Purging one's self

I've heard people "purging themselves" with a variety of solutions (no pun intended)...

Have any of you done this? I remember being a kid/teen and my mom making some type of something something that made me shit like wookie at first then have constant mud butt all weekend.

It was hard going for a day or so but afterwards I'd feel pretty awesome. (more energy)

I'm back on diet and want to do this.

Any suggestions?

Firstly, I would like to say that I'm against this sort of thing. It can be dehydrating and stressful on your body, and there isn't a whole lot of medical evidence suggesting that it is useful for much other than short-term dramatic weight loss (assuming you're talking about things like "the Hollywood Diet" drink).

That said, anything containing sufficient fiber will blow through your system in a big hurry, though you will likely have to deal with gas and other abdominal discomfort as the organisms in your gut react to the sudden influx of food and get all party-happy. There are debates as to which fiber is the best, but my personal favorite for topping up your intestinal flora is something called inulin, assuming you don't just want to drastically increase your intake of baked beans. Combine a moderate amount of inulin with sufficient chocolate and your nether regions should wake up and sing their marching song.

--Patrick

I think this is generally referred to as a 'cleanse,' whereas purge makes me think of someone shoving their finger down their throat to vomit.

Or a day out of the year where crime is legal, for some weird and never fully explained reason.

When you think "cleanse," try to think of it like Noah's ark. Do you really want it to rain for 40 days and 40 nights?

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
Frankly the whole "cleanse" thing sounds like junk medicine to me. Is there any evidence this kind of stuff works? The whole "toxins" thing just sounds like garbage to me.

It "works" in the sense that PatrThom listed above, as in you will notice an immediate change because you've having your body do something it's not supposed to be doing. By that definition, the stomach flu I had two weeks ago "worked" wonders: I lost over 4 lbs in two days! Also, you're body isn't processing the solids it usually needs to, so probably where the lighter/less bulky feeling comes in. Every thing I've ever read about them says they aren't good for long-term health. You're probably better off reevaluating your diet, making sure you take in a good amount of fiber daily and drink more water.

get plenty of insoluble fiber, don't clense, become a regulated poop machine. ever since i picked up regular fruit and veggies I have had no issues with much of anything and had more energy than I ever had before, the only downside has been the movements have been massive and like something out of a south park episode.