Export thread

Roommate Advice

FnordBear

FnordBear

Situation:

My current roommate and I are taking on a third mate (mutual best friend). We are moving to a new three bedroom apartment.

We will all be equally on the lease, paying equal money, etc.

One of the rooms is a 'master bedroom' with it's own full bathroom etc. My current roommate has no designs on it but our soon to be new roommate wants it and so do I.

His argument for wanting the room with a private bath is that due to his professional and personal life he is more susceptible to communicable disease (work HVAC and is exposed to lots of mold and mildew, and in private life is a bit of a man-whore).

My argument is as a dedicated third shifter I want a room where I can keep to myself during the day and when I am awake at night not disturb the other roommates with my activities. I also practice aroma therapy and meditation with incense (the scents bother them both) and I would like to keep such things in a private bathroom, again out of respect to them both.

On an unspoken personal level, since I have been a big boy and living away from home (ten years now) I have had pretty lousy accommodations in one way or another. Living in a rundown apartment with ex wife, living in a guest room with current roommate, I just want a place where I truely feel at home.

So am I being reasonable or greedy in my desires?

And below is the floor-plan of the apartment if anyone is interested.

Null

Null

That's the room I'd want. Is it fair? I don't know. You both make good cases, but I think overall it'd be less problematic if you, using the incense bullshi- er, aroma therapy, had a private room instead of having to share it with the others. Or more the point, having them share it with you whether they like it or not.

Chazwozel

Situation:

My current roommate and I are taking on a third mate (mutual best friend). We are moving to a new three bedroom apartment.

We will all be equally on the lease, paying equal money, etc.

One of the rooms is a 'master bedroom' with it's own full bathroom etc. My current roommate has no designs on it but our soon to be new roommate wants it and so do I.

His argument for wanting the room with a private bath is that due to his professional and personal life he is more susceptible to communicable disease (work HVAC and is exposed to lots of mold and mildew, and in private life is a bit of a man-whore).

My argument is as a dedicated third shifter I want a room where I can keep to myself during the day and when I am awake at night not disturb the other roommates with my activities. I also practice aroma therapy and meditation with incense (the scents bother them both) and I would like to keep such things in a private bathroom, again out of respect to them both.

On an unspoken personal level, since I have been a big boy and living away from home (ten years now) I have had pretty lousy accommodations in one way or another. Living in a rundown apartment with ex wife, living in a guest room with current roommate, I just want a place where I truely feel at home.

So am I being reasonable or greedy in my desires?

And below is the floor-plan of the apartment if anyone is interested.

The HVAC and STD's excuse is such bullshit. Just so you know. The only "STD" you can get from your roommate (unless you suck his dick) is crabs.

Roxxoredizorz

Well, if say roommate 2 doesn't like the smell, and neither does roommate 3, roommate 1 should get the main bathroom. If he is afraid of sharing it, maybe have two different bathmats, or use a bit of that Scrubbing Bubbles shit.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well his reasons are ridiculous, and if you want it, then take it.

And the laundry is in the kitchen?

strawman

strawman

The problem started when someone suggested, and everyone agreed, that each room costs the same. It's obvious that whoever gets the private bathroom and largest room should pay more than the two that not only have to share a bathroom, but have to maintain it as the guest bathroom.

I'd say a 60/40/40 split was fair.

This is otherwise going to be a very sore point of contention for the remainder of the stay.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

If you guys don't yield or anything, you should probably either bid on it like an eBay auction, or do a silent bid or something, and whoever bids the highest monthly rent gets it at their cost. That's how to prove who wants it more, and is probably the fairest.

Baerdog

Baerdog

The problem started when someone suggested, and everyone agreed, that each room costs the same. It's obvious that whoever gets the private bathroom and largest room should pay more than the two that not only have to share a bathroom, but have to maintain it as the guest bathroom.

This is otherwise going to be a very sore point of contention for the remainder of the stay.
I think you mean a 40/30/30 split of the rent. I agree though that whomever has the master bedroom should pay more for having the private bathroom.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Yeah the utility closet is off the kitchen. LOL

We also laugh at the 1337 sq foot floor space. We take it as a sign as we are all three geeks (all three table top gamers, all three video gamers, and I am a professional geek)

*Also I have agreed to pay higher rent if I get the room.

General Specific

General Specific

So they should pay 140% of the rent?

Perhaps you meant something like 40/30/30?

:p

Damn you Baer for your ninja! And damn you Dirty Jobs for being entertainingly distracting!

strawman

strawman

I think you mean a 40/30/30 split of the rent. I agree though that whomever has the master bedroom should pay more for having the private bathroom.[/QUOTE]

No, no, it should definitely be 60/40/40, with him pocketing the extra 40%, and thus getting the big room with a 20/40/40 split.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I would suggest a traditional Finnish duel for settling the matter, but I don't think you'll be able to find a sauna, a snowdrift and a sufficient amount of alcohol for that...

Espy

Espy

I agree though that whomever has the master bedroom should pay more for having the private bathroom.
QFT.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

What stienman said basically. If the other guy still wants it then, go heads or tails on it.

Espy

Espy

What stienman said basically. If the other guy still wants it then, go heads or tails on it.
Yeah, I think if only one of you is willing to pay more then it's that persons. If both are willing go heads or tails. Honestly, no matter your reasons, its just fair.
The question is, can whoever loses be cool or will they spend the time living together pissed off?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What, am I the only one who thinks this should involve some kind of a duel? Preferably with somebody betting 400 quatloos on the newcomer?

elph

Looking at the floor plan, if you're a 3rd shifter isn't it likely you'll be sleeping while the living room is in 'prime time'? Not sure if that's a major thing to you though, I can sleep through near anything...

Other then that, what the other people have said... duel included.

Heavan

What, am I the only one who thinks this should involve some kind of a duel? Preferably with somebody betting 400 quatloos on the newcomer?
Not at all. This must be settled in a fight to the death. You may think that killing off one person would make having a 3 bedroom apartment a stupid idea. But it won't.

The survivor gets both of the free bedrooms. One for himself, and the other... HIS HAREM!

TO THE BATTLEFIELD!

Chazwozel

Not at all. This must be settled in a fight to the death. You may think that killing off one person would make having a 3 bedroom apartment a stupid idea. But it won't.

The survivor gets both of the free bedrooms. One for himself, and the other... HIS HAREM!

TO THE BATTLEFIELD![/quote]

This post has the Chazwozel Seal of Approval. :thumb:

Pon Farr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Well basically we are both willing to pay a higher rent premium. Third room mate could care less about roomage so it is just us two.

There will be no hard feelings either way to clarify, this is a case of three guys who have no blood relation are as close a brothers without sharing parents. We have all been there for each other for the hardest times in their lives, me and my divorce, one guy loosing his dad to cancer, and the other having the girl of his dreams cheat on him and throw him out while he saved for a ring.

We have bonds like that.

Noise wont be an issue for me, not only am I mildly hard of hearing I get up around primetime and leave the house (I'm out the door by 9pm)

As for a physical dual..well I mass about 200 lbs on him but have a bad knee and back. He has muy thai classes weekly, I have memorized and practiced the English translation of the Spetzna knife-fighting handbook...it would be an interesting duel.

A finish dual in a sauna and snow drift with liqour...I would win :)

I am appreciating the suggestions folks, I don't feel like such a douche now for wanting the bigger room.

Espy

Espy

It's not douchey to want a bigger room. Who wouldn't? You guys just need a fair way of deciding.

SUPER MARIO BROS OFF.

Shakey

Shakey

Slap fight!

Each take turns slapping the other in the face. The first one to yield loses the room.

strawman

strawman

Slap fight!

Each take turns slapping the other in the face. The first one to yield loses the room.
The first one to palm a handful of push pins wins.

Occasional Poster

When my roommate and I were deciding on who whould get the (slightly) larger room of the apartment we found that we both had logical reasons to for claiming it. He has several instruments that need space. I had been in line for an apartment two years longer than him which enabled us to get the apartment easier. We were both willing to pay more rent to get the larger room, though neither of us was very keen on it. We had known each other for five years so we were not embarassed to want the larger room and argue for it.

We ended up playing the lottery for it. The person who got the most numbers right got the room and the other person was allowed to request it after a year, no hard feelings.

I lost the lottery and got the smaller room. It's been two and a half years and it has never been a problem. I can request the larger room at any time, but I'm satisfied with the smaller.

I guess that a competition that both of us had the exact same chance of winning was what we felt was most fair. Had we decided on something athletic or intellectual one of us would naturally have a favorable position, but with chance there's no fighting the result. I believe that the randomness helped us ward against any resentment.

strawman

strawman

the randomness helped us ward against any resentment.
QFT.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Roshambeu him for it.

General Specific

General Specific

Roshambeu him for it.
Just make sure you go first.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Roshambeu him for it.
Just make sure you go first.[/QUOTE]

I would wear a cup and my steel-toe boots.

phil

phil

can you do your aroma therapy on the deck? If so, I'd take the bedroom furthest right. It looks like it opens up into the bathroom, so it'll have a more private feel than going across that gap.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Does he have any pets?

Tell him he can have the room, then skin his pet, disembowel it and hang it from it's entrails on the ceiling fan in his room with it turned on the lowest setting possible. Write in the animals blood "Welcome Home" on the wall a few times for good measure.

This will be tricky if the pets are either small rodents or fish....

@Li3n

@Li3n

Or if there are animal protection laws where he's from... easier to just kill the guy and wear his skin to trick people that he left for Antartica...

That's the room I'd want. Is it fair? I don't know. You both make good cases, but I think overall it'd be less problematic if you, using the incense bullshi- er, aroma therapy, had a private room instead of having to share it with the others. Or more the point, having them share it with you whether they like it or not.
WTF you talking about... the placebo effect is well documented and recognized by science...

FnordBear

FnordBear

can you do your aroma therapy on the deck? If so, I'd take the bedroom furthest right. It looks like it opens up into the bathroom, so it'll have a more private feel than going across that gap.
Not an option for the winter time...not a bad idea for spring and summer though :) ...would rather not freeze my small, shriveled balls off.

Does he have any pets?

Tell him he can have the room, then skin his pet, disembowel it and hang it from it's entrails on the ceiling fan in his room with it turned on the lowest setting possible. Write in the animals blood "Welcome Home" on the wall a few times for good measure.

He has no pets. Though I know he uses a black light as a "mood enhancer" when he has a lady friend over. I was thinking of using UV paint to draw pentacles on his ceiling and write "Blood for the blood god!" on his wall.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I was thinking of using UV paint to draw pentacles on his ceiling and write "Blood for the blood god!" on his wall.
Blasphemer.... the eight pointed star of chaos is the only symbol for the Blood God (and eight is Khorne's number anyway).

FnordBear

FnordBear

I was thinking of using UV paint to draw pentacles on his ceiling and write "Blood for the blood god!" on his wall.
Blasphemer.... the eight pointed star of chaos is the only symbol for the Blood God (and eight is Khorne's number anyway).[/QUOTE]

Blah blah 40k etc. :)

Not too up on the fluff beyond what /tg/ tells me.

phil

phil

Not an option for the winter time...not a bad idea for spring and summer though :) ...would rather not freeze my small, shriveled balls off.

[/QUOTE]

you could do it quickly in the winter, or bring blankets or something. I don't know how long it takes one to aroma theripize, or how long it stays cold where you are. Here it just now got kinda cold but should be better by marchish.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

He has no pets. Though I know he uses a black light as a "mood enhancer" when he has a lady friend over. I was thinking of using UV paint to draw pentacles on his ceiling and write "Blood for the blood god!" on his wall.
That would be epic.

Iaculus

Blasphemer.... the eight pointed star of chaos is the only symbol for the Blood God (and eight is Khorne's number anyway).[/QUOTE]

Filthy Undivided heretic!

Thaaat's better...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Blasphemer.... the eight pointed star of chaos is the only symbol for the Blood God (and eight is Khorne's number anyway).[/quote]

Thaaat's better...[/QUOTE]

Better then someone faking being a khornate... i mean what is that, proper grammar, words you can easily make out, no foam at the mouth?! You shame your God... "Hydra Dominatus!"

Iaculus

Blasphemer.... the eight pointed star of chaos is the only symbol for the Blood God (and eight is Khorne's number anyway).[/quote]

Thaaat's better...[/quote]

Better then someone faking being a khornate... i mean what is that, proper grammar, words you can easily make out, no foam at the mouth?! You shame your God... "Hydra Dominatus!"[/QUOTE]

Dat's da Orks.

Like everything else, poor spelling and grammar make a true worshipper of Khorne RAAAAAAAAGE.

TotalFusionOne

If you're a third-shifter why aren't you taking the interior bedroom with the shared bathroom? Less chance of outside things bothering you that way. And no one coming in or out.

Honestly if you have a hobby which bothers your roommate, you picked the wrong person to be a roommate.

FnordBear

FnordBear

If you're a third-shifter why aren't you taking the interior bedroom with the shared bathroom? Less chance of outside things bothering you that way. And no one coming in or out.

Honestly if you have a hobby which bothers your roommate, you picked the wrong person to be a roommate.

Partly due to my work week being shorter so I have a longer weekend and partly due to my hearing loss my music and tv tend to be a tad loud for their tastes. Thus I want a segregated room where my noise wont bother them.

Dave

Dave

Go to the store, buy a new game that neither of you have ever played. Load it up and go head-to-head best 2 of 3.

Winner gets the big room.

Or a game of poker. Something like that.

TotalFusionOne

There is, of course, a very simple way to solve this issue.

Koko

TotalFusionOne

Scissors cuts paper, paper cuts rocks, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock and, as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

Finally got it memorized. Took like 15 minutes. Oi.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Scissors cuts paper, paper cuts rocks, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock and, as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

Finally got it memorized. Took like 15 minutes. Oi.
I've never been able to memorize that. I'm a "rock paper scissors" purist.

Ross

Ross

Roshambeu him for it.
This is what I did when I got my first apartment. First, my roommate and I set EXACTLY how much each of us had to pay depending on which bedroom we ended up with. Next was a roshambo match-up... best 2 out of 3.

I won :)

Also, what's up with that shared bathroom with the 2 doors? I dislike that very much. *opens door* "Oh shiiiiiiiiii I forgot to close/lock the other one!" *awkward moment*

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Also, what's up with that shared bathroom with the 2 doors? I dislike that very much. *opens door* "Oh shiiiiiiiiii I forgot to close/lock the other one!" *awkward moment*
We have one of those. I don't really like it that much. But we haven't had any bad moments, since you can tell if someone's in there usually because the light's on.

Dave

Dave

Easy. That little recess where the door leads into the bathroom would be a perfect place for a dresser. Block that door off and nobody can use it. Voila! Only 1 door.

Ross

Ross

Easy. That little recess where the door leads into the bathroom would be a perfect place for a dresser. Block that door off and nobody can use it. Voila! Only 1 door.
I like it!

Shannow

Shannow

I got the master bedroom here at the new place. When it was brought up why... "I give us free cable with every pay channel, 3 hd boxes and dvrs, and the turbo internet free. You want that room, you pay for half what that would cost you normally"

Surprisingly, there was no argument about who got the room after that.

Chibibar

This is my personal rules regarding Master Bedroom

Master Bedroom should always pay a little more than everyone else because it is enclose (i.e. closet, bath and bedroom and only 1 entrance)

I say 40/30/30 split is good. So if he is willing to pay more (or you) then well....

duel for it? ;)

Ross

Ross

This is my personal rules regarding Master Bedroom

Master Bedroom should always pay a little more than everyone else because it is enclose (i.e. closet, bath and bedroom and only 1 entrance)

I say 40/30/30 split is good. So if he is willing to pay more (or you) then well....

duel for it? ;)
Fuck the 40/30/30. If you're paying $950/mo. for rent (checked the site for that price), that leaves the master bedroom fronting an extra $95/mo.

Going over the pros and cons of the master bed and objectively weighing them...

Private bath: +$50/mo.
Separated room: +$25/mo.
Additional close space: +$15/mo.
Additional square-footage of the bedroom: $ Depends on what the actual square-footage is compared to the other bedrooms. If the picture is to scale, I'd say it's about the same.... so $0/mo.

Right next to apartment entry door: -$10/mo.
Bedroom door opens directly into living room and is also largely visible from the kitchen: -$10/mo.

So after weighing in what I consider to be the most crucial aspects of what each bedroom is worth, I wouldn't pay more than an additional $70/mo. for the master bedroom.

TotalFusionOne

Says the guy who was going to rent this place for $400 all inclusive :p

Ross

Ross

Considering that I was already here and had already spent 2 months trying to find a roommate, whereas they're all moving in together at the same time :)

What I did above was how my roommate and I resolved costs for our first apartment, since we were in a similar situation to the OP.

TotalFusionOne

Considering that I was already here and had already spent 2 months trying to find a roommate, whereas they're all moving in together at the same time :)

What I did above was how my roommate and I resolved costs for our first apartment, since we were in a similar situation to the OP.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Necessity dictated price.

I switch sides. I'm with Ross.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Switch rooms every 6 months, or better yet, every other month!

Calleja

Calleja

I'd say just flip a coin. It's still a perennial favorite for a reason.

Null

Null

Or, like Kameha, give them avian flu, and see if either of them survive.

Occasional Poster

I'd say just flip a coin. It's still a perennial favorite for a reason.
Just don't let the coin hit anything on the way down, it's interference.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Whose name is on the lease?

quandofloo

It's not douchey to want a bigger room. Who wouldn't? You guys just need a fair way of deciding.

SUPER MARIO BROS OFF.
Mario Kart 64. It is the only way to solve this.

Ross

Ross

Whose name is on the lease?
All of their names should be on the lease. The vast, VAST majority of apartment complexes (if not all) don't allow people to live in the apartment unless their name is on the lease.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Ok wanted to throw an update on here.

My friend and I sat and read the thread together, talked it out, and decided that it is logical for me to get the master bedroom. I will pay the $45 trash/water bill as well since I have the bigger room.

Thank you for all the comments and advice folks :)

strawman

strawman

Huzzah! Party in FnordBear's room!

Covar

Covar

All of my apartments me and my roomate(s) always split up the rent based on the ratio of square footage in the Bedrooms. It's mathmatically sound the person with the larger room pays a proportionate amount more of the rent. We split utilities evenly, and I pay the extra pet rent since she is my cat.

So far the price discrepancy has eliminated all of our room decisions.

Dave

Dave

I love the fact that you read the thread together. Apparently he thought it more prudent to discuss and give in than to duel you.