Rainbow Bridge Explosion

The two occupants of a car that exploded Wednesday at the US-Canada Rainbow Bridge border crossing are dead, a law enforcement source told CNN.

The incident occurred shortly before noon when a car coming from the Canadian side of the border on the bridge connecting Canada to New York State went through the initial checkpoint passports and licenses are examined. The car was then was directed to another area for a secondary search, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

As the car was heading towards the secondary search area, an explosion occurred, the sources said. Authorities do not know what caused the explosion. (CNN)

Dave

Staff member
So much different information. Witnesses say the car was on the US side speeding towards Canada.

Fox is walking back their terrorism claims now, hours later.

It was apparently a car (from the US side) going 100 MPH into the booth, causing some real catastrophic damage.

So much different information. Witnesses say the car was on the US side speeding towards Canada.
First few hours after an event are always like this. I remember at 9/11, at some point the news was all like "There can be as many as 43 aircraft hijacked!"

Video of the airborne vehicle on this article

They're still saying "from Canada to US" (in the video, not the article text) except for that one witness that reports otherwise. With video, it ought to be pretty definitive which way they were going (insert eyeroll emoji)

Ah...CNN has an update as of 2 mins ago:
Videos reviewed by authorities show the vehicle entering the bridge on the US side and then accelerating at a high rate of speed, according to multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation. Earlier reports had indicated the car was traveling from Canada to the US.

Last edited:
First few hours after an event are always like this. I remember at 9/11, at some point the news was all like "There can be as many as 43 aircraft hijacked!"
Gah that bugged me for so long. I was in my first period class for the day when a teacher told us that a plane hit tower 1. Next period people were talking asking what was going on and this kid Blake, who was in the same first period class as me and heard the same thing, blerts out that the Russians shot missiles at us.

Kinda wonder where Blake was on Jan 6 now that I'm thinking about it.