Search busted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried searching earlier and it seemed to only bring up results from after the move. Any threads from before the move don't seem to be included in the results..

K

Kitty Sinatra

It may be that threads from the old forum aren't searchable. They just might not be stored in the db the right way, or something like that.

Dave

Staff member
I may very well have to reindex the search. I will do that right now.

Oh, and you can use the FIX IT! button above, too. That sends Ame & I an email that something needs looked at.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I've got this mole on my back. Will the Fix It! button work for that?

3 letter searches don't work still eh? :(

JAY
NHL
NFL
DND

oh and is there a way to get back the post preview in search results? all i get are thread indexes

Dave

Staff member
They won't ever. With the SQL calls it becomes too resource intensive.

Sorry, man. I know it makes JCM sad.

Isn't there a way to limit searches to every 60 seconds with only forum members being able to use it then? I don't understand why older forum tech is far better for simple things such as searching your name every couple of days. The concept is rather asinine.

Dave

Staff member
1) People hate it - HATE IT - when you limit searches.
2) Not sure about just letting forum members search, but if a guest comes in looking for cosplay stuff then I'm going to let them search. It's brought in a few new members that way.
3) There is no 3.

I understand what you are saying and truthfully we could probably take the resource hit on our new server. But this was one of the things that killed us before and I'm loathe to start again with the bad habits.

Did I read that the forum staff will cater to guests over those who have been active members of the community who have contributed money to these same forums? Is there no function to limit guest searches and leave members alone?

Once you've taken a chill pill take a moment and kindly doublechek on that statement as it doesn't work.

lol

K

Kitty Sinatra

I saw that post, Vyx. You weren't imagining it. Also, one asterisk seems to be enough. And "Ja*" works, too.

Dave

Staff member
I think I may have posted it in another thread. The JCM thread, in fact. So you're not that crazy.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Why does JCM get a thread and not me? :humph:

Actually, I have spotted an issue that should get fixed if you car, but I don't care that much. The Arcade link gets hidden underneath the quick search text box when the browser window is sized for my netbook. Just shrink your window and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And truly, other parts of the site are too wide for the netbook. For example, the blog stuff that gets loaded up beside the forum index; It's certainly very helpful that there's the little widget for hiding the blog stuff. I say I don't care because this is one of those things i have to put up with across the net when browsing on the little screen.

I, uh, am posting this here instead of starting another thread because I'm not asking for a fix. I'm just saying, is all I'm saying.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Didn't notice that about the opt buttons when resizing. I'll see what I can do about that.
I might as well add that the little "tag" and "attachment" icons on the thread index have the same behaviour as the search box. They often overlap the page selection links.

One last thing... is there a way to get search result previews of the post? I mean, is there a specific way I can search a word (example : tears) and when the results come in, I can already see in the "post" form a preview of the post with the TEARS highlighted? When I try the search by type then show results as posts, I get results as threads. :(

It was a neat feature.

Hopefully they'll patch it in in the next update.

People should be screaming about it.

CHANGE IS BAD, MMMKAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.