Export thread

Stephen King - One More Reason Not to Hit Him with a Van

Zappit

Zappit

He's paying to fly 150 soldiers from Indiana to Maine so they can be home for the holidays. That's a real nice gesture.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091213/ap_on_re_us/us_people_stephen_king_troops

Deschain

Also he wrote only the greatest series ever.

phil

phil

I knew he was the mastermind behind twilight

Kitty Sinatra

Damn. That was the joke I had been looking for.

Nile

Nile

With the worst ending ever.

Despite the grudge I still hold against him for that, this is an awesome gesture. Good on him.

Kitty Sinatra

And that was the analysis, Nile.

Deschain

Mmm Nile, I think it was kind of fitting. There was no way it could finish, it was just built way too epic for that. Although I read an ending that I think I found decently written:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2747620/1/Dark_Tower_Coda_Redux

Chazwozel

Despite the grudge I still hold against him for that, this is an awesome gesture. Good on him.[/QUOTE]

He admits himself that he sucks at endings.

Rubicon

He's still my favorite author tied with George R. R. Martin.

Kudos to him for such a display of awesomeness

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

He's paying to fly 150 soldiers from Indiana to Maine so they can be home for the holidays. That's a real nice gesture.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091213/ap_on_re_us/us_people_stephen_king_troops
Nope, paying for a two bus rides, to and from Maine, not flights.

Espy

Espy

I hope they didn't tell the soldiers in a letter. Since soldiers can't read.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Were you making a joke Espy? If so, that one went way over my head.

Espy

Espy

"If you don't (read), then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's not as bright." - Stephen King, 2008

But really, this is a nice thing and it rather makes up for his dumb ass comment.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

That was a cadence call when I was in the Navy back in 01 "We're not the Army, I don't think that they can read."

Espy

Espy

That was a cadence call when I was in the Navy back in 01 "We're not the Army, I don't think that they can read."
I think I remember hearing my wife say their cadence call was "Who cares if we can't read, at least we aren't the Navy". :p

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Damn Espy, I was going to post the same thing.

He sure is generous. <-Read: Sarcasm. I still think he's an ass for saying that.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I think my ex-wifes cadence call while in the navy was "In the Navy... All these men for me!"

/end bitter moment

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think my ex-wifes cadence call while in the navy was "In the Navy... All these men for me!"

/end bitter moment
That was a whole different kind of mess hall.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The only reason I ever need for not hitting him with a car.

Kovac

Kovac

Despite the grudge I still hold against him for that, this is an awesome gesture. Good on him.[/QUOTE]

He admits himself that he sucks at endings.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate the ending to the series but considering how epic the tale was in it's entirety, I did feel less than blown away with the resolution. I'm not quite sure how I wanted it to end either... just not quite how it did.

Beginning and endings... they are just rather hard I suppose

Which book did people enjoy most if I may ask.

Deschain

The first book was nothing short of awesome. Some of them dragged on like Wolves of the Calla, but everything leading up to the end was increasingly fantastic. I like to think it has a good end, one day. Or if not, "the road goes on forever and the party never ends."

MindDetective

MindDetective

"If you don't (read), then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's not as bright." - Stephen King, 2008

But really, this is a nice thing and it rather makes up for his dumb ass comment.
I seem to be missing the context. If he's talking about the opportunities available to the illiterate, then it doesn't seem so bad to me. I don't read it as military personnel are all illiterate, though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

In the context of the speech, he was saying that if you are literate, you have more opportunities open to you. If you are illiterate you don't have as many options, the military being one of them.

MindDetective

MindDetective

In the context of the speech, he was saying that if you are literate, you have more opportunities open to you. If you are illiterate you don't have as many options, the military being one of them.
That's largely true, isn't it?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yes, but that would involve not freaking out about a soundbite, which is something the media sucks at.

MindDetective

MindDetective

So true. And apparently people here too.

Covar

Covar

That's largely true, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Not really. You still have to score above a certain point on the ASVAB to be eligible even for Infantry.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word illiterate.

"not well read" is as close as I can come to what he's talking about.

He's basically saying that the more you read, the better your options are.

Covar

Covar

Definately I understand that. I also understand why you chose illiterate as that was what King himself used. So really all the misunderstanding on or about the sound byte lies fully with him.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Definately I understand that. I also understand why you chose illiterate as that was what King himself used. So really all the misunderstanding on or about the sound byte lies fully with him.[/QUOTE]

No, the poor wording was mine, not his. He never even implies that soldiers are illiterate or even that they aren't well read, just that it is one of the options for people who aren't very well educated. Which is very true.

MindDetective

MindDetective

That's largely true, isn't it?[/quote]

Not really. You still have to score above a certain point on the ASVAB to be eligible even for Infantry.[/QUOTE]

A little research shows that the ASVAB is a composite score of several sub scales. The minimum to enlist with the army (which has the lowest minimum) is 31. I've read that a score of 31 implies that you are in the 31st percentile, though I'm not sure that's actually right. In any case, a person could conceivably score a 31 if they had partial literacy or good numeracy.

Espy

Espy

Yes, but that would involve not freaking out about a soundbite, which is something the media sucks at.
So true. And apparently people here too.[/QUOTE]

When I said that it was a dumb-ass comment was I freaking out about it then? Funny, I thought I was just saying it was a dumb-ass comment.
My thoughts on it is that he could have phrased better so it not only made his point but so it avoided coming off as insulting to the men and women serving their country. I do think he meant it as derogatory towards service people, but thats just my personal impression so who knows. So that being said I'm not sure who think is freaking out over it unless I missed something.

As to him as a writer, I'm a pretty huge fan. Own most of his stuff in hardcover and just started Under the Dome.

JCM

Awesome move by Stephen King, although theres no lack of reasons to love the man... from great stories (and their oscar-winning movies) like The Green Mile and the Shawnshank Redemption to horror movies ala The Shining and Misery to even comics like his Dark Tower series, the man has had a creative output that few writers have ever dreamed of having, so here's another vote for not running the man over with a van.

Reason not to run Stephen King over with a van no#2987; The introduction of coulrophobia to millions

\"Originally Posted by [B said:
Bowielee\"[/B]]
Amen

Covar

Covar

I didn't know Stephen King created the Shawshank Redemption. I've never read anything of his (not a fan of horror), but I love that movie so maybe I should check out his books.

Espy

Espy

I didn't know Stephen King created the Shawshank Redemption. I've never read anything of his (not a fan of horror), but I love that movie so maybe I should check out his books.
He doesn't just do horror, go with the Richard Bachman books if you want less horror and the Shawshank, Green Mile stuff.

JCM

He doesn't just do horror, go with the Richard Bachman books if you want less horror and the Shawshank, Green Mile stuff.[/quote]Stephen King's non-horror stuff is pretty much great, here are some good flicks based on his non-horror stuff, for example-

-Stand by me - Based on "The body"
-Hearts in Atlantis - Based on a "Hearts in Atlantis" short collection
-Green Mile - Based on the Green mile mini-series (where Stephen King sold cheap monthly parts of the books as he was writing it)
-The Running Man (with Schwarzenegger) - Based on the Running Man novel King wrote under the Richard Bachman name, to test if his stories sold well under a different name (they did)
-Apt Pupil - Bryan Singers best flick comes from King's novel of the same name.
-Dolores Claiborne - based on King's Dolores Claiborne meganovel, which had no chapters, paragraphs, but was just one continuous monologue
-The Shawkshank Redemption - based on the novella "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption"
-Desperation - Based on the book with the same name
-Dreamcatcher - Shitty movie based on the book with the same name
-Secret Window - Based on King's short story "Secret Window, Secret Garden"

Unlike most writers, King doesnt ask anything but that his name appear in the credits, thus most non-King fans watch shitloads of tv shows, movies and series based on his stuff and dont know its his.

Its a bit sad, because the Stephen King has written more damn good stuff and influenced books, movies and tv series than any other writer, ever.

Edit:
His books-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_bibliography
His short stories - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_fiction_by_Stephen_King
Movies/tv shows/comics based of his stuff- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_based_on_Stephen_King_works

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Apt Pupil is one of my favorite underrated films ever, no question.

Espy

Espy

Ah... I remember when Brian Singer made good films...

JCM

Ah... I remember when Brian Singer made good films...[/quote]His first three flicks were cinematic perfection (Public Access, Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil), which had people calling him the next Kubrick.

Then he did two Xmen flicks, a shitty superman-yet-again-its-kryptonite! flick and Valkarie. :( [STRIKE]At least his direct-to-dvd "Trick 'r Treat" was awesome[/STRIKE] (EDIT: Oh wait, that wasnt his)

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Valkyrie wasn't terrible....it just suffered with it's cast I think, most of which are fantastic actors mind you, it just seemed a film that could have used more unknown people in the rolls.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Valkyrie would have been a fantastic film sans Cruise.

Espy

Espy

Is Valkyrie even worth seeing?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Valkyrie would have been a fantastic film sans Cruise.
I haven't seen the film solely because Tom Cruise is in it. I just can't stand him, the only film I really thought he was excellent in was A Few Good Men.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

In all honesty he really takes some decent films and runs them into the ground. Some great movies would have been better with a different actor: Mission Impossible/s, Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai, Interview with a Vampire. All would have been elevated to a higher status easily without him.

Shannow

Shannow

Cruise is actually a great actor, his off screen antics are another matter.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I can't imagine Lestat without seeing Tom Cruise's face portraying him, that's how impressed I am with his acting ability in Interview with the Vampire. His personality, I find is generally arrogant and obstinate, and at times: peculiar.

Kitty Sinatra

He doesn't just do horror, go with the Richard Bachman books if you want less horror and the Shawshank, Green Mile stuff.[/QUOTE]

And a 4pack of short novels called Different Seasons. one of these was turned into the movie Stand By Me way back when.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Vanilla Sky
Have you watched the spanish original? (Abre los ojos)
It has no Cruise, but I can't really say the original actor is better. Because he isn't, Cruise is a pretty good actor. But he isn't Tom Cruise, with his Cruise Face and Cruise smile all over the picture.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Cruise is actually a great actor, his off screen antics are another matter.
I agree wholeheartidly. He can be amazing. I just think that Valkyrie called for less STARPOWAHSELLSTICKETS and a little more subtlety.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Vanilla Sky
It has no Cruise, but I can't really say the original actor is better. Because he isn't, Cruise is a pretty good actor. But he isn't Tom Cruise, with his Cruise Face and Cruise smile all over the picture.[/QUOTE]

Abre los ojos is so so so so so much better. It seems that every good spanish movie (and there's few of these) that gets a hollywood adaptation always gets a crappy one. Same thing happened with REC / Quarantine.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Vanilla Sky
It has no Cruise, but I can't really say the original actor is better. Because he isn't, Cruise is a pretty good actor. But he isn't Tom Cruise, with his Cruise Face and Cruise smile all over the picture.[/QUOTE]

Abre los ojos is so so so so so much better. It seems that every good spanish movie (and there's few of these) that gets a hollywood adaptation always gets a crappy one. Same thing happened with REC / Quarantine.[/QUOTE]

And it's really a "version/plagiarism/unofficially inspired by" of a story by one of my favourite authors! (I won't say wich one because it would spoil the ending of both the movie and the novel)

Espy

Espy

He doesn't just do horror, go with the Richard Bachman books if you want less horror and the Shawshank, Green Mile stuff.[/QUOTE]

And a 4pack of short novels called Different Seasons. one of these was turned into the movie Stand By Me way back when.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, forgot out Different Seasons. Very good stuff.

JCM

Vanilla Sky
It has no Cruise, but I can't really say the original actor is better. Because he isn't, Cruise is a pretty good actor. But he isn't Tom Cruise, with his Cruise Face and Cruise smile all over the picture.[/QUOTE]Pretty much this.

And the same applies to any recent Hollywood remake of Spanish movies, especially you %$^# REC remake.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He doesn't just do horror, go with the Richard Bachman books if you want less horror and the Shawshank, Green Mile stuff.[/quote]

And a 4pack of short novels called Different Seasons. one of these was turned into the movie Stand By Me way back when.[/quote]

Yeah, forgot out Different Seasons. Very good stuff.[/quote]

I'd also classify the Tommyknockers as more sci-fi than horror. Though it suffers from the plague of many King stories, as it has great story and terrible ending. Still not as terrible as the ending of The Stand. I swear that man just decides "well, I've crafted a wonderful novel here, but I'm bored with writing this mother fucker, what can I pull straight out of my ass for an ending?"

JCM

He doesn't just do horror, go with the Richard Bachman books if you want less horror and the Shawshank, Green Mile stuff.[/quote]

And a 4pack of short novels called Different Seasons. one of these was turned into the movie Stand By Me way back when.[/quote]

I'd also classify the Tommyknockers as more sci-fi than horror. Though it suffers from the plague of many King stories, as it has great story and terrible ending. Still not as terrible as the ending of The Stand. I swear that man just decides "well, I've crafted a wonderful novel here, but I'm bored with writing this mother fucker, what can I pull straight out of my ass for an ending?"[/QUOTE]*sniff*

That pretty much describes the latter part of IT.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah I completely disagree. Every scene, of every Cruise movie I mentioned, has him doing the exact same facial features/movements, exact same voice tones, exact same mannerisms. Basically saying "I'm Tom Cruise, I'm in this movie, so it's the best movie ever made cause I say so", in his every word/movement.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd also classify the Tommyknockers as more sci-fi than horror. Though it suffers from the plague of many King stories, as it has great story and terrible ending. Still not as terrible as the ending of The Stand. I swear that man just decides "well, I've crafted a wonderful novel here, but I'm bored with writing this mother fucker, what can I pull straight out of my ass for an ending?"[/QUOTE]*sniff*

That pretty much describes the latter part of IT.[/QUOTE]

I felt that way about The Stand, but It's (wow, that's the first time I've wrestled with whether or not to put an apostrophe after "it" in a long time) ending felt perfectly crafted for all it was leading up to through the book. The epilogue was a little cheesy, but the actually climax underground--I know it got weird, but it never felt like it was being pulled out of his ass. It fit with that IT was totally beyond them, in ways they couldn't imagine and apparently neither could the narrative.

Unless you're talking about the bit of kiddy sex in the pipe. I won't defend that... but IT is my favorite King novel.

Twitch

I was really enjoying reading King, I had read about eight of his novels in a row and I picked up a little book called dreamcatcher. I put it down about 1/2 way through and shelved my King books. I haven't looked at them since.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Weird, I thought "The Stand" ended precisely how it should have.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The "ending" was fine; the climax in Randall Flagg's town...

Bringing the characters to there for them to accomplish nothing, having no damn reason to go because there never was a way for them to succeed anyway, and then bring in the deus ex machina hand of God to set off the pyro's nuclear bomb. What a waste.

Kitty Sinatra

I couldn't tell you what I thought of the Stand's ending. I never made it that far. Damn thing suffered from rambling, as far as I'm concerned.

I miss the shorter novels King wrote. Stuff like the Dead Zone and Firestarter, the Long Walk and Running Man. Well, his old stuff, really. Stephen King is like the rock band Rush, only Rush got shorter and boring while King got longer and boring.

JCM

Yeah I completely disagree. Every scene, of every Cruise movie I mentioned, has him doing the exact same facial features/movements, exact same voice tones, exact same mannerisms. Basically saying "I'm Tom Cruise, I'm in this movie, so it's the best movie ever made cause I say so", in his every word/movement.
His best movies are the ones he managed to slightly improve on that, Jerry Maguire and Magnolia.

Besides that, he pretty much belongs with the Nicholas Cage and Keanu Reeves acting school.

Kitty Sinatra

His best movies are the ones he managed to slightly improve on that, Jerry Maguire and Magnolia.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry but I gotta ask: How do you forget Rain Man?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Unless you're talking about the bit of kiddy sex in the pipe. I won't defend that... but IT is my favorite King novel.
It wasn't until probably the 3rd time reading the book to understand what was going on in that scene.

Pennywise was able to distort their perceptions because they were children, and having sex made them adults (shakey logic, I know) so they were able to find their way out.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It wasn't until probably the 3rd time reading the book to understand what was going on in that scene.

Pennywise was able to distort their perceptions because they were children, and having sex made them adults (shakey logic, I know) so they were able to find their way out.[/QUOTE]

I know why it was necessary to happen. It was not necessary to go through it for four detailed pages.

Grue: Have you read Cell? That's shorter than the big ones, and pretty awesome.

Kitty Sinatra

No, I haven't read it. Haven't read anything new by King in ages. Mostly because I've already read a significant number by him and there's so many other authors out there. But also because Wolves of the Calla turned me off not just that series, but the author, too. I just don't care to read anything more by him.

Espy

Espy

Cell is very good. VERY good. I'm halfway through Under the Dome and it's fantastic as well. A little heavy on the "hur-hur conservatives r bad!" (but subtlety has never been his thing) but it's very good.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I own Cell and it really was a fantastic novel. Now let's just hope they don't cast Tom Cruise in the film version. :p

Null

Null

Couldn't be worse than The Cell with Jessica Lopez.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I own Cell and it really was a fantastic novel. Now let's just hope they don't cast Tom Cruise in the film version. :p
They won't, because it's gonna be a goddamn TV movie instead of a real movie. :/

Espy

Espy

They won't, because it's gonna be a goddamn TV movie instead of a real movie. :/[/QUOTE]

Where'd you hear that?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They won't, because it's gonna be a goddamn TV movie instead of a real movie. :/[/QUOTE]

Where'd you hear that?[/QUOTE]

Fangoria

Espy

Espy

Fangoria[/QUOTE]

Hrrrm.

Not sure how I feel about that. I pray it doesn't end up on a channel that will censor it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fangoria[/QUOTE]

Hrrrm.

Not sure how I feel about that. I pray it doesn't end up on a channel that will censor it.[/QUOTE]

Odds are it will be made not to have anything to be censored.