Still using public torrents? They know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
check out youhavedownloaded.com - they know all about your shenanigans (unless, as the title indicates, you do all your torrenting on a private tracker like demonoid).

lol. That is a fun site. I don't dl much but if I do for some reason there's a reason I would use something like demonoid.

figmentPez

Staff member
This does not surprise me.

I do download shows, but only stuff I could view via cable. Heck, I could record all those shows if the cable companies had lived up to their responsibilities in regards to standards and formats. They broke the ability to easily turn a PC into a DVR, so they shouldn't be upset that I'm downloading content that's been paid for.

Wish I did know how to be a little more discreet about it.

I also use torrents for completely legit stuff, like Humble Bundles, Open Office and stuff like that. (Didn't see any of that listed, even though I've downloaded those recently. Hmm.)

Dave

Staff member
download.png

Added at: 18:01
Were I into that sort of thing I'd totally use demonoid and PeerGuardian. If I were into that sort of thing.

PeerGuardian doesn't really help, from what I understand. If you're going to be torrenting a lot of shit, renting a seedbox is probably the way to go.

GasBandit

Staff member
PeerGuardian doesn't really help, from what I understand. If you're going to be torrenting a lot of shit, renting a seedbox is probably the way to go.
It won't help with showing up on this list, as these guys are just joining public torrents and taking down IPs from the host table. Fortunately, that's not enough to "get" you, as I understand it, to prove your piracy they have to show they actually received data from you (IE, you sent part of the torrent to them as a seed or peer)... which is where peerguardian/peerblock comes in. It blocks known addresses of media groups, law enforcement, government agencies, etc from connecting to you, thus getting anything on you that will stick.

But yeah, a seedbox is totally the way to go these days, not just for privacy/security, but also the speed is out of this world.

GasBandit

Staff member
Haven't IP addresses been shown to be unreliable for identifying specific users?
Often but not always. The preponderance of end users still use no proxies, and just turn on the cable modem and leave it on, forever extending the lease on one "dynamic" IP.

Also, if you got your cable modem from your cable company, they'll have the MAC address on file, and the two can often be matched up.

I also use torrents for completely legit stuff, like Humble Bundles, Open Office and stuff like that. (Didn't see any of that listed, even though I've downloaded those recently. Hmm.)
Same here. I've Torrented plenty of stuff, all of it 100% legit.

(I don't currently have enough time to enjoy all my legit stuff*, so why would I do any risky Torrents?)

--Patrick
*Books, DVDs, CDs, etc.

Weird, i was sure they'd be more... i mean there are plenty, but they're not mine (i'm at work), and the ones that are would mean more stuff should show up...

How the heck do you get access to Demonoid? Is it like Costco where a friend has to bring you in to sign up for membership?

I actually just got a warning from Charter over an episode of Dexter I got from Demonoid =/ Not as secure as one would think.

I actually just got a warning from Charter over an episode of Dexter I got from Demonoid =/ Not as secure as one would think.
My work place sent out emails twice, about 2 years apart, about someone downloading an episode of Dexter. I thought it unusual that only that program was mentioned by the ISP.

My work place sent out emails twice, about 2 years apart, about someone downloading an episode of Dexter. I thought it unusual that only that program was mentioned by the ISP.
Someone at the ISP probably got tired of all the leechers killing his download speeds.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.