South Africa 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netherlands should have been awarded a corner kick. The referee missed it and gave Spain the goal kick, then Spain scored a few minutes later. We can only wonder how things might have turned out if the Netherlands had an additional scoring opportunity during the 0-0 game.

Netherlands should have been awarded a corner kick. The referee missed it and gave Spain the goal kick, then Spain scored a few minutes later. We can only wonder how things might have turned out if the Netherlands had an additional scoring opportunity during the 0-0 game.
On the flip side, the Netherlands should have been a man down the entire second half for that drop kick to the chest by De Jong.

You know why the referee got that wrong? The Netherlands' players were talking to him, distracting him!

But anyway, what Piotyr and Calleja said.

Dave

Staff member
You know what, though? The paranoia about this event happening in South Africa never materialized. Aside from an incident or two which could have happened anywhere, the games went without a hitch (irrespective of the referees).

I am not an avid fan of soccer, but it seemed to me that the entire game yesterday was about drawing a foul to earn a free kick so the clubs could execute set plays. I still do not understand how this game is enjoyed by so many. Instead of fast breaks and exciting plays you had clutching, grabbing and complaining to the ref. Over the past decade I have steadily dropped my interest in the World Cup, in 2014 I may end up just watching the final game.

Dave

Staff member
And how many times has the Superbowl been a piece of shit game? A lot. Or the World Series a blowout? A lot.

Don't judge an entire sport over 1 game. The rest of the Cup was very exciting IMHO.

Actually this was a very ugly match because Holland wanted to win no matter how (even if we don't go into the karate kicks and such, Spain tried to play football whereas Holland just tried to disrupt their play through fouls) and also because they could do this kind of dirty play a lot more than usual because the referee was afraid to show red cards in such an important match.

Spain vs. Germany was the good one.

Germany vs Argentina was better entertainment, though.

Cause... man, how I love to see those gauchos getting their ass handed to them.

Well, people have noted that the German team this year was much more flamboyant than previous World Cup teams, with excellent thrust into the opposition's area as well as having wingers being able to get around the back and swing their balls in. Rarely caught offside, too.

I just saw that someone neg repped me for saying that there were ugly fouls by holland in the final. The message said that Spain commited more ugly (or uglier?) fouls.

:rofl:

Dang Tegid, you think that somebody can't see that the Dutch just came out to play hackball instead of futbol? Geez, talk about being blind to whom you are rooting for.

Seriously? The Dutch game plan was, quite literally, to kick the crap out of the Spanish players.
Pretty much, they played disruption 'football'. Basically no own strategy but just doing anything to make sure the opponent can't use their own.

I wonder if Laurent Blanc, the guy who will be taking over the French national team after the World Cup, will have the guts to say to this group of players, "Okay, you don't want to represent your country? Wish granted, all twenty three of you just started your international retirement."

Sure, France will suck for the next few years, but it'd be so worth it.
Update on the French. Laurent Blanc actually did what I suggested, for one game at least.

BBC Sport - Football - France World Cup squad suspended for Norway friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.