don't think you are being a realist, I think you are posing an interesting but statistically very unlikely event. Is it possible? Sure. Is it probable? No.[/QUOTE]

Somehow i think accidental pregnancies are more common then getting pregnant to avoid deployment.

I'm guessing he's just trying to scare them into using protection or something...

But how is anyone gonna prove if it was accidental or not?! You can't so you punish everyone.

(off the wall) I guess maybe all military personal should get fixed before service to ensure this would never happen during active duty.
That's not 100% either unless we're talking extirpation (doctor can screw it up).

If the military is having an ongoing problem with people getting pregnant to get an early ticket home, I can see why the General made the decision he did. Whether there are mitigating circumstances or not, the fact of the matter is that soldiers need to be fit and able for duty during their term of service.

Question for the military folks: in practice, are court martials more like court hearings or an actual trial? Or are there degrees?

C

Chibibar

now if you can avoid it for 8 years then kudos,
I really think you don't understand whats going on here and you are focusing on something that isn't the actual issue so I don't think we are having the same discussion.[/QUOTE]

maybe.. I'm not sure that we are.

this is where I'm coming from.

I have friends who are in the military (most of them are home now but a few of friend's friends are oversea) they always tell me on women they meet etc etc. Now I hear stories of R&R and stuff now of course the women side I am not as familiar.

I can understand where the General is coming from is servicewomen are using pregnancy as a ticket way home, but there are also legit/accidental pregnancy from their husbands when their wives are on leave for the holiday or something. I feel that to punish all sends the wrong kind of message. That is where I'm getting at.

So, how to avoid getting pregnant from service women who ARE NOT using pregnancy as a ticket home? well, one way is not to have any sex with their husbands on leave (or boyfriend) ok... but our brothers and sisters are on tour 4-6months at a time some longer and hardly see their family. That is a long time to hold out even on higher commitment.

I don't think that is realistic. People need release somewhere.

But dude, it's only the entire reason you exist... what can be easier then not listening to your genes?

C

Chibibar

But dude, it's only the entire reason you exist... what can be easier then not listening to your genes?
heh, I know that there are tons of people who can live without it for years, either, they don't want it anymore, or can't get any.

W

WolfOfOdin

A court martial works kinda like an actual trial. It's an adverserial system (Prosecutor V Defense), wherein the JAG Corps prosecutor will present and argue evidence against the appointed defense attorney (usually a military lawyer as well, or at least a lawyer very familiar with the ins and outs of military law). The presiding officials may then either establish what punishments are to be imposed (dishonorable discharge being the usual worst punishment if you've -really- screwed up), defferment to a civil institution if it's found that the military has no true jurisdiction over the accused or if a municipality or state government has greater jurisdiction against the accused, or the charges may be dismissed outright due to the prosecutor failing to meet the burden of proof, ect.

A court martial has about the same weight as an impeachment in tone though. It's bad that it came to this, but the outcome can and more often than not will be wildly different than what the media usually likes to portray.

I can understand where the General is coming from is servicewomen are using pregnancy as a ticket way home, but there are also legit/accidental pregnancy from their husbands when their wives are on leave for the holiday or something. I feel that to punish all sends the wrong kind of message. That is where I'm getting at.
It sends the message that you have made a Commitment that supersedes your personal horniness. Thats it.
Or try this: Service to Country>your unprotected sex life
I don't think I can repeat this again: No one is saying that anyone is going to stop others from having sex. They are simply saying that people need to understand their actions will have consequences, proceed at your own risk and protect yourself best you can. I get in my car and I know, even if I use my safety belt and drive very safely I might still get hit. I still drive. I don't just stay at home. I accept the risk.

heh, I know that there are tons of people who can live without it for years, either, they don't want it anymore, or can't get any.
First one i don't believe, and the second one is another thing entirely.

Sure, there are people who are able to will themselves not to, but like people that kill themselves or do other stuff contrary to their instincts (the word is kinda too weak for what i mean) they're the exception.

@WolfOfOdin

You mean they don't still hang you for treason and the like?!

Sure, there are people who are able to will themselves not to, but like people that kill themselves or do other stuff contrary to their instincts (the word is kinda too weak for what i mean) they're the exception.
One thing that distinguishes humans from many animals is the ability to consciously choose to suppress, ignore, or otherwise take a path that diverges from their instinctual or genetically programmed behavior.

I think it's pretty sad that it's generally accepted in our society that people are unable to suppress their instincts.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I think a lot of people are going to associate "extremely bad" with "court martial" thanks to pop culture.
Why are so many people here assuming that's what other people here are assuming?

Probably comes from some animal instinct, I'd assume.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Your, not you're.

That's the grammar nazi instinct, found primarily in bees . . .

spelling bees.

D

Dusty668

Being in the military requires all kinds of instincts to be suppressed, ignored, or down right eliminated.

Shooting, explosions, fire, panic fear-soldiers have to function in it calmly and with purpose performing complicated coordinated tasks absolutely correctly.

Fears of heights, privation, enclosed spaces, exposure to being shot-and knowing the consequences of these actions intimately and performing their tasks and going back into it again and again as required for their mission.

Sounds of combat, animals run from it-of course, combat is noisy, scary and painful. The sound alone from a mortar/bomb/grenade blowing up can cause painful ear damage if you are close enough. Compared to this, stopping at third base should be easy.

C

Chibibar

Being in the military requires all kinds of instincts to be suppressed, ignored, or down right eliminated.

Shooting, explosions, fire, panic fear-soldiers have to function in it calmly and with purpose performing complicated coordinated tasks absolutely correctly.

Fears of heights, privation, enclosed spaces, exposure to being shot-and knowing the consequences of these actions intimately and performing their tasks and going back into it again and again as required for their mission.

Sounds of combat, animals run from it-of course, combat is noisy, scary and painful. The sound alone from a mortar/bomb/grenade blowing up can cause painful ear damage if you are close enough. Compared to this, stopping at third base should be easy.
True, but you are with your comrade in the same danger, which other instinct kicks in. Protect your buddy/friend/pal etc etc.

but remember MOST people usually have 1 on 1 intercourse so you don't have your buddies with you and you are with a gorgeous willing woman/man that you haven't encounter/seen for well.... quite some times. It is hard to suppress those urges (not impossible)

S

Soliloquy

Sure, keep telling yourself we're oh so different from animals.
He said while sitting at his mass-manufactured desk inside his gas-heated home, pressing buttons on a device of extraordinary complexity that was conceived of, in its entirety, by the human mind. Slowly, he sips some coffee that was transported to his city from across the world via a giant mechanical flying machine, the drink's heat held in by an artificial polystyrene foam that will last for 500 years after he tosses it casually in the garbage.

"Yes, we're not very different from animals," he said. "Not very different at all."

W

WolfOfOdin

Well, if you do commit treason and it's proven, you get to meet your maker on an all expenses paid trip courtesy of the US government. However you have to screw up ROYALLY as a soldier for that to happen...like selling passcodes or troop movements to enemies, revealing strategically or logistically vital sites/info or murdering your brothers-in-arms for the enemy.

K

Kitty Sinatra

You're gonna have to point out the comments you're referring to. In among all the lame jokes, I only see people talking about possible jail time at worst.

Sure, keep telling yourself we're oh so different from animals.
He said while sitting at his mass-manufactured desk inside his gas-heated home, pressing buttons on a device of extraordinary complexity that was conceived of, in its entirety, by the human mind. Slowly, he sips some coffee that was transported to his city from across the world via a giant mechanical flying machine, the drink's heat held in by an artificial polystyrene foam that will last for 500 years after he tosses it casually in the garbage.

"Yes, we're not very different from animals," he said. "Not very different at all."[/QUOTE]

Ha... i don't drink coffee.

But sure, keep telling yourself that tool use and nest building = overcoming your genetic programming (i did say instincts was too weak a word).

D

Dusty668

Then if they start getting some kick them... heeeeey wait a minute! You just argued your self in a circle. Think one of your wheels are sticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.