Senate Republicans get called on their bluff re: congress being on the public option

• Thread starter Steven Soderburgin
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Soderburgin

lol

Democrats took on a pair of Republican senators Friday, signing on to an amendment that would make lawmakers join the public option.

On Thursday, thinking Democratic senators would balk at the idea, Sens. David Vitter (R-La.) and Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) introduced the gimmick health-care amendment.

\"The idea, broad-brush, is that whatever government option is in the bill, every senator and every representative should be enrolled in it,\" Vitter told The Hill. \"No other possibilities, no other choices.\"

\"It's called leadership,\" Coburn said. \"If it's good enough for everybody else, we ought to be leading by example.\"

But Democrats called their bluff, and the Republicans wouldn't allow it. When Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) tried to become a co-sponsor of the amendment, he got the cold shoulder.

\"They've not said yes to allow me to be a co-sponsor,\" Brown told The Hill on Thursday. \"I've called their office four times. I'm proud of the public option, I think it would be great and we ought to join it and show the country how good it is. I think my interest may be more genuine than theirs, but I'd like to work with them if they'll let me. If they just want to score partisan points, I still want to work with them.\"

So Brown, joined by Sens. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Barbara A. Mikulski (D-Md.), and Al Franken (D-Minn.), forced his way onto the amendment with a unanimous consent vote.
Vitter: "Hey, if the public option is so great, let's put an amendment forcing the house and senate to use it, heh. I mean, we should lead by example if it is such a great plan afterall?" :smug:

Colburn: *snortgigglechucke* "YEAH, that's alright with you guys right? lol"

Brown: "Sure, i'll co-sign"

Vitter and Colburn: "HA SEE THEY REF- wait, what?"

Brown: "I think it's a good idea."

Vitter and Colburn: :(

C

Cuyval Dar

Senate Republicans get called on their bluff re: congress being on the public opt

You do realize that that has no real bearing on the main issue, right?
Oh, sorry. I'll let you get on with your little chuckle at the expense of the Republicans, who actually did something that should have been done years ago.

It just goes to show how desperate the Democrats are. Under any other circumstances, they never would have agreed to give up their luxuriant health plans.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Senate Republicans get called on their bluff re: congress being on the public opt

You do realize that that has no real bearing on the main issue, right?
I just think that it's hilarious that the Republicans are treating this like a fucking game and the Democrats are throwing it in their faces.
Oh, sorry. I'll let you get on with your little chuckle at the expense of the Republicans, who actually did something that should have been done years ago.
Make a proposal they had no intention of supporting?
It just goes to show how desperate the Democrats are. Under any other circumstances, they never would have agreed to give up their luxuriant health plans.
What are the special circumstances right now that change things? I really don't understand what you are getting at.

C

Cuyval Dar

The Republicans make an amendment to a bill they have no intention of allowing to pass. Said amendment is about giving politicians the same treatment as the general public. I fail to see why this was a bluff. It isn't humorous at all.

The Republicans make an amendment to a bill they have no intention of allowing to pass. Said amendment is about giving politicians the same treatment as the general public. I fail to see why this was a bluff. It isn't humorous at all.
It was a bluff. It was an attempt to make Senate and House Democrats look like hypocrites by getting to say they wouldn't want the public option.

You're right, it isn't humorous. It's fucking pathetic that Democrats had play into this stupid stunt because Republicans have no interest in making a bill to improve healthcare.

Besides, it isn't up to Republicans to let it pass or not. That's what sucks about being a minority party who has no ideas beyond "tax cuts" and "smaller guvment hur hur".

C

Cuyval Dar

It's even worse for me not even having a party that truely represents my ideology.

R

RealBigNuke

It's even worse for me not even having a party that truely represents my ideology.
I'm quite lucky that my political affiliation is represented, at least in the media...

Cylon Sympathizer

Also, what is this, the 2nd century Roman senate? Why can't people go about trying to argue bills without infantile gestures and pathos like this.

Which, of course, is inevitable in a two party system. There's a lot of things that democrats do that really burn me up. In far too many ways these two groups are two sides of the same coin. One group just happens to do things I agree with more often.

Also, what is this, the 2nd century Roman senate? Why can't people go about trying to argue bills without infantile gestures and pathos like this.
Clearly you are not well versed in American lawmaking. This was mild.

Clearly you are not well versed in American lawmaking. This was mild.[/QUOTE]
"By gummit, we haven't even begun to act like infants!" -Some childish Senator

The most entertaining reality show is on C-Span.

W

WolfOfOdin

In class we once went through a series of laws that were -clearly- devised for no better purpose but to spite other senators and congressmen/women. It was equally amusing and highly disturbing to know that with the proper language, pettiness can be codified into law

C

Chibibar

I think the republican was trying to insert this "amendment" and hoping congress will kill it (being democratic majority) thus giving fuel to the republican going "See!! see!!! even your senators will not take on public option, why should YOU (the citizen) take it" but of course it back fire on them when the senators DID join in on it.

Silly political games, why deal with problems when instead you can be wasting time making each other look bad?

Silly political games, why deal with problems when instead you can be wasting time making each other look bad?
You forgot circulating a memo that would outline how they plan to obstruct the advancement of healthcare reform.

Classy!

Oh Mitch, you old rascal! Don't you know that when people pay attention to what you say, you have to be at least SOMEWHAT consistent?

What do the press releases say? Cutting and expanding are positives and negatives, taking or adding to an existing program. It could be he feels its fine where it is. *shrug*

Which, of course, is inevitable in a two party system. There's a lot of things that democrats do that really burn me up. In far too many ways these two groups are two sides of the same coin. One group just happens to do things I agree with more often.[/QUOTE]
Becuase its always good.

Which, of course, is inevitable in a two party system. There's a lot of things that democrats do that really burn me up. In far too many ways these two groups are two sides of the same coin. One group just happens to do things I agree with more often.[/quote]
Becuase its always good.

[/QUOTE]
Awww, isn't that cute! blotsfan learned how to copy/paste!

If you don't want people posting a great comic making fun of cliche opinions, don't spout a cliche opinion.

If you don't want people posting a great comic making fun of cliche opinions, don't spout a cliche opinion.
You posted a comic from the internet because you can't form your own opinion. I have a hard time being concerned what you think.

Senate Republicans say the healthcare bill is too big. Wait, that was two months ago. Now they say it is .

L

Le Quack

Yeah, until all these old republicans die, nobody is going to be happy.

I'm a democrat, but I would be much happier with less batshit fucking stupid republican senators and house reps. Meaning either no more republicans, or they stop acting batshit fucking stupid.

Oh, and I said this because they are acting way more (as a whole) infantile than the democrats have.

I'm a democrat, but I would be much happier with less batshit fucking stupid republican senators and house reps. Meaning either no more republicans, or they stop acting batshit fucking stupid.

Oh, and I said this because they are acting way more (as a whole) infantile than the democrats have.
excuse me while I borrow a page from Shannow.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/QUOTE]
I don't know what you're laughing at. Those assholes represent you too. Though I'm sure they have better things to do than read 1,000 pages of healthcare reform. Like go to Uganda and push for anti-gay legislation there.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/QUOTE]
I don't know what you're laughing at. Those assholes represent you too. Though I'm sure they have better things to do than read 1,000 pages of healthcare reform. Like go to Uganda and push for anti-gay legislation there.[/QUOTE]

That's a bold face lie. My asshole representative (aren't they all) is a Democrat. My Senators are a wash.

The laughter comes from Le Quacks hilarious attempt to to claim objectivity by starting his second sentence with "I'm a Democrat, but..." and then proceeding to wish that all Republicans either leave Congress or become Liberals. He thinks that? really? Well no shit Sherlock. Color me surprised.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/quote]
I don't know what you're laughing at. Those assholes represent you too. Though I'm sure they have better things to do than read 1,000 pages of healthcare reform. Like go to Uganda and push for anti-gay legislation there.[/quote]

That's a bold face lie. My asshole representative (aren't they all) is a Democrat. My Senators are a wash.

The laughter comes from Le Quacks hilarious attempt to to claim objectivity by starting his second sentence with "I'm a Democrat, but..." and then proceeding to wish that all Republicans either leave Congress or become Liberals. He thinks that? really? Well no shit Sherlock. Color me surprised.[/QUOTE]
I bolded the differences in what he said and what you said. So you're saying they can't be Republican without acting batshit stupid?

Well Kris, the fact is even if they stop acting "bat-shit" insane (and I would argue that, in this case, like most, it certainly is the pot calling the kettle etc) and start acting like conservatives those on the other side will still consider it insane since, and wait for this, it's a big shock, they still won't agree on issues.
But you know that.:p

Dave

Staff member

Well Kris, the fact is even if they stop acting "bat-shit" insane (and I would argue that, in this case, like most, it certainly is the pot calling the kettle etc) and start acting like conservatives those on the other side will still consider it insane since, and wait for this, it's a big shock, they still won't agree on issues.
Stop being bat-shit insane, Espy.

Stop being bat-shit insane, Espy.[/QUOTE]

You know what's bat-shit insane Dave? Huh? Huh? This health care bill! It's too long and too short and it covers too many not enough people! Plus it costs way to much but not enough! Which brings me to our deficit! We are all responsible for this deficit we elected some guy who made it bigger. We all did! And I'm pretty sure I'm not to blame. Who is? Someone else. That's who.

Now who's crazy????

Stop being bat-shit insane, Espy.[/quote]

You know what's bat-shit insane Dave? Huh? Huh? This health care bill! It's too long and too short and it covers too many not enough people! Plus it costs way to much but not enough! Which brings me to our deficit! We are all responsible for this deficit we elected some guy who made it bigger. We all did! And I'm pretty sure I'm not to blame. Who is? Someone else. That's who.

Now who's crazy????[/quote]
Somewhere in there it stopped being about healthcare.

I agree that some people would still complain about the other side being crazy. That's just politics. I disagree on the point of all things being equal. You can have crazy on two sides in this without them being EQUALLY crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.