Export thread

School Assignment: Plot Terrorist Attack

FnordBear

FnordBear

Link to Yahoo News Article

Students at a government high school have been asked in a class assignment to plan a terrorist attack using chemical or biological warfare to kill as many innocent people as possible.
The task, set by a society and environment teacher at Kalgoorlie-Boulder Community High School, asked Year 10 students to pretend they were terrorists planning to make a political statement by releasing a chemical or biological agent on "an unsuspecting Australian community".
All in all it seems the school handled the situation appropriately but damn I don't want to imagine the stink that would be raised here in the US.

Reboneer

"The teacher, who is relatively inexperienced, made a well-intentioned but misguided attempt to engage the students in an assignment on contemporary conflict and how beliefs and values influence the behaviours and motives of individuals," he said.
This pretty much sums it up. Now let's sit back and watch this non-story get blown out of proportion :pop2:

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I have plotted terrorist attacks for fun before. Very loosely, but still, it's not different from a writer's work.

Covar

Covar

Teacher should have been fired.

Dave

Dave

This is fucking terrible and that teacher should be fired on the spot! Planning the death and destruction of innocents has no place in our society or any society for that matter. I am appalled and horrified by this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to playing Pandemic II.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

You made me want to try this game again. Apparently, I'm doing it wrong...

Dave

Dave

DAMN YOU MADAGASCAR!!

Chibibar

I can see both side of the assignment. While it is dangerous to put such thoughts into kids, it can also be helpful in some way. If the teacher has a debate on this in his class, the students can work on the counter-terrorism. It promote thinking outside of the box.

I am not sure if it is high school level material, but I can see it in college level.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

I really see nothing wrong with this, it's promoting critical thinking and it is putting you in the mindset of terrorist extremists so you can try to learn how they think and how they are motivated. This is the type of controversial radical shit that actually teaches kids, instead of you know just reading a chapter and taking a standardized test.

GasBandit

GasBandit

President Madagascar! A teacher in australia is having her students plot an imaginary biological attack!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You made me want to try this game again. Apparently, I'm doing it wrong...
[/QUOTE]
Man, I'm terrible at this game. I started in India and had my disease resistances full and transmissions full, and the second I increased my symptoms EVERY airport and shipyard in the world shut down.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He should have used a different lesson plan. Yes it is a critical thinking exercise, but it is the type of crap that ends careers.

makare

haha my mom was at a teacher meeting with other staff and they were joking about using terrorism or military tactics to teach geography.

I laughed too. I don't care. Fuck those guys.. it's funny.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

...or military tactics to teach geography.
A surprising amount of my geography knowledge comes from playing Risk with my dad as a kid.

Espy

Espy

Probably a bad call on this guys part. Should he be fired? Thats above my paygrade.

Troll

Troll

The teacher should be fired for stupidity. There are better ways to be creative and interesting.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The teacher should be fired for stupidity. There are better ways to be creative and interesting.
But he was teaching the class about Terrorism. It sounds like terrorism a required part of the curriculum. He just crossed a line there with the planning of the attack.

strawman

strawman

The CIA and other organizations hire people who do nothing but think up various terrorist plots. Just get the guidance counselor to state that they believe all the kids in his class are prime gov't agent material.

Chibibar

Should have use Revolutionary War era :) those were little terrorist too ;)

Element 117

The CIA and other organizations hire people who do nothing but think up various terrorist plots. /QUOTE]

where do I go to apply?

Null

Null

You don't apply. Jack Bauer sneaks into your home at night and you wake up in a CIA think tank.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Great, now I'm going to be checking in my closet and under my bed for Kiefer Sutherland before I go to sleep at night.

Null

Null

Great, now I'm going to be checking in my closet and under my bed for Kiefer Sutherland before I go to sleep at night.
Why? You're a nice guy. Any nice guys Jack Bauer associates with get killed by other people.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Oh, thanks, that makes me feel SO much better! :p

strawman

strawman

The CIA and other organizations hire people who do nothing but think up various terrorist plots. /QUOTE]

where do I go to apply?
Wanting the job automatically disqualifies you for it...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Depends on who you are talking about. That line is pretty much a cop out. A Revolutionary is not necessarily a Terrorist.

Chibibar

Depends on who you are talking about. That line is pretty much a cop out. A Revolutionary is not necessarily a Terrorist.[/QUOTE]

heh. true. My prof always say it all depend on who's view are you looking at in history.

Also I guess which and what act are consider terror against the community? the government? Were the Boston Tea Party consider terrorist act against the government? what about guerrilla warfare tactics against the red coats?

Basic definition of Terrorism is systematically using terror especially as a mean of coercion. So in my eyes, doing all those things is trying to coerce the British government to give more freedom to the colonist. (in a broad sense in my head)

Element 117

The CIA and other organizations hire people who do nothing but think up various terrorist plots.
where do I go to apply?[/QUOTE]

Wanting the job automatically disqualifies you for it...[/QUOTE]

General Specific

General Specific

The obvious answer to this assignment is to start a disease in Madagascar with no symptoms and only 1 or 2 resistances and transmission means. Then just wait for everyone else to catch it and hope it mutates into a deadly strain to the point where it wipes all of humanity out except for 1 lonely Chinese person.

Like this:

(they died shortly after this screen shot was gotten)