State of the Guild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I just wanted to talk about the state of the guild. We have been pretty slow these days, which has been fine with me since I don't expect us to be running ICC or anything so close to the expansion. My plan is to see how well it goes when Cataclysm hits the shelves, and then we can go from there, and invite other people if needed to at least get a 10-man. I plan to keep my specs as Protection and Holy, to cover two of the more important roles if needed.

One issues, however, is that I do plan to spend a lot of time on my main server once Cataclysm hits. I am going to level my hunter as he was always my favorite character, though I will probably not raid with him like I used to. Because of this, I am thinking of making an "Assistant Guild Master" that can run the place whenever I am not around. He will basically be the rank above officers, and I will give him full control over all the guilds functions and also my "RealID" so they can contact me if I am on the other server. The only limitation is he will not have unlimited bank access, but I will make sure he will be set with enough daily withdrawals that it won't matter.

I learned today that Cataclysm will even allow you to set certain ranks to require authenticators. What is everyone's opinion on that? Do you think it would be a good idea to require that for officer ranks?

I will be making some of these changes at the end of the week. Right now I am leaning on either Dave or Piotyr for the Assistant Guild Master rank since they are the other consistent players I see on, and I trust them. Does anyone else have suggestions?http://www.halforums.com/forum/users/725/

Let this be the time to also ask any questions about the guild, or voice any concerns.

I learned today that Cataclysm will even allow you to set certain ranks to require authenticators. What is everyone's opinion on that? Do you think it would be a good idea to require that for officer ranks?
Sounds like a good idea to me. They are cheap, or free, and will save you the pain of dealing with customer service to get the guild bank restored if anything happens. Dave or Piotyr are both good choices IMO.

I know I haven't been on for a while. I don't even have internet service at my house right now. Once I get some stuff straightened out and everything settles down a bit I'll be on again. I'm hoping that will either be when Cata is released, or before. This'll be my main server/guild, so I'll be up for 10-mans when the time comes.

I don't own an authenticator at this time, so that may be tricky. Not necessarily opposed to getting one, though. Does it come with a celestial mount?

As for me, I just want to play to have fun. Heck, I've been farming Strat and Scholo this week to try to get a dungeon one set (2 of 8, baby!), just because, so my definition of fun may be someone else's definition of psycho.

Oh, and when the expansion content hits, I plan to spec fire and fire. (and level a gnome priest)

I don't own an authenticator at this time, so that may be tricky. Not necessarily opposed to getting one, though. Does it come with a celestial mount?
Nope, but it comes with an adorable Corehound. :D

The requiring of an authenticator is an option I want to look into, but I want to discuss it with people before we make a choice. It would basically add another layer of defense from account hacks, which normally end with an empty guild bank. I got an authenticator at last years BlizzCon and never looked back, it really brings some peace of mind.

They're $6.50 if you buy one. If you have an iPod touch, iPhone, or Android phone, you can download the authenticator app for free.

There is also a way to make it work off your desktop, so you wouldn't even need the phone. However, that method is not as safe from very advanced trojans, since they can load up the authenticator from your system. It is an option though that saves you from basic keyloggers and such.

Dave

Staff member
My only issue with an authenticator is that mine is on my iPod. And since my son plays when I'm not at home if I used one he wouldn't be able to play.

Shannow

Staff member
I am around, but I play on my alts that I am leveling. My geared paladin main is in the guild hough, and it has a full holy spec and set, so it can be used if you guys need me to (what can I say, I like healing :) ) Dave has me on friend ID, so he can hit me up when I am on if you want a healer (I also have a full ret set that is lower end the level of ToC, so if you need dps, I can go that way too)

When Cat hits...I am not sure what I will be doing. I am having a blast levelling my mage.

I am having the itch to play more alts myself, but I am trying hard to hold off for Cataclysm, since I want to make a Goblin Priest and enjoy the new starting experiences for most of the Alliance races. I swear I am such an altoholic that by the end of Cataclysm I will probably find myself with one of every class on both Horde and Alliance. =P

Now if they would just come through and add that cross-server mailing system so I can mail my heirlooms to my Alliance characters.

Dave

Staff member
I want to play, damn it! I'm going to have to wait until the 1st before I buy Win7 again. Until then I'm DOA.

FYI, I believe Microsoft is going to offer the Win 7 family pack again starting on the 3rd. With that you get 3 keys for the price of one. You could always install Ubuntu and get it running temporarily... I had WoW install in it a while back, and it worked just fine.

I'm abusing my works internet connection right now to get the patch. I don't know if I'll have time this weekend to get on. I'll be putting siding on my house, so I kinda missed my free time window. It was kinda funny. In order to get internet I have to go through my phone, which doesn't really get 3g service at my computer. So I had my monitor on my desk, my computer sitting on a chair in the middle of the room, and my phone which was on the other side of the room. After I realized the disaster that would occur if my lab came running through the room I gave up.

Sorry you guys can't play, and hope you can get it all up and running soon. The new events leading up to Cataclysm are on the PTR, so we should be seeing them occur pretty soon once the next patch hits.

Also, I finished my goal of getting the Crusader title, the Crusader tabard, and the Argent Charger. Today I will also finally get my old school Netherdrake!

Kinda late to the party, but I support Piotyr's nomiation for the assistant GM position. I'm also in favor of requiring officers to have authenticators.

Status
Not open for further replies.