Star Trek TNG: Rascals 6x07 (17 years late...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dusty668

:wha: I followed the link and still have no idea what you are talking about. I saw no costumes, or cluetrails. Waiter, I need a quick round of cluebatting with a side of clarity please.

R

Rubicon

David said:
Who the * is this little kid wearing a Picard Halloween costume? I wanna strangle him :devil:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0083605/
Picard, Ro Laren and Guinan get transformed into young teenagers which leads them into some hijinks aboard the ship, such as Picard still trying to assume leadership or Guinan and Ro acting like kids, jumping on beds etc.

Alright episode but not one of their funnier comedy episodes imho.

S

Singularity.EXE

From that wiki article..

Also, Keiko is having some trouble of her own. Being a child now, it is hard for her husband, Miles, to accept the fact that she resembles the image of a twelve year old girl. He says that he will adjust...

Bowielee said:
David said:
Who the * is this little kid wearing a Picard Halloween costume? I wanna strangle him :devil:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0083605/
You've obviously seen that episode of ST:TNG, and also went to the length of looking up the actor on IMDb, so my question is, what, exactly is your point?
My point was that they could have gotten a better actor to play Picard as a kid. The one they had annoyed the hell out of me.

Every time I watch that episode I have a problem with it. Guinan is a lot older than Picard (we know for sure she was live in 1893 our time) but when they get turned into kids she is obviously younger than Picard.

GasBandit said:
That was kind of a shitty episode to me. No transporter accident would cause you to un-age.

Well according to memory alpha Ronald Moore didn't like the episode to begin with.

Ronald D. Moore commented: "When Michael bought the premise I thought he was completely insane: An Away Team rematerializes on the transporter as children — with adult minds! I tried again and again to bury this idea, which of course meant that I would get saddled with the inevitable rewrite when the script came in. I just thought it was a ludicrous idea and wanted nothing to do with it. That said, once I got the assignment, the professional writer in me had to commit to the material and do the best with it that I could, so I tried very hard to bring humor and humanity to the proceedings, chiefly through the Guinan/Ro story that I did end up liking in the end. I still cringe when I think of the episode (the Ferengi capture the Enterprise in a couple of broken down Birds of Prey???) but many people have told me how much they like it."

GasBandit said:
That was kind of a shitty episode to me. No transporter accident would cause you to un-age.
If they disassemble you then they could put you back together as a goat... well the atoms at least...

GasBandit

Staff member
@Li3n said:
GasBandit said:
If they disassemble you then they could put you back together as a goat... well the atoms at least...
Yes, because the computer (from the holodeck or whatever) has a pattern for a goat. They could use your component energy and reform it into a goat. Not your brain in a goat. Not your brain in a child version of yourself. A goat. There is no saved "pattern" for "picard as a child but with all of adult picard's memories and thought patterns intact."

GasBandit said:
@Li3n said:
GasBandit said:
Yes, because the computer (from the holodeck or whatever) has a pattern for a goat. They could use your component energy and reform it into a goat. Not your brain in a goat. Not your brain in a child version of yourself. A goat. There is no saved "pattern" for "Picard as a child but with all of adult Picard's memories and thought patterns intact."
That's why i said: "well the atoms at least"...

Of course as Trek computers can simulate a personality in full (The Doctor from Voy) they might not actually need to use a static pattern of a goat, and just be able to photoshop it... how it would actually fit a himan brain in the head of a goat... i'm thinking giant comic book brain lobe head... (granted, i'm not that deep into ST lore to know exactly how they justified the teleporter, so i could be wrong).

GasBandit

Staff member
They can't do that, since the computer doesn't know how to keep a goat body from rejecting a human head, much less "interface" the two systems together, because humans don't either. The computer has to use a complete pattern. Using incomplete patterns has often had wildly unpredictable results... often making whatever matter was transported come out warped or "runny."

GasBandit said:
They can't do that, since the computer doesn't know how to keep a goat body from rejecting a human head, much less "interface" the two systems together, because humans don't either. The computer has to use a complete pattern. Using incomplete patterns has often had wildly unpredictable results... often making whatever matter was transported come out warped or "runny."
eh, your argument is a bit beside the point. imo, the big factual problem with this episode is that the "glitch" is unrealistic. another transporter accident episode is always intolerable, but it is less palatable when the premise makes no sense; why does the computer mess up in such a fashion as to create children with adult minds?

in fact, that's a big problem with all the "transporter accident" episodes. Considering all the possible configurations of the atoms in transit the chances are basically a billion trillion to one against the result being anything other than a pile of slime.

GasBandit

Staff member
That was kinda my point, but alien had to trigger my "I know more trek tech than you, way more than any person should actually" conditioned response... so it veered off that way.

A "transporter accident" would 99.9% of the time result in the failure of anything at all to materialize. The rest of that 10th of a percent would be split between targeting issues (rematerializing inside something else, instant death), and partial rematerialization, ranging from a puddle of slime to a puddle of slime with the odd bodypart sticking out of it.

But yes, transporter accidents as plot instigators are a horrible crutch they abused many a time. Don't even get me started on the "there are now two rikers" episode.

GasBandit said:
But yes, transporter accidents as plot instigators are a horrible crutch they abused many a time. Don't even get me started on the "there are now two rikers" episode.
:puke:

GasBandit said:
This is the same computer that can make a self aware version of Moriarty based on nothing but a short description in a detective novel.... and it doesn't even lag...
And you're also assuming people in the future won't figure out how to put a human brain in a goat too... which is just naive....

And i'm not arguing against the fact that in RL a transporter that worked on those principles glitching would result in gooification.... just that unlikely (and stupid) != impossible....

GasBandit

Staff member
@Li3n said:
This is the same computer that can make a self aware version of Moriarty based on nothing but a short description in a detective novel.... and it doesn't even lag...
Making a personality simulation self aware is not a great leap. If anything, the computer has to work harder to keep the personalities ignorant of their own status. The big hurdle was turning data into a believable personality, and that threshold has already been mantled.

And you're also assuming people in the future won't figure out how to put a human brain in a goat too... which is just naive....
Nowhere in any star trek canon have they ever discussed the capability to graft human brains into animals. In fact, that exact sort of experimentation and practice would be extremely illegal under several federation laws, not the least of which is the law against genetic modification.

fade

Staff member
In fact, MIT's AI experts have predicted sentience within 40 years. And there have been some borderline sentience cases already, though the software tends to basically learn itself insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.