Export thread

RIP PVP on Image Forums.

Dave

Dave

https://www.halforums.com/threads/urgent-mary-jane-the-other-white-meat.25931/#post-849801

Posted by PhilosopherB in the Mary Jane thread....They finally got rid of the PvP forum at Image.

Biannoshufu

now this forum is all that is left of that greatness that once was.

Dave

Dave

Not to diss this place, but that place was WAY better. I'd give my left nut to be able to go back to those days with Joe Keating's iron fist and the drama and fights and whatnot. Of course, I didn't have to deal with it then...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Soooo..... drama is a DESIRABLE state of affairs?

Dave

Dave

It can be if handled right. There was a guy named Joe Keating who would come down from nowhere and start swinging the banhammer like the mythical Norse God he is. And nobody got butthurt over it.

Hey, a little drama is good for the soul. We need it every once in a while to show the fire is still there. And yes, you can have drama without insults or disparaging remarks of a personal nature.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Meh.... too apathetic to care about drama. *grins*

Biannoshufu

Not to diss this place, but that place was WAY better. I'd give my left nut to be able to go back to those days with Joe Keating's iron fist and the drama and fights and whatnot. Of course, I didn't have to deal with it then...
I imagine the not having to be the Judge bit makes it nicer, or maybe it's nostalgia.

Philosopher B.

I don't know that I'd call it 'better.' It had ... a different flavor. More rough-and-tumble. I got a huge kick out of reading the threads, but honestly, the greater bulk of my posting has been post-Image.

Still, RIP.

Cajungal

Cajungal

What did someone call this place once... a Rainbow and Unicorn Factory or something like that?

blotsfan

blotsfan

First forum I ever joined. Come to think of it, I think I was like 13 when I did. Scary...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Second or third, for me. I'll pull a daft draught in its honor.

--Patrick

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

First for me, and Halforums is still the only one I post in year-round and regularly.

Terrik

Terrik

Wow...old memories. Back then I was an uber-lurker.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Wow...old memories. Back then I was an uber-lurker.
Pffft... copy-cat.

Chibibar

Halforum is my home. I do post in others, but not as much as Halforums :)

General Specific

General Specific

KREWMEMBERS FOREVER!!

makare

I am pretty sure there were a few "screw you guys im going home" type posts after Joe did his modding. BUT at least there was modding.

Null

Null

This calls for the same type and amount of mourning you give a white castle slider.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Wasn't my first rodeo but I remember instigating so many flame wars with my no name status.

I was also a very different creature back then. Much angrier, emotional, lash out violence dominated beast. The years have toned down the anger but replaced it with a much more dangerous apathetic deviance.

None the less, that place is where I met some interesting people that I'm still in regular contact with and for that, it will be missed.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I joined immediately pre-image, but post-krew.

I remember that the very first thing I did was get in an argument with GB and Janissary about gun control laws.

Dave

Dave

That must have been fun!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It really was. It was more interesting and less (if you can believe it) ad-hominem-filled than any political site I had ever been to...and when people weren't arguing about that, they were talking about comics, movies, and videogames!

bhamv3

bhamv3

I joined and immediately managed to offend half the forum population with my first post, completely without meaning to.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I joined and immediately managed to offend half the forum population with my first post, completely without meaning to.
Like that was hard...
Added at: 18:08

now this forum is all that is left of that greatness that once was.
Hey, where did you steal my knife from... and my blood too...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Is this now the 3rd time that the PVP forums were deleted?

Espy

Espy

Man, those were fun times.

I believe that my first fight was with some weirdo named... Edrondillydil? Edrourdo? Edrondrollollollo? I can't remember. It was a good argument and I was hooked.

Dave

Dave

Man, those were fun times.

I believe that my first fight was with some weirdo named... Edrondillydil? Edrourdo? Edrondrollollollo? I can't remember. It was a good argument and I was hooked.
Do you even remember what you were wrong about?
Added at: 13:39
Is this now the 3rd time that the PVP forums were deleted?
Forumopolis, Image, followed by HalfPixel? Is that about right? Krew was around there somewhere, too. IIRC, that is.

Espy

Espy

Do you even remember what you were wrong about?
I'm pretty sure you were saying that you thought no one would ever get into these weird things called "cell phones" and that you were going to put money into a company that was making rotary phones.

Dave

Dave

I'm pretty sure you were saying that you thought no one would ever get into these weird things called "cell phones" and that you were going to put money into a company that was making rotary phones.
:rofl:

Whatever! Just admit that it was so long ago neither of us remember and we'll be okay.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hell, I can't even remember what kind of a dingus I was back in Image. I don't really keep track of my shenanigans.

Tress

Tress

The first time I joined I made some random comment on a random discussion. The first response I ever got was Chaz calling me a fag. Despite that I stuck around.

makare

The first post I ever made was about underage drinking and someone jumped down my throat about it. I didn't come back for a few months but eventually I did.

Espy

Espy

:rofl:

Whatever! Just admit that it was so long ago neither of us remember and we'll be okay.
My memory! She fails me! :D

Good times at that place, good times.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

My memory! She fails me! :D

Good times at that place, good times.
Getting as old as Dave or something?

Espy

Espy

Getting as old as Dave or something?
Oh, I'm something, thats for sure.

@Li3n

@Li3n

The first post I ever made was about underage drinking and someone jumped down my throat about it. I didn't come back for a few months but eventually I did.
Man, drinking was so much better when i was underaged...

The forum too...

Krisken

Krisken

I remember... forums. Probably didn't argue much in the beginning since I was still getting my bearings.

Covar

Covar

I was there, I don't remember. I recall getting in a fight with JCM over the origins of Transformers.

Ooh, Dave I figured it out. Just start wiping this place every month.

Tress

Tress

I was there, I don't remember. I recall getting in a fight with JCM over the origins of Transformers.
I remember that fight! Ahhh, good times.

Dave

Dave

Ooh, Dave I figured it out. Just start wiping this place every month.
The thought has crossed my mind. Like doing the General Board every so often. Just to shake things up.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

The thought has crossed my mind. Like doing the General Board every so often. Just to shake things up.
I'm sure everyone would love the cosplay thread disappearing on a monthly basis.

Dave

Dave

I'm sure everyone would love the cosplay thread disappearing on a monthly basis.
That will eventually be in FigmentPez's Cosplay Corner. I hope.

Espy

Espy

You can't say it wouldn't keep everyone on their toes PLUS give everyone something fun to bitch about! :awesome:

Zappit

Zappit

We ever invite Keating over here?

Dave

Dave

We ever invite Keating over here?
He never really made the move to HalfPixel so his coming here was never a question. We had a couple of cool guys (Scott & Kris) but we burned them bridges like a motherfucker.

Tress

Tress

He never really made the move to HalfPixel so his coming here was never a question. We had a couple of cool guys (Scott & Kris) but we burned them bridges like a motherfucker.
I'm sorry, we burned those bridges??

Dave

Dave

I'm sorry, we burned those bridges??
Kinda, yeah. Look, I know everyone was mad about what happened, but don't you think it all worked out? We were the ones who wouldn't let it go. We were the ones who took the Kris thing to a new and immature level. We were the ones who went on different sites and said, "Blah. Blah. Blah. Scott sucks! -Halforums"

It's like this. We and our SO got into a fight. Sure we could have made up. Instead, we through all their shit on the lawn and screamed names at them until they left. Did Scott & Kris screw us over? Undoubtedly. But it wasn't for what they did but merely how they went about it. And yet here we are.

I'm not saying I don't understand everyone's feelings, but had we acted differently it could have been a beautiful friendship.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Huh. I never realized there had been so much drama in the breakup. All this time I figured they just drifted away.

--Patrick

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Instead, we through all their shit on the lawn and screamed names at them until they left.
threw

Krisken

Krisken

Kinda, yeah. Look, I know everyone was mad about what happened, but don't you think it all worked out? We were the ones who wouldn't let it go. We were the ones who took the Kris thing to a new and immature level. We were the ones who went on different sites and said, "Blah. Blah. Blah. Scott sucks! -Halforums"

It's like this. We and our SO got into a fight. Sure we could have made up. Instead, we through all their shit on the lawn and screamed names at them until they left. Did Scott & Kris screw us over? Undoubtedly. But it wasn't for what they did but merely how they went about it. And yet here we are.

I'm not saying I don't understand everyone's feelings, but had we acted differently it could have been a beautiful friendship.
Meh. On a side note, how is your subscription going?

Dave

Dave

Damn!

Meh. On a side note, how is your subscription going?
It was a waste. Doesn't mean I hate the guy, just that I ain't going to give him any money for anything else. He can have my ad revenue from going to the site but that's it.

fade

fade

Ah, Image. Also my first nontechnical forum (though I was more like 30 than 13). That was the first place I learned that anonymity breeds dicks. It's like a dick farm where little dick seeds are planted that grow into full grown dongs that sway gently in the wind.

makare

They were assholes and are still pretty much assholes. Although your recently revealed love of drama might explain why you think they are "cool guys"
The vast majority of us didn't say anything to them on this or any other site. We pretty much just let it go.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I think it's unfair to blame the entire forum for a very vocal minority.

Dave

Dave

I agree.

Tress

Tress

Yeah, I think it's unfair to blame the entire forum for a very vocal minority.
This. Also, your couple analogy is a little off. Yes, "we" (at least a few of us) tossed stuff on the lawn and made a scene. That was only after we came home and found our SO had changed the locks, tossed all of our stuff into a garbage bin, and then pretended we didn't exist. In that scenario, who burned bridges? Who soured the "relationship" first?

I've never harassed Scott and Kris, nor have I ever said a nasty thing to them, but I don't think it's fair to blame users here. I definitely won't accept the idea that Scott somehow took the high road.

Null

Null

My god, Dave, I realized it. You're Scott Kurtz's battered spouse.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

My god, Dave, I realized it. You're Scott Kurtz's battered spouse.
What's he battered in? It's Kurtz so it has to be something sweet

Philosopher B.

I'll never get the Kris hate.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Guilt by association, I suppose...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Kris was the hand that did the deeds. Kurtz as always just made a lot more noise.

Kris took it upon himself to run the old forums, and when it became too much, he just quit on his membership.

Espy

Espy

when it became too much, he just quit on his membership.
Which lets be honest, he was allowed to do. He wasn't getting paid to do it. The only REAL beef that is legit to have with them was HOW it was done. Not that it was done. I mean, we had moved past PVP as a reason to be together LONG before that happened so it was really only a matter of time before we got the hook.

Either way, image was fun and horrible and awesome. Some great memories there.

Calleja

Calleja

I remember JCM arguing with me about how my own last name was pronounced. He was CONVINCED and ADAMANT about how I was WRONG about my own name. Good times, good times.

Dave

Dave

I remember JCM arguing with me about how my own last name was pronounced. He was CONVINCED and ADAMANT about how I was WRONG about my own name. Good times, good times.
I still remember that. Good times, indeed!

Espy

Espy

lol. I remember that too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You still got a link to the .WAV?

--Patrick

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I always thought it was pronounced like "Kool & the Gang" but with no "ng" at the end.

Philosopher B.

Gah-Yee-Haw.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Kahlua

strawman

strawman

Kris spent time alerting his other forums that they would be shutting down and moving, but gave us no notice so we could find better housing. When we requested that Kris give us the archives and/or a member list he flatly refused.

If the only reason to shut us down was that we were costing them too much and they couldn't support us, they could have given us a week's notice (or 1 month like they did his other forums), and provided enough information about the active membership that we could move.

They did not merely want to kick us out. Their actions show that they wanted to make it hard for us to regroup anywhere else - they didn't want us to exist at all.

Kris and Scott aren't stupid. They aren't unintelligent. They didn't say, "We didn't know what we were doing" or "we didn't think this through" - nor did they apologize for the manner in which they did it. They are happy to tell you that if they had to do it all over again they would do it in exactly the same way. (They did write some words of apology, but for the most part they were, "I'm sorry you were butt-hurt by this")

It was an act of willful, malicious destruction, and while one can claim that maybe Scott doesn't understand communities, Kris does.

So yes, Kris wasn't just the hand that threw the switch - he was involved in the decision, understood that they were attempting to actively destroy a community rather than letting it go, could have warned us, could have provided information afterward that would have helped us regroup, and chose, instead, to do it in the most destructive way possible with the expres intention that we wouldn't be able to regroup.

It can readily be argued that we have not regrouped - this forum picked up many of the very active members, and has grown on its own, but I don't think anyone will ever claim that we are essentially the same forum as existed on halfpixel, nevermind image and pre-image. This isn't a bad thing, but we must recognize that their intention to destroy the community worked. We are not the community that existed there, simply in a different place.

He wasn't merely a bystander that happened to catch some of the flak that was aimed at Scott.

Covar

Covar

Turned out to be a hell of a Thanksgiving though. You know, in hindsight.

Dave

Dave

One thing I have said and will always say: If *I* can afford to keep this place going, they certainly could have. So I'll never believe the monetary angle. Hell, they could have said something and we would have stepped up to keep it going. I may not have ended up the flappy-hootied Despotic Ruler of All, but I'd have helped out as much as I could.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Other than the smaller pop/people flow I'd take these forums over any incarnation of pvp's. I also wouldn't take any other admin :)

Fun Size

Fun Size

Wait, did Shego just threaten to take Dave?

Dave

Dave

Wait, did Shego just threaten to take Dave?
:unibrow:

drifter

drifter

Lots'o text explaining how Kris acted like a douchebag.
That is all news to me. Good to know, if only for some context.

strawman

strawman

Perhaps, but it's not nice of me to open old wounds. I don't know why it affects me the way it does - I'm certain I could go out to dinner with Kris and Scott and have a great time without bringing it up - I understand they are fun people to be around. In all fairness, the bits, bytes, and servers were owned and run by them - they technically, ethically, and morally owe us nothing. Websites shut down every day with no warning.

Still, this is a thread about forum deaths, and so perhaps my rant fits in anyway.

RIP PVP, the zombie forum that keeps dying and rising from the grave to terrorize the same internet over and over and over.

(sure, a phoenix analogy would be prettier, but zombies are "in" right now, so that's what we get to go with, mmkay?)

Hylian

Hylian

While I agree the way they did it was wrong I still think that quite a few of our members have sacrificed what morale high ground we had by some of their words/actions to Scott/Kris. I think that the initial anger was at least somewhat justifiable but some people have taken it to the extreme (I would almost say the 4chan extreme) on occasion.

Krisken

Krisken

In the end, it happened. We're in a better place for it, I think.

Hylian

Hylian

I agree but it still would have been nice to be able to keep our old archives and to be able to get all of our members back. But alas there is no point in wishing to change the past (unless someone hear owns a certain Delorean or some other sort of time traveling machine)

Shannow

Shannow

It was time. The forum had better things to do...like...you know, walk the earth, meet people and shit.... get into adventures. Like Caine from Kung Fu.

Gusto

Gusto

I can't believe we're having another thread talking about it.

LittleSin

LittleSin

NEVER FORGET.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Krisken

Krisken

I can't believe we're having another thread talking about it.
Yes you can. The next time, however, it will surprise you.

Dave

Dave

At least this time there's a reason. With the advent of the Image board closing it's like that portion of our life finally ended.

I'd be willing to bet that our invasion of it last year is the reason they even noticed.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

It was time. The forum had better things to do...like...you know, walk the earth, meet people and shit.... get into adventures. Like Caine from Kung Fu.
Choking itself with a belt while masturbating...

jwhouk

jwhouk

I wasn't around for Image (I'm a latecomer).

This place is definitely not the same as it was as HalfPixel, that's for certain.

Math242

Math242

aaaah the monthly wipes

good times