Silent Bob is, well, fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

On anything larger than a 727, weight ratios are of limited factor. If the guy was flying a puddlejumper turboprop, yeah that might be a safety issue... but a full sized passenger jet just means they use more fuel.
personally I worry more about the CARRY ON since airlines limit 1 luggage or less (via charging per luggage) I had help one day to put on the overhead bin. I can usually life 50-70lbs bag no problem, but this one was HEAVY. If they are worry about a SINGLE overweight person, the airline should worry about the 20+ overweight carry on that are store in the overhead bin.[/QUOTE]

It's too difficult to tell how heavy a bag is just by looking at it. A fat person, though, is pretty easy to spot. Or hide behind.[/QUOTE]

True, but if the airline is going behind "it weight more thus cost more fuel" then airlines should weight ALL carry on and make sure it is "within" limit" if it is overweight (person or bags) then you charge more accordingly.

Last time I flew to Orlando, I saw people having 2-3 carry on and they are pack to the bring (bulging) and some of them are pretty heavy (from the look people struggling to get into the overhead bin) 2-3 that weight around 50 lbs (easy) that is equal to a person. That is one extra ticket.

Can someone link to something that indicates that he had the armrest down, and that there was space between him and the passenger(s) to either side of him?

The statement I read gave me the impression that the problem was likely that they couldn't re-seat him with space around him without inconveniencing non-standby passengers, and that the passengers next to him were forced to share their seat with him.

Keep in mind that he's aware of the airline policies, and usually buys extra space, but it was this one time that he decided to try to fly standby and fly without two adjacent seats that he had a problem he knew he would have if he booked in advance.

Can someone link to something that indicates that he had the armrest down, and that there was space between him and the passenger(s) to either side of him?

The statement I read gave me the impression that the problem was likely that they couldn't re-seat him with space around him without inconveniencing non-standby passengers, and that the passengers next to him were forced to share their seat with him.

Keep in mind that he's aware of the airline policies, and usually buys extra space, but it was this one time that he decided to try to fly standby and fly without two adjacent seats that he had a problem he knew he would have if he booked in advance.
Actually, he had purchased an entire row of seats for that plane, they muffed up and just sent him in with only one seat remaining. Then kicked him off.

And yeah, on the subject of plane comfort. I am about 6'4" and around 220 pounds. I am not comfortable in anything below business class, ever. Fuck how tiny airplane seats are.

Smith's full response, in video form. There's a little over 20 short clips, which I don't understand why he did it in that format, but anyway. Interesting side to the story, given that he had no problem putting the arm rests down in his seat.

southwest dropped the ball.. hard... with all their running around trying to defend themselves. The fact is Smith is well withing THEIR established guidelines for "overweight passengers" but they still threw him out. It's a mistake they could have just apologized for, promised they'd never do again, and move on. Instead they tried to shift blame to everyone but themselves and even outright LIED and this whole thing escalated to a point well beyond necessary.

C

Chibibar

southwest dropped the ball.. hard... with all their running around trying to defend themselves. The fact is Smith is well withing THEIR established guidelines for "overweight passengers" but they still threw him out. It's a mistake they could have just apologized for, promised they'd never do again, and move on. Instead they tried to shift blame to everyone but themselves and even outright LIED and this whole thing escalated to a point well beyond necessary.
I think that is the problem of our current society. People don't want to take OWNERSHIP of the blame. They (society in general) are too quick to blame everyone else.

It is video game faults
It is fast food faults
It is X company fault
It is Y book fault
it is Z games fault.

Kevin Smith has "fat guy with a skinny face" syndrome.

It's hard to find pictures of his actual waist, and his face, honestly, doesn't look that fat. But, he's a pretty big guy these days.

yeah, that trench coat looks so much loser on him... no.

He may have lost 20lbs. but when you get that size it is hard to tell. I know.

look at his neck for fuck's sake!

And it's still not fat enough to need a belt extender, nor to not being able to fit with both armrests down... so what are you trying to say, that he DESERVED to be kicked out of the plane even though he is well within the airline regulations for overweight passengers? Why?

I am likely in the same weight category, but I look to be about 4 inches taller than he is, I worry about fitting into cramped seats. He should have kept his original flight plans, and not wasted those 2 tickets.

It is still up to the captain's discretion/capriciousness as to whether he gets to stay on the plane.

Have you not read ANYTHING he's spoken/video'd/written about this? He does NOT usually buy two tickets, and when he does it's not because he doesn't feel comfortable in one, it's because he doesn't want to sit next to a stranger. I'm a pretty sociable person, but even I can't stand sitting next to someone I don't know for hours at a time... can't even imagine what it would be for someone who gets recognized frequently like him.

He fits in one seat, both armrests down, no seatbelt extender needed, no overlap onto the other seats. Well within airline guidelines. He knew that so much that he was willing to give up the extra seat he had bought just to be able to get home earlier. He was still publicly ejected and called fat infront of 200+ passengers. For no reason whatsoever since he made it a point to buy only one seat on the next flight and use that comfortably, without anyone telling him he was too fat. You can see the picture he uploaded, he's not halfway onto the other seat.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Also... the captain never crossed paths with him, they never saw each other. The flight attendant used the "captain's orders" excuse even though the Captain has been said to not having even seen Smith's weight. This was all posted in Southwestern's blog later.

I quit reading everything about this after the first day. The stories seem to have changed several times since the first interviews. I'll read some more important news than some one getting kicked from a plane.

I quit reading everything about this after the first day.
^^^ This. Just happened to run across a picture today. That picture certainly appears to put him within the "fat guy" policies of airlines. He seems to fit in that chair, but is oozing out of the sides of it a bit.

I don't know anything about seat-belt extenders, or how comfortably he fit on the later flight. I know the picture he tweeted only really shows his face. If he really wanted to make a point, he should've taken a picture of his ass in the chair. I don't know exactly how cramped he actually was on the flight. We don't have any real evidence to back up anything ANYONE has said on either side.

And honestly, I personally don't really care if he barely fit within the fat guy rules, was breaking the fat guy rules, or was well within the fat guy rules.

The reason I posted those pics is that I was totally surprised at how big he is, since he's usually good at covering up his body, and, as I said before, he's blessed with a skinny-looking face. Most pictures taken of him are very flattering.

Pictures like the one below are pretty hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.