Secret Santa 2019 - now with more DoomWeasels!

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Hey, @Dei! If someone were to buy you an article of clothing like a shirt, what size should it be? If you don't want to post it publicly, send Gas an IM and he'll tell me. I'm ordering your gift today (so very sorry it's so late!)

Hey, @Dei! If someone were to buy you an article of clothing like a shirt, what size should it be? If you don't want to post it publicly, send Gas an IM and he'll tell me. I'm ordering your gift today (so very sorry it's so late!)
I think I put it in my secret Santa note, but likely a large.

It's a tinwhistle...a brand I've never owned, from a maker I've heard of, but never corresponded with. Is that the gift?
Yes! And that was kind of the idea! (one you've never owned, that is)
What makes this doubly puzzling is they put a phone number on the package, for a phone # I haven't used in 7 years.
The shipper required a phone number, so I had to do some sleuthing to put something in there that at least had a chance of being right.

It goes something like this: I wanted to get you a(nother) whistle. I also wanted to make a bunch of innuendo-laden SS posts about how your present would be stiff and fingerable and “the D” etc. etc. but in the end decided eh, heck with that. Some YouTube sleuthing led me to the Killarney brass soprano D whistle as one with great sound and character, and I found an absolutely spectacular deal on one after checking to make sure it was not in the photo of your whistle collection. I was literally sitting with one in my cart when I stumbled over your anniversary pic and a video showing you already had one. Aaigh! So I had to go find a different one that was of similar character and that wasn't in any of your pics. It was a few (... dozen) dollars more than the Killarney, but... eh, by that point I was committed.

So...pictures? Performance, even?

--Patrick

Last edited:
Oh, and I had asked them to include a note if they could, but I guess they didn’t. It was supposed to say, “Never too many whistles!”

—Patrick

Yes!

The shipper required a phone number, so I had to do some sleuthing to put something in there that at least had a chance of being right.

It goes something like this: I wanted to get you a(nother) whistle. I also wanted to make a bunch of innuendo-laden SS posts about how your present would be stiff and fingerable etc. etc. but in the end decided eh, heck with that. Some YouTube sleuthing led me to the Killarney brass soprano D whistle as one with great sound and character, and I found an absolutely spectacular deal on one after checking to make sure it was not in the photo of your whistle collection. I was literally sitting with one in my cart when I stumbled over your anniversary pic and video showing you already had one. Aaigh! So I had to go find a different one that was of similar character and that wasn't in any of your pics. It was a (few... dozen) dollars more than the Killarney, but... eh, by that point I was committed.

So...pictures? Performance, even?

--Patrick
Awesome! Thank you so much! I was puzzling over whether it was a brand sample, or a gift from one of the ladies with my name on it accidentally, or what. You spent way too much on me, my man, but it's totally appreciated!

Here's a pic of the whistle (and whaddya know? uploading worked fine for me today. It's a Christmas Miracle!)

mcneela.jpg

And a vid...

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Whoops, I thought I put my name on the note somewhere. My bad. But this is exactly the reaction I was hoping for. :D

(Also, for the record, this was below the $50 limit. It was on sale with a handsome discount, plus I got an additional discount for being a Chapters Rewards member.)
Oh thank god. I know how much it is normally, part of why I've never got it for myself, so I was really taken back when I opened it. Thanks again!

I have checked my list twice and it looks like everyone has sent to their victim Secret Santa, so I have ordered the doomweasels to stand down.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

@Dave the USPS is still saying that the package is in transit and on time, even with the snow all around the area. Still saying tomorrow for delivery.

Indeed! Now I have a trio of interesting books to read during my upcoming winter vacation. Thanks @Bubble181!

View attachment 32562View attachment 32563
I personally quite enjoyed Stalingrad (though, of course, it's a pretty detailed high-level description of one of the bloodiest battles in modern history). It's a good read.
I've heard really good things from friends about Last Boat out of Shanghai, though I haven't read it myself. An American Adventure was a pure gamble.
Hope you find them interesting/educational/fun!

Hey, look! There's still a chance for me not to be last this year. Onward!

A package arrived!
...It was just one of those white plastic postal bags, so I don't have the usual unboxing sequence, sorry.
But the contents certainly look like they're not from around these parts:

chillin.png

That second shirt makes it kinda obvious who my secret Santa probably was. I'll leave why as an exercise for the viewer.
They will join my other gifted T-shirts:

wideL.png

wideR.png

(Not pictured: "Glass Spider" and "Against the Wind" concert shirts, a shirt promoting the movie Housesitter: The Night They Saved Sigfried's Brain, and one promoting Hot Damn! schnapps, and a black T-shirt from my nephew which just has "No I will NOT fix your computer!" written on it in white letters -- because I couldn't find them in time for the photo)

--Patrick

Glad you liked them! And what EVER could have given it away as to who your SS was? ;)
Just playing the odds.

Also, sorry for blowing the photos out like that. I tried to compensate for indoor lighting, but that IBM shirt ended up brighter than even Billy Mays could hope for.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Got my package last night. No grand unboxing, though, as the wife got to it first. And frankly, I'm surprised she didn't tuck in as these are her favorites!

Candy from the great state of Texas! Thanks, Santa!

2019-12-16 15.59.51.jpg

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

@evilmike It looks like your shipment was delayed. Tracking number currently has it for Saturday the 21st now. Sorry for the delays. Hoping it arrives in time.

Dear @Wahad,
Your secret Santa regrets to say that part of your gift will be late due to delays from a merchant - probably until shortly after Christmas. The rest of your gifts are on their way!
Hi Santa! Have you any ETA on the "regular" timed gifts? I haven't seen anything show up yet, but maybe I'm just being impatient.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Hi Santa! Have you any ETA on the "regular" timed gifts? I haven't seen anything show up yet, but maybe I'm just being impatient.
Hi Wahad,

Your package, all together, is expected to arrive on Dec. 23rd. Sorry for the late info, but everything that could go wrong went wrong when I was getting this out to you. But it’s all good now!

A doom weasel will be providing you with a tracking number shortly.

Hey @jwhouk these shirts are REALLY soft. Like, indecently so.
Is that an AZ thing or is the place you got them just in the habit of using ridiculously soft shirts?

--Patrick