Solar Flare Incoming, back up your shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, having just finished Assassin's Creed: Revelations, I am nervous.

(relevant part starts around 2:10)

I really, really doubt anything of substantial consequence will occur, but I'm still throwing important files onto my flash drive.

I really, really doubt anything of substantial consequence will occur, but I'm still throwing important files onto my flash drive.
Apparently this kind of thing caused some problems in 1972.

So either 1. Our increased dependence on electronics is going to be a hindrance or 2. Our improved technology will mean this isn't a big deal this time.

The people that will care are those dealing with radio and satellite communications. See GasBandit's recent post in the whine like a baby thread for a concrete example of what solar flares do.

You don't really need to worry about them until you see the northern lights - in the southern hemisphere.

Back in my teaching days, there was a bad solar storm. It knocked out pager communications for 2 days. Before each class I'd ask, "So how many of you cannot receive pages today?"

"Oh man, Mr. ______! mine has not worked all morning."

"Good, hand it over."

I took up like 10 pagers those 2 days.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Not worried. Only slightly peeved that I can't see the aurora borealis that have been promised for tonight from my hospital room.

Status
Not open for further replies.