Shegokigo's Craigslist Scam Email of the Day: 07/06/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Johnson

JOB AVAILABLE IN COCA COLA COMPANY (VERY URGENT)?

I've never seen this scam before. I can't really even tell what they're trying to get from you. Obviously you don't want to give them the info you're asking for, but what are these types of scams about?

I kept thinking they would do the usual "give us your address, etc, and your bank with bank account number so we can put your commission in there".

It doesn't help that the grammar is so poor that I can't parse out a few of the sentences.

Joe,

In this scam, the company sends you an overseas check.You cash it, skim off 10% as a processing fee, and send them back the remainder.

Oftentimes, about 30 days later, your bank says "whoops! that check was forged" and takes 100% of the money from your bank account. Basically, the crooks are using delays in the banking system to part you from your money.

Me and my wife have been apartment/condo scouting on CL and TONS of the listings are fakes with very similar emails you get back asking for your info and telling you they can't show you the house cuz they are "out of the country, but feel free to drive by!"
LOL

J

Joe Johnson

Tinwhistler said:
Joe,

In this scam, the company sends you an overseas check.You cash it, skim off 10% as a processing fee, and send them back the remainder.

Oftentimes, about 30 days later, your bank says "whoops! that check was forged" and takes 100% of the money from your bank account. Basically, the crooks are using delays in the banking system to part you from your money.
Got it. That makes sense.

Joe Johnson said:
Tinwhistler said:
Joe,

Got it. That makes sense.
It's particularly nasty because you may be charged with passing a forged check even if you didn't know it was forged. This may mean jail, felony, etc for you. I believe that prosecutors are rather lenient and often drop cases that are obvious fraud, but if the bank can't recover all the money it lost and presses the issue, then the victim may still be charged.

Rarely is the person who created the forgery in the first place caught, nevermind charged.

It's bad business.

-Adam

I think seperating fools from their money is a worthy endeavor. Am I a bad person? :tongue:

Since we're on the topic of liquid candy, I loved mixing spiced rum w/vanilla coke.

BlackCrossCrusader said:
I think seperating fools from their money is a worthy endeavor. Am I a bad person? :tongue:

Since we're on the topic of liquid candy, I loved mixing spiced rum w/vanilla coke.
Sugarfree Red Bull and Vodka is the only way to drink!

Status
Not open for further replies.