Sammi got her first job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Last night Sammi started her first job ever. It's at a place called Caniglia's Venice Inn here in Omaha and she'll be busing tables. Great fun, huh? I think it's cool she's working here, though.

1) It's where I worked for a number of years bar-tending.
2) It's where I proposed to my wife (almost 17 years ago!)
3) We had our rehearsal dinner there.
4) We've spent nearly every anniversary there.

So when Sammi went in she was treated as one of the family, which I suppose she is to them.

One thing that's funny is that tomorrow night there will be a camera crew there from the Travel Channel's show "Food Wars". Apparently the Venice Inn is going to go against another local restaurant named Piccolo's. I'll let you know when it's going to be on and if Sammi showed up on camera. Probably not, but you never know.

Dave

Staff member
Good for her. :biggrin: Did she specifically choose the place for that reason?
pretty much this. Also, the interview process was, "You're Dave's daughter? Well, we can use you a few nights a week to start..."

Dave

Staff member
No pool table. Fancy Italian restaurant.

We ate there last night and I dropped $100. But I got a $20 prime rib, my wife had a Cosmopolitan and an ice cream Mudslide afterward. Plus I got escargot. Yummy!

Cajungal

Staff member
She's going to have some good times. I remember feeling really proud about my first job. It was at a really crappy place too, but it was still fun.

Dave

Staff member
This first paycheck won't be exciting at all. It will have 4.5 hours on it. :rofl:

The first paycheck my son got at his theater job was hilarious. It only had a few days on it but he had to wait 2 weeks. By then he'd worked full shifts and was thinking the whole thing was going to be on it. On the ride home all he could do was look at it, sigh and put it back into his pocket.

Pull it back out again, sigh and put it away.

Repeat.

Then he started bitching about taxes, social security, etc. So I showed him one of my checks where the amount taken by the government is bigger than his check. "Welcome to my world." He shut up.

That's cool. Congrats to her. I remember my first job was at Subway. It was pretty crappy but I still had some fun.

Cajungal

Staff member
^Mine was at Pizza Hut! First paycheck, first time using the "mute" feature on a phone to cuss someone out, and first time being semi-assaulted by a man. Fun times! :awesome:

I like where this thread is heading, a "My first job" type thread. I'm surprised no one thought of that one!

My first job was at a nursing home as a dishwasher. As far as first jobs go, it paid pretty well. I made $7 an hour, and this was back in '94.

Oh, and once we had an old, naked Alzheimer patient show up in the kitchen while we were finishing up. Fun.

Dave

Staff member
My first job was with my dad. I made $5 an hour to be a carpenter's "go-fer". Although I do have 1 story....

I was on a job site with my dad and I was the only go-fer. Since they were all heavy drinkers and there were no toilet facilities around, they pissed into this big bucket. I found out at the end of the day that it was part of my job to empty the piss bucket.

Good times, good times.

Cajungal

Staff member
^Mine was at Pizza Hut! First paycheck, first time using the "mute" feature on a phone to cuss someone out, and first time being semi-assaulted by a man. Fun times! :awesome:
I hope that wasn't all the same encounter. :awesome:[/QUOTE]

:laugh: No. I've told that last story before here, I'm sure of it. Some bitter 30-something dude who was supposed to be a coach and didn't get to be. He was constantly insulting me because of the high school I went to. I made some smartass comment back at him, and he flipped me out of my chair.

North_Ranger

Staff member
"It's where you were conceived, born and educated."

It's worth an Internet :D

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Also, my first bout at gainful employment was working for three summers in a row at the marmalade factory my dad worked in. Of course, he had a cozy office job, while I got to be in the factory side, lugging around 40- to 50-pound bags of deep-frozen berries, emptying them in a vat and then sticking a long steam rod into the mix to melt them for boiling.

That's right, my job was to steam-melt berries. Usually by the end of the week when we gave up our uniforms for washing I looked like I had been assaulted by a raspberry-covered grizzly.

C

Chazwozel

Last night Sammi started her first job ever. It's at a place called Caniglia's Venice Inn here in Omaha and she'll be busing tables. Great fun, huh? I think it's cool she's working here, though.

So when Sammi went in she was treated as one of the family, which I suppose she is to them.

One thing that's funny is that tomorrow night there will be a camera crew there from the Travel Channel's show "Food Wars". Apparently the Venice Inn is going to go against another local restaurant named Piccolo's. I'll let you know when it's going to be on and if Sammi showed up on camera. Probably not, but you never know.
haha, you're daughter's a stripper! At least that's the joke I was going to work in somehow but really can't because you described her job situation in so much detail I hate you.

WAIT! I GOT ONE!!

5) Sammi was conceived in the bathroom stall there.

BOOYA!

Dave

Staff member
Their bathrooms are too small there. Now, had you said the back party room I'd be all over it.

Congrats, Dave.

My first job was a paper route, which was cool. Then I joined my dad doing inventories, working for a contractor who would inventory auto dealerships. All across NJ, NY, and Long Island (those were the worst), be there as close to 7am as you could. Which once or twice meant LEAVING by 3:30am. Hempstead Ford, L.I., we were doing a Pick & Pack (loading a trailer), I was the trailer guy. 7 hours in the rain, moving stuff from one end of the tractor trailer to the back.

Good for her, Dave. It's good to take that step in the world.

My first job, I don't really count, because I quit after a couple days cleaning up an ice cream shop.

I find it funny that I quit that after a few days, but I stuck with the job digging gravel holes, moving rocks, etc. heavy labor, and kept that for a couple months until I had college.

My first job was at a grocery store. I was a part of the glorious clean team. The best part was that even though I made barely above minimum wage I was still forced to be a part of a union! I got to pay union dues and all. Oh yeah, since I was part time I also got zero benefits, not like I needed them anyways. So, yeah, that's where my disdain for unions comes from.

Congrats to Sammi for the job though.

Necronic

Staff member
My first job was with my dad. I made $5 an hour to be a carpenter's "go-fer". Although I do have 1 story....

I was on a job site with my dad and I was the only go-fer. Since they were all heavy drinkers and there were no toilet facilities around, they pissed into this big bucket. I found out at the end of the day that it was part of my job to empty the piss bucket.

Good times, good times.
WTF! 5$ an hour! I started working in the late 90s and I didn't make that much (disenfranchised Dairy Queen. It was awesome, I smoked while I made burgers and washed dishes. I floated the ash tray in the dish water) . Damn old people and your ridiculously high wages.

My first job (off the farm) was working in the dark room developing photos for the family newspaper. I was 12 or 13 working with hazardous chemicals for four dollars an hour.

Dave

Staff member

Good times, good times.
WTF! 5$ an hour! I started working in the late 90s and I didn't make that much (disenfranchised Dairy Queen. It was awesome, I smoked while I made burgers and washed dishes. I floated the ash tray in the dish water) . Damn old people and your ridiculously high wages.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my dad paid me more than minimum wage. When I was that age $5 an hour was about 2.5 times minimum wage, which was about $2 an hour. It was one of the reasons I didn't mind so much emptying the piss bucket.

yeah, my first job at 15 was landscaping (digging channels for underground sprinkler system, planting shrubs, that kind of thing) for $7/hour. It was a big let-down when I got my first 'real' job at 16 and it only paid $2.85/hour.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I got my first summer job was when I was 13. I packed blueberries at a farm up the street from my parents' house. I worked 7 days a week from 7am until we got done. I made 22 cents for every crate I packed. During the peak of the season that meant I sometimes made $25 - $30 a day.

Dave

Staff member
As a farm kid I made a lot of money in the summers walking beans or detasseling corn.

I hated detasseling corn but walking beans was cool because the farm I worked had a very large contingent of female helpers and they all wore shorts and either halter tops or tube tops. It's hard to walk beans with a boner, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.