Questions regarding the new kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new version of the kindle is being released and this one is actually possible to order from New Zealand :D

I was hoping to get the opinions of people who have actually used it since until this point it has been completely unavailable here.

It looks pretty nifty but when I tried the local equivalent, the 'kobo' I found that changing pages was kinda slow and the entire screen had to flash black in doing so. Is this a problem with ebook tech or does the kindle handle the transitions better than other ereaders?

The kindle video demos look like the screen flashes each time it changes pages also. It might be a limitation of current e-ink technology, since they don't exactly use the same tech as LCD screens.

C

callistarya

A new version of the kindle is being released and this one is actually possible to order from New Zealand :D

I was hoping to get the opinions of people who have actually used it since until this point it has been completely unavailable here.

It looks pretty nifty but when I tried the local equivalent, the 'kobo' I found that changing pages was kinda slow and the entire screen had to flash black in doing so. Is this a problem with ebook tech or does the kindle handle the transitions better than other ereaders?
Tin pre ordered one for my birthday! I can WAIT to play with it! Woooo!

figmentPez

Staff member
I got to spend a little time playing with my grandmother's e-reader the last time I was visiting her. A Barnes & Noble "Nook", one of the ones that has a small full color LCD in addition to the eInk. It blanked the screen when switching pages, but I didn't think it was a problem. Especially with how amazing the eInk looked.

I think ,ost eInk screens have to refresh the entire screen to change a page, but that's going to change eventually. There's a lot of research being done on screens for eReaders, with a lot of competing technologies. Everything from color versions of eInk that can handle video, to the Pixel Qi screen that's already available in netbooks and does full motion color with a backlight but can also change to a B&W reflective mode that reportedly looks almost as good as eInk in full sunlight, and does it with the refresh rate of an LCD.

In some readers I've seen, the flash duration can be adjusted but it is inversely proportional to the quality of what's showed on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.