[Brazelton] Roe v. Wade

They'll probably try it get it stripped from our state constitution by challenging it to the State Supreme Court... which is stacked with Republicans, including the son of a former Republican governor. But I think that would just inflame the anti-government moderate Republicans in our state even more, which is why they lost back in August. Weed's probably here to stay though... the only reason it hasn't passed in the past is because they kept trying to limit the growing ops to pre-selected people.

Ken Paxton threatens anyone who would assist in giving emergency medical care to a woman who has had that care authorized by a judge.

Huh. Trying to threaten people into not complying with a Judge's orders - would that count as Contempt of Court? According to my googling that's up to 6 months in jail. If the right wants to play hardball on this, everyone else needs to play hardball back.

Huh. Trying to threaten people into not complying with a Judge's orders - would that count as Contempt of Court? According to my googling that's up to 6 months in jail. If the right wants to play hardball on this, everyone else needs to play hardball back.
He’s been under investigation for nearly a decade for past crimes. What’s one more to the pile?

figmentPez

Staff member
The Supreme Court of Texas has ruled that Kate Cox does not qualify for an abortion, and she has fled Texas to be able to receive medical care.

figmentPez

Staff member

If someone with a non-viable fetus doesn't qualify, then who the fuck does? And how do we expect someone who is, somehow, even worse off to be able to wait for a high court to decide if they get life saving emergency medical care?

- daughter of a senator
- "babysitter" for a judge
- secretary of a rich industrialist
And some minor variations thereof.
None of them will "need" an exception. They're all in a position to fly/be flown to another state for it without having to worry about the cost of travel or managing to get time off work.

I have to assume she made a conscious decision to be a test case for the “getting an abortion in another state is illegal” part of the law. It doesn’t make any sense for her to go through this if going to another state was on the table for her otherwise. I hope it works well for her.

For people who profess not to believe in evolutionary theory, they sure are pushing to speed up the process as much as possible and at any cost.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
For people who profess not to believe in evolutionary theory, they sure are pushing to speed up the process as much as possible and at any cost.

--Patrick
I've always been a bit exasperated at how many people who get frothy about evolution being taught in school also chest-thumping that "survival of the fittest" is the only acceptable meterstick of what is right and good.

Serious question. Yes, really.
If, within some specific region, a "child" is defined legally as being a full human being with all the rights and privileges belonging thereto from the moment of conception (embryo, blastocyst, or even fertilized zygote), could ultrasound images/3D prints/X-rays/whatever of that developing child therefore be considered CSAM since under that law they are images of a naked minor?
Would posting your "It's a boy!" pregnancy announcement on Facebook therefore draw a mandatory minimum felony prison term of 15 years?

--Patrick

Serious question. Yes, really.
If, within some specific region, a "child" is defined legally as being a full human being with all the rights and privileges belonging thereto from the moment of conception (embryo, blastocyst, or even fertilized zygote), could ultrasound images/3D prints/X-rays/whatever of that developing child therefore be considered CSAM since under that law they are images of a naked minor?
Would posting your "It's a boy!" pregnancy announcement on Facebook therefore draw a mandatory minimum felony prison term of 15 years?

--Patrick
Just as posting a full body x-ray of a person under 18 would not count as CSAM, I don't think posting an ultrasound would either.

... posting a full body x-ray of an under-18 doesn't count as CSAM, right?

I'm sure they're somebody's fetish.
But no, I don't think so, though depending on positioning and how easy it is to see the outlines of the body... It could be?

Or if a child is alive at conception, then isn't it also a citizen at conception? Making tourism babies almost impossible to stop?

Idaho Lawmaker Asks If Swallowing Small Camera Could Allow Remote Gynecological Exams

He later backtracked, trying to claim he was asking a rhetorical question, to prove the difference between a colonoscopy and a gynecological exam.

This comes amidst discussion of a bill that would bar doctors from prescribing abortion-inducing medication via telemedicine.
While this is worth mockery, it's worth pointing out this story is from 2015 and that bill has long since gone.

figmentPez

Staff member
Checked the date on this headline from Idaho:
Loss of federal protection in Idaho spurs pregnant patients to plan for emergency air transport

Because patients can't get the life-saving care they need in-state, they are now being airlifted to other states. The rise in use of emergency aircraft is endangering other patients who might need care.

"That rise has prompted some Idaho physicians to advise their pregnant patients, or those trying to become pregnant, to purchase memberships with companies like Life Flight Network or Air St. Luke’s in the Boise area to avoid potentially significant costs if they need air transport in an emergency."

The article later notes that you need private insurance to be able to get a membership with those air transport companies. This post could just as easily go in the Income Inequality thread.