Rocky Horror Picture Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. This upcoming week, I'll be watching Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time. Of course, I won't merely watch it on DVD. I'll be attending a midnight screening of the film at a local theater, watching the film as it should be seen.

Any tips for a first-time watching for a Rocky Horror virgin?

Just sit back and enjoy the experience. The first time I saw it I was less than impressed but the more you see it and the more crowd interaction you have the better it gets. A few people in the crowd will get on your nerves but overall you'll have a good time.

escushion said:
Don't let them know you're a virgin.
Oh, they'll know. Just like your first time in a strip club. They can smell it on you. Filmfanatic will be eaten alive (much like Meatloaf).

Oh, and enjoy Susan Sarandon in her beautiful youth.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Oh my first time I went with group of friends. I was totally decked out as Magenta, admitted I was a virgin, and had such a blast!! I think it's best to go with people who have already experienced the show since they know about the participation. It's easier for you to fake knowing what's going on that way so if you'd rather not say you're a virgin you won't exactly look it.

Don't dream it, be it!

Never been to a show myself but watched it twice on the big screen. The first time I watched it was when it aired for the first time on german tv back in 1984. I was 13 and of course not allowed to stay up that long or even watch this move.
So I sneaked out of my room and got the portable tv from the next room to mine. In short my first experience of RHP was: crouched under my bed covers wearing headphones about 20 cm front of a totally small black and white tv.

Cajungal

Staff member
Blech, I did NOT care for seeing it in a group. Doing the Time Warp along with the movie was the best part. Everything else was throwing stuff and listening to people shout out unfunny things. See, this is the kind of thing that makes people say I'm no fun.

M

Mr. Lawface

I have never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I have no idea what it is about or why it is apparently a big phenomenon. All I know is that some people sing about Time Warps at some point.

Cajungal said:
Blech, I did NOT care for seeing it in a group. Doing the Time Warp along with the movie was the best part. Everything else was throwing stuff and listening to people shout out unfunny things. See, this is the kind of thing that makes people say I'm no fun.
The most fun part of going to a live showing is the horrible things they do to virgins. Horribly hilarious, that is. And usually fun to do as well, I completely disagree that the OP should try to hide his virgin-ness. It's an experience that everyone should go through at some point. Or maybe I think that just because I won the stripping contest when I was a virgin (oh so many years ago now).

figmentPez

Staff member
Mr. Lawface said:
I have never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I have no idea what it is about or why it is apparently a big phenomenon. All I know is that some people sing about Time Warps at some point.
Same here. I saw a bunch of Star Trek clips set to the Time Warp song once, and laughed, but I really have no idea beyond that. (Despite having several friends who love Rocky Horror, and have gone to showings many times)

K

KenjiFinster

Video virgin here (Seems that nobody knows the movie in the country)
I wanna go to a live show, but I'm too far away from the US. Bummer.

Dieb said:
Cajungal said:
The most fun part of going to a live showing is the horrible things they do to virgins. Horribly hilarious, that is. And usually fun to do as well, I completely disagree that the OP should try to hide his virgin-ness. It's an experience that everyone should go through at some point. Or maybe I think that just because I won the stripping contest when I was a virgin (oh so many years ago now).
I've been doing my research on the Rocky Horror cult activities and virgin sacrifices and I must say that it definitely sounds fun. I think I won't hide my virgin-ness, because some of the virgin sacrifices just sound awesome.

Besides, I did a check with the theater where they're holding the midnight screening. While I don't know much about some of what they specifically do, I know they allow use of props during the show and they also have an underwear run. Sounds fun.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
It's a Hot Topic wet dream musical that promotes nearly every kind of sexual deviancy.
Oh Chucky...

I can think of LOTS of sexual deviances that weren't in that movie.

I've only seen it twice on the big screen. But I was one of the hosts...

It was the last time I ever punched another man in anger. He was one of the other people throwing the screening.

sixpackshaker said:
But it was every one that was known to popular culture of the 70's...
To "popular" culture, I'll say "sure". Hell to this day there is stuff in Rocky Horror that is still not known to "popular" culture.

Well folks, I've done it. I have now seen Rocky Horror Picture Show at a midnight screening. I loved it. It's like the craziest theatre experience that one can have.

If you haven't, I recommend catching a midnight screening of it at some point.

filmfanatic said:
Well folks, I've done it. I have now seen Rocky Horror Picture Show at a midnight screening. I loved it. It's like the craziest theatre experience that one can have.

^ :uhhuh:

filmfanatic said:

It's been a damn long time since I've gone, I need to find a theatre doing this again soon. :uhhuh: Glad to hear you had a good one, did you out yourself as a virgin?

Shegokigo said:
It's been a damn long time since I've gone, I need to find a theatre doing this again soon. :uhhuh: Glad to hear you had a good one, did you out yourself as a virgin?
Yes I did. Since there was a large amount of virgins there that night, they had us do one mass virgin ritual. We were crammed together into a very tight line, gave three swings of the hips and then one big pelvic thrust.

The underwear run we also did, about when they're revealing Rocky Horror in the film, was also pretty fun.

H

Hibou

The first time i saw it RHPS i was on the rugby field at my college with like a thousand other people. My girlfriend and I took 2 gigantic Sams/Costco sized packages of toilet paper to show. We had a blast.

One piece of advise to any one going to see RHPS: Take of any rings you usually wear. My gf threw my class ring along with a roll of toilet paper. I was still making payments on it at the time So I spent the entire rest of the night searching for it. I finally found it when i gave up all hope and stepped on it when I started back to my dorm.

Glad to hear you had a blast. Its not exactly citizen cane but the crowd participation makes up for this films shortcomings.

Hibou said:
The first time i saw it RHPS i was on the rugby field at my college with like a thousand other people. My girlfriend and I took 2 gigantic Sams/Costco sized packages of toilet paper to show. We had a blast.

One piece of advise to any one going to see RHPS: Take of any rings you usually wear. My gf threw my class ring along with a roll of toilet paper. I was still making payments on it at the time So I spent the entire rest of the night searching for it. I finally found it when i gave up all hope and stepped on it when I started back to my dorm.

Glad to hear you had a blast. Its not exactly citizen cane but the crowd participation makes up for this films shortcomings.
Well, that's just it. From what I could tell when I actually watched it, the film itself is awful. It's the atmosphere and antics of the people in attendance that is the real fun.

H

Hibou

Its not nearly as elaborate in terms of what people do to participate but when the show Monty Python's Holy Grail at the midnight shows around here there is a fair amount of crowd participation. Some people even showed up dressed as the three headed giant and in chain mail and such.

W

Wasabi Poptart

filmfanatic said:
From what I could tell when I actually watched it, the film itself is awful. It's the atmosphere and antics of the people in attendance that is the real fun.
It is a very campy, terrible film. I don't think I would have had as much fun if I hadn't gone with friends who were into the participation and being part of the show. Plus the cast of the floor show at the theater where we used to go were all really good, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.