Pretty Little Liars is a good show and I'm not embarrassed to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a long time this was on my "guilty pleasure" list. At first glance the show looked like a girly soap opera marketed to the Twilight crowd, and I kept it classified under that stereotype for a while. But the fact is it's genuinely good show. Good acting, interesting plot, with a great Xanatos-style villain. There's some angsty high school drama, but none of the ridiculousness of Glee. And I know plenty of us are still watching Glee (even if we don't really know why anymore).

I could describe the plot, but it's twisty and turny and telling you the details won't really convey why it's good. (The same plot could have been awful if done wrong). The best description I can give is that this is a "Slytherin Show." (The good kind of Slytherin, as depicted in Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality). Each character is an ambitious and cunning, weaving webs of lies around each other. There's a closely knit group of five girls, each with their own secrets. Initially their plots are small minded, high school affairs. Then there's a murder, and the girls are confronted by a mysterious villain who knows all their secrets and forces them to play their games at a much higher, dangerous level.

Almost all the characters are morally grey. I like that the show doesn't really force a particular moral down your throat - each character has their own motivations and they make decisions based on that. You might respect their motivations, you might not, and you're free to judge them (or not) however you like. Each of them has a reason for being the way they are, but that reason isn't treated as an excuse.

Has anyone else been watching this in secret?

Yeah, I've actually been watching it. It is an interesting plot, but I wouldn't call the acting good. Its really campy and corny, but for what it is, its a good show.

I think the acting gets corny when it's trying to show us "Mean girls" (mostly the Allison flashbacks and whenever Mona shows up) but the rest of the time I thought it was pretty good.

I actually spent a while thinking about relative "corniness." TV shows in general have this problem, in various levels. A few shows I watch, ranked by decreasing levels of corniness:

Glee
No Ordinary Family
Most Sitcoms (Offset by the fact that they aren't taking themselves seriously at all)
Chuck/Pretty Little Liars (Approximately tied, with Chuck being more consistently kinda corny and PLL veering from not-too-corny to pretty-damn-corny about once an episode)
True Blood
Castle (but I don't actually like the show that much)
House (not really corny at all but the cynicism is getting to be almost as bad)
Dexter

Status
Not open for further replies.