[Rant] Seasonal go eff yourself disorder

It's that time of year again.

Meh.

I just can't get excited for the holidays anymore, if I ever really could after my dad passed in '86. We were never ones for big family get-togethers, and nowadays, even less so. In this town, it's just my mom and I. No one else within 250 miles. Besides my sister in DC, the next closest relative under 65 is in... Florida. 900 miles away.

With two replaced knees, and one replaced shoulder, mom doesn't travel well. I can't get time off, and no one else has time or money to come here. Not to mention the sheer panic it would induce at trying to get the house prepared when there's barely time and energy for mere day-to-day existence. :aaah:

And then there's my work. Even if family did come, third shift means I get out of bed to welcome them, then go right back to sleep. I see them again as they're going to bed and I'm having breakfast. A normal Thanksgiving dinner would be at something like 2-4am by my schedule. So while everyone else is feasting, my "dinner" would be leftovers, in the middle of the night, alone.

Christmas? Meh again. Same distances, (non) travel, and third shift issues as Thanksgiving, with a dose of lack of funds to buy presents for everyone you want to buy for, not knowing what to get for those few you can afford to buy for, and hoping they didn't already buy it for themselves (guilty! :D). I can usually get away with an Amazon card for mom and her kindle, and a B&N card for my sister and her nook. :)

But holding the gifts until Christmas Day? Nope. Since there's no gathering, we haven't bothered with that in years. We buy the gift weeks ahead, we give it as soon as we can get home or get it in the post.

I don't begrudge anyone getting all revved up for the holidays. I'm just not one to get overly excited about it.

Doesn't mean I won't put on my old Xmas albums in December. Gotta have at least a little fun with it. ;)

There's a lot of pressure to have "a blast" for the holidays. I think we build it up a bit too much, and then are let down; especially watching movie after movie with big families, decked out houses, and loads of presents. I'd say take charge, and make some of your own traditions with your mom and make it special. Do something different. Cheers @DarkAudit

fade

Staff member
I love Christmas. I always get excited for it. It has a lot to do with growing up in a big low-income family. The only time we ever had anything special was Christmas. That feeling is still there.

That said, I do wish my kids didn't always seem so jaded about everything. That's the bad side of your kids having it better than you did.

I live in different countries than my folks and sister, and the other side of the country from most of my relatives, so Xmas planning is rough. Weirdly, it's also when I appreciate Amazon and the internet the most, because I can send gifts whether digital or physical to them easily!

This will be the first Christmas I don't spend with family (either in laws or my own) in my life. Not sure how I feel about that.

If Christmas was actually 12 days instead of two months, I might be less grumpy by the time it rolls around.
This, this right fucking here.[DOUBLEPOST=1415126653,1415126498][/DOUBLEPOST]
This will be the first Christmas I don't spend with family (either in laws or my own) in my life. Not sure how I feel about that.
I hear ya man, the first time I did this it was really weird, but also kind of liberating (if a little lonely). I really missed my folks but it also took a lot of the pressure off beyond a few phone calls, and I got to hang out with a few other people in the same situation a couple times.

For me, it's a chance to make my kids' day and I love doing that for them. It's also a chance to spend some time not working or traveling together.

Thanksgiving is the big one for my family, Christmas is a lot smaller.

I enjoy the holidays because I get to be the most true version of myself.

I understand it's a huge strain on a lot of people, especially if tragic events happened/are remembered around this time.

But, I love being able to be myself without being side-eyed by everyone. I like to give everything I have to other people and if it's not around the holidays, EVERYONE is suspicious of me. Like, I can bake treats now and take them to everyone! :D I can give random gifts. I can spend all the time I want making sure my friends and family are in good sorts. It's nice to be able to act out how I feel during the rest of the year.

That said, I never expect everyone to be excited about the holidays, especially as we all get older. :(

(I'm just a ball of optimistic sunshine okay!!)

I enjoy the holidays because I get to be the most true version of myself.

I understand it's a huge strain on a lot of people, especially if tragic events happened/are remembered around this time.

But, I love being able to be myself without being side-eyed by everyone. I like to give everything I have to other people and if it's not around the holidays, EVERYONE is suspicious of me. Like, I can bake treats now and take them to everyone! :D I can give random gifts. I can spend all the time I want making sure my friends and family are in good sorts. It's nice to be able to act out how I feel during the rest of the year.

That said, I never expect everyone to be excited about the holidays, especially as we all get older. :(

(I'm just a ball of optimistic sunshine okay!!)
You really should do this all year long. Embrace yourself*, and don't worry what others think.

*no, not like that**

**actually yes, like that***

***why are you still clicking these?

For me, it's a chance to make my kids' day and I love doing that for them.
This is where I've been with it for the last several years, going over to my aunts' house for Christmas and getting to watch my little cousins on what's an amazing morning for them each year.

Which makes it all the harder that:

Yeah, likewise. My aunts and cousins moved to Arizona in June. We were going to be there with them, but some shit got messed up at work with time off and now there's a shit-ton of overtime. I can't get time to see them, not even time to visit other family, so it's just going to be my wife and I, which is weird for both of us. Last year we made a big deal about Christmas, building up to it since we knew it might be the last for a while with family, and it was honestly the big Christmas of my life. Yeah, when I was a kid it was great to get presents, but the love we felt last year was extraordinary, better than any gift.

On some level we're both going "Okay, now we can do this our way," but I don't really see that being anything. Religiously, the window dressing is almost identical, and as far as presents go, it's going to be a bizarre morning with just us going back and forth. I don't even know what we're doing food-wise.

Also, I'm not ready for Halloween to be over. One more month! ONE MORE MONTH! :aaah:

Since family isn't coming for Xmas, and we're not going anywhere, it's no big deal that I'm working tonight or tomorrow night. My biggest worry is whether or not Tim's is open on the way home in the morning. :D