Scott Pilgrim is just like Pushing Daisies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
It ruined all the other movies/tv series because it is an epic of epic epicness!

...and is completely outside mainstream interests so I have to live in a world knowing that movies where you get coins from defeating your enemies is a rare exception.

I was under the impression Scott Pilgrim got a lot of really good reviews.
81% on RottenTomatoes. I don't know if those 81% were glowing and gushing or barely above the "I didn't feel cheated out of my money... barely" category. But yeah Scott Pilgrim didn't do poorly with the critics.

81% on RottenTomatoes. I don't know if those 81% were glowing and gushing or barely above the "I didn't feel cheated out of my money... barely" category. But yeah Scott Pilgrim didn't do poorly with the critics.
Basically this. Don't use Metacritic for anything, use Rotten Tomatos, especially since Metacritic only accepts reviews that use a ten point scale. Rotten Tomatos "did you like it or not?" system cuts to the heart of the matter a lot better.

J

Jiarn

I wasn't talking about Rotten Tomatoes, I meant the usual type of critics that are listed to bash movies that don't do well commercially. I'm still loving how enjoying bad movies for being bad = bad taste in film. I guess my love of Shawshank Redemption, Unbreakable, The Warriors, The Dark Knight, Forrest Gump, Blade Runner, Children of Men, Dr. Strange Love, Full Metal Jacket etc means nothing. Gotcha.

I wasn't talking about Rotten Tomatoes, I meant the usual type of critics that are listed to bash movies that don't do well commercially. I'm still loving how enjoying bad movies for being bad = bad taste in film. I guess my love of Shawshank Redemption, Unbreakable, The Warriors, The Dark Knight, Forrest Gump, Blade Runner, Children of Men, Dr. Strange Love, Full Metal Jacket etc means nothing. Gotcha.
Did I miss like three pages of this thread here? I thought it was about Scott Pilgrim.

J

Jiarn

It's carry over from another thread and a response to @Li3n's post.

Anyhoo.

I love the Scott Pilgrim movie, and watch it occasionally just in the background. The soundtrack and score are also pretty great and I've got 'em on my iPod.

Quality doesn't always mean monetary success, though. Moon is an amazing sci-fi movie but no one's heard of that. Dark Knight wouldn't have made half the money it did if it wasn't for Ledger dying. And don't quote me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Shawshank, Unbreakable, Children of Men, Warriors and Blade Runner did very well theatrically when they first came out.

I LOVED the comic series, and went into the movie prepared to hate it for being different and because michael cera seemed like a horrible choice to play scott.

But then I loved it, so... Mission failed.

J

Jiarn

Quality doesn't always mean monetary success, though. Moon is an amazing sci-fi movie but no one's heard of that. Dark Knight wouldn't have made half the money it did if it wasn't for Ledger dying. And don't quote me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Shawshank, Unbreakable, Children of Men, Warriors and Blade Runner did very well theatrically when they first came out.
Exactly. Thank you.

I was the same way Ravenpoe. Very anti Cera myself. At the time was yelling for Jesse Eisenberg instead, but I was happily surprised. The film got me into the manga, which I very quickly bought the day after I saw the film, along with an official soundtrack and t-shirt to help "the cause".

But...wait, what? You said critics bash movies that don't do well commercially, yet I said some of your favourites movies did not, in fact, do very well commercially.

Also, isn't it extremely common for really well-reviewed movies to do poorly? I mean, Meet the Spartans was a huge commercial success and the critics despied it. I'm confused by your argument, sir.

J

Jiarn

Ok I'll try again:

Critics are used as debate on whether a movie is good or bad. Many times, these critics are horribly out of touch with reality and are influenced by movie production companies. Simply put, a movie is not good or bad based on some person who's not even in the same age group or "taste" group as the people that are being argued against. I'm tired of this being a basis of argument. A movie is good or bad based on how a singular person feels about the film. You cannot tell someone they have bad taste in film just because your favorite out of touch critic said so.

You can by all means tell someone you don't agree with their taste in movies, based on your own taste, but saying "you're wrong and your movies are bad" based on that alone? Yeah I'm going snap back.

Now if a film fails on it's basis of judgement = Aka, bad acting, bad camera work, bad directing, bad plot etc. Then it's a basis you can use as an argument. Not just because the douche-bag of USA Today said so.

Ah, I see, thank you for elaborating.

However, what we're talking about isn't just one New York Times asshole. We're talking about majority. Rotten Tomatoes' scores, for example take a LOT of critics' scores or opinions and create a general percentage. Not everyone will agree of course and some people's fave movies might not score well (like some of mine) but the majority of opinion is the movie is good or not. Using Scott Pilgim as an example, the majority of critics and people that saw it loved it. But it still fiercely bombed in theatres.

Scott Pilgrim is easily my favorite movie I saw last year (note: I did not see very many movies), and everyone I've showed it to that was in to video games growing up absolutely loved it. Anyone who wasn't into video games growing up? Hated it.

Basically this. Don't use Metacritic for anything, use Rotten Tomatos, especially since Metacritic only accepts reviews that use a ten point scale. Rotten Tomatos "did you like it or not?" system cuts to the heart of the matter a lot better.
And yet it got my point across just fine...

Just because you like a shit sandwich doesn't mean you wouldn't like a regular one, does it?

And Strangelove is one word...

I'm still loving how enjoying bad movies for being bad = bad taste in film.
Didn't you defend Sucker Punch as a good movie?!

I was actually just thinking about the opening credits today. They are amazing opening credits. Watch it again:

Right off the bat, you are shown exactly what you're getting into. Fast music, quick cuts. Lots of energy. The camera trucks out long past the established space of the living room, transporting you right off the bat from the mostly real world the movie start in, into the fantasy realm it actually takes place in for the rest of the film. And if you watch carefully, the symbols that appear with each actor in those manic flashes of just a few frames each are symbolic of the character they play.
Scott Pilgrim- Bass strings, very simple audio waves, playing on only one string at a time
Ramona- Changes colour from pink to blue to green (the three hair colours she sports through the film)
Wallace- Cellphone battery depleting
Lucas Lee- skateboard, Xs, and his skate company's logo
Stacey Pilgrim- coffee stains
Envy Adams- a broken heart and complex audio waveforms
Kim Pine- 1,2,3,4! and the Sex Bob-omb bomb
Julie- Black censor bars
Todd- a bass guitar and Xs
Gideon- Slashes, glasses, and the G-Man logo (made up of 7s)
Young Neil- Three blank comic panels (The shirt he wears for many scenes in the film, it represents the idea that young Neil's story remains untold all throughout the comic/movie)
Stephen Stills- Acoustic Guitar and plaid pattern
Roxy- 4 Xs (She's the 4th evil ex)
Knives- two sais
Mathew Pattel and the Katanagi twins- more Xs

AND, The animation style used- directly painting on and scratching into bleached 35mm film, is a nod to National Film Board of Canada animator Norman McClaren , which establishes Canada (atleast for any film or animation buffs)

Basically, best opening title sequence ever, and I love this freaking movie.

I don't think it's the greatest movie ever and I don't think it's as good as the books.

It's just a fun movie to watch and listened to, especially after your fifth re-read of the comics.

I'm still discovering new themes and symbols in the comics. I had an hour long conversation with a friend on New Year's about it, stuff she noticed tat I hadn't and vice versa.

it was good, but I didn't quite get all the "BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!" people.
I love it. A LOT. I've watched it close to 30 times since the DVD came out (Including watching the 4 different commentaries 3-4 times each). But I don't even get the people who call it Edgar Wright's best movie, let alone those who call it THE best movie ever. Even when I say best opening sequence ever, I sayit without really meaning it. I'm sure if i thought about it I could name off several others.

It's on my Netflix queue. Wasn't sold by the trailers or the lukewarm reviews my friends gave it, so I figure I'll see it eventually.

It's a fun move that on one side is a crazy surreal action movie and on the other side is a surprising insightful look at relationships.

It's not the "best movie ever" but I love it dearly, and it was my favorite movie from 2010 even if it wasn't the best one I saw from last year.

It's a fun move that on one side is a crazy surreal action movie and on the other side is a surprising insightful look at relationships.

It's not the "best movie ever" but I love it dearly, and it was my favorite movie from 2010 even if it wasn't the best one I saw from last year.
Man, EXACTLY this. I think in order to really appreciate it, you need to see it at least twice, because the first time, you aren't going to really pick up on the intricacies relationships, and they actually seem much more shallow on the first viewing in my opinion.

After those two viewings, the more you watch it the more you appreciate. Much like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, Edgar Wright knows how to treat the DVD viewer by packing the dialogue and sets with so much that you notice something new almost every time you watch it.

I loved the tertiary characters in Scott Pilgrim. His sister especially. Rarely in the film, but they seemed to view the characters the way that I did: with lack of interest and disdain. That's not to say I hated the movie. I did enjoy it, it was fun and a little sweet. But at the same time it is so at odds with my character that I took nothing away from it. I have more in common with the more... cynical characters in the film.

Dark Knight wouldn't have made half the money it did if it wasn't for Ledger dying.
Thiiiiiiiiiiis is incredibly wrong. Batman was still Batman. Begins made something around $200m domestic with villains no one had heard of. Dark Knight was snowballing after the success of that one, plus adding the Joker, one of the most iconic villains/characters in history.

I'm not going to say Ledger's death didn't add to the box office total, but the movie had a lot going for it before that. His performance was getting a lot of buzz and crazy good reviews before his death, and he would have likely won the Oscar, dead or alive.

Back on topic ish: Scott Pilgrim rules, Sucker Punch still is an ugly little movie in every definition of the word, and I still laugh my ass off every time someone talks about film criticism on this board

To be fair to Nick, Batman Begins made $300 million worldwide, Dark Knight made over a billion. Dark Knight could have made double Batman Begins, and still made just over half of what it did. But yeah, I don't think Heath Ledgers death had as much to do with its success as Nick thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.