Searching on the fritz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
What are you searching for? If you don't want to post it publicly, you can PM me.
Oh, nothing critical. But it times out no matter what I search for. I even tried searching for the world "stuff" to verify it didn't work. Ame got results I'm guessing because she runs searches differently? Mine always seem to time out within 5-10 seconds.

Edit: I tried searching for much more obscure words such as "melchior" and "trondheim" and both pretty much immediately came back as "no results." Seems it only happens with words you'd expect to be used pretty commonly.

I am shocked that after 12 hours no one has come in here demanding an apology to all the German American posters we have on this board...

I looked up the etymology of the phrase; it apparently predates being used for consumer goods and the first recorded instances relate to bad situations. It also predates WWI, when the use of Fritz became widespread as a nickname for Germans.

One theory is that it arose from a popular comic at the time, The Katzenjammer Kids, but there is no concrete proof from whence it came.

Well I'm just learning all sorts of things today:

jury rig= makeshift construction
jerrybuild= shoddily built but permanent construction
jerry-rig= repaired from salvaged parts (from pejorative for German soldiers)

Status
Not open for further replies.