South Africa 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there's going to be a few countries sending people to South Africa to kick a ball around this summer.

As an England supporter, I look forward to expectations inflated beyond all reasonable levels, followed by squeaking through the group stages, followed by a crushing defeat in the first knockout round, followed by months of scapegoating.

What about you guys?

C

Chazwozel

Apparently there's going to be a few countries sending people to South Africa to kick a ball around this summer.

As an England supporter, I look forward to expectations inflated beyond all reasonable levels, followed by squeaking through the group stages, followed by a crushing defeat in the first knockout round, followed by months of scapegoating.

What about you guys?

Having the World Cup hosted by South Africa is the worst idea since the Berlin Olympics.

What about you guys?

Having the World Cup hosted by South Africa is the worst idea since the Berlin Olympics.[/QUOTE]

Blame FIFA, who created a rule that the host site had to rotate through all the continents. Then, after they saw how bad it was going to be in Africa, repealed the rule effective after this one.

C

Chazwozel

What about you guys?

Having the World Cup hosted by South Africa is the worst idea since the Berlin Olympics.[/QUOTE]

Blame FIFA, who created a rule that the host site had to rotate through all the continents. Then, after they saw how bad it was going to be in Africa, repealed the rule effective after this one.[/QUOTE]

No one is going to go. That's the main problem. South Africa has a terrible crime rate. There's like a 50% chance of getting mugged on a given day.

Mexico is opening the Cup against the host South Africa. The team hasn't been in worse shape since... early 90s at least. If we pass the first round It'll be a miracle.

oh, and also:

THERE'S NOTHING FLOATING WEST OF ACAPULCO, YOU CHEATING KNAVE!!

C

Chazwozel

I can see this being successful. SA is a bit of a tourist destination and is the richest nation south of the Sahara.
SA is a lovely tourist destination if you like getting robbed at knifepoint, having a lovely stroll through sweltering hot gated rich communities, sweltering hot slums, or shot on a diamond beach.

I can see this being successful. SA is a bit of a tourist destination and is the richest nation south of the Sahara.
SA is a lovely tourist destination if you like getting robbed at knifepoint, having a lovely stroll through sweltering hot gated rich communities, sweltering hot slums, or shot on a diamond beach.[/QUOTE]

72 degrees is not sweltering, and it will likely get cooler there over the next month. It is winter after all. Crime is high, but the police work in tourist areas is decent. I imagine that they will be out in force too. If you wander onto a beach where they conduct diamond mining, it means you have gone past fences and razor-wire to get there.

Group A is a tough one to call there Calleja. I hope South Africa does well in their own country but I dont even see them getting past the group stages.
The best group match ups are going to be Group G with Brazil, Ivory Coast and Portugal. There is going to be some intense battles there.

I think Spain is going to do well, they have some serious possibilities of winning the cup.
Argentina may surprise us if Maradona gets his shit together. I support these two, I guess. I'd also like Mexico not to do too bad.

What the hell, why do you support Argentina over Mexico?!

what's weird is that I feel like a jealous sibling or something... "LIKE THIS COUNTRY YOU CONQUERED BETTER THAN THAT OTHER ONE HURRGH"

What the hell, why do you support Argentina over Mexico?!

what's weird is that I feel like a jealous sibling or something... "LIKE THIS COUNTRY YOU CONQUERED BETTER THAN THAT OTHER ONE HURRGH"
There, there, don't be angry :p
There's a few factors, the most relevant being the prominent players from the team I support (Barça) that play there. Actually, that's also like half the reason I support Spain. A reason I support Argentina is that Messi is like, unloved in his country just because Maradona's an ass and they blame the national team not working on Messi instead of the fatass. I want the dude to be happy. On the other hand, fuck Argentinians :mad:
A reason I support Mexico is because I think you'll be happy if they win some matches, or something. Uh... that's weird.

I don't know what I'm writing. I don't even know if it's undenstandable. Too tired, off to bed.

Stupid Argentina having better players.

Remember Hugo Sanchez at least!!

Oh.... wait.. you're a Barça supporter... never mind :paranoid:

I'm pulling for Germany.

Failing that I'm obligated to pull for Brazil, since I got so much crap for NOT loving Brazil when I went to Haiti that I feel like I have to list them as my 'second team' if such a thing exists.

Last world cup I had no idea about football (still don't have a finger on the pulse of international football, I will admit) and I rooted for Portugal for no good reason.

Yes, you were. And you're playing England for your first match, on the 12th of June.

No matter how the match turns out, there's going to be some gloating around here on the 13th!

Damn, Ballack's out of the World Cup. Thank Ghana for that.

Oh, yeah, whoever was pulling for Germany.... good luck now without their main star. tee hee.

The injury reports are starting to roll in. Rio Ferdinand's out for England (knee injury), while Didier Drogba's a major doubt with a broken arm. Also, Jozy Altidore of the US has an ankle injury, but he might make it.

I still can't believe Mexico beat Italy... THE CURRENT WORLD CHAMPION. Even if it was a friendly match, both teams are preparing for the world cup and both used their "main" teams... and we still won.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it looks like my initial pessimism was exaggerated... we're not as bad as I thought. I'm not saying we're gonna get past the second round, mind you, but I find myself HOPEFUL now. That was a great game.

C

Chazwozel

I still can't believe Mexico beat Italy... THE CURRENT WORLD CHAMPION. Even if it was a friendly match, both teams are preparing for the world cup and both used their "main" teams... and we still won.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it looks like my initial pessimism was exaggerated... we're not as bad as I thought. I'm not saying we're gonna get past the second round, mind you, but I find myself HOPEFUL now. That was a great game.

Dude North Korea is slated to win a couple?!??! What is the world coming to!??~~

I'm not sure if North Korea is slated to win a couple, but if it is it's against even weaker teams like Ghana or something... remember, not all participating zones have strong contenders so we get some pretty weak teams making the World Cup. If the US or even Mexico qualified in, say, Europe, we would never even get to go to the World Cup... but if the qualifying round were against teams in somewhere like Africa they'd be first place of their round every single time.

C

Chazwozel

You have to realize that the North Korean players are probably going to be killed if they come home losers...

Eh, the same has been said of lots of teams over the years. Remember the World Cup has happened during wars and cold wars and world wars and mafia wars and... wait, where was I?

More injuries, Dutchman Arjen Robben has a hamstring injury, while Nigeria's John Mikel Obi is out of the World Cup with a knee injury.

John Mikel Obi is interesting because he's the fourth player from Chelsea to go down injured, after Ballack, Essien and Drogba. Manchester United fans might be feeling just a little schadenfreude right now.

More injuries, Dutchman Arjen Robben has a hamstring injury, while Nigeria's John Mikel Obi is out of the World Cup with a knee injury.

John Mikel Obi is interesting because he's the fourth player from Chelsea to go down injured, after Ballack, Essien and Drogba. Manchester United fans might be feeling just a little schadenfreude right now.
Wait, really? Are clubs really taken into account during the WORLD CUP?

Down here we pretty much forget about club rivalries when the national team jersey is being worn....

Well, none of the injured Chelsea players are British, so national loyalties wouldn't stop Manchester United fans from delighting in their pain. Plus, this season Chelsea pipped Man Utd to the Premiership title, which is the main reason why Man Utd fans would be resentful towards Chelsea.

You're sorta reaching. Italy only played half their starting squad. The other half played Switzerland. It's also a friendly... against Mexico. Italy didn't really give a shit and it showed.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Eh, the same has been said of lots of teams over the years. Remember the World Cup has happened during wars and cold wars and world wars and mafia wars and... wait, where was I?
Go read what Saddam's son to the National team players after they lost. Try not to lose your appetite.

Whipped them thrown into a vat of sewage so that the sores can fester

Status
Not open for further replies.