[Comics] Sandman (Hey Nick Look What I Just Got)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandman Volumes 1-10 in Slipcase. I've never read this series before, so it's going to be a fun weekend.

2012-11-09T17-48-52_0.jpg2012-11-09T17-48-52_1.jpg2012-11-09T17-48-52_2.jpg2012-11-09T17-48-52_4.jpg

Nice, man! That looks like a really great collection, too. I might get it sometimes, myself. Though part of me is kind of hates the trades, but it's 99% hate for just Volume 3, which only has three issues collected and a script. It's kind of a rip-off. Having the whole collection like makes it hardly matter, but it's just a pet peeve for me.

If you have any trades already I know the slipcase is available with just volume 10.

I just finished reading the first chapter/issue. Good so far, I wouldn't say instant masterpiece yet, but even the introduction by Karen Berger says the book doesn't really pick up until issue 8 (last issue in the first trade). If that's the case it's going to be a hell of a ride.

I now understand why people like Sam Keith's artwork. Still don't like his Batman. Also the Lettering is great so far. I know that's and odd statement, but it's a great example of the lettering enhancing the story in a non-obvious way. Much nicer than the by the numbers approach of a lot of books today.

2012-11-10T11-44-32_0.jpg
Finished the first trade. Death is adorable. Each issue in the trade was better than the last.

I love it when a book meets expectations.

Where it really picks up (though the earlier books are good) is The Kindly Ones. That's where the shit starts to hit the fan.

Neil is genius. He has an uncanny ability to sling together a hundred different threads, only to tie them all together at the end in a nice, neat little knot.

Season of Mists is definitely my favorite full length story, though I also love all the short, single-issue stories, even the tiny Volume 3.

It was someone here (probably ThatNickGuy) that first turned me on to The Sandman a few years ago, and now Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors of all time. So thanks Halforums!

2012-11-11T09-03-15_0.jpg
Finished The Doll's House Wednesday. Very good. Loved the Kirby Sandman reference and my favorite issue of the lot had to be the one part intermission, with the immortal man in the bar.

Next up: Dream Country.

That'll be a short read. As I said: three issues. They're damn good issues (including my second favourite one-issue story, with the cats). It's just short. Can't wait to hear what you have to say with Season of Mists.

I will say, though, that Dolls House has one of my favourite moments in the whole series: when Morpheus first runs into "Sandman." His reaction is just so priceless. Also, I didn't even know Gaiman was referencing/parodying Little Nemo in Slumberland until I studied that comic strip from the early 1900s in university.

I finished Dream Country, took my sweet ass time. (and it was 4 issues natch). I agree very short compared to the first two trades, but sadly normal for a trade today. Although I think I got more bang for my buck reading 4 standalone stories by Neil Gaiman than I would with your typical 4 issues for $20 IDW trade.

Was it four? I haven't owned the trades in a long time (not since getting the omnibuses) so I can't recall. There was the cat issue, Midsummers Night, Metamorpho, and....hm, I thought that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.