Export thread

So... what's up with this Windows 10 thing?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Heard today that they're giving away free upgrades for a year to owners of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. Are you guys going to go for it immediately, or will you wait and see first? Are there any clear advantages to Windows 10 that are known for sure at this point?

I use Windows 7 and I'm pretty happy with it, while I think Windows 8 is a convoluted mess. I'm not eager to change my OS unless Windows 10 offers something dramatically better.

Cog

Cog

I use windows 8 from the beginning because you were able to upgrade a pirated copy of windows 7 to a legal copy of windows 8. I still use windows 7 at work and I don't see any difference. Maybe it's because I'm one of those people who don't use the start menu or maybe it's because I don't do much work at home. I will upgrade to windows 10 as soon as possible, just to see what happens.

Jay

Jay

I'd like to but I want to see 10 first.

Dave

Dave

You can do this for up to a year. So I'm going to wait a few months and let them work out some kinks.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Curious but cautious. I still haven't installed my upgrade to 7 yet, I like to think long-term, and I want to know how easy it is to re-install 10 later. I will not be at all happy if they somehow prohibit W10 from being able to install once W11 comes out.

--Patrick

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I was a very reluctant convert to windows 7. I was still using win 2000 and linux and mostly skipped xp and definately skipped vista only learning enough of them that i had to for work purposes. Now i enhoy 7 when i have to work in windows but still prefer linux. I dont care for 8, had not heard of the release for ten until today, and am wondering where 9 is.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I work in tech support and am the primary admin for our Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop environments at work, so I'll probably be going to it both at work and at home within the first few months so I can support the people who would go to it. The company I work for has over 1000 employees and over 2/3 of them are remote and have to use their own computers.[DOUBLEPOST=1421935352,1421935297][/DOUBLEPOST]
and am wondering where 9 is.
They are skipping 9 and going right to 10.

Eriol

Eriol

They are skipping 9 and going right to 10.
And the supposed reason, which I agree with, us that many installers are done in a "lazy" way and do a text compare and if they see "windows 9" they summer it is "95" or "98" and fail. Going directly to 10 avoids the bad of lazy other programmers.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I won't go out and get it, even if it's a free upgrade. If it comes bundled then I'll give it a whirl. I still haven't used a windows 8 machine. I have an XP machine and a 7 laptop at home. The xp machine is ancient and almost always turned off. The laptop gets minimal use. We usually use our iPad at home b/c it's so much easier/faster than dealing with the laptop. I might get a windows tablet in the future so there's that.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I need a computer upgrade. So I guess I'll wait until 10 drops. I have to support 8 here at work on <10 computers and I hate it greatly.

Eriol

Eriol

I need a computer upgrade. So I guess I'll wait until 10 drops. I have to support 8 here at work on <10 computers and I hate it greatly.
Can you explain the hate please? If it's the start screen thing, then just install the one at classicshell.net and you're basically as good as 7 again. And things like task manager are better. So why has it been so bad?

I just don't get the hate for it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Can you explain the hate please? If it's the start screen thing, then just install the one at classicshell.net and you're basically as good as 7 again. And things like task manager are better. So why has it been so bad?

I just don't get the hate for it.
I don't get to touch it often, so when I have to go fix something that broke, I get to stumble around trying to do in minutes what I can do in seconds.

It does not run an important piece of communications software. So I have to make a work around for that.

There are less than 10 out of 300 pieces of equipment that is running the software. So I really don't get the chance to practice.

I should not have to hack a major software release to make it usable.

Bubble181

Bubble181

So it has nothing to do with Win 8 itself, and more the lack of experience you have with it, and the incompatibility of some software with it? Ah yes.

I'm not a fan of 8, either, mind. 8.1 actually solved most of my gripes (booting to desktop, start menu, turning off more easily) but some bits (the whole damn layout is made for touch screens which makes NO DAMN SENSE for a desktop) continue to be annoying.

I have to say, it improves performance for most games when compared to win 7, and the compatibility modes actually work occasionally, where before they were just window dressing...So I've at least learned to live with 8.1.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah. If you're at 8 and have the ability to get 8.1 (which should be just about everyone), you really should.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yeah. If you're at 8 and have the ability to get 8.1 (which should be just about everyone), you really should.

--Patrick
That boat has sailed.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I have 8.1. There's only a few, infrequent cases where I have to deal with the aero theme. It annoys, but it happens so rarely I don't care that much.

Other than that, it's not too bad. Booting is faster (due to the fact that win 8 basically logs out and sleeps instead of doing a hard shutdown), games run better, and it's stable.

I occasionally boot to a windows XP virtual machine in VMware, but that's because every frigging company I work with has different ways of doing VPN, and some of them (like the government's smart card reader) make system changes that are nearly impossible to reverse--and are incompatible with other VPN setups. So, now, every time I need to VPN for something, I make a new virtual machine for that purpose/company, just to so I don't have to deal with the headaches. Totally nothing related to windows 8 ability or performance

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gonna wait and see if it sucks, first.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think I get it now. Win 7 did not need to go away already. So they put out a generation of crappy computers. Then roll out a good release, to get everybody to jump on the new OS.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think I get it now. Win 7 did not need to go away already. So they put out a generation of crappy computers. Then roll out a good release, to get everybody to jump on the new OS.
That's the real rub. The only real reason to get rid of XP (aside from artificially induced "loss of support") was its 32 bit limitations, particularly on RAM.

With windows 7 being 64 bit, and good enough for everything, I really don't see a reason to "upgrade." Windows 8 was bad, yes, but really, it had no reason to exist at all. And really, at this point, what reason does windows 10 have to exist? Windows 7 is still fine, and I can't imagine what "upgrades" would be worth putting up with them playing 52-pickup with the control panels again.

PatrThom

PatrThom

consumer support [for Win7] ends very soon
It ended Jan13, 10 days ago.
We are now in "extended support" for another 5 years, security patches and the like only, no new features nor enhancements.
MSFT is pushing HARD for everyone to be on 8.1 at a minimum as soon as possible for some reason.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Which is why it's a free upgrade.
Depending on how they juggled shit around, free may not be cheap enough.

Necronic

Necronic

And the supposed reason, which I agree with, us that many installers are done in a "lazy" way and do a text compare and if they see "windows 9" they summer it is "95" or "98" and fail. Going directly to 10 avoids the bad of lazy other programmers.
As someone who is constantly furious when trying to search for stuff related to "Microsoft Access" and seeing the other use of "access" dominate search results" I can't say I'm against this. It's legitimately a problem.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It ended Jan13, 10 days ago.
We are now in "extended support" for another 5 years, security patches and the like only, no new features nor enhancements.
MSFT is pushing HARD for everyone to be on 8.1 at a minimum as soon as possible for some reason.

--Patrick
So at this point, going for a new OS install, Win7 won't even be an option available to me? (Still running XP, need to change that SOON)

PatrThom

PatrThom

it's available on Amazon:
I would like to point out that the Amazon link above goes to the OEM/System Builder version, e.g., the version that is "permanently" locked to the first machine where you install it (because ostensibly it is considered part of the computer). This does not matter if you are never going to reinstall it onto another computer (after an upgrade, when/if the first computer dies, etc). That is the way the licensing structure works with Win7 and earlier, and that is why there is one version that only goes for $100, and another version that looks exactly identical but which instead sells for $250 or so (the "retail" version that can be moved to another computer later).

However...starting with 8, Microsoft's licensing structure has changed, and so now the copy you buy CAN be installed on another computer if you want, so long as you remove it from the first computer when you do so. So you will be able to move your OS from an old computer to a new computer later if you want without having to buy another copy.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I'll switch to 10 as soon as I can. It's feeling a lot like what 7 was to Vista.
I have 8.1 on my laptop with no real complaints. Once you figure out where everything is, it works just fine. The big issue with 8 was that for it to work right ui wise you almost had to have a touchscreen, which I did, so I didn't even have an issue with it. 8.1 solved most of that, and 10 looks to be even better.

PatrThom

PatrThom

ArsTchnica said:
Windows 10 is changing [the old licensing model]. As announced last week, current users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for no cost. Microsoft says that this will be a limited time offer that will run one year from the release of Windows 10 [...] Subsequently, and in some ways even more importantly, those new Windows 10 machines will continue to receive updates "for the lifetime of the device—at no cost." Those paid major version upgrades that Windows has historically had will be going away; once you're on the Windows 10 train, you're on the Windows train, and you'll continue to receive a steady stream of updates and upgrades until your system stops working and you buy or build a new one.
Well. This is interesting.

--Patrick

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

As long as Windows 10 isn't broken in some way that makes it demonstrably worse than 7, I'll be going for that free upgrade. I barely use Windows anymore except as a gaming PC, so if it means ongoing support for something that is more or less as functional as (hopefully more than) 7, I'm good with it seeing as how 7 consumer support is over.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well. This is interesting.

--Patrick
Depends on how they define a "machine" though. Easy enough for phones and tablets, but (especially) desktops get tinkered with. Is it like the old activation limits, new HD, new system; new MB new system; new GFX card, new system...?

Sounds interesting and intriguing, mind you, but I'll be curious to see how they implement it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My guess is it will be tied to the motherboard.

Shakey

Shakey

I've been running 10 on my laptop, and I'm liking it so far. There are a few things that bug me, but hopefully they'll get changed. I'm a big start menu then start typing the name of program you want. How that works is a bit odd, but it works as it would normally.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wait - 10 is OUT?

Shakey

Shakey

Wait - 10 is OUT?
The beta preview. I haven't had any issues so far, it seems pretty stable. The new browser that will replace Explorer isn't in it yet, but probably will be soon.

sellox

sellox

I understand the feeling of wanting to stay in what one is comfortable with, but as technology developes and improves, soon or late everyone will have to upgrade. imho

The beta preview. I haven't had any issues so far, it seems pretty stable. The new browser that will replace Explorer isn't in it yet, but probably will be soon.
Finally they are going to replace Explorer. That's good news.

Shakey

Shakey

Looks like even you filthy pirates may get a free upgrade to a legitimate copy.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ee-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/

GasBandit

GasBandit

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ee-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/
Now that's how you re-establish market dominance.

Also, I smell Windows 11 coming out a year later, with no free upgrade.

Shakey

Shakey

Now that's how you re-establish market dominance.

Also, I smell Windows 11 coming out a year later, with no free upgrade.
What they're moving to is something like android. You buy it once with a new computer and all future updates and new releases are free. As long as your device meets the minimum requirements.

GasBandit

GasBandit

What they're moving to is something like android. You buy it once with a new computer and all future updates and new releases are free. As long as your device meets the minimum requirements.
Now that you mention it, I remember something about that. Nevermind.

But the universal law still exists - everybody pays for something. If you're not paying for something you get, you're what's actually being sold. They'll monetize this somehow, mark my words.

Shakey

Shakey

Most likely they're doing it to get people on to the new pricing model. They don't want people clinging to their copy of 7 like they did xp.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Now that you mention it, I remember something about that. Nevermind.

But the universal law still exists - everybody pays for something. If you're not paying for something you get, you're what's actually being sold. They'll monetize this somehow, mark my words.
Make Win 10 work well with Windows Phone
Give Win 10 away for free
Try to lure people back to Windows Phone instead of Android
????
Profit.

strawman

strawman

Apps. They are likely betting on being able to profit off a windows app store that they get a 30% cut of all software sales that works on their systems. Just like Apple and Google.

Shakey

Shakey

Aaaaand, looks like you filthy pirates may get a free upgrade, but that doesn't mean that will mean you now have a legit version.

Also, I updated to the latest build. They updated the look of the available WiFi networks window. It is a lot better, but the look seems a bit off compared to the rest of the os. I also really hope they change the look of the folder icons. I hates them.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've seen this movie... six months in, after everyone on earth has switched to Windows 10, the secret protocol will activate, and then we're all doomed.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So I'm looking at an icon in my tray right now to update to Windows 10. Should I? Is it worth it?

EDIT: Never mind, it's just a thing to RESERVE your copy when it comes out July 29.

http://gizmodo.com/why-yes-that-creepy-icon-is-your-free-copy-of-window-1708121347

GasBandit

GasBandit

My recent experience with Lollipop has got me upgrade shy. I intend to wait a little bit to see how the upgrades go for the early adopters.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Has there been any particularly bad news out of the preview builds besides the reasonable level of bugginess that entails?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Has there been any particularly bad news out of the preview builds besides the reasonable level of bugginess that entails?
Not that I've heard, but I didn't hear anything bad about lollipop either until I started googling the problems I was having.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I won't be upgrading. I haven't read anything that makes me need to. I haven't used (although it's available on separate partitions) windows 7 on either of my computers for months.

I'mma gonna stay right where I'm at, but I tip my hat to those of you who move.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heck, my work PC is still running windows XP. But at home, I've got 7. And although I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade to 10, the day might come when there's a compelling reason to upgrade to 11, or 12, or 13 (though I hear they're doing away with numbers after this), and this is the ticket into getting on that train for free.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Signing up for a reservation isn't as bad as "UPGRADE NAO" notice.

What's concerning is that Norton Internet Security apparently is incompatible with WinX.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Signing up for a reservation isn't as bad as "UPGRADE NAO" notice.

What's concerning is that Norton Internet Security apparently is incompatible with WinX.
What's REALLY concerning is somebody is apparently still using Norton.

jwhouk

jwhouk

IT CAME WITH THE MACHINE. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

I am not sure whether my current machine (which will finally be upgraded from XPPro to Win7 Pro) will be compatible with WinX.
This is not to say my next one won't be.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

IT CAME WITH THE MACHINE. :p
Every PC and laptop sold in this country should come with a free thumb drive containing Norton Removal Tool. :p

Shakey

Shakey

AV companies are horribly slow at updating to new versions of Windows. The 64 bit switch was horrible. That was their one big mistake. The lack of a solution from them made people realize Windows defender was all you needed. Plus it didn't suck resources like a $5 whore.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Official specs/requirements have been posted.

--Patrick

grub

grub

No windows media center and no native DVD player? Seriously? I don't really care about the lack of DVD support, but losing Media Center just seems dumb.

PatrThom

PatrThom

No windows media center and no native DVD player? Seriously? I don't really care about the lack of DVD support, but losing Media Center just seems dumb.
What's the point? Nobody has their own movies any more, everything is streamed. There's no reason for you to keep a local copy of a movie any more. Got that? Absolutely none! You will not have local copies of movies in any form!

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What happens when that one place that had that one movie you watched over and over goes under? Or where you had a library of streamed movies that no one else had? Bye bye movies. Too bad you didn't think to get a physical copy, because it's just gone out of print.

Anyone remember Musicmatch? When they vanished, so did your keys to their DRM-locked tracks you bought.

grub

grub

I have approximately 2TB of movies I stream locally to my tv off of my pc. I like having the digital copies.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What happens when that one place that had that one movie you watched over and over goes under? Or where you had a library of streamed movies that no one else had? Bye bye movies. Too bad you didn't think to get a physical copy, because it's just gone out of print.

Anyone remember Musicmatch? When they vanished, so did your keys to their DRM-locked tracks you bought.
I bet @PatrThom gets sad when people miss his sarcasm.

Eriol

Eriol

I bet @PatrThom gets sad when people miss his sarcasm.
DarkAudit and Grub failed their Wisdom (Insight) rolls.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit and Grub failed their Wisdom (Insight) rolls.
My point is still valid. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes.
That was kind of my point.
But that's not what the industry wants. They want you to pay for it every time you consume.

--Patrick

grub

grub

I knew he was being sarcastic, but it sounded exactly like what MS would say on the matter.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's always VLC for your PC, and Videostream for your chromecast. Really, I get annoyed whenever windows media player/center opens up.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I knew he was being sarcastic, but it sounded exactly like what MS would say on the matter.
I tried really hard to make it semi-believable.

--Patrick

grub

grub

They aren't removing features, they are just rightsizing their app list.
The amount of programs is experiencing a negative growth trend.

Dave

Dave

So if I were to do this would it format my drive, I wonder? And how many of my current programs will still work? The world wants to know!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So if I were to do this would it format my drive, I wonder? And how many of my current programs will still work? The world wants to know!
Previous times I've updated to a new windows OS, it has never required the formatting of the drive.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Upgrading is not supposed to wipe, and you should be able to do a clean install if you want.
I believe it's also supposed to shove all your programs around based on compatibility, and uninstall your antivirus for you during installation.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Previous times I've updated to a new windows OS, it has never required the formatting of the drive.
In all cases I know of, jumping a version requires a clean installation. Going from Vista to 8, XP to 7+, 98 to Vista+, etc. all require a clean install (which means a clean drive).

So, this time, presumably if you're running Windows 7 or earlier, you'll need to format your drive in order to install Windows 10.

EDIT: Some googling around on the subject seems to imply that Windows 7 may be the first exception, and can upgrade to Windows 10 directly. I don't know for certain though.

Cog

Cog

I installed the preview in my laptop. I didn't lost any programs or data.

Eriol

Eriol

In all cases I know of, jumping a version requires a clean installation. Going from Vista to 8, XP to 7+, 98 to Vista+, etc. all require a clean install (which means a clean drive).

So, this time, presumably if you're running Windows 7 or earlier, you'll need to format your drive in order to install Windows 10.

EDIT: Some googling around on the subject seems to imply that Windows 7 may be the first exception, and can upgrade to Windows 10 directly. I don't know for certain though.
Pez, you're... kinda far off: Chain of fools : Upgrading through every version of Windows: That's from 1.0 up to XP through VMware. This guy kinda "Started" this weird trend
Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware: And that's from 1.0 to windows 8 now on what looks like from the images an Asus Eee PC.

So your statement that it requires a clean installation is just not correct. Is it BEST/safest to go clean? Probably, for a few reasons, but it's actually supported to upgrade from the beginning.
X

Covar

Covar

Why?

Based on the number of Windows machines out there virtually no one was using windows media center, heck it hadn't been updated in at least five years. The few people who did are the very definition of a vocal minority.

Shakey

Shakey

Pez, you're... kinda far off: Chain of fools : Upgrading through every version of Windows: That's from 1.0 up to XP through VMware. This guy kinda "Started" this weird trend
Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware: And that's from 1.0 to windows 8 now on what looks like from the images an Asus Eee PC.

So your statement that it requires a clean installation is just not correct. Is it BEST/safest to go clean? Probably, for a few reasons, but it's actually supported to upgrade from the beginning.
X
They didn't skip versions though. They upgraded through each one. I think what pez is referring to is upgrading without buying the versions in between.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

As long as they make it easy to get my license key for 10 so I can do a clean install and not have to deal with the run-around bullshit I went through when I went straight from XP to 7, I'm good.

figmentPez

figmentPez

As long as they make it easy to get my license key for 10 so I can do a clean install and not have to deal with the run-around bullshit I went through when I went straight from XP to 7, I'm good.
I don't know how they're handling the keys, but the articles I saw said you'll have to perform the upgrade first, then wipe and do the clean install.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know how they're handling the keys, but the articles I saw said you'll have to perform the upgrade first, then wipe and do the clean install.
That's what I've read as well. You have to do the "upgrade" install first, then it will let you do a clean install on the same device "any time."

David

David

My windows 7 desktop works fine for everything I do and I actually don't mind windows 8.1 on my surface pro (might be the interface is just well-suited to a touch screen). Really not seeing a point to upgrading until PC arcitecture changes to something other than 64-bit. At least until my next computer build, which may not be too far away since I've had my current for about 4 or 5 years now. Is it at all likely for software developers to stop making their programs compatible with Win7 in the near future?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is it at all likely for software developers to stop making their programs compatible with Win7 in the near future?
Possibly? Official end-of-support date for Win7 was in January of this year. Microsoft is now only providing security updates, nothing else, until the end of "extended support" which will be in another four and a half years. That's the point where Microsoft officially abandons the OS unless you have one of those extremely pricey extended extended support contracts. Developers will be watching to see what Microsoft does and what users do before completely abandoning any OS, but developing for obsolete OSes gets harder and harder as the developer tools and environments get newer.

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Now that my pc is dead, I've been using our older than our daughter laptop which has Windows 10 installed. I miss the hot corners when I deal with metro apps

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wait, you actually HAVE a PC with WinX?

Cog

Cog

The preview, yes.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The preview, yes.
You've got three days left to tell us whether to DOOOOO EEEETTTT or to run away screaming. Spill it. :)

Cog

Cog

Do or do not. You can also try.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You've got three days left to tell us whether to DOOOOO EEEETTTT or to run away screaming. Spill it. :)

Wait wait wait, is there an upcoming deadline for the free upgrade?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Wait wait wait, is there an upcoming deadline for the free upgrade?
No. Just pointing out that it releases on Wednesday and there is still time to warn the early adopters away if necessary.

Dave

Dave

I say do it. You automatically download it and you don't HAVE to install it. But if you wait too long then you won't get it for free.

Shakey

Shakey

I haven't heard or experienced anything that would stop me from going to 10 right away.

There will of course always be the chance that a program or driver may need to be reinstalled, but nothing horrible. At least from what I've seen and heard.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

If you have an eligible PC for the Win 10 upgrade, I think I saw it'll be a free upgrade for a year, so you don't have to go to it right away if you do not want to.

I plan on going to it on my home PC as soon as I can - I work in IT support for our remote users so that'll be the only way I can get Win 10 access for a while (corp is on Win 7 without an EA for desktop OS).

Eriol

Eriol

I've tried it out in a VM and that seems fine. I'll try it out on my PC in my living room for running steam streaming to, and a few light things, and take my desktop to it within a week or two if all seems fine.

Really, it's a good opportunity to do a good backup to an external drive. New OS versions is a good reminder to actually DO that every so often!

PatrThom

PatrThom

If you have a legitimate copy of Win7 or newer, you will have up to a year to upgrade to 10 for free.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So I've never done a drive wipe/format in order to install a new version of Windows. From what I'm hearing, I won't have to worry here? That I can just install it and it'll keep everything I currently have on my drive(s)?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I've never done a drive wipe/format in order to install a new version of Windows. From what I'm hearing, I won't have to worry here? That I can just install it and it'll keep everything I currently have on my drive(s)?
From what I've read, you have the option to do it either way - either "install over-top" or "wipe and install."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Should probably do a backup before you do any sort of install anyway.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Took about an hour to install on my 5-year old i3 laptop. No hiccups on this install that I've seen so far.

(ETA: *hic* that "express settings"? wipes out your preferred default applications in favor of the new M$ apps.)

Eriol

Eriol

(ETA: *hic* that "express settings"? wipes out your preferred default applications in favor of the new M$ apps.)
And why is that a surprise? I'm actually expecting and WANTING that, to at least give their apps a shot, before defaulting back to my normal applications again. But I'll at least give the new ones a fair shake.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And why is that a surprise? I'm actually expecting and WANTING that, to at least give their apps a shot, before defaulting back to my normal applications again. But I'll at least give the new ones a fair shake.
I didn't say it was a surprise. just a hiccup to my personal experience, and a caution to those who haven't gotten that far yet.

A clean install on the laptop is overdue. Hell, I've never done one on the 7 Ultimate drive (I'd swap out with a different HD for running linux. No dual boots.).

Shakey

Shakey

Express settings in the past have just been about update and security settings. So, it can be a bit of a surprise to a lot of people. Resetting all of those defaults can be a pain in the button.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Main desktop install complete. And an actual hiccup. Would not install from Windows Update. Had to download the media creation tool and run to upgrade "this PC". Everything proceeded normally from that point.

Dave

Dave

Well, looks like I'll be trying to upgrade tonight. I'll back up my music and movies but that's about it. I don't have anything else I can't get back, although reinstalling all my Steam games would be a pain in the butt.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm doing the install first on the wife's laptop running 8.1. Gonna wait on my computer until this weekend when I have more time; it's already downloaded according to the W10 thingy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

We just upgraded Cranky's main computer (Built Mar2007*) from XP to Win8.1 yesterday. We were (well, I was) worried it might be too old to handle Win8.x but everything seems to be coming along nicely. We'll save WinX for the new computer we're going to build him next month once the CPU I have planned for it is finally released.

--Patrick
MLB: DFI CFX3200-M2/G
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
GPU: Radeon HD 6950
HDD: 1.0TB SATA Hitachi (ATA mode)
RAM: 3GB crappy DDR2 RAM (needs replacement, keeps not getting recognized)

We have a newer 5600+ CPU we're going to be installing, and we're going to be replacing the RAM with either 4GB (2x2) or 8GB (4x2) soon, we might replace the 1TB HDD also with a SATA SSD or SSHD if it looks like we can get one for a deal AND if I can keep him from reinstalling everything on the old HDD long enough, but that's not a priority.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Found an actual actual hiccup. Can't get anything to install from the Store. But the error code is for network congestion. So if I just wait, it should work itself out.

Shakey

Shakey

One thing you may want to watch is the option to share your WiFi pass keys. Not anything that you really need to worry about, but I'm guessing most here will shy away from it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Patiently waiting to see if I should upgrade now or wait a few months.

Dave

Dave

I've upgraded and now am trying to get my second monitor to work. I only have to install the Windows 10 driver so it shouldn't take too long. But right now everything is HUUUUUGE on my screen.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I could do without the pulsing screen upon setting up your personal options.

Dave

Dave

And I'm done. Actually I've been done. Really simple and seamless upgrade.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, how does this work? I signed up for it.

Doh, just noticed that they're releasing in waves. nothing yet for me.

Cog

Cog

This worked for me

1. make sure your system is set to receive and install Windows Updates automatically
  2. delete everything in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
  3. run this command in an instance of cmd.exe ran as administrator: wuauclt.exe /updatenow
  4. you should be all set and your download should begin shortly.

Dave

Dave

Bowielee

Bowielee

This worked for me
That worked, it's downloading now.

Dave

Dave

Found my first major blip and I don't like it.

Skyrim refuses to load. My favorite game. *sigh* I'm testing other games now.

Dave

Dave

Ruh roh, Raggy. NONE of my Steam games are working with the default overlay. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Steam and see if it does the trick.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well. This is going about as badly as possible. Windows isn't recognizing anything plugged into the USB ports.[DOUBLEPOST=1438221999,1438221954][/DOUBLEPOST]Including my mouse.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Well shit. I should have came to the forums like 4 minutes ago... Wish me luck?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Dave

Dave

Ouchy. Just...ouchy. Apparently uninstalling the Steam client also uninstalls all of your games. All of them. Not sure about mods yet.

If I didn't love doing this I'd probably be upset right now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I found out what the issue is. Stupid old asus program that has always been crap. It caused windows to not be able to access my USB drivers.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Ruh roh, Raggy. NONE of my Steam games are working with the default overlay. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Steam and see if it does the trick.
What do you mean by "default overlay"? I've only tested Portal 2 so far since you posted this, but it seems fine on my end.

I upgraded my Catalyst drivers before installing Windows 10, and then again after the AMD Gaming Evolved app (a rebaged Raptr) pinged at me for new Win 10 drivers after the install.

What I don't like is that app runs plays.tv by default, which itself defaults to recording your gaming sessions. OFF.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't believe I don't have a serial mouse ANYWHERES in my house. I have to revert to 7, uninstall the offending program, then reinstall.

The goddamn programs uninstaller even sucks. It REQUIRES a mouse to uninstall.

Dave

Dave

What do you mean by "default overlay"? I've only tested Portal 2 so far since you posted this, but it seems fine on my end.

I upgraded my Catalyst drivers before installing Windows 10, and then again after the AMD Gaming Evolved app (a rebaged Raptr) pinged at me for new Win 10 drivers after the install.

What I don't like is that app runs plays.tv by default, which itself defaults to recording your gaming sessions. OFF.
The regular Steam program that you downloaded. It does work if you "upgrade" to the beta of Steam. Skyrim works, but Borderlands 2 does not.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yep, sounds like I'm gonna wait awhile until this all gets figured out.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ouchy. Just...ouchy. Apparently uninstalling the Steam client also uninstalls all of your games. All of them. Not sure about mods yet.

If I didn't love doing this I'd probably be upset right now.

There's a checkbox somewhere along the way to leave game files alone, but it's easy to miss if not outright hidden.

Dave

Dave

Yeah I didn't see that. C'est la vie.

Gared

Gared

Yep, sounds like I'm gonna wait awhile until this all gets figured out.
The upgrade was really easy. The roll-back to Windows 7 went even easier. Couldn't update my video card driver because there was an open "found new hardware" dialog box - except that there wasn't. Restarting didn't fix it, and the resolution from the Microsoft generic video driver couldn't be set above 1024 x 780. That, combined with Microsoft resetting the default browser away from Chrome twice, gives me enough reason to wait a while and see what happens before attempting to upgrade again.

Dave

Dave

Right now Borderlands 2 is the only thing I can't run. Everything else runs gangbusters.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Hadn't played some of my Steam games in years, until @Dave mentioned the Windows 10 issues he had. So I missed the end of GFWL and the changeover to Steamworks.

Long story short, my Arkham Asylum and City saves and achievements were wiped out. Thanks, Dave. :p

Bowielee

Bowielee

Should a played em. My saves are safe on the cloud :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, so far so good. The black start bar is gonna take some getting used to, but other than that - and an apparent slowdown in typing this out...

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm going to try again. I don't want to blame windows for my issue after uninstalling this ASUS suite software, even 7 is running better. Why do mobo manufacturers always make such shitty software?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Why do mobo manufacturers always make such shitty software?
To brand the experience.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, that did the trick. I'm now typing on Windows 10 on my wireless keyboard with my wireless mouse and all USB ports are A-OK. Freakin' Asus.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Should a played em. My saves are safe on the cloud :p
Thing was, even while I wasn't playing, the games would keep updating because Steam was always running in the background. So sometime back there, the save format changed and the saves I had were no longer compatible. Even though they were still here. And the methods to "fix" them involved unknown software from unknown people. Nope.

More fun to just blame @Dave. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

The only issue I'm having is, when accessing here from Edge (aka IEvX), I keep getting "Only Secure Content Is Displayed" at the bottom of the screen... :confused:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Decided to do a clean install of Pro on the laptop. Put most stuff back with no problems, but then hit a snag with iTunes. Kept getting an error supposedly related to a Visual Studio patch. But even after installing that patch, no dice.

Searching for Windows 10 instead of the error code found the real problem and solution. Regular iTunes installer isn't ready for Windows 10 yet, but the version for "low end video cards" does just fine.

The iTunes on the desktop didn't want to sync with my phone or update apps on the initial run. Running it once as administrator seems to have fixed that issue.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Regular iTunes installer isn't ready for Windows 10 yet, but the version for "low end video cards" does just fine.
They probably haven't coded it to tell the difference between 32/64 bit on WinX yet. Pretty sure the "low-end GPU" version is 64-bit only.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Screen flash issue!
Right after the stupid setup screens with the "tweak" crap, my background just sits there and flashes constantly. Can't do anything except task manager or log out ..

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

They probably haven't coded it to tell the difference between 32/64 bit on WinX yet. Pretty sure the "low-end GPU" version is 64-bit only.

--Patrick
It could tell the difference between 32 and 64 before, so why not now?

PatrThom

PatrThom

It could tell the difference between 32 and 64 before, so why not now?
Because I don't think it's coded to recognize WinX yet, and I'm assuming it defaults to 32 if it can't identify the version.
I don't know if this is actually the case, but that's my guess.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Did a rollback, then tried to install again; same thing - flashing screen, no icons, only Window button, Search, and notifications icons in Start bar.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ever since I got rid of that Asus software, it's been smooth sailing. Mortal Kombat X actually runs better than before, but I don't know if that's because of the OS, or because of getting rid of that horrid software.

Dave

Dave

Borderlands 2 works again since I validated the files and restarted Steam. Now the only issue is sometimes Skyrim bugs out on me and it did that before, just not as often.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Restore #2 is going on in background - as I am typing this (ironically) on the wife's laptop, running a freshly installed version of WinX.

I'm not doing another install until I see something that explains what this flashing thing is all about.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think I may have found the problem with my blinky-blink install of WinTen.

I had to run a System File Checker scan to see what exactly was broken, and found there were a couple of files - both with a .json extension - that were unrepairable by SFC.

I do some poking around, and guess what? A Windows Update-issued fix from earlier this year (that was - get this - a Windows Ten PREP file) corrupted the exact same two files, both with the .json extension.

There is a very specific fix that I've found, and (after I save my WinTen install to a USB drive, using Media Creation Tool) I will run it, then do another sfc run to check it.

If it's fixed... I think I'll do another "save" of my system with Macrium, after deleting the old partition, then try the third attempt at installing WinTen - this time from my USB drive.

And THEN... hopefully I will have Windows 10 on this silly machine.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The only game I can't get to work right now is GTA V

jwhouk

jwhouk

SIGH.

Apparently, this issue with KB3068708 ("Windows Unified Telemetry Client") is what may be keeping me from installing WinTen. And - get this - it's not something that can be fixed.

Feh. Not gonna futz with it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

SIGH.

Apparently, this issue with KB3068708 ("Windows Unified Telemetry Client") is what may be keeping me from installing WinTen. And - get this - it's not something that can be fixed.

Feh. Not gonna futz with it.
Found this issue with a slightly different update.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm starting to suspect two things:

1. A lot of these updates went out with these corrupt .JSON files, but MS techs either couldn't notice the problem, or figured they "average user" wouldn't even notice;

2. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that they did this intentionally to force people to do "clean" installs of their system - which would mean having to reinstall everything, and losing all their saved data.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm starting to suspect two things:

1. A lot of these updates went out with these corrupt .JSON files, but MS techs either couldn't notice the problem, or figured they "average user" wouldn't even notice;

2. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that they did this intentionally to force people to do "clean" installs of their system - which would mean having to reinstall everything, and losing all their saved data.
If your saved data is that important, you should probably back it up anyway.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If your saved data is that important, you should probably back it up anyway.
Not to put too fine a point on it, and not to be malicious, but this should always be the first question you should ask yourself before upgrading, before installing. If you haven't made a backup, before you even turn your computer on in the morning, you should be like:
meowhdd.jpg

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Thank you, already did that. I restored twice from a cloned copy using Maricum.

And we are seconds away...[DOUBLEPOST=1438543806,1438543655][/DOUBLEPOST]YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1438544242][/DOUBLEPOST]@DarkAudit - I owe you a beer. :)

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

My first thoughts - boot up time is a bit slower on my multiple Win 7 and my one Win 8.1 machines, but once I'm in, it overall seems "faster" in response for apps.

Not too keen on the "pin" location for the Start Menu.

jwhouk

jwhouk

There are issues, yes. But I'm liking my options so far.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Cortana gets it...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Cortana gets it...
Now if she could just not use Bing

PatrThom

PatrThom

Now if she could just not use Bing
Pretty sure it's in her contract.
Ask her about "naked Cortana pics," see what she says.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

--Patrick
"Master Chief... is that you?"

Bowielee

Bowielee

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The issues you guys are having don't seem to be too major, for the most part, but until I actually have time to screw around fixing broken things in Windows, I think I am going to hold off a month or two.

GasBandit

GasBandit

--Patrick

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

A bit more detail for me: I did 2 laptops (my Win 8.1, my wife's Win 7) and 2 HTPCs (both Win 7) over the weekend. No issues with 3 of them, but I had to wipe the settings on one of the HTPCs after an initial failed attempt at keeping it's settings (going from Win 7 to 10). This worked in my favor as it was having some odd issues anyway. Being a HTPC, there was a lot less to deal with reinstalling - I had most of it ready just in case (ninite.com is your friend!). After reinstalling everything, I finally was able to get it to work in full 1080p with it with Win 10 too - Win 7 wouldn't display it right if I set it to 1080 (p or i).

My wife agrees with me that the boot up time is longer but once you are in, it seems "faster."

I still have to do my son's laptop (once he earns having it back).

Dave

Dave

Oh there's a story there.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

What - that my son needs to earn his laptop back? He'll be 7 next week, so he constantly loses and gains his laptop and iPad depending on how well he listens to us.

Soupy

Soupy

I've tried the upgrade from Win7 a few times now; once the machine shuts down and restarts it then hangs (little dot wheel freezes and stops rotating) and only a hard reset fixes. First reset it tries again and hangs, second one it reverts back to win7. Going to do more digging to figure this out.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I may just back up my files and do a clean install.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Just finished the upgrade to 10, no glitches or hitches.

Dei

Dei

I've tried the upgrade from Win7 a few times now; once the machine shuts down and restarts it then hangs (little dot wheel freezes and stops rotating) and only a hard reset fixes. First reset it tries again and hangs, second one it reverts back to win7. Going to do more digging to figure this out.
I can't restart my computer at all, I have to completely shut it down and turn it back on or else it just locks up. Weird issue.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Plenty of people sounding off over the (real or imagined) privacy holes that 10 creates.
I look forward to seeing how much truth there is to the stories.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Firefox is a bit choppy when scrolling or watching streams. Thinking of going to get a RAM upgrade to this box. Currently just 8GB DDR3-1600 installed. Also noticed that Windows considers "system managed" pagefile size on this system to mean "none". Changed that to 1-3 GB on the HDD (E: drive).

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Plenty of people sounding off over the (real or imagined) privacy holes that 10 creates.
I look forward to seeing how much truth there is to the stories.

--Patrick
TBH, there were a lot of things I opted out of in the Win10 setup, for privacy reasons. No, I don't want microsoft partners to have my particular "advertising ID". No, I don't want to send stuff to microsoft (my keystrokes, voice commands, etc) to microsoft to help improve cortana. No, Microsoft, you don't need to know my contact and calendar details.

But, Win10 made it clear that there were privacy settings I should look at, and ticking off all of those things was pretty simple during the process.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

While investigating the Firefox issue (still only available in 32-bit for Windows users), what extensions do I discover are two of the biggest resource hogs? Adblock Plus and Ghostery. Well, fuck. And it's still not helping the choppy video issue.

(ETA: I think that's got it. Suggested to disable hardware acceleration in either Flash or Firefox itself.)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I uninstalled Ghostery a long time ago due to performance issues. :(

Ran into my first Win10 problem this morning when I tried to VPN in to work.

For various reasons, I prefer to use an XP virtual machine with VMWare to VPN from. I've had employers force all network traffic (not just work machine traffic) through the VPN. I've had employers require X amount of keystrokes per minute to keep the VPN active (which is easy to script for, but a pain unless it's in the background somewhere). OPM required a government id card reader which completely screwed up the ability to use the VPN for any other purpose until I did a clean install.

So, I segregate out the machine I'm using to VPN by using a virtual machine. This morning, I was unable to log into work, because VMWare couldn't connect over the NAT bridge to my local machine. Something about the win10 installation messed it up. A reinstall of VMWare fixed the problem.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I run into VPN issues if I reboot or shut down with the VPN app active. I have to run the app again to restore network connectivity.

I think I've finally sussed out the choppiness of Firefox. And it's all Flash. Plugincontainer.exe will cause CPU spikes about every 40 seconds or so, and that's where everything tends to hang. Odd that I didn't really notice it in Win7.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@Amy, when I upgraded the laptop, Windows 10 was ready to install from Windows Update. No such luck with the desktop. I had to go here and download the tool to get the installation done.

Eriol

Eriol

The only hiccup I had was that I had to re-install my nVidia drivers after the upgrade. Other than that, absolutely no problems.

Strangely, I didn't have to do that on my "media PC" downstairs, which has another nVidia card. Different card yes, but still, both "not new" cards that had their drivers both up-to-date prior to upgrade.

*shrug*

Otherwise, it's been fine.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The only hiccup I had was that I had to re-install my nVidia drivers after the upgrade. Other than that, absolutely no problems.

Strangely, I didn't have to do that on my "media PC" downstairs, which has another nVidia card. Different card yes, but still, both "not new" cards that had their drivers both up-to-date prior to upgrade..
My guess, it's the difference between WDDM 1.3 (DX11) and WDDM 2.0 drivers. If you're using a card that's DX12-capable, you might have to reinstall to enable WDDM 2.0 function.

Just a note, also.
Seems there are emails going around that say, "It's finally your turn to download and install Windows 10!" but really they are variants of Cryptolocker, so keep an eye out to make sure you and your friends/family don't fall victim.

--Patrick

Amy

Amy

Main desktop install complete. And an actual hiccup. Would not install from Windows Update. Had to download the media creation tool and run to upgrade "this PC". Everything proceeded normally from that point.
@DarkAudit okay, apparently my account marked this as "I need this explained to me." I don't recall actively doing so, so I can only assume I butt dialed did it in my sleep or I've been having more black outs than I thought I did. In any case, apologies.

drifter

drifter

Re:Ghostery, I've been using uBlock lately (now uBlock Origin). Seems to work pretty well.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So far it seems to be working pretty well. The biggest hiccup I had updating was that the Nvidia Experience app no longer works, but not like I used it that much. The only major gripe I have is getting used to the new positions in the UI, but I don't really blame it for that, it's just a given I have to relearn a bit. Been oddly impressed with how fast Cortana has been finding what I ask, and overall the system feels like it's running a lot faster. Once I learn the inner-workings a bit more, I think this will be a successful upgrade to Windows 7.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So far it seems to be working pretty well. The biggest hiccup I had updating was that the Nvidia Experience app no longer works, but not like I used it that much. The only major gripe I have is getting used to the new positions in the UI, but I don't really blame it for that, it's just a given I have to relearn a bit. Been oddly impressed with how fast Cortana has been finding what I ask, and overall the system feels like it's running a lot faster. Once I learn the inner-workings a bit more, I think this will be a successful upgrade to Windows 7.
Seriously, uninstall everything Nvidia related and reinstall. The drivers are somewhat broken if you just let it update on it's own.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Seriously, uninstall everything Nvidia related and reinstall. The drivers are somewhat broken if you just let it update on it's own.
The drivers are working fine, it's only the "Experience" app that didn't make the conversion.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I reserved my Windows 10 and it's trying to upgrade it now. But I don't want to upgrade yet. Is there an ideal way to tell Windows "hold up, don't upgrade yet"?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I reserved my Windows 10 and it's trying to upgrade it now. But I don't want to upgrade yet. Is there an ideal way to tell Windows "hold up, don't upgrade yet"?
During the process, I was asked "do you want to schedule the upgrade for a later time?" but it only gave me the choice of up to 2 days in the future.

Then, when I shut down my machine, it upgraded anyway. I guess I was supposed to leave it on for those two days. Heh.

Dei

Dei

People turn off their computers???

GasBandit

GasBandit

Only when it's time to put in a better video card.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Only when it's time to put in a better video card.
Pretty much this. I never shut my computer down unless it's to restart it for an update or something.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I shut my computer off every night. Do you know what kind of heat that thing can generate?

Besides, it takes all of 10 seconds for it to boot up again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I shut my computer off every night. Do you know what kind of heat that thing can generate?

I like to not have to sit and wait for steam to finish downloading patches before I play something.

Bubble181

Bubble181

10 seconds? Pffft :p

It literally takes my screen longer to power up than my PC to go to "ready and waiting on the desktop" mode. When it was new it was 3.4 seconds...Now I guess it's a bit longer :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Gives the power supply fan a longer shelf life. I've fixed more than one friend's computer that actually caught on fire because the power supply fan seized and the thing overheated.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wish!

I've checked to see how long some of the computers I've serviced have been on without a restart. I've seen 200+ days. One coworker says he's seen over a thousand, and I have no reason to doubt him. "It's getting slow and some things don't work right." "You do realize you have to restart after an update, right?"

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, I do a SOFT reset every week or two. But I never POWER OFF.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, I do a SOFT reset every week or two. But I never POWER OFF.
You just put it to sleep when you're not actively using it?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

You just put it to sleep when you're not actively using it?

--Patrick
Of course not, that'd be inane. All the drawbacks of shutting down with none of the benefits.

Only the monitor shuts off (automatically after 10 mins of disuse). Everything else stays at 100% BABY

Amy

Amy

wait, you're supposed to turn computers off?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Of course not, that'd be inane. All the drawbacks of shutting down with none of the benefits.

Only the monitor shuts off (automatically after 10 mins of disuse). Everything else stays at 100% BABY
Just the idea of your machine being at 100% ALL THE TIME even though nobody can see it. Well, at least it's ready at a moment's notice.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Just the idea of your machine being at 100% ALL THE TIME even though nobody can see it. Well, at least it's ready at a moment's notice.

--Patrick
Americans really and honestly still need an ecological mind shift if they think it's a good idea to leave a computer running at 100% the whole time. No offense (to Gas and Amy and whoever), but most people here would realise that's a complete and utter waste of energy for no sensible benefit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

--Patrick
Americans really and honestly still need an ecological mind shift if they think it's a good idea to leave a computer running at 100% the whole time. No offense (to Gas and Amy and whoever), but most people here would realise that's a complete and utter waste of energy for no sensible benefit.
I remote login to my machines pretty frequently actually.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I remote login to my machines pretty frequently actually.
Remote boot is also an option these days, especially and easily if you put it to sleep instead of shutting down :p

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I keep mine on all the time because I need it to be prepared to render at a moments notice. :cool:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Remote boot is also an option these days, especially and easily if you put it to sleep instead of shutting down :p
That doesn't help my torrents.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So... any ideas on how to tell Windows to delay the update?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just stopped the download, and will download it when I'm ready to upgrade

Eriol

Eriol

That's part of the point of the new system, that you can't. Too many were just never updating. Yes this is a case of the mass of idiots impacting those who were doing it right, but IMO it isn't that hard a pill to swallow.

Edit: or did you mean the upgrade? No idea there. I thought you meant Windows updates.

Amy

Amy

So I guess I have Windows ten now on my Mac boot camp drive....

how do I make Cortana actually speak? ( As opposed to just display text?)

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I guess I have Windows ten now on my Mac boot camp drive....

how do I make Cortana actually speak? ( As opposed to just display text?)
I don't have windows 10 yet, so I can't test for myself, but googling around, I saw that Cortana seems to only respond out loud to verbal commands - if you type to her, she "types" back.

That said, there are other people who have the problem where Cortana doesn't speak no matter what, and it turned out to be a sound card driver issue... at least for the few who managed to fix it. More than half those who I read complaining about it have yet to be able to fix it.

Amy

Amy

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO TALK TO HER IF I WANT HER TO TALK TO ME? WHAT IS THIS, REAL LIFE?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO TALK TO HER IF I WANT HER TO TALK TO ME? WHAT IS THIS, REAL LIFE?!
What, you too good to talk to Cortana? Just close your eyes and pretend she's Siri. And be glad she isn't Jane from "Ok Google"/Google Now.

Amy

Amy

What, you too good to talk to Cortana? Just close your eyes and pretend she's Siri. And be glad she isn't Jane from "Ok Google"/Google Now.
I just want to talk to Scarlett again. Is that so much to ask?!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Maybe it's a bit narcissistic of me, but I'm just tickled that Cortana recognizes my old band's music. ("Hey Cortana...what's playing?")

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just want to talk to Scarlett again. Is that so much to ask?!
If you say so, Joaquin.

Amy

Amy

If you say so, Joaquin.
hyeah.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Amy

Amy

PatrThom

PatrThom

I get the reference, but of course I haven't seen it yet.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

ScarJo broke my heart in that movie without even showing up once.[DOUBLEPOST=1439173361,1439173304][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's part of the point of the new system, that you can't. Too many were just never updating. Yes this is a case of the mass of idiots impacting those who were doing it right, but IMO it isn't that hard a pill to swallow.

Edit: or did you mean the upgrade? No idea there. I thought you meant Windows updates.
Yeah I meant the upgrade, sorry if that wasn't clear. Every time I turn on my computer it pops up going HEY CONGRATS YOU GET AN UPGRADE LET'S UPGRADE NOW WHEEE!!

And I'm all like, "wait no not now, I want to watch porn first."

PatrThom

PatrThom

UpDATE = Get the latest patches and features for your CURRENT version.
UpGRADE = Move to the next version.

Remember to always up*a?e responsibly, kids!

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I have to say I am extremely impressed with Cortana. Not only is she able to pick up my voice on the webcam even when I whisper mumble, but when it seems she is way off she somehow figures it out anyways.

Example, I told her, through a whisper, "open wow model viewer", the text based on what it thought I was saying said "open now model bieber". In most any other voice activated assistants, this is where it send me to a Justin Bieber modelling website or something equally stupid, but nope, Contana still loaded up wow model viewer as if it knew what I was talking about the whole time.

Dave

Dave

I now have a laptop with Win10 on it. No issues at all.

I'm actually loving the interface so far.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, the only issue I run into with this forum on Windows 10 is that any page that has a lot of youtube links freezes my browser for a good while. This happens on Chrome Firefox and (ugh) Microsoft Edge.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Punted avast. It was responsible for files taking up to 15 seconds to load. Now pictures and videos fire up immediately again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Punted avast. It was responsible for files taking up to 15 seconds to load. Now pictures and videos fire up immediately again.
What are you using instead, then? Just MSE?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What are you using instead, then? Just MSE?
I'm using the built in Windows Defender.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I hope you're also running adblock and also regularly scanning with Malwarebytes, in that case. The windows security suites have really slid downhill the last few years.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I hope you're also running adblock and also regularly scanning with Malwarebytes, in that case. The windows security suites have really slid downhill the last few years.
Adblock plus and ghostery are still running on Firefox. Just ABP for Chrome. I'll look into Malwarebytes a bit later. Working tonight, so bed. :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've used nothing but built in windows defender for the past five years, and I think the last time I had a computer virus was close to 15 years ago.

Of course, I'm also not an idiot or internet inept, so that helps.

PatrThom

PatrThom

New rash of malvertising attacks threatens millions of Web surfers

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yep. This. This is why adblocking software is mandatory for web browsing. Affiliate advertising is a neverending shitball of passed bucks and irresponsibility. It's even worse than radio.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well huzzah.

Ok, so I run with ABP "allowing non-intrusive ads" (because some sites to merit some ad dollars as long as they don't annoy me too much) and a few trusted sites (Halforums being one of them).
1. If one of my "trusted sites" gets a crappy ad, I'm fucked?
2. Could this be an issue through "non-intrusive" ads? I don't know how or where they determine the difference.
3. What added benefit would Ghostery give?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well huzzah.

Ok, so I run with ABP "allowing non-intrusive ads" (because some sites to merit some ad dollars as long as they don't annoy me too much) and a few trusted sites (Halforums being one of them).
1. If one of my "trusted sites" gets a crappy ad, I'm fucked?
2. Could this be an issue through "non-intrusive" ads? I don't know how or where they determine the difference.
3. What added benefit would Ghostery give?
1) yes. The only safe option is to block all ads. Sorry, websites. Affiliate advertising is too dangerous.
2) non intrusive just means no pop ups/sound/video. It doesn't protect you in any way. Disallow non-intrusive ads.
3) ghostery is for extra amounts of control.. consider it like... driving manual in your browser, instead of automatic. It's not really 100% necessary, so long as you've got adblock blocking EVERYTHING. But if you want to customize more of what sites show you and what they can't, this is something for that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The trouble is, even trusted websites don't necessarily inspect (or even have any control!) over the ads that get served on their page.
Unfortunately, that means best advice is to just ignore/block ads entirely until some method surfaces that forces ads to be safe.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Only hit on a Malwarebytes scan on the desktop was the Ask Toolbar.

The kind of crap Avast! tries to foist on you during installation.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Now I'm reading all this stuff about how windows 10 scans for and disables pirate software and "unauthorized hardware." WTF constitutes "unauthorized hardware?" With Microsoft's track record, what's our insurance against false positives? Also reading more about how all the "opting out" doesn't actually stop Win10 from sending data home and whatnot.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I assume they mean things like mod chips (and possibly video output dongles for recording/streaming content without permission). Also there's how it completely and utterly breaks the SecureROM and SafeDisc DRM schemes, so you know, no more games like BioShock, Mass Effect, The Sims...

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I assume they mean things like mod chips (and possibly video output dongles for recording/streaming content without permission). Also there's how it completely and utterly breaks the SecureROM and SafeDisc DRM schemes, so you know, no more games like BioShock, Mass Effect, The Sims...

--Patrick
This would be the first time I've heard of a PC needing a mod chip. Someone I read, however, said it disabled his third party/modded Xbox controller.

PatrThom

PatrThom

third party/modded Xbox controller.
UNAUTHORIZED HARDWARE DETECTED
IT WILL BE DISABLED FOR YOUR SAFETY

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

I have discovered that some software loses its "registration" when you upgrade. I had to re-register mIRC and IconEdit after using them in WinTen; the former required me to pony up the shareware fee because my old code didn't work.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The desktop was running the same basic installation from when I built the PC in 2011. Time to clear out the debris.

After backing up everything worth backing up, I decided to do the refresh and clear both drives, the SSD holding Windows and the HDD with my user directory.

It failed after about 2%. Multiple attempts failed to get it to continue. When I finally decided to try the turn off PC option, turning it on again got a "no operating system found" error, and even trying booting from the optical drive would fail at first. Using the BIOS boot menu finally got the install DVD going again. A little detour to run sysprep in the middle got the user folder on the HDD where it belongs, and now I'm back in business. Apparently the boot order in the BIOS got swapped out when I wasn't looking. I fixed that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

No, Windows 10 is not spying on you. No, Windows 10 is not sending the contents of your hard drive to the FBI.

bhamv3

bhamv3

No, Windows 10 is not spying on you. No, Windows 10 is not sending the contents of your hard drive to the FBI.
As far as we know.

DUN DUN DUN!!!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

As far as we know.

DUN DUN DUN!!!
What gets me is people who should know better, like Leo Laporte, are spreading this tinfoil hattery FUD. :facepalm:

TWiT, indeed.

Eriol

Eriol

IIRC there's also some clause about whatever you type into search boxes being used, but again, that makes sense. You're searching through them, thus they use that information.

It would be creepy if it extended to anything you type which I believe is what some are accusing, but I haven't seen an explicit reference to at this time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

IIRC there's also some clause about whatever you type into search boxes being used, but again, that makes sense. You're searching through them, thus they use that information.

It would be creepy if it extended to anything you type which I believe is what some are accusing, but I haven't seen an explicit reference to at this time.
I believe it's anything you type that you have Cortana enabled to respond to, because that text goes to Microsoft to process what Cortana will do.

Eriol

Eriol

I believe it's anything you type that you have Cortana enabled to respond to, because that text goes to Microsoft to process what Cortana will do.
Because I'm in Canada I can't access Cortana (Edit: yet. We're in the next batch of countries to get her supposedly). Not sure what she can/does respond to. Is she always-on? Thus can you talk to her/it at any time, in any game if you have a mic? Or only if you click something is she set up to respond?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Because I'm in Canada I can't access Cortana (Edit: yet. We're in the next batch of countries to get her supposedly). Not sure what she can/does respond to. Is she always-on? Thus can you talk to her/it at any time, in any game if you have a mic? Or only if you click something is she set up to respond?
If she's so configured, you activate her with "hey Cortana, (request)" or click on the microphone next to the search box and speak.

Dave

Dave

I turned her off. I have that affect on women.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I turned her off. I have that affect on women.
She wanted me to turn my local machine user account into a Microsoft account.

I would do anything for love... But I won't do that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, you have to link your local account to MSN in order to use Cortana, or something like that.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Microsoft support is pretty idiotic.

Dave

Dave

I still want to see how that conversation ended. Did it "mysteriously" get disconnected? Did the user rage quit? Did the MS guy finally understand? Did Scooby pull the mask off and find out it was Old Man Murphy all along?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dude, that's every time I call just about any tech support.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Microsoft support is pretty idiotic.

Dei

Dei

Now I feel like we need a facepalm rating.

:facepalm:

tegid

tegid

To be fair, 5 minutes of googling told me that
1- the free upgrade does not give you an actual Windows 10 product key
2- there is apparently a legit way to do what the guy was trying to do: upgrade, register your computer on Microsoft servers THEN do a fresh install.

The tech guy is facepalmingly stupid though

Shakey

Shakey

They both are. You could tell the person with the issue knew what the tech support person wanted. He was doing the stereotypical nerd thing and making it harder than it needed to be so that he could laugh at how stupid tech support was. People like that annoy the hell out of me.

Dei

Dei

I disagree, because there are plenty of people with just enough technical know-how to get by, but not enough to make life easy for tech support. So, someone working tech support should still understand how key pullers work, and also know that Win10 is stupid about keys.

Jay

Jay

So ugh, does anyone have a legit copy of Win 7 or 8 they aren't using? :)

Bones

Bones

Well i have ten, zero problems, and am loving it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Noticed a bit longer copy time from USB to the hard drive at times.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The craziest shit with win 10...

I can't ping another computer on the network by its name. Unless I ping its IP address... then for a little while I can ping it by name, map network shares from it, etc. But after a while, it "forgets" the other computers.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The craziest shit with win 10...

I can't ping another computer on the network by its name. Unless I ping its IP address... then for a little while I can ping it by name, map network shares from it, etc. But after a while, it "forgets" the other computers.
ARP cache-related?
WinX computer firewall?

Wish I knew more about WinX without having to install it. I will say that I learned how to get it to stop nagging me about upgrading to WinX.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not sure about the cache, but first thing I did was disable the firewall. Didn't help. Also tried switching from homegroup based authentication to user/pass. Didn't help.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Consulted with our engineer, he says in all the windows 10 instances he's been forced to deal with, he had no choice but to go static IPs on all machines (no dhcp) and use local host files on every machine.

What bullshit.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Consulted with our engineer, he says in all the windows 10 instances he's been forced to deal with, he had no choice but to go static IPs on all machines (no dhcp) and use local host files on every machine.
Can't he just use DHCP reservations and/or local DNS instead? Or do they not want to go through with all that?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can't he just use DHCP reservations and/or local DNS instead? Or do they not want to go through with all that?

--Patrick
I don't think most of his clients want to spring for their own DNS server when their router "already does that." Besides, it's a fix that shouldn't be needed. NetBIOS should resolve local network computer names, IMO.

PatrThom

PatrThom

it's a fix that shouldn't be needed. NetBIOS should resolve local network computer names, IMO.
No argument there.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

NetBIOS should resolve local network computer names, IMO.
http://www.windows10forums.com/thre...haring-doesnt-work-in-mixed-environments.184/
Hope it's useful AND easier than rolling Chewie back to Win7/8.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I keep hesitating on updating to windows 10, and stuff like this doesn't really help.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Wouldn't that just be because they need to update the app to work with WinX?
Otherwise you might want to pack a flash drive with CPU-Z or other alternatives in the meanwhile.

--Pateick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wouldn't that just be because they need to update the app to work with WinX?
Otherwise you might want to pack a flash drive with CPU-Z or other alternatives in the meanwhile.

--Pateick
No OS update should EVER assume it is OK to uninstall software "for me."

PatrThom

PatrThom

No OS update should EVER assume it is OK to uninstall software "for me."
Agreed...with certain obvious exceptions.
(though it really should tell you what was removed rather than just saying, "I'm done" like it does now)

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Speccy, though, is compatible with WinX (though as a desktop program).

GasBandit

GasBandit

OH THE IRONY

Bubble181

Bubble181

To be fair, why the hell would you ever want to use the Bing Bar?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Microsoft is getting pretty pushy about this Windows 10 thing. Can't turn on my computer without getting that big upgrade message. So, basically, I guess it's decision time.

For those of you with Windows 10, would you recommend it as an upgrade over Windows 7?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Microsoft is getting pretty pushy about this Windows 10 thing. Can't turn on my computer without getting that big upgrade message. So, basically, I guess it's decision time.

For those of you with Windows 10, would you recommend it as an upgrade over Windows 7?
I'm still of the opinion windows 7 ain't broke, so no reason to fix it. If you plan to get a new computer around 2020 (Windows 7's "end of life" date), I'm of an opinion one might as well stick it out.

You might consider it if you're on 8 though, seems a little better. Some people are still making noises about the privacy/data mining concerns though, but really, I don't think MS is doing anything google isn't already doing without asking you. My big gripe with win 10 is the universal app stupidity, but that's not really a factor in this decision, I think.

Eriol

Eriol

My big gripe with win 10 is the universal app stupidity, but that's not really a factor in this decision, I think.
Which stuff? I know what a UA is, but which stupidity? Only releasing them on the win 10 store, difficulty of benchmarking such games, or what?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Which stuff? I know what a UA is, but which stupidity? Only releasing them on the win 10 store, difficulty of benchmarking such games, or what?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Brought to you by @internetofshit (which I just discovered today)

There are actual performance reasons why you might want to upgrade, but there are compatibility reasons why you might not. If you're going to use DX12, you MUST upgrade. Also, if you have a Skylake or newer processor, you also pretty much do not have a choice but to upgrade.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

That stuff, yeah.

Eriol

Eriol

The PC gamer article linked from that video gave the actual information.

Basically, as a consumer, having access to UWAs doesn't harm your machine in any way that I can tell, but they are inferior to normal Windows applications. Thus I wouldn't put the presence of that as a reason to not upgrade.

Long term, I agree with what was said about the dangers of a walled garden. That's why I use Android devices and not Apple. Particularly devices I can root! But I'm OK with that general idea of an app on Windows as long as I can "root-interact" as well.

From a technical and security perspective I actually like the WinRT interfaces for programs better, as you can definitively KNOW what types of things they are allowed to do, while normal Win32 (or .NET, same concern) applications can do anything they like. So I'd rather have most programs with app-like restrictions (in a domain you can do this with group policies, but that is super-advanced), but be able to run certain root-like features as well, and mess with the install directory, etc. Some of the decisions are moronic, like if you couldn't choose to install outside of program files. Idiotic decision. Basically, the platform isn't advanced enough yet.

figmentPez

figmentPez

UGH! Upgraded to Windows 10 only to find out that AMD doesn't support my video card. I can play games just fine, but I have no Catalyst Control Center, so I can't set options outside of the game, and the worst part is that I can't have it scale resolutions before passing things on to my monitor. Which means that most resolutions don't display right (even 1280x720, oddly enough.)

Guess I get to revert back to Win 7.

PatrThom

PatrThom

AMD doesn't support my video card.
What?
Is it a 4000-series or earlier? Everything from the 5000-series up until now should work in Windows 10. It might not be able to do DX12, but it should at least work.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

What?
Is it a 4000-series or earlier? Everything from the 5000-series up until now should work in Windows 10. It might not be able to do DX12, but it should at least work.
Radeon 4830.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Heaven help me, I'm gonna try to run the upgrade tonight while I still can for free (especially since I am running Win7Pro and so qualify for the $200 version). Gotta get my code validated before the deadline.
But I'm making an image backup first, just in case I want to revert and the process doesn't go so well.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

As of today (well, EVER really), do NOT use IE or Edge if you're on Windows 8 or above: https://www.perfect-privacy.com/blog/2016/08/01/security-issue-in-windows-leaks-login-data/

Basically, if they have an image embedded on what is a windows share, your computer will happily send your login data (password hashed) to the remote server. The problem is that NTLM has been broken for years, with every possible hash being "known" so it sends your windows login/password directly to the server. So if you're using a Microsoft Account as your account on your PC, you're hosed.

Chrome/Firefox/other not affected.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, crap. I just recently started using my MS account as Windows log-in because it's required for quite a few apps. And since I use Chrome and don't like her setting it to remember all of her passwords and the like, I have my GF use Edge all the time.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Or, you know, don't use your Microsoft account to log into your PC. Use a local account instead.
The same goes for Mac users...don't use your iCloud account to log into your Mac.
Yes, I know this will mean having to remember two passwords. Do it anyway, you'll thank me later.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

I didn't, and used a lcoal account. More and more apps simply won't work if you do, though. Don't ask me why.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm no Jack Byrnes, but if anything offers to automatically sign you into anything where you keep your personal data every time you go there, you should probably turn that off.

This includes Facebook. And Twitter. And all the Google-related services. Sign in when you use it, sign out when you're done.

--Patrick