Stephen King - One More Reason Not to Hit Him with a Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rubicon

He's still my favorite author tied with George R. R. Martin.

Kudos to him for such a display of awesomeness

"If you don't (read), then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's not as bright." - Stephen King, 2008

But really, this is a nice thing and it rather makes up for his dumb ass comment.

Also he wrote only the greatest series ever.
With the worst ending ever.

Despite the grudge I still hold against him for that, this is an awesome gesture. Good on him.[/QUOTE]

He admits himself that he sucks at endings.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate the ending to the series but considering how epic the tale was in it's entirety, I did feel less than blown away with the resolution. I'm not quite sure how I wanted it to end either... just not quite how it did.

Beginning and endings... they are just rather hard I suppose

Which book did people enjoy most if I may ask.

D

Deschain

The first book was nothing short of awesome. Some of them dragged on like Wolves of the Calla, but everything leading up to the end was increasingly fantastic. I like to think it has a good end, one day. Or if not, "the road goes on forever and the party never ends."

"If you don't (read), then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's not as bright." - Stephen King, 2008

But really, this is a nice thing and it rather makes up for his dumb ass comment.
I seem to be missing the context. If he's talking about the opportunities available to the illiterate, then it doesn't seem so bad to me. I don't read it as military personnel are all illiterate, though.

In the context of the speech, he was saying that if you are literate, you have more opportunities open to you. If you are illiterate you don't have as many options, the military being one of them.

In the context of the speech, he was saying that if you are literate, you have more opportunities open to you. If you are illiterate you don't have as many options, the military being one of them.
That's largely true, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Not really. You still have to score above a certain point on the ASVAB to be eligible even for Infantry.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word illiterate.

"not well read" is as close as I can come to what he's talking about.

He's basically saying that the more you read, the better your options are.

Definately I understand that. I also understand why you chose illiterate as that was what King himself used. So really all the misunderstanding on or about the sound byte lies fully with him.

Definately I understand that. I also understand why you chose illiterate as that was what King himself used. So really all the misunderstanding on or about the sound byte lies fully with him.[/QUOTE]

No, the poor wording was mine, not his. He never even implies that soldiers are illiterate or even that they aren't well read, just that it is one of the options for people who aren't very well educated. Which is very true.

That's largely true, isn't it?[/quote]

Not really. You still have to score above a certain point on the ASVAB to be eligible even for Infantry.[/QUOTE]

A little research shows that the ASVAB is a composite score of several sub scales. The minimum to enlist with the army (which has the lowest minimum) is 31. I've read that a score of 31 implies that you are in the 31st percentile, though I'm not sure that's actually right. In any case, a person could conceivably score a 31 if they had partial literacy or good numeracy.

Yes, but that would involve not freaking out about a soundbite, which is something the media sucks at.
So true. And apparently people here too.[/QUOTE]

When I said that it was a dumb-ass comment was I freaking out about it then? Funny, I thought I was just saying it was a dumb-ass comment.
My thoughts on it is that he could have phrased better so it not only made his point but so it avoided coming off as insulting to the men and women serving their country. I do think he meant it as derogatory towards service people, but thats just my personal impression so who knows. So that being said I'm not sure who think is freaking out over it unless I missed something.

As to him as a writer, I'm a pretty huge fan. Own most of his stuff in hardcover and just started Under the Dome.

J

JCM

Awesome move by Stephen King, although theres no lack of reasons to love the man... from great stories (and their oscar-winning movies) like The Green Mile and the Shawnshank Redemption to horror movies ala The Shining and Misery to even comics like his Dark Tower series, the man has had a creative output that few writers have ever dreamed of having, so here's another vote for not running the man over with a van.

Reason not to run Stephen King over with a van no#2987; The introduction of coulrophobia to millions

\"Originally Posted by [B said:
Bowielee\"[/B]]
Yes, but that would involve not freaking out about a soundbite, which is something the media sucks at.
Amen

I didn't know Stephen King created the Shawshank Redemption. I've never read anything of his (not a fan of horror), but I love that movie so maybe I should check out his books.

I didn't know Stephen King created the Shawshank Redemption. I've never read anything of his (not a fan of horror), but I love that movie so maybe I should check out his books.
He doesn't just do horror, go with the Richard Bachman books if you want less horror and the Shawshank, Green Mile stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.