CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Star Wars: Revenge of the Lens Flares

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It's kinda sad they passed on Affleck.

Frank

Frank

At least it's not being written by Orci and Kurtzman. I don't think I can handle them shitting on anything else I cherished as a child.

Abrams is an incredibly safe choice.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Any news on plot? That'll affect whether I want to see it more than the director.

strawman

strawman

Stop being so reasonable and start ranting, man! This is a forum!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oops, m'bad.

Ahem.

WTF why is freaking JJ Abrhams directing this? I don't want Lost: In Space, if I wanted to watch that I'd just watch Lost In Space. Except Lost in Space is nothing like Lost, now that I think about it, but that's beside the point. JJ directed Star Trek too and now he's directing Star Wars? How the hell does that make any sense? What, are we going to see a lightsaber fight between Spock and Chewie now? I'll bet we are, aren't we? And I'll tell you why that's utterly retarded, it's because Chewie can't use a lightsaber to fight with any sort of competence, because lightsabers have weightless blades, so unless you're Force-sensitive and have had tons of training, chances are you'll end up cutting your own arm off on your first swing. Chewie using a lightsaber is the worst idea ever, I can't believe Abrams came up with something so brainless. I mean sure, Han used a lightsaber briefly in Episode 5, but that wasn't in combat, he just used it to cut open the Tauntaun so he could keep Luke warm. And by the way, Luke pretty much only got attacked by the Wampa to explain why Mark Hamill got a scar on his chin. Did JJ Abrams know that? Huh? I don't see him talking about anything that would show he's a Star Wars fan. He doesn't know anything about the backstory, or the background, or the extended universe, which makes him completely unqualified to direct Episode 7. I mean, he probably doesn't even know what the Sun Crusher is, never mind the New Jedi Order or the Yuuzhan Vong. And I'll tell you what, Episode 7 better have Ganner Rhysode's last stand in the movie, because that's such an epic part of Star Wars lore, it'd be a travesty to leave it out. I don't care if Ganner Rhysode doesn't exist in the new movie continuity, because Ganner Rhysode is awesome, your argument is invalid. Leaving him out would be, like, one step below the Holocaust in terms of evil. Which reminds me, Episode 7 should also address the holocaust that befell Endor after the second Death Star blew up in orbit. I'm not gonna link all the data, but suffice to say all the Ewoks should be dead in a month. If there are any Ewoks in Episode 7 I'm going to be very disappointed. Oh, and what's Episode 7 gonna be called, anyway? JJ Abrams hasn't even come up with a title for it, and you already give him the director job? PUHLEEZ.

Tress

Tress

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Any news on plot? That'll affect whether I want to see it more than the director.
Being written by the guy who did Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3 and helped with Brave. That's about all I know.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Being written by the guy who did Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3 and helped with Brave. That's about all I know.
Yeah, I guess that might not be too bad, but I'm still curious about what they're going to do in terms of characters, plot, continuity etc. Are Luke and Han and Leia and Chewie coming back? Are they using anything from the EU? Are they really bringing back Vader? This is the kind of news I'll be more interested in, in the coming months.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If they're using the old mains from IV/V/VI, it's either recast them or place it decades after the end of VI. Recasting is going to start a shitstorm the likes of which has never been seen.

bhamv3

bhamv3

If they're using the old mains from IV/V/VI, it's either recast them or place it decades after the end of VI. Recasting is going to start a shitstorm the likes of which has never been seen.
Honestly, no matter what they do, it's going to cause a shitstorm.

Personally I think their best bet is to go for something like the Clone Wars series; set the movies in the Star Wars universe, but tell stories that aren't necessarily related to our main cast. The Stars Wars universe is incredibly deep and rich, there are lots of stories that could be told.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I feel like moving forward in the numerated series means it has to tie into the Skywalker group somehow, even if it's the Solo children and Lowbacca. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's much point in making it episode VII.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I feel like moving forward in the numerated series means it has to tie into the Skywalker group somehow, even if it's the Solo children and Lowbacca. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's much point in making it episode VII.
I agree. Calling it Episode 7 means it'll almost certainly tie in with the main cast of the previous 6 episodes. I'm saying they shouldn't have called it Episode 7, they should just say "we're making new Star Wars movies" and left it there. That gives them a lot more freedom to tell whatever stories they want.

Hmm, I'm being awfully reasonable here. I think I may need to rant again soon.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Isn't the plan that Han Solo (played by Harrison Ford) will be in it, only to be killed off?

Edit: Never mind. Just that Harrison Ford would be willing to.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm taking the Abrams thing with a grain of salt for now. Already had one hoax pulled about a director, so waiting for a real press release isn't going to hurt me.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm taking the Abrams thing with a grain of salt for now. Already had one hoax pulled about a director, so waiting for a real press release isn't going to hurt me.
Just saw it on my local news.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Just saw it on my local news.
And... anything from Disney, Lucasfilm or anything that isn't based off of a twitter feed? We've all seen people give a huge push on something that they are assured is going to happen, and then it doesn't. I'm willing to wait, if it's true, great, I think he'll do a good job, if not, I haven't gotten my hopes up.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If they are going to have this out in 2 years, they better get crack-a-lackin'

So JJ is likely the director, and they will be in a real freaking hurry to get this done. I hope that there has already been a rough sketch for this story already done. Not to mention the length of time it will take to do all the effects shots.

Calleja

Calleja

I wasn't convinced about the Abrams thing, I was very much in the "Will believe it when they confirm it" camp.. but them Simon Pegg himself publicly congratulated him on twitter... and Pegg is not only not the type who would feed hype for no reason, he's also been working with Abrams for 2 Star Trek movies (and worked with him for Mission Impossible, too), so I'm kinda now leaning towards they definitely true camp.

I'm really nervous about this.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Who's willing to bet that he'll rewind the entire storyline by having a future Death Star appear and blowing Tatooine to pieces before Anakin is born? ;)

Gusto

Gusto

Who's willing to bet that he'll rewind the entire storyline by having a future Death Star appear and blowing Tatooine to pieces before Anakin is born? ;)
And transports the future Darth Vader to a nearby planet so he can watch?

Calleja

Calleja

I am. As much flak as Abrams get, you can never say the guy's repetitive. (except for the lens flares)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Yeah... I just find it oddly terrifying. All the flak he got from the Trek movie... and now Star Wars?

I can just imagine J.J.Abrams sitting in his comfortable black leather chair, rubbing his fingers together as he laughs maniacally. First Star Trek, now Star Wars... then he only needs to grab Stargate, and his task is complete. The screams of the nerds will then provide enough power for his Doomsday Gun...

Tress

Tress

Let's just accept the fact that Trekkies and hardcore Star Wars geeks will never be happy with anything, and will always bitch about everything, okay? That way we won't be surprised when it inevitably happens, and the rest of us can (maybe) enjoy the movies in peace.

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah... I just find it oddly terrifying. All the flak he got from the Trek movie... and now Star Wars?

I can just imagine J.J.Abrams sitting in his comfortable black leather chair, rubbing his fingers together as he laughs maniacally. First Star Trek, now Star Wars... then he only needs to grab Stargate, and his task is complete. The screams of the nerds will then provide enough power for his Doomsday Gun...
He got a lot of flak but he also got A LOT of praise. I think he handled Star Trek brilliantly... he found the perfect way to bring in new people and ALSO make the staunch trekkers happy. I also hear way way more positive stuff than complaints about new Star Trek, seriously like in a 10 to 1 ratio, and I'm friends with lots of very whiny trekkies.

We still have to wait for Star Trek 2, though, that could very well be a train wreck.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Let's just accept the fact that Trekkies and hardcore Star Wars geeks will never be happy with anything, and will always bitch about everything, okay? That way we won't be surprised when it inevitably happens, and the rest of us can (maybe) enjoy the movies in peace.
At least it can't be any worse than the prequels.

Calleja

Calleja

At least it can't be any worse than the prequels.
That's literally what stopped my WHAT!?-blowup seconds after I found out about the Disney/Lucasfilm thing.

It was a WHAAAAAT HOW CAN---- oh, ok, it can't be worse than the prequels, let 'em do it.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Kris Straub sums up my feelings (from http://chainsawsuit.com/)

i wasn’t crazy about abrams’ star trek, but it’s not really his fault. TOS was never really my thing, and i felt like the movie was counter to everything i like about star trek — except what i liked about star trek (talky, philosophical space melodrama) was killing the franchise. it just didn’t feel like my star trek anymore. it felt like slickly-written fanfic dressed up with some action sequences thrown on top because talking is boring.
that said, that’s exactly what i like about star wars, so he’s a good fit and will probably kill it

Calleja

Calleja

That *IS* true, if Abrams Trek would have been a TNG thing and he'd gone the action flick route with it, I would have been piiiiiiissed.

But TOS always felt more *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* to me.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's literally what stopped my WHAT!?-blowup seconds after I found out about the Disney/Lucasfilm thing.

It was a WHAAAAAT HOW CAN---- oh, ok, it can't be worse than the prequels, let 'em do it.
I can't find the post right now, but when the thread announcing the buyout was posted here, my response was literally: "Disney can't possibly do any more damage to the Star Wars brand than Lucas already has."[DOUBLEPOST=1359141352][/DOUBLEPOST]I also loved the hell out of the JJA Star Trek movie and pretty much grew up watching the original series. I even remember watching the cartoon.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm sure I've said this before, but I've cared for Star Wars since the end of the prequels. I might see this. I certainly won't rule it out, but I'm feeling totally ambivalent about the whole thing.

@Li3n

@Li3n

But TOS always felt more *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* to me.
Not true, TOS had plenty of talky philosophical stuff, it's just that TNG crammed even more of it in by doing less of the *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* (and space chick banging).

The only thing in new Trek that did the same talky thing as TOS was old Spock speechifying... the balance was all off imo.

except what i liked about star trek (talky, philosophical space melodrama) was killing the franchise.
No, if Enterprise s4 (and the mirror universe episodes) proved anything is that an overwrought time travel storyline was killing the franchise... it's funny how the show only got truly good after it was cancelled.

AS for SW... yeah, they can't be worse then the prequels...

Calleja

Calleja

Not true, TOS had plenty of talky philosophical stuff, it's just that TNG crammed even more of it in by doing less of the *awkward fight choreography with awesome music* (and space chick banging)
Did you just start with "Not true" and then proceeded to agree 100% with my point? I never said TOS did NOT have talky-philosophical things, just that it had MORE *awkward fight choreography with awesome music*... you disagreed with me and then re-stated (albeit better) my point.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Did you just start with "Not true" and then proceeded to agree 100% with my point?

Considering what the conversation is about, and the part of your post i cut out, you made it seem like you where saying that TOS had as little (or close enough) talky parts as the new ST...

I guess what i was saying is that it was too much action, not enough talk even for TOS... while you where obviously satisfied with it.

I mean i enjoyed the film, but not as much as my non-trek-knowledgeable friends.

Calleja

Calleja

Well there we go.

Let the lens flare jokes begin continue ad nauseam.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Well there we go.

Let the lens flare jokes begin continue ad nauseam.
What do you think the lightsabers are going to look like now? A giant lens flare on a hilt! :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

What do you think the lightsabers are going to look like now? A giant lens flare on a hilt! :p
jj_abrams_star_wars_star_trek_crossovers.jpg

EDIT: Just to be clear, I didn't make this image, it came up in a GIS for "J.J. Abrams Star Wars".

fade

fade

Yeah, this is more or less how I felt, too. I enjoyed the new movie, but they really did take the "Trek" out of it, dumbed it down, and actioned it up. Where was the moral play/philosophy? That's what always set Trek apart.

KCWM

KCWM

JJA's take on Star Trek was really well done, IMHO. I tried watching TOS recently and felt it was painful. I enjoy the movies, to a certain extent, but I've never been thrilled about a TOS or TNG movie. I saw the JJA movie multiple times in the theater.

That being said, Trekkies might have a reputation that's a running joke where some are concerned, but they don't hold a candle to the vitriol and filth that comes out of the Star Wars fanbase. I'm excited about the director choice, but I'll keep my expectations realistic about the movie.

Tress

Tress

New Star Wars films are ripe for one of my least favorite fan reactions ever: the "I'm angry and bitter because it didn't turn out the way I imagined it in my head" reaction. I just have a feeling there's going to be a lot of angst about how some things won't turn out the way that some fans wanted it to be if they designed the movies themselves.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

New Star Wars films are ripe for one of my least favorite fan reactions ever: the "I'm angry and bitter because it didn't turn out the way I imagined it in my head" reaction. I just have a feeling there's going to be a lot of angst about how some things won't turn out the way that some fans wanted it to be if they designed the movies themselves.

You'd figure this would be tempered by three prequels that already fit that bill.

Espy

Espy

I have a feeling that I love the Abrams Trek flick because I'm not a big fan of the shows and haven't been exposed to much of them.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If they have two Jedi brofist with the force from across the galaxy, I'm suing them for ripping off my fanfic.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I am going to post a Star Wars fanfic on my nascent tumblr just so I can do this.

Calleja

Calleja

I have a feeling that I love the Abrams Trek flick because I'm not a big fan of the shows and haven't been exposed to much of them.
Nah, I admittedly started late, but I consider myself a full-blown trekkie/trekker (don't get me started on that name debate though) now and loved the film.

Espy

Espy

Well thats good to know.

Calleja

Calleja

Well thats good to know.
I really, really recommend you give The Next Generation a go on Netflix... I know it's a bit scary seeing so many fucking episodes, but I can link to you an "essential season" which is how I've gotten several friends hooked... it's a list of must-watch episodes spanning the entire series that sort of feel like one season (barring the age differences as you skip ahead in years, heh) and by the end you've pretty much been exposed to every character's story, main plot elements and what not. After those 24 eps you can literally jump onto almost any episode in the 7 year run and never feel lost. That's pretty cool.

Espy

Espy

Thats probably what I've watched the most of, and it was good, it just didn't... grab me I guess?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

TNG has a few good episodes, but sucks overall.

Deep Space 9 owns and is kind of The Wire in space and I love it from episode 1 forward. I'm near end S1 and people tell me it only gets better.

Calleja

Calleja

Wow, we must have seen different series or you caught just some bad episodes or something, The Next Generation blew me away several times. Literally going the rest of the day after some episodes in quasi-trance thinking about moral implications, philosophical quandaries, fucking questioning what makes a human human... few series have gotten to me so deeply.

You know that feeling of detachedness from reality you sometimes get after spending hours with a book that really grabbed your brain? I got that several times with a single ep of TNG.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I love me some TNG, but there are some really bad episodes.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I just don't have the patience to fully watch a show with that many bad episodes. And I also am too....completist to skip around.

strawman

strawman

TNG has a few good episodes, but sucks overall.

Deep Space 9 owns and is kind of The Wire in space and I love it from episode 1 forward. I'm near end S1 and people tell me it only gets better.
Politics fueled a ton of DS9's tension. Interpersonal stuff.

Interesting "discoveries' fueled a ton of TNG's tension. Impersonal stuff.

The Wire has many more similarities with DS9 than TNG.

I'm guessing you enjoyed The West Wing to some degree, but weren't a big fan of early ER?

Covar

Covar

I just don't have the patience to fully watch a show with that many bad episodes. And I also am too....completist to skip around.
Don't worry, DS9 has its share of stinkers.

Necronic

Necronic

View attachment 10041

EDIT: Just to be clear, I didn't make this image, it came up in a GIS for "J.J. Abrams Star Wars".
Notice that the drawing doesn't really look like the actors that played them. It's the original poster that (I've heard) was made before Luke and Leia was cast.

I own it nbd (any value was ruined because the previous owner pasted it to a board, but it looks awesome)

Frank

Frank

I love the original Trek series. It was so ahead of it's time compared to the rest of the shit that was sci-fi when it was made.

Balance of Terror is not only one of the best bits of Star Trek to exist, but is probably better than almost any of the future Trek episodes and movies. I was always bummed that more wasn't made of it in the Trek movies.

bhamv3

bhamv3

TNG has the Picard Maneuver, therefore is awesome.

(The shirt pull, not the starship tactic)

Calleja

Calleja

TNG is also the inspiration for the anti-jumpingtheshark phrase, "Growing a beard".

Cause we all know Riker's beard automagically made the series a good 42% better.

Tress

Tress

Cause we all know Riker's beard automagically made the series a good 42% better.
About 42% manlier, too.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ryker with his beard was kinda instrumental to my coming out process...

Dat Beard...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was just about to ask if anyone wanted to see the picture of the time me and Ryker touched beards, but I don't think the forum could handle it now.*

*Also, it doesn't exist.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I was just about to ask if anyone wanted to see the picture of the time me and Ryker touched beards, but I don't think the forum could handle it now.*

*Also, it doesn't exist.
In this modern era, there is no such thing as a photo that doesn't exist.

Minions! Launch the Photoshop!

fade

fade

Ryker with his beard was kinda instrumental to my coming out process...

Dat Beard...
You know, I asked my wife if she thought he was good looking. I don't see it. I mean, I appreciate an attractive man, but I thought there must be something I'm missing.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The beard was an upgrade. He just has too much going on with his chin/jawline that needed to be covered up.

strawman

strawman

I always thought he simply looked like a child without the beard. The beard simply defined him as a man.

Risks of a baby face.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Adam

Adam

I was a little concerned when they confirmed Abrams directing Star Wars. And then I recognized that he basically had turned Star Trek into Star Wars so I'm less concerned.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder if any of the original cast besides Anthony Daniels will get walk-on cameos or more.

Then will it be recast Luke, Leia etc. or the original actors playing the parents of the new crop heroes.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hey, Tattooine's got two suns.

That means TWICE the lens flare!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Psht, that's nothing. Lightsabers give off light. Imagine the lens flare potential there!

The battle at the end of Episode 2, with the hundreds of Jedi? That could've been nothing but lens flare, you know.

(And probably would've improved that scene)

strawman

strawman

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

My God, it's full of lens flare...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

can we make lens flare jokes bannable

BananaHands

BananaHands

Is no one talking about Voyager and goddamn Janeway?

Show wasn't perfect, but I dug it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

can we make lens flare jokes bannable
It is just too bad we can't ban CGI lens flare.

Adam

Adam

It is just too bad we can't ban Janeway.

BananaHands

BananaHands

It is just too bad we can't ban Janeway.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wish she would have acted more naturally in the show, instead of doing a 4 year impression of Kate Hepburn.

BananaHands

BananaHands

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This information pleases me, for reasons I can't really talk about sadly.

Now when I talk to my friends I can be "Yup, I helped make that movie possible." :cool:

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm one of the few people that liked Voyager over DS9 (I liked it better when it was called Babylon 5 and done by the guy who actually pitched the idea :p ).

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm one of the few people that liked Voyager over DS9 (I liked it better when it was called Babylon 5 and done by the guy who actually pitched the idea :p ).
I have a confession, but my wife and I loved Voyager. It's the only one out of the various Star Trek series that we actually will watch all the way through. The others were always hit or miss some seasons.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I, too, enjoy Voyager. Mostly because of everything else than Janeway. But I still consider DS9 superior of the two shows. High drama, Klingons, bumbling Ferengi, massive schemes, awesome space battles... all they needed was Seven of Nine's ass to blow my brainpan.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The main reason I liked Voyager over DS9 (other than the aforementioned idea theft) was that it was closer to the spirit of TOS and TNG in that it was a ship out exploring unexplored territory.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

The main reason I liked Voyager over DS9 (other than the aforementioned idea theft) was that it was closer to the spirit of TOS and TNG in that it was a ship out exploring unexplored territory.
True, true. Some of my favourite episodes are those when they are just out in space, encountering strange new phenomena. Like the region of space where there were no stars visible; Harry Kim sitting on the bridge alone, playing his instrument (can't remember the English name for it right now), that was one quite touching scene.

As a show building up the different cultures and alien races of the Alpha Quadrant, however, DS9 is a tough challenger to beat.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm still of the mind that the main reason people hate on Voyager is the "wussification" of the Borg.

Frank

Frank

That and episodes like Threshold too.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That and episodes like Threshold too.
Badly written episode, but on the other hand, it did win an Emmy for outstanding makeup effects.

Frank

Frank

Polishing a turd still leaves a turd.

Threshold is worse than Spock's Brain and Spock's Brain might as well be an Ed Wood movie.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm still of the mind that the main reason people hate on Voyager is the "wussification" of the Borg.
I don't think the show wussified the Borg. Hell, I think they made them even more fucking terrifying. Well, save for the Deus Ex Machina final episode... but somehow the idea of a millennia-old collective emotionlessly harvesting both civilizations and individuals, adding them as mindless drones to their numberless ranks of terrifying drone troopers flying around in ships that are only a hairbreadth short of indestructible* is not my idea of "wussy".

My personal issue with Voyager was that some of the main characters were about as engaging and interesting as a half-eaten piece of toast. Janeway and Neelix, mainly. I'd also list Tuvok, but being stoic and unemotional is kind of the Vulcans' hat.

*Unless you're Species 8472.

Frank

Frank

I don't think Voyager wussifed the borg by themselves. First Contact started that ball rolling with the queen.

fade

fade

I couldn't get past the annoying Dax character on DS9. She was just off-putting. WE GET IT. You used to be a dude. Congratulations.

Frank

Frank

She used to be several dudes and chicks too.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I thought she was funny... especially when she started flirting with Worf. "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" is still one of my favourite episodes, mainly for Bashir going "you know what, I don't even want to know" when first Quark and his crush, and then Worf and Jadzia show up at the clinic, all banged up and smiling in a way that just screams "I just got laid" :D

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I didn't mind Threshold as an episode, but it did annoy the crap out of me that for most episodes after that, I couldn't stop thinking "My god... you two had amphibian sex..." whenever Janeway and Paris were on the screen together.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I liked Dax.

Or maybe I just liked Terry Farell.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Necronic

Necronic

Dax was an awesome character. Also the day there is an episode like "In the Pale Moonlight" or "All Good Things" for Voyager is the day I consider it to be part of the franchise.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Next you're going to be telling me that there will be actual sets. Or a plot. IT'S MADNESS!

Espy

Espy

Episode VII is supposedly going to focus on the new Galactic Congress and how Luke and Leia are both elected to it and have to deal with all the red tape to actually get a bill passed. WITH LENS FLARES.

Thats the current rumor.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Episode VII is supposedly going to focus on the new Galactic Congress and how Luke and Leia are both elected to it and have to deal with all the red tape to actually get a bill passed. WITH LENS FLARES.

Thats the current rumor.
With Jar Jar Binks providing the necessary street cred, I presume?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

According to this article, the new Star Wars movies are going to be mostly origin stories.

The article said:
Now that Disney has the entire Star Wars universe at their fingertips, what new stories will they tell? At a recent investor conference, CFO Jay Rasulo revealed that the company — like George Lucas before them — has decided to use the infinite possibilities of the Star Wars universe to tell a bunch of stories about characters we've already seen before. According to Rasulo, each spin-off will serve as an "origin story film" revealing the past of a Star Wars character — because everybody loved when they did that for Darth Vader, right?
I hope these are just rumors, because I want some new stuff in the SW Universe, not more of the same.

bhamv3

bhamv3

According to this article, the new Star Wars movies are going to be mostly origin stories.

I hope these are just rumors, because I want some new stuff in the SW Universe, not more of the same.
It would, perhaps help deal with any EU contradictions, since the EU mainly focuses on what comes after.

But yeah, the last time they tried to tell Vader's origin story, it didn't go too swimmingly.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Sounds like they are applying the Avengers formula to me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It would, perhaps help deal with any EU contradictions, since the EU mainly focuses on what comes after.
You'll be lucky if the movies even reference anything from the EU.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I know. :(

At least I can still hold my copies of Young Jedi Knights close while I rock myself to sleep. :(

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I know. :(

At least I can still hold my copies of Young Jedi Knights close while I rock myself to sleep. :(
*pulls you into a close, warm embrace...then whispers gently into your ear...*

"Nerrrrrrrrrrrrd."

bhamv3

bhamv3

*pulls you into a close, warm embrace...then whispers gently into your ear...*

"Nerrrrrrrrrrrrd."
I like Tenel Ka and I cannot lie.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just wish that they would move on fromt he main folks and just do something new entirely. The SW universe is huge, but if you'd go by most stuff involving it, there are only about 10 people in the universe who matter at all.

That's one of the reasons that KOTOR was such a hit. We got away from Luke, Leia, Darth Vader and all that and moved on to fresh new characters and stories.

At the very least,if they are going to retread old ground, they could make Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade actual cannon for the movie universe.

Espy

Espy

So who is gonna play Han Solo? Zac Efron? Ohgodihopseso!!!!!!!!!!111

Bowielee

Bowielee

So who is gonna play Han Solo? Zac Efron? Ohgodihopseso!!!!!!!!!!111
Ryan Gosling. :p

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Egoraptor_face.jpg

bhamv3

bhamv3

This just in, Han Solo inexplicably spends most of the movie topless. Female moviegoers not complaining.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How? he's older than Harrison Ford when the film was made.

Espy

Espy

Justin Beiber would make a great Han Solo.

strawman

strawman

Gusto

Gusto

I don't know what his acting chops are like, but getting the dude who plays Peeta in the Hunger Games might be a decent pick.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Channing Tatum is Han Solo.

And,
I just wish that they would move on fromt he main folks and just do something new entirely. The SW universe is huge, but if you'd go by most stuff involving it, there are only about 10 people in the universe who matter at all..
YES! I would like to see something like this too. Especially something in realm of KOTOR. No Yodas or Wookies or Ewoks.

strawman

strawman

No Yodas or Wookies or Ewoks.
ALL GUNGAN, ALL THE TIME.

Covar

Covar

Espy

Espy

Channing Tatum is Han Solo.
Wait, what if Beiber played young Han and then Channing played late teen Han after he starts dancing against rival dance teams?

Covar

Covar

Wait, what if Beiber played young Han and then Channing played late teen Han after he starts dancing against rival dance teams?
:sohappy:

strawman

strawman

:minionhappy:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Not sure what a 'Gungan' is. Sorry.

I totally know what they are, but like a rectal prolapse, I wish I did not have knowledge of either phenomena.

fade

fade

I will not, thank you.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If it culminates in a stormtrooper vs rebellion dance battle....I will be there day one.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If it culminates in a stormtrooper vs rebellion dance battle....I will be there day one.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Look, I hate to break it to you, but it's not going to be Bieber. Look at who's playing "son of Ford" in other Lucas movie series. Search your heaet, you know it to be true. Shia Leboeuf will be Han Solo Jr.

Also, as I had read the news, they were on one hand going to make a third, "final" trilogy, and on the other hand, spin-off movies based on side characters/origins/etc. We'll see.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Heh, I got a hug for the rectal prolapse comment! I worked in a hospital during my undergrad years. I also saw a bed sore that went all the way to the sacrum. Fun times.

I am not really interested in Han Solo's origin. It doesn't matter to me as much. I don't care how he met Chewbacca or how he became a smuggler or how he won the Falcon from Calrissian, etc. It's not really compelling.

Yoda's origin might be kind of cool, but I don't want to see him flipping CGI-style all over the place again.

Origin stories generally stink overall. IMO.

I think the Dark Empire story might be cool. It's decent. The Thrawn series was also okay.

Shawn

Shawn

Han Solo's Origin Movie Breakdown

1) Han Solo is born.

2) We establish that Han Solo is a nice guy who helps others for no compensation to himself.

3) Someone tells him "You should be a sexy asshole instead"

4) He agrees.

5) Role credits.

strawman

strawman

2) We establish that Han Solo is a nice guy who helps others for no compensation to himself.
That completely destroys the whole "Han Solo changed for the better/redeemed himself" line.

What we really need is an origin story where he jetisons smuggled orphans from the cargo hold prior to an inspection to make the about-face even more impressive.

Keep in mind he only took the job (after turning it down once) because of his trouble with the bounty hunters courtesy Jaba. He had to leave the planet quickly either way. It could be with a cheap job, or no job. If the bounty hunters hadn't shown up he would have simply stuck around until he found a more lucrative job, or his hideout was discovered, ignoring the old guy and his boy tagalong.

He was a rogue, a scoundrel, and that's the way he liked it.

He was trapped when he was taken into the death star. He had to work with his clients to even have a slim chance of escape, and he only continued because there was a slim chance he could make enough money off the princess rescue to repay his debt to Jaba - and he did make that much money.

Suddenly free of his debts, he finally had some choices in his life that weren't constrained by his prior mistakes in life. And he chose to join with the people who had actually befriended this terrible person. In part, no doubt, because he had some feelings for the princess.

Yes, the story was really a coming-of-age for a gifted child, but it was also a story of redemption, and echoed the story of Anakin/Vader in his about-face.

Han Solo's origin story would only be interesting if he started out a good person trying to do well, and then became trapped, whether by his own hand, others, or circumstance, in a pit of unending turmoil that eventually spit out the bad guy he was at the beginning of IV.

Given that the studio could use the origin story to fundamentally change what happened in later stories by altering his character, I'd prefer they didn't touch it, because Lucas has obviously softened over the years, and Disney is not going to be any better. They can't have an origin story with an unhappy ending, and the Real Han Solo's origin was not and could not have been happy.

He shot first, despite what the edit says.

Shawn

Shawn

That completely destroys the whole "Han Solo changed for the better/redeemed himself" line.

What we really need is an origin story where he jetisons smuggled orphans from the cargo hold prior to an inspection to make the about-face even more impressive.

Keep in mind he only took the job (after turning it down once) because of his trouble with the bounty hunters courtesy Jaba. He had to leave the planet quickly either way. It could be with a cheap job, or no job. If the bounty hunters hadn't shown up he would have simply stuck around until he found a more lucrative job, or his hideout was discovered, ignoring the old guy and his boy tagalong.

He was a rogue, a scoundrel, and that's the way he liked it.

He was trapped when he was taken into the death star. He had to work with his clients to even have a slim chance of escape, and he only continued because there was a slim chance he could make enough money off the princess rescue to repay his debt to Jaba - and he did make that much money.

Suddenly free of his debts, he finally had some choices in his life that weren't constrained by his prior mistakes in life. And he chose to join with the people who had actually befriended this terrible person. In part, no doubt, because he had some feelings for the princess.

Yes, the story was really a coming-of-age for a gifted child, but it was also a story of redemption, and echoed the story of Anakin/Vader in his about-face.

Han Solo's origin story would only be interesting if he started out a good person trying to do well, and then became trapped, whether by his own hand, others, or circumstance, in a pit of unending turmoil that eventually spit out the bad guy he was at the beginning of IV.

Given that the studio could use the origin story to fundamentally change what happened in later stories by altering his character, I'd prefer they didn't touch it, because Lucas has obviously softened over the years, and Disney is not going to be any better. They can't have an origin story with an unhappy ending, and the Real Han Solo's origin was not and could not have been happy.

He shot first, despite what the edit says.
So... essentially... isn't Episode 4 ALREADY his Origin Story?

strawman

strawman

So... essentially... isn't Episode 4 ALREADY his Origin Story?
Heh, in a way, sure. But if that's the case then everyone has multiple origin stories, and only the most recent one matters at any given point in their life. This would suggest that Han Solo has a good --> bad story that happened prior to IV, and that there's another possible good --> bad after VI that we don't know about (only counting the movies, anyway).

Which one would be his true "origin"?

blotsfan

blotsfan

jeez I figured youd be the last person Id have to explain this to but:
When a mommy and daddy love each other very much...

strawman

strawman

:eek:

Shawn

Shawn

Heh, in a way, sure. But if that's the case then everyone has multiple origin stories, and only the most recent one matters at any given point in their life. This would suggest that Han Solo has a good --> bad story that happened prior to IV, and that there's another possible good --> bad after VI that we don't know about (only counting the movies, anyway).

Personally? It would more likely be the one that had the most significant effect on his life. What are most origin stories? Typically they are reserved for super heroes for the moment they receive their powers. Why? Because seeing the "origin" of normal people will probably be long and boring. No one just suddenly wakes up and decides to be a rogue like Han Solo. His life was likely full of events and choices that brought him to be the scoundrel he was. The only significant point in his life that clearly marks him as who he was, and who he is deep down would be Episode 4 when he suddenly stops thinking about himself and does the right thing. Steve Rogers is an interesting character, but I don't honestly want to see a movie that takes place before Captain America: The First Avenger. I can imagine that a Han Solo movie would involve him screwing around with The Empire and being a bad-ass, but what would be accomplished? We'd put more detail into a past that we already kind of have a basic understanding of, and honestly, as the last three movies have shown it just doesn't work.

Espy

Espy

Let's have origin stories of their origin stories, prequels within prequels! I mean, come on, there's a LOT of senate debate we haven't seen yet. Probably hundreds of years of it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If they do a true to source material Han Solo origin story, Frank Herbert's family would likely sue, since it would be about smuggling spice.

strawman

strawman

They'd just change spice to midichlorians anyway.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He killed younglings!

Shawn

Shawn

He killed younglings!
One of my favorite Han Solo stories is from one of the Star Wars Tales issues where he keeps bringing a Correllian Cruiser through an Emperial check-point. The Commander of the check-point knows something is up, and keeps having the ship searched top-to-bottom. But they come up with no contraband. On the third fly-through the commander is absolutely astonished by the fact that sweeps of Han's Cruiser come up with zilch, even after has the entire interior stripped apart. But, just as Han gets through the check-point that third time, the commander realizes he's never seen Han Solo come back through the check-point in the opposite direction. Han's been smuggling ships!!!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I've read these: http://www.amazon.com/The-Han-Solo-Adventures-Revenge/dp/0345379802
I got them at Star Tours back in the day. They were all right, but I wouldn't necessarily want to make a movie out of them.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

One of my favorite Han Solo stories is from one of the Star Wars Tales issues where he keeps bringing a Correllian Cruiser through an Emperial check-point. The Commander of the check-point knows something is up, and keeps having the ship searched top-to-bottom. But they come up with no contraband. On the third fly-through the commander is absolutely astonished by the fact that sweeps of Han's Cruiser come up with zilch, even after has the entire interior stripped apart. But, just as Han gets through the check-point that third time, the commander realizes he's never seen Han Solo come back through the check-point in the opposite direction. Han's been smuggling ships!!!
That's a version of the old 'stealing wheelbarrows' story.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I just hope they show him make the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs.

strawman

strawman

I just hope they show him cheating at the Kessel run in 12 parsecs...

Just Me

Just Me

I've read these: http://www.amazon.com/The-Han-Solo-Adventures-Revenge/dp/0345379802
I got them at Star Tours back in the day. They were all right, but I wouldn't necessarily want to make a movie out of them.
They are good pulp novels but not much of the original Star Wars (no Stormtroopers, no evil Empire etc.).
For Han's origin there's this one Amazon product and its two sequels. They tell young Han's way from the gutters to the Imperial Academy, out of it and to a smuggler's life. And it ends right in the Mos Eisley cantina as Chewie brings a hooded guy and a kid who have to leave Tatooine.
Nice reading, some interesting stories, not sure if I'd want movies.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmmm. Kasdan, mildly positive. Abrams even more involved, leaning more towards negative. Changing writer halfway through, more negative than positive.

We'll see, but it's not something that makes me especially happy.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Hmmm. Kasdan, mildly positive. Abrams even more involved, leaning more towards negative. Changing writer halfway through, more negative than positive.

We'll see, but it's not something that makes me especially happy.
Yeah, after Into the Darkness, I am not as confident as I once was. Hopefully, Kasdan will have a larger influence. Heck, sometimes I wish Joss Whedon was a producer.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I realized what is going to be truly missing from the next Star Wars Episode...

The 20th Century Fox Fanfare. :(

Just Me

Just Me

I also hope for John Williams' Main Theme (at the least!) and the scrolling text as an opener!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This is true. I watched the OT so many times growing up that I associate that to this day w/ SW. So, does my brother. When I was younger, I would sometimes wish that whatever Fox movie I was watching would magically transform into SW after the fanfare; that's pretty dorky.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I would sometimes wish that whatever Fox movie I was watching would magically transform into SW after the fanfare; that's pretty dorky.
...I can think of a lot of movies I'd have preferred to have changed to any of the original three as I started watching.

bhamv3

bhamv3

This is true. I watched the OT so many times growing up that I associate that to this day w/ SW. So, does my brother. When I was younger, I would sometimes wish that whatever Fox movie I was watching would magically transform into SW after the fanfare; that's pretty dorky.
The soundtrack album for A New Hope actually includes the Fox fanfare as track 1. Track 2 is the Star Wars opening theme. According to the booklet in the CD case, this way the moment of silent anticipation between the end of the Fox fanfare and the start of the Star Wars theme is reproduced in the soundtrack.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

...I can think of a lot of movies I'd have preferred to have changed to any of the original three as I started watching.
I thought the same thing while watching the new trilogy.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

The soundtrack album for A New Hope actually includes the Fox fanfare as track 1. Track 2 is the Star Wars opening theme. According to the booklet in the CD case, this way the moment of silent anticipation between the end of the Fox fanfare and the start of the Star Wars theme is reproduced in the soundtrack.
I know - I have them all! OT that is. I thought it was an awesome touch. We all obviously feel the same way about that particular theme. Brofists for everyone!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sure there will be a fan edit after Episode VII comes out that has the Fox fanfare playing over the Disney logo.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Tangential to the main topic, but on the issue of associating production credits with certain movies.

I'm still a little disappointed every time I see the New Line Cinema film reel logo forming and it doesn't have the first few echoey notes of the Nightmare on Elm Street theme.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Tangential to the main topic, but on the issue of associating production credits with certain movies.

I'm still a little disappointed every time I see the New Line Cinema film reel logo forming and it doesn't have the first few echoey notes of the Nightmare on Elm Street theme.
Every time I see New Line Cinema, I'm waiting to see it again since I'm used to watching Lord of the Rings and they run the company's logo twice for some reason, at least on DVD.

General Specific

General Specific

Hmmm. Kasdan, mildly positive..
Only mildly? Kasdan co-wrote Empire and Jedi, not to mention Raiders of the Lost Ark and being nominated for 4 screenwriting academy awards after that. If there is anyone I would want handling the Star Wars franchise, it'd be him. Plus, he already has experience in keeping a director from ruining a franchise.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Opening Day, December 18, 2015.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wow, I can't believe they are giving up middle May. And I can't believe that the film won't be pushed back to May 2016.

Unless ILM - or whoever gets the project has already started "filming" the special effects.

Far

Far

Wow, I can't believe they are giving up middle May. And I can't believe that the film won't be pushed back to May 2016.

Unless ILM - or whoever gets the project has already started "filming" the special effects.
December is another big time for movies with generally less spectacle films then summer so it won't have too much competition, aside from oscar bait which is usually a totally different demographic. And having 2015 will let it fill the December release void that the hobbit series will leave for big special effect heavy journey films.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

To be honest... I'm not looking forward to any manner of Star Wars movies ever again. After taking a few interested looks into Wookieepedia after reading names of minor characters in Darths & Droids, it just feels completely idiotic how every - single - character to appear on the silver screen has page after page of backstory with links to locations and races and religions and what he bloody fuck else. The original trilogy worked on its own, but with the new trilogy and later with the Clone Wars series the backstory keeps getting filled, leaving even less and less room for any sort of imagination. The galaxy is getting cluttered to the point where the idea of even trying, say, a Star Wars RPG game would be doomed the second there's someone in the group who has immersed themselves in the Expanded Universe.

But what do I know? As long as nerds, geeks and fans like us keep throwing money at Star Wars, they'll keep making Star Wars movies.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well the prequel trilogy didn't care about the expanded universe, and I don't think these movies are going to care either.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Enjoy for what it is, don't worry about the stuff that isn't movie. That's what I plan to do. I'm looking forward to this more than the prequels, but all is open to do, these movies don't have to end at a point that everyone is going into knowing what that point is. Then again, I won't gripe at you if you don't watch them, unless you purposely come into a thread like a certain surfer we all know.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

December is another big time for movies with generally less spectacle films then summer so it won't have too much competition, aside from oscar bait which is usually a totally different demographic. And having 2015 will let it fill the December release void that the hobbit series will leave for big special effect heavy journey films.
Hobbit is only in for two Decembers; it's not like LOTR where we got used to it. The third Hobbit movie (unless they changed something) is set for 2014 summer. I don't know if anything big is aimed at December 2014 in its stead.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hobbit is only in for two Decembers; it's not like LOTR where we got used to it. The third Hobbit movie (unless they changed something) is set for 2014 summer. I don't know if anything big is aimed at December 2014 in its stead.
Hobbit 3.5!

Far

Far

Ah my mistake. I assumed all were a December release.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hobbit 3.5!
Glóin King 1-1/2?

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Shawn

Shawn

To be honest... I'm not looking forward to any manner of Star Wars movies ever again. After taking a few interested looks into Wookieepedia after reading names of minor characters in Darths & Droids, it just feels completely idiotic how every - single - character to appear on the silver screen has page after page of backstory with links to locations and races and religions and what he bloody fuck else. The original trilogy worked on its own, but with the new trilogy and later with the Clone Wars series the backstory keeps getting filled, leaving even less and less room for any sort of imagination. The galaxy is getting cluttered to the point where the idea of even trying, say, a Star Wars RPG game would be doomed the second there's someone in the group who has immersed themselves in the Expanded Universe.

But what do I know? As long as nerds, geeks and fans like us keep throwing money at Star Wars, they'll keep making Star Wars movies.
I've never really had difficulty with this. I still find plenty of room, and when I can't I tell people "fuck it. It's my game. Enjoy it or leave."[DOUBLEPOST=1384227899,1384227843][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm sure there will be a fan edit after Episode VII comes out that has the Fox fanfare playing over the Disney logo.
I hope the Cinderella's Castle logo appears with a lightsaber sound effect.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope the Cinderella's Castle logo appears with a lightsaber sound effect.
I'm a certified nerd, and I approve this message.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Movie directors have to fight hard to remove or overlay the Disney theme music. Don't hold your breath...

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I ran across this on Youtube. If only this guy had written the prequels.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I've been waiting impatiently for awhile for his Ep. III.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I've been waiting impatiently for awhile for his Ep. III.
Someone give that guy a job working on the next set of films.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Why is everyone obsessed with every story having a main character... doesn't it get boring after nothing but stories like that?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why is everyone obsessed with every story having a main character... doesn't it get boring after nothing but stories like that?
Not every story needs one, but a Star Wars story could probably use a central focus.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Not every story needs one, but a Star Wars story could probably use a central focus.
Yeah, that's true.

I'm mostly annoyed by the Hobbit feeling the need to have the same villain for all 3 films (and not making it the son either, the parallels with Thorin would have made it more interesting imo).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, that's true.

I'm mostly annoyed by the Hobbit feeling the need to have the same villain for all 3 films (and not making it the son either, the parallels with Thorin would have made it more interesting imo).
Agreed. They have three main villains, the orc guy, Smaug, and the Necromancer. No reason to keep stringing them all through each movie. I guess Peter Jackson felt the goblin army needed a face.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I guess Peter Jackson felt the goblin army needed a face.

Well the way i see it they could have easily just have the backstory of Thorin killing (or maiming if they really wanted to keep him) the white orc, and show his sone once looking pissed, then at Goblin Town they could show the Goblin King send a message to Bolg (or Azog if they really wanted the bad guy to be a white orc) about selling the dwarves to him, and at the end of the film they could show Bolg (or Azog) getting the message.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I might actually pay genuine, honest-to-goodness real money to watch this remake, should it happen. And not suck.

West Wars - The same story, but set in the Old West

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...rce=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all

Welp, no EU for EU fans. Which means no...whatever their names are. What, like Mara Hutt or something? I don't know, I'm not into it.

Jay

Jay

Stop whining

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I liked Grand Admiral Thrawn and all, but I'm pretty fine with it being all new stuff.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...rce=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all

Welp, no EU for EU fans. Which means no...whatever their names are. What, like Mara Hutt or something? I don't know, I'm not into it.
It's unsurprising, but still disappointing. Tossing out 20 years of material is no small deal. Oh well, it makes for a good position to finish up the soon-to-be-labeled "Legends" EU material and walk away from the new EU.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They are basically picking and choosing what will be included in the new EU... it's not ALL being thrown out. The Old Republic stuff is probably in, as it's a cash cow and takes place long before any of the movies. Admiral Thrawn might make the cut too. But anything AFTER the movies is probably completely gone because they don't want to be hamstringed by writers from 30 years ago.

This is both expected and acceptable.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm not surprised at all, really. There's so much meat to the EU that there's no real way to convey it to movies and the like. I don't mind it, personally, but I'm sure there's plenty of people sad to see some characters potentially disappear.

Nile

Nile

On the bright side, this means Chewbacca never died.

... That better not be one of the parts they keep.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

On the bright side, this means Chewbacca never died.

... That better not be one of the parts they keep.
That's awesome, but then again, not many people go out in a bigger blaze of glory. Dude got crushed between a planet and its moon to save his friends or something like that.

Hardcore.

fade

fade

Good. Thrawn was irritating. Cortisis was stupid. Force suppressing animals were silly. Zahn focused too much on the how and not enough on the what and why. If I want the how, I'll read the databank.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

In the only EU book I read, back when I was 9 or 10, a governor bet his position in a card game with Jabba the Hutt's dad, lost because the card's had special ultraviolet marks that only space slugs can see, and in passing his role of elected official over to a non-elected individual, somehow this put Leia's life in danger because Jabba's daddy wanted revenge.

I didn't read any more EU books.

EDIT: And don't recommend any; I don't care.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

In the only EU book I read, back when I was 9 or 10, a governor bet his position in a card game with Jabba the Hutt's dad, lost because the card's had special ultraviolet marks that only space slugs can see, and in passing his role of elected official over to a non-elected individual, somehow this put Leia's life in danger because Jabba's daddy wanted revenge.

I didn't read any more EU books.
Oh man, the Jedi Prince series, I remember that. That was...a thing alright.

bhamv3

bhamv3

To be honest, I feel greater "brand loyalty" towards the current EU than I do towards whatever JJ and LucasArts are planning. While this news may be unsurprising, it still reduces my interest in Episode 7.

Espy

Espy

I think it's far wiser to not force the filmmakers to be tied to 20 years of books. Besides, you still have the books, allow someone else a chance to play in the sandbox.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I think it's far wiser to not force the filmmakers to be tied to 20 years of books. Besides, you still have the books, allow someone else a chance to play in the sandbox.
Plenty of people have played in the sandbox without knocking what everyone else did down. There being restrictions on what you can do is generally the cost of playing a shared "sandbox" (as a tradeoff for the benefit, which is that you have everything else everyone built to play with as well), if you don't want that, you can make your own sandbox. Yes there's a practical benefit for the filmmakers to be able to do whatever they want, but that doesn't change that there's a loss there for those who liked the old sandbox.

Espy

Espy

Plenty of people have played in the sandbox without knocking what everyone else did down. There being restrictions on what you can do is generally the cost of playing a shared "sandbox" (as a tradeoff for the benefit, which is that you have everything else everyone built to play with as well), if you don't want that, you can make your own sandbox. Yes there's a practical benefit for the filmmakers to be able to do whatever they want, but that doesn't change that there's a loss there for those who liked the old sandbox.
No, they haven't. As awesome as novels based on a film franchise are it's a different world (or sandbox if we want to continue down that analogy). People don't just "get" to play in the film sandbox of Star Wars. It's cool of Lucas to have allowed so many books and comics but in the end I'm sure that they were low financial risks (unlike film), reached far less people than the films and nothing he ever felt like he had to follow if he didn't want to.

And sorry, but the view that a bazillion dollar franchise should either follow the non-film material or else "make their own sandbox" is just… not realistic for so many reasons, least of all that fans don't get to make the rules. I mean look, I get that people have a strong nostalgic value to many, but thats not enough when a bazillion dollar franchise is on the line. Keep in mind, this is part of a FILM SERIES, not a series of films made from books a'la Harry Potter. There's just zero reason for the people in charge to feel they must follow the novels. Would it be nice? Maybe, but in the end (and I think this is something our current geek/nerd culture really needs to get a grip on) the existence of one thing does not negate the value of the other. Enjoy the books for what they are. Enjoy the movies for what they are. In the end, it will be ok. Maybe not what a group of fans prefer, but thats ok, the thing you love will still be there and probably better than any translation to a new medium would be.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

but that doesn't change that there's a loss there for those who liked the old sandbox.
How is there a loss? Those stories still exist, you don't lose the enjoyment that those stories have brought. I would have liked some of the stuff from the EU to show on screen, because I would love to see what somebody else has imagined for the visual that I have created in my head.

I think that this is hitting some of the same problems that we saw with Eps 1-3, people already had ideas of what "should" happen, instead of what the films are going to say "did" happen. Throughout Lucasfilm/LucasArts and all the peripheral material stuff that has been released over more than 35 years, very little has been made canon that didn't appear in the films first.

Espy

Espy

Did Lucas already have a outline or something for 7-9?

Covar

Covar

Lucas didn't give a shit about the EU when he made his movies, not sure why people expect Disney to.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

No, they haven't. As awesome as novels based on a film franchise are it's a different world (or sandbox if we want to continue down that analogy). People don't just "get" to play in the film sandbox of Star Wars. It's cool of Lucas to have allowed so many books and comics but in the end I'm sure that they were low financial risks (unlike film), reached far less people than the films and nothing he ever felt like he had to follow if he didn't want to.
Oh, now we're restricting the "sandbox" analogy to just refer to film, rather than the whole universe? Because up until now, they were the same thing.

And sorry, but the view that a bazillion dollar franchise should either follow the non-film material or else "make their own sandbox" is just… not realistic for so many reasons, least of all that fans don't get to make the rules. I mean look, I get that people have a strong nostalgic value to many, but thats not enough when a bazillion dollar franchise is on the line. Keep in mind, this is part of a FILM SERIES, not a series of films made from books a'la Harry Potter. There's just zero reason for the people in charge to feel they must follow the novels. Would it be nice? Maybe, but in the end (and I think this is something our current geek/nerd culture really needs to get a grip on) the existence of one thing does not negate the value of the other. Enjoy the books for what they are. Enjoy the movies for what they are. In the end, it will be ok. Maybe not what a group of fans prefer, but thats ok, the thing you love will still be there and probably better than any translation to a new medium would be.
Having respect to the work of everyone who's contributed to the universe so far is a reason. But you're right, that they don't have to do so. Of course, going along that route, they don't have to make "good" movies either, the success of the prequels and movies like those of Micheal Bay have demonstrated that they can make high style, low substance, poorly acted CGI-fests and make money, but I would prefer they don't do that either. Marvel didn't have to take a long term plan of tying together their movies, risking turning viewers off because of too much reliance on other movies, they could have instead focused on more individual movies like what DC did, but I'm glad they did, it paid of.

How is there a loss? Those stories still exist, you don't lose the enjoyment that those stories have brought. I would have liked some of the stuff from the EU to show on screen, because I would love to see what somebody else has imagined for the visual that I have created in my head.

I think that this is hitting some of the same problems that we saw with Eps 1-3, people already had ideas of what "should" happen, instead of what the films are going to say "did" happen. Throughout Lucasfilm/LucasArts and all the peripheral material stuff that has been released over more than 35 years, very little has been made canon that didn't appear in the films first.
It's a loss because some of the the things we like aren't going to be part of the universe anymore, they're not going to be involved in future stories. It's a loss because the material coming out that's labeled "Star Wars" isn't the same as what certain people liked before. I mean, Spider-man's "One More Day" story arc didn't make the years of comics that they retconned not exist anymore in the real world, but to the readers who liked developments from that time period, the continuing comic just isn't telling the same stories that it was prior to that event.

Did Lucas already have a outline or something for 7-9?
Allegedly he had some film treatments that were given to Disney.

Espy

Espy

Oh, now we're restricting the "sandbox" analogy to just refer to film, rather than the whole universe? Because up until now, they were the same thing.
Well, I guess they aren't anymore.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Well, I guess they aren't anymore.
Yep, and my only point was that sort reductionist approach to the universe to appeal to the lowest common denominator is disappointing for some fans. It doesn't matter to you, and that's fine, it's a matter of subjective preferences after all, but there's nothing wrong with others preferring that things would be done another way.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What it honestly boils down to is this: Disney isn't doing anything that Lucas wouldn't, so I don't care.

tegid

tegid

Reverent: those film treatments that you mention most probably do not fit with all of the EU. So if there were ever going to be more movies I guess they wouldn't have agreed with it in any case.

I understand the disappointment though. To you star wars is the whole universe, and this is like if they did a spiderman movie with a wildly different origin and original villains, in some ways?

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190 mediante Tapatalk

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Reverent: those film treatments that you mention most probably do not fit with all of the EU. So if there were ever going to be more movies I guess they wouldn't have agreed with it in any case.

I understand the disappointment though. To you star wars is the whole universe, and this is like if they did a spiderman movie with a wildly different origin and original villains, in some ways?

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190 mediante Tapatalk
Yep, like Bhamv, I have more loyalty to the current Star Wars universe, including the EU, than whatever this new thing is. Like I said, yeah there's practical reasons for tossing it, it's the safer, easier route, but safer and easier is not always best (though it's not always wrong either). To use Marvel as an example again, I doubt the safe and easy route for them is to make a cosmic superhero movie starring a talking raccoon and tree-person, but boy am I glad they're doing it anyway.

Espy

Espy

Yep, and my only point was that sort reductionist approach to the universe to appeal to the lowest common denominator is disappointing for some fans. It doesn't matter to you, and that's fine, it's a matter of subjective preferences after all, but there's nothing wrong with others preferring that things would be done another way.
You might note, I never questioned the legitimacy of being bummed out by something you like not being a part of a new movie. I totally get that man.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

You might note, I never questioned the legitimacy of being bummed out by something you like not being a part of a new movie. I totally get that man.
That's fine, I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't doing some "The company I own no stake in MUST do things my way or they are objectively wrong" fan thing. I am not always the best at actually saying what I'm trying to convey.

fade

fade

I guess to me they were always two different things. I don't feel the Spider-man analogy. To me, it's more like ignoring the Marvel Manga spider-man when they make the next spidey film.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Aw man, I'd finally forgotten about the Marvel Mangaverse. Now I have to go drink bleach again. It's gonna be a long week.

Espy

Espy

I guess to me they were always two different things. I don't feel the Spider-man analogy. To me, it's more like ignoring the Marvel Manga spider-man when they make the next spidey film.
Totally, but I've always been of the mind that different mediums must be respected and that one can be enjoyed without ruining the other. But then again I know folks who just loath adaptions or changes to things they hold dear. At that point I start to wonder if perhaps one might be holding that thing a little too dear.

That being said, I still understand that it sucks when something you like gets messed with or changed or in this case, ignored. I think it just happens to often that to things I love that I just had to give up being upset over it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sure this will be the first time something in the movies contradicts the EU.

blotsfan

blotsfan

IIRC there was a book that came out before Empire where Vader explicitly talks about killing Luke's father.

fade

fade

Aw man, I'd finally forgotten about the Marvel Mangaverse. Now I have to go drink bleach again. It's gonna be a long week.
Hey at least I didn't mention marvel manga wolverine.

Or Supaida-Man.

Far

Far

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah....Lucas threw out part of the EU for movies 5 and 6. They threw out parts of the EU for episodes 1-3. Why be surprised when they toss other parts for movie 7-9?
Plenty of things in the EU are pretty cool. I love the OR series of games, the Jedi Knight games really had quality, the Thrawn novels were pretty good.
Expecting the new movie to adhere to everything from the EU, though, is like asking them to make a new Spiderman movie and not only not tell the origin story, but to actually be in mine with current comic universe canon. 99% of viewers* haven't read all the comics, if you don't introduce concepts or characters but assume they know who they are, you won't be very successful. Either the new movies'd be set much, much later - thus making them "not eispode 7-9" - or they'd be retelling of books already written (New Jedi Order, Thrawn,...). Neither would be interesting from their POV.

Like the Star Trek reboot, I expect there to be a lot of reappearing characters, also from the EU, in similar-but-slightly-different roles. We'll see. I do understand people not being happy about it, but I don't really think there was another solution.

*This is not a deliberate hyperbole at all.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

*Sigh* I was going to leave the snarky comments alone, but given how often the same incorrect comparison is being repeated, I feel the need to correct it. This is not a matter of the movies daring to have any points of contradiction. Some conflicts inevitably occur in a franchise that's been going on as long as Star Wars has with as many different writers involved (especially when one of them is George Lucas). As has been mentioned, that's happened before, as has the EU contradicting other parts of the EU and the movies contradicting other movies. What is happening in this case is the entire EU is being thrown out and everything - movies, tv shows, books, and whatever other new media forms they're using - going forward are all going to following this new direction.

Expecting the new movie to adhere to everything from the EU, though, is like asking them to make a new Spiderman movie and not only not tell the origin story, but to actually be in mine with current comic universe canon. 99% of viewers* haven't read all the comics, if you don't introduce concepts or characters but assume they know who they are, you won't be very successful.
They're jumping ahead 30 years for these movies, regardless of whether or not they use any EU material, they'll be introducing new characters and concepts that weren't in the previous movies. Whether they do that successfully is a an issue independent of the use of the EU.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Since, ultimately, we have no say, I'm just going to hope that the new movies encompass some of the EU in spirit. It doesn't need to match its continuity, or even necessarily use the same names, but a few nods would be nice.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Jaxxon better have a cameo.

Frank

Frank

Well, in positive news, Mark Hamill is looking pretty great for the first time in like a decade. Getting into fighting shape for some role he might have in the future.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, he looks a decade younger. Dude was getting pretty haggard over the last few years, I was actually a little worried.

Espy

Espy

If that's him looking good... Yikes.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, I mean he still looks rough, but dude was putting on a lot of weight and just seemed really, I dunno, tired whenever he was interviewed or something.

Frank

Frank

It's relative.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This movie is gonna be RUSHED...

Espy

Espy

Wow, fair enough, he does look way better.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This movie is gonna be RUSHED...
Don't worry; they'll make it all in a computer.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Don't worry; they'll make it all in a computer.
There will be more practical effects this time a round. I saw a pic of what is likely a life sized AT-AT foot.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Among the new guys, I only know Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow. The rest are strangers to me.

I've decided to think of this as a good thing.

Krisken

Krisken

The less well-known people, the better off we are.

fade

fade

It's relative.

Whoa. Kind of looks like that guy from the blue collar comedy tour. The one with whiskey and the perpetually slurred speech.

Krisken

Krisken

Whoa. Kind of looks like that guy from the blue collar comedy tour. The one with whiskey and the perpetually slurred speech.
I think you're talking about Ron White.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Okay.... contest aside..... that alien was made with practical effects..... not cgi....I am taking this as a good sign.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Okay.... contest aside..... that alien was made with practical effects..... not cgi....I am taking this as a good sign.
And they're on a set. Not a green screen set; an actual set.

My mind is blown.

grub

grub

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Cajungal

Cajungal

BLAH BLAH BLAH MY CHILDHOOD

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I just don't care about Star Wars anymore. I'm sick of it like I'm sick of zombies in pop culture.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just don't care about Star Wars anymore. I'm sick of it like I'm sick of zombies in pop culture.

Uhh... nevermind guys, pack it up.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I feel like I don't care either, but at the same time, I'll allow room for someone to convince me to care again.

evilmike

evilmike

TMZ has a number of photos showing the props and sets under construction.

Here is one of the spaceships being constructed for the film:
millennium-falcon-star-wars-spoiler-sneak-peek-behind-the-scenes-photos-014-480w.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I did not think Millennium would be the age of the ship.

Shawn

Shawn

TMZ has a number of photos showing the props and sets under construction.

Here is one of the spaceships being constructed for the film:
I'm excited. It's nice to see them using a lot of practical props and sets, rather than CGI everything.

evilmike

evilmike

It appears that a number of people have jumped to a certain conclusion about the spaceship being built for Episode VII. J.J. Abrams tried to end the speculation by tweeting a denial.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It appears that a number of people have jumped to a certain conclusion about the spaceship being built for Episode VII. J.J. Abrams tried to end the speculation by tweeting a denial.
Didn't he also say that Khan definitely wasn't in the new Star Trek?

Covar

Covar

Didn't he also say that Khan definitely wasn't in the new Star Trek?
Look more closely at the picture.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Look more closely at the picture.
That's the holo-chess table from inside the Falcon, isn't it?

Shawn

Shawn

Technically it could just be any YT-1300

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, I guess it could be, Debbie Downer.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Nope! That's EU content, so it's no longer canon! YT-1300s no longer exist!

Shawn

Shawn

Nope! That's EU content, so it's no longer canon! YT-1300s no longer exist!
Must suck to be a wanted criminal with the most unique ship in the galaxy.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Must suck to be a wanted criminal with the most unique ship in the galaxy.
When that ship can do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs, it doesn't matter how wanted the captain is or how unique it looks. No one's going to catch it.

By the way, the explanation of the Kessel Run having to do with dodging black holes in the Maw is now non-canon too. So we go back to Han Solo measuring the Kessel Run in parsecs being, simply, stupid.

figmentPez

figmentPez

By the way, the explanation of the Kessel Run having to do with dodging black holes in the Maw is now non-canon too. So we go back to Han Solo measuring the Kessel Run in parsecs being, simply, stupid.
Wait, how many different explanations for the Kessel Run are there? I heard it was measured in parsecs because it involved transferring cargo between moving ships.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wait, how many different explanations for the Kessel Run are there? I heard it was measured in parsecs because it involved transferring cargo between moving ships.
That was the first explanation given, not sure where it came from. The "official", or at least more widely-accepted version, came later.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run

Shawn

Shawn

According to the most recent RPG the Kessel Run is difficult because of the black holes and other obstacles that get in the way. It is also a heavily patroled route by the Empire. The trip requires several hyperspace jumps, and several moments of piloting through normal space in order to get through it safely. Pulling off this stunt pretty much makes you a legend in the smuggling circle.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yeah, Han Solo everyone's favorite drug mule.

General Specific

General Specific

That was the first explanation I ever heard. The Kessel Run was made by a small cargo ship between two larger ones. The two big ones would get into different spots in a line of ships waiting to be scanned by Imperial customs ships. The first ship would get scanned and begin to depart. At that moment, the small cargo ship with the illegal goods would undock from the second ship and speed past the inspectors. It would then dock with the first ship and it would immediately go to hyperspace. So, the run would be measured in the distance it took your ship to get from the second ship to the first, the lower the number, the better your ship is. It was a known tactic of smugglers, so even attempting it was likely to get you blasted by the Imperials. So, actually completing the run AND having a low distance meant you were a BAMF.

Personally, I liked the script explanation of Han just pure boasting to try to impress Ben & Luke. You can see Obi-Wan give Han a sort of wry, "Ok, sure" expression just after the statement.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think the 2 ship explanation came from the TIE-Fighter game documents.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If only they'd used green screen and no sets, none of this would've happened.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Great quote:

labman57 says:
June 12, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Time for Han Solo to break out his Imperial Walker.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The writer and director for Episode VIII shall be Rian Johnson (who made Brick and Looper).

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119778

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And IX. Really really awesome news.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The writer and director for Episode VIII shall be Rian Johnson (who made Brick and Looper).

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119778
I didn't know the guy who made Brick made Looper.

I gotta watch Looper. I loved Brick.

Espy

Espy

Man, I am so okay with this news.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I didn't know the guy who made Brick made Looper.

I gotta watch Looper. I loved Brick.
Looper's great. It's not Brick great, but still great in its own ways. Though because time travel is involved, you get the expected time travel plot holes and such.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, Looper was a fantastic little pulp sci fi flick.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, Looper was a fantastic little pulp sci fi flick.
Agreed, and it was pretty well-shot, too. Really curious to see how he handles Star Wars, should be a good ride.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Take that, Lucas!
I know, right?

And the best part is, he doesn't get any money for it ... well, okay, the best part is the movies, but his not getting money for it is pretty cool.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'll believe it when I see it. Last I heard, Fox still owns the rights to the original six movies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll believe it when I see it. Last I heard, Fox still owns the rights to the original six movies.
If that was true, Fox could've released such a project themselves. Instead, it was all on Lucas's plate, which leads me to believe it was Lucas's decision and one he forfeited when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If that was true, Fox could've released such a project themselves. Instead, it was all on Lucas's plate, which leads me to believe it was Lucas's decision and one he forfeited when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney.
He also claimed that the original footage was destroyed, and thus was impossible.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He also claimed that the original footage was destroyed, and thus was impossible.
George Lucas sure is an asshole.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, that isn't happening.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, that isn't happening.
punch.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Lucas will tell a lie about Star Wars, when the truth would be easier. I can't think of a single thing that he told the truth about Star Wars...