[Rant] Site update slowing Halforums down for 1/2 and hour?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent, now when I don't have any work to get done, I can be even more up to date on what's going on around here.

Dave

Staff member
-heh- The other changes were:

• A User Map that will show (without user names or IP addresses) where in the world people are connected from. This will be live as soon as I do a few tweaks to it.
  • An addon that works on signatures. Basically what it does is shows the first instance of a user's signature in a thread but that's it. So if you post more than once in a thread it'll only show your signature on your first post.
  • A Library. This one will be hidden until I get it fully configured and explored, but if I'm reading it right it will allow us to make a subforum where people could post things like articles and chapters. It's like the Blog but will be more suited for things like chapter stories or even (dare I say it?!?) webcomics. So will it be replacing a front page? Who knows? I just got this today so I've not explored anything. Plus, Ame and Zappit have already put work into the front page so I'm not going to step on their toes or rip anything out from under them.
  • The Spy. You have already seen that.
There will be a few more things coming soon. More additions to Conversations, an overhaul of the Post-It addon (which has been abandoned by the author) and other cool stuff.
Added at: 11:56
I do have to find a way to move the Spy button to the other side of the "What's New". That bugs me.

Dave

Staff member
Is it slowing you down or are you joking? It's really the one thing I worried about when getting it.

• An addon that works on signatures. Basically what it does is shows the first instance of a user's signature in a thread but that's it. So if you post more than once in a thread it'll only show your signature on your first post.
Wow, I might actually turn signatures back on if that's the case.

I also agree on the spy link placement. I like being able to click the rightmost link and know it's "What's new?" without having to actually read it.

Dave

Staff member
Well, I figured out how to move it to the left of the What's New but I can't seem to be able to get rid of it on the right. The author has some stuff hard coded and it's hard as fuck to locate it.

Dave

Staff member
I noticed that as well. I don't think so because it does a time range. So if you leave and come back soonish it loads the same things. However, if you come back to it after a time it's a great thing. I dislike that as well, Covar.

eh, figured it was worth asking. I'll just Ctrl-Click the links, and it should satisfy my need for real-time consumption.

-heh- The other changes were:
THANK YOU :thumbsup:

Dave

Staff member
Oh, and the User Map is now working. Members->User Map. Note that this does NOT pull up anyone's addresses, nor does it show names or IP addresses. It's just mostly for fun.

Dave

Staff member
Hmm. Let me turn it off and look this stuff up before I do anything. I checked to make sure it wasn't close and in the cases of the proxies I tested with it wasn't.
Added at: 15:59
Turned off pending the hiding of people not wishing to be seen.

Dammit, you turned it off JUST as I was about to check it out, like, within seconds.

I get the privacy thing, though.

It's off by 30 miles for me. However it does show moderators differently, and registered users differently. There are only 3 registered user pins in texas, for instance, and one might be able to infer something about Shego's location if one wanted to.

There are few moderators, and they show up as red pins, so they're going to have a hard time hiding.

I like the idea, but you should at minimum make all the pins the same color so you can't tell registered from unregistered or from moderators.

Dammit, you turned it off JUST as I was about to check it out, like, within seconds.

I get the privacy thing, though.

It had you located somewhere near Queretaro (sp?), I think.

For me, it was off, but closer than makes me entirely comfortable. Like, single digit mileage.

Queretaro is exactly right. I don't get why you guys would be creeped out, though... even a mile of difference is big enough to avoid being murdered... what exactly are you people afraid of? Do you have vast illegal weed fields or something? Not criticizing, just actually curious.

But WHY? What are those strangers and quasi-strangers going to do with that information? Anyone outside your house when you leave/enter has a much better idea of where you live, do you avoid those too? Again, not judging or anything, but it's a thought process that's really alien to me and I'm trying to understand the fear/weirdness here.

I mean, consider this is coming from someone that uses his actual last name as his online handle pretty much EVERYWHERE. I post my location and stuff on twitter with something like 1200 followers and shit, so I might be on the other extreme of the spectrum here.

Status
Not open for further replies.