Sending hard drives in the mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my husband was packing up for this deployment he planned on taking a portable hard drive and two spare internal hard drives for his laptop since they have movies on them. In the rush to get everything packed the drives were misplaced in our house. After just over 3 months I have finally found them! Do I need to get any special packing so they don't get screwed up in transit, like a shielding bag?

Impact/jostling/knocking them together is far more dangerous than pretty much anything else (aside from moisture). You should pack them in anti-static bags (they do have electronics on them, after all), but G's and H2O's are probably gonna be their worst enemies during shipping.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Put it in a static bag, then put that in bubble wrap all the way around, then put that in styro-packed box. Best you can hope for, I think.

If you have the original box the drives came in, so much the better.

No, I don't have the original boxes. I also have a neoprene armband for his iPod which is where they are sitting at the moment (that was how he packed them up to put in his sea bag). My plan at the moment is to find static bags around our house (I know we have them some where), then wrap them back up in the armband, wrap that in bubble wrap and put it all in it's own smaller box within the package I'm sending.

Status
Not open for further replies.