Record companies are this stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dusty668

Well, that's my question. If you have an intranet connection to a central server (between, say, Florida and Chicago) do you get any congestion advantages over a regular internet connection?

[Edit: I'm assuming all these stores are buying lots of bandwidth so IN THEORY you would get blaziing download speed as long as there's no congestion. So the question is, if I've got my own propriatary servers in Chicago that no one else has access to, and am transmitting all this info over a nice wide trunk line, is it still possible for overall internet congestion to affect me?]
Short answer, the internet connection Comcast et al keep shouting about is residential services, or service that shares residential service lines. Companies doing serious traffic of data do not use these carriers. Ever.

Usually the Intranet connection for stores using a lot of traffic is simply a secure VPN connection over T1 or FIOS (depending on the stores local teleco) that is pretty much a full backbone connection. Unless a store has like 50 registers with lines of customers out the wazoo the actual download needs would be minimal when looked at as a commercial connection. A partial T1 would do fine in most cases I think. Working with sites like this they use 5 gig test files and pass them at about a gig a second, or get on the horn to the telco and find out whats wrong.

I have wondered about why this kind of thing could not be done since early 95, why should a recordable CD, book, or movie ever go "out of print". Technical answer, it never should. Real world answer, lawyers and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.