Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Alright peoples, you've all expressed some interest in setting up a D&D game, so here's the official thread for it.

So far, the only one to offer to DM is Shawnacy.

So unless he wants to take over the planning, I'm organizing it for now.

All I need from you guys right now is when you can play.

List the times you'd be available to play for an extended period of time. Please list your time in Central time to make this easier. If you can't do that at least tell me what time zone you're in.

Example:

Me:
Monday-Saturday: Anytime (Preferably after noon)
Sunday: (Anytime after 5:30)

As you can see, my schedule is free as a bird.

We will initially pick who will play by whose times match up the best. If we have more than 5-6 players who can play at the same time, Shawnacy (or whoever decides to DM) can opt to allow more in. If not, then we'll do what Dave did and pull names out of an [strike:2lszirt2]ass[/strike:2lszirt2] hat.

Additional Info:

For those who end up playing - You will need:

GameTable - http://sourceforge.net/projects/gametable

Ventrilo - http://www.ventrilo.com/

Microphone (Remember, press Ctrl to talk!)

Headphones (Shawnacy has stated that he hates echo. Get 'em!)

Not Necessary, but EXTREMELY HELPFUL: D&D Character Builder - http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?fil ... DDI_CB.exe
* Note: The Character Builder's demo only allows for creation of characters up to level 3, and does not include some of the more recent updates. Depending on a certain person's generosity, you may have access to it. (The full version requires a DDI subscription)

DM-yet-to-be-named-possibly-Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

As long as it's not as the same time as Dave's game, I'm sure we can use the Halforum Vent server. :)

My availability is as follows:

Weekdays: Monday, Wednesday-Friday (evenings work best)
Weekends: Evenings

Tuesday night is my IRL D&D game. Weekday nights are probably the best option for me, but I may have to finagle some stuff at work, since it's the summer semester and I work part-time a lot, I'll have to edit my availability at work. Like, if we decide to play Thursday nights, I'll need to ask Thursday nights off - no problem, but it might take a week or two to go into effect.

I work all weekends from 9-5. No way around it, been doing it for almost 7 years. :)

So yeah, in short - Weekdays offer maximum flexibility for me, weekends are a little tougher but not impossible.

My availabilities are during the evenings, every day except Saturdays. However, I'd rather not play more than 1-2 times a week. Sundays would be best. As stated in the other thread, I haven't played table top for many years now and have a limited knowledge of 4.0 but I'd be willing to learn, if given the chance to. After 1-2 nights I should be up to speed.

SeriousJay said:
My availabilities are during the evenings, every day except Saturdays. However, I'd rather not play more than 1-2 times a week. Sundays would be best. As stated in the other thread, I haven't played table top for many years now and have a limited knowledge of 4.0 but I'd be willing to learn, if given the chance to. After 1-2 nights I should be up to speed.
All of my knowledge of 4e, besides reading over the source material briefly, comes from the Penny Arcade/PVP Dungeons and Dragons podcasts. If you haven't listened to them yet, it might help you get a gist of combat/skill mechanics.

If I'm going to play, or even DM for that matter, it's going to have to be sometime between Monday and Friday evenings. Saturdays and Sundays just don't work for me because of work.
I can start probably any time after 3-4pm PST.

I'd love to play. I haven't done so in a long time, and the only RPG books I have are Star Wars. Would I be too much of a burden?

I am free almost every week night Mon - Thurs after 5:30. I can't play on Fri-Sun, though.

C

Catafish

I am always available Monday and Wednesday after about 5 CDT

I am available in the evening most other days but its spotty because I have to work some nights.

mon-fri: anytime after 4.

sat/sun: anytime.

schedule? pff.

Weekends are good. Weeknights are fine after 6:30 p.m. Eastern for myself and my gal to play except for Monday.

doomdragon6

Staff member

Wow, these schedules are working out better than I thought they might. I'll give you guys some more time to post (er, let others post) and after I'm done with my final Final (see wut I did thar?) I'll work up a table or something to see what will work best with the most people.

Early Tuesday, Wednesday Friday mornings 4:00am till 10:00am
Friday night till Saturday Morning 10:00pm till 10:00 am
Saturday night till Sunday Morning 10:00pm till 10:00am

Ok I think thats converted correctly.My timezone makes my schedule all kinds of crazy.
You guys in Central Time are running Daylight savings arn't you? Thats what the internet said anyway.

Though thinking about it, it would be nice to still have Friday Nights off. Why waste date night gaming?

I guess since we haven't had anyone volunteer to DM I'll take the reins.
1st Level characters. I'm allowing PHB, PHB2, and Martial and Arcane Power books. PC Monster races listed in the back of the Monster Manual 1 are okay to use. Just be aware that this D&D world will be pretty close to the default campaign setting "Beacon of Light" where 90% of the world is savage and monster ridden. So monster races may not be seen favorably.

We still need to decide on what day to have it on. As mentioned I need to avoid having it on Friday-Sunday.
So either Monday-Thursday and any time after 4pm PST (7pm EST) would be perfect.
I understand that some people will need to cancel showing up for a game from time-to-time, but please only agree to play if you can make a committment to show up for the majority of the games.

doomdragon6

Staff member

Awesome. I'm going to gather up a list of people who've listed their schedules and what times the most of those people can play.

I'll post it shortly.

doomdragon6

Staff member

Alright, after looking at people's schedules, here's what I've managed to come up with:

Every single one of us (Shawnacy, Gusto, Gurpel, Serious Jay, drawn_inward, Catafish, escushion and his fiance`, and me) can play on Wednesday and Thursday nights, starting at about 6 pm Central. (Go do your own calculations. But unless you lied to me, this fits within your timeframes.)

Unfortunately, gargoyle_eva, your time slots don't really work with any of ours. :(

So, excluding the DM, that's 8 people.

Shawnacy, it's up to you now: We can play with all 8, or you can opt to drop 2. We can draw random names or something if you want. I'm a bit biased, but I'm gonna go ahead and say since I set this whole thing up I'm in by default. >_>

Notes:
Dropping Gusto frees up Tuesday nights, same time.
Dropping Escushion and his fiance` frees up Monday nights, same time.

Not trying to be a dick, just saying that those two(/three?) are what keeps everyone from being free Mondays and Tuesdays.

So do we want to try 8 people (1-2 of which will probably be absent each week-- it happens) or would you like to select names, Shawn?

PEOPLE: GO CALCULATE WHAT TIME 6:00 PM CENTRAL IS FOR YOU, AND MAKE SURE IT FITS YOUR SCHEDULE. IF NOT, NOTE IT HERE. I say this because some of you said "evenings" and I have -no- idea when "evening" starts, so I estimated 5pm-ish.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

By system, you mean how to play?

I know a bit, as I've been in Dave's game. I think most of the posters here are new to 4E, but I'll let them speak for themselves. As long as you have the books (*coughPMmecough*), it takes no time at all to learn the gyst of the game, as long as our DM is patient with us. :3 (You are patient, right Shawny? ^_^;)

Edit: For those who end up playing - You will need:

GameTable - http://sourceforge.net/projects/gametable

Ventrilo - http://www.ventrilo.com/

Microphone (Remember, press Ctrl to talk!)

Headphones (Shawnacy has stated that he hates echo. Get 'em!)

Not Necessary, but EXTREMELY HELPFUL: D&D Character Builder - http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?fil ... DDI_CB.exe
* Note: The Character Builder's demo only allows for creation of characters up to level 3, and does not include some of the more recent updates. Depending on a certain person's generosity, you may have access to it. (The full version requires a DDI subscription)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Making a character isn't difficult. But we do have more players than I want to put up with. Sadly I think 6 is more than I can really handle, but I'd rather stick with that than tell more than 2 people they need to sit out.

Personally I don't like the idea of telling who can and who can't join us. If we have two people willing to sit out that would be the best way to do it. If I just pick out of a hat there is a chance that Escushion or his girlfriend might make the cut but the other won't.

I'm the DM. I play all the monsters. I don't want to be the monster in real life who cuts people from the game too.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Thinking of my schedule in advance, I think Thursday nights would be the best in the short term.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Damn you evil americans and your time zone.A curse on both your characters.

It's all good doomdragon, I knew I was shit outta luck trying to match schedule's but thought I'd give it a chance anyway.

But if anyone is reading this and wants to play during my listed times lemme know.We could organise something.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

6pm Central is 7pm EST, and that's no problem for me. I know 4e enough that I have built a character in a it before and have a basic idea of how combat/skills work, but don't know enough to really min/max. The rest is all kinda carryover knowledge from 3.5.

EDIT: I should add that the system I have next to no knowledge of is Gametable, but I can figure that out with a bit of tinkering.

*hopes he doesn't get dropped*

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
EDIT: I should add that the system I have next to no knowledge of is Gametable, but I can figure that out with a bit of tinkering.
Dice menu: You can make dice macros. It is nice for speeding up combat since you don't have to type /roll d20+[whatever bonus] every time you do something

Network: Host or join a game. Whoever is hosting have a TCP/UDP port open.

Pogs: What represents characters and monsters. Left click on them to change rotation, face size, name, and give attributes. Name and attributes are visible when first put up until you mouse over, and then you mouse over to see them again.

You can make your own pogs, put them into the pog folder, and then bring them into the game. Nice for spell effects that last multiple rounds.

On the map, it's just drag and drop. If you hold control, it doesn't make pogs snap to grid. Be aware of that if you talk while moving pogs.

If you have to roll something multiple times in short succession and you don't have a macro set up, you can press up and it'll put the command for the dice roll back in the chat bar.

Also, it will sometimes feel the dice roller is against you. This is completely normal.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Allen said:
Gusto said:
Dice menu: You can make dice macros. It is nice for speeding up combat since you don't have to type /roll d20+[whatever bonus] every time you do something

Network: Host or join a game. Whoever is hosting have a TCP/UDP port open.

Pogs: What represents characters and monsters. Left click on them to change rotation, face size, name, and give attributes. Name and attributes are visible when first put up until you mouse over, and then you mouse over to see them again.

You can make your own pogs, put them into the pog folder, and then bring them into the game. Nice for spell effects that last multiple rounds.

On the map, it's just drag and drop. If you hold control, it doesn't make pogs snap to grid. Be aware of that if you talk while moving pogs.

If you have to roll something multiple times in short succession and you don't have a macro set up, you can press up and it'll put the command for the dice roll back in the chat bar.

Also, it will sometimes feel the dice roller is against you. This is completely normal.
Thanks Allen!

Couple things:

1) HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT MY PUSH TO TALK BUTTON IS RIGHT CONTROL :Leyla:

2) As long as the dice roller can roll higher than 8 on a d20, I'll be better off than IRL.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
2) As long as the dice roller can roll higher than 8 on a d20, I'll be better off than IRL.
Don't count on it. (Sancasshole was rigging my rolls. I got ONE hit in. ONE. In all of TWO encounters. :explode: )

PEOPLE: GO CALCULATE WHAT TIME 6:00 PM CENTRAL IS FOR YOU, AND MAKE SURE IT FITS YOUR SCHEDULE. IF NOT, NOTE IT HERE. I say this because some of you said "evenings" and I have -no- idea when "evening" starts, so I estimated 5pm-ish. (Weds and Thurs)
Eastern that would be 7PM my time, this is perfect for me. Both days are fine.

I already got Ventrilo, have a microphone/headphone, I just installed Gametable and I'll start trying to catch up with the 4.0 rules, I'm intrigued now. :aaahhh:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Wahad said:
Gusto said:
Don't count on it. (Sancasshole was rigging my rolls. I got ONE hit in. ONE. In all of TWO encounters. :explode: )
I think the only damage I got in was the guaranteed start of turn damage from Flaming Sphere.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Not yet- we're still waiting to see who gets in. Right now we're waiting for two people to voluntarily drop, but I feel that's unlikely, so we may have to randomize it somehow.

However, if you want to go ahead and start making characters, I don't see any reason not to. The DDI Character Builder will keep your character in line and do a lot of calculations for you, including generating your Power Cards, which are wonderful.

I'm thinking I want to go Wizard for this game, but I'm a Wizard in the other one and I'd hate to feel like I'm doing the same stuff. I guess I could be a different kind of Wizard, but golly I love blasting things to shit with fire.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Ya, I've been fooling around with the character builder and it's incredible. I wish I had this when I was playing D&D religiously before many years ago. :)

Now that I got into it, I really would like to avoid being dropped and I'm fine on taking on a more "support" character. Something along the lines of a cleric is where I'm heading for but once again, until the final group is done, I'll wait before making any decision. I'll still create a few mock characters though. :) Anyone willing to look over my character sheet when I'm done? I'd appreciate a second opinion.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Perhaps try a warlock or sorcerer, doom.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I also have character builder. Is there a way to transfer characters between copies? I'll need a copy of everyone's sheet in some form or another anyway.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
I also have character builder. Is there a way to transfer characters between copies? I'll need a copy of everyone's sheet in some form or another anyway.
People can send the file through. I believe the pm system here accepts the files as attachments.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Alright.
Official game time will be:
THURSDAYS at 6PM Central (4pm PST, 5pm MTN, and 7pm EST) Sorry European players... I have no idea what that calculates to.
Typical game length will probably be about 4 hours.
Confirm below this post if you can make the game. If we have more than 6 players we will have to do a drawing for sub spots.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Confirmed. :)

I might have to go to text only chat as to not disturb anyone after 11pm, but [I hope] that's not a big deal.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Confirmed.

7 central seems kinda late, 'specially for people in EST, but if that's what we're going with I'm fine with it. (Just noting that Dave's game runs 5 hours and we rarely get much more than an enounter in.)

Status
Not open for further replies.