Straub and Erica's Public Breakup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

Tinwhistler said:
I think the only time I posted about getting divorced (which I did, last year) was once in a thread about what books you're reading (and for me, it was "do it yourself divorce in texas" or somesuch), and after the divorce was final, because I was so jazzed about being my own lawyer and getting custody of my son. In other words, just random forum chatter. The "OMG, so emo!" online breakup is so high-school.

My wife and I had called it off 6 months prior to the divorce, and I didn't blast it publically all over the internet. On the other hand, I did blog about it on Myspace, when I first broke up with her. But that blog was set to be viewable only to a small subset of people that I considered close friends.
Yup. You didn't make a post about getting divorced, the topic just came along in conversation. That's not whoring your life story, it's how none attention whore people learn things about each other. If someone were to inquire more then you'd tell them what you felt comfortable with.

I am in agreement with Chaz, Tinwhistler, JCM and A Troll on this. Using twitter to be an attention whore is just bloody stupid. Guess I'm a cranky old man now.

Get off my lawn you punks!

ZenMonkey (and probably Mr. ZenMonkey) is the only one who knows the personal hell I'm going through right now. And until it gets resolved none of you dorks will.

:teeth:

Edrondol said:
ZenMonkey (and probably Mr. ZenMonkey) is the only one who knows the personal hell I'm going through right now. And until it gets resolved none of you dorks will.

Well now you're just teasing us.

I

Iaculus

Edrondol said:

Well, folks, looks like it's time to break out the steak knives.

A pity - I was starting to like Ed.

Iaculus said:
Edrondol said:

With a pinch of salt and some mustard?

I

Iaculus

Edrondol said:
Iaculus said:
Edrondol said:

... I suppose I can start to like him again, yes. :twisted:

W

Wasabi Poptart

Azurephoenix said:
I am in agreement with Chaz, Tinwhistler, JCM and A Troll on this. Using twitter to be an attention whore is just bloody stupid. Guess I'm a cranky old man now.

Add me to the mix! While I do use Twitter, I mostly have people on there that I consider my friends including people from this forum. Straub I'm sure has friends on there, but he's also got many fans that follow him. The public break up and the "OMG so emo" crap is what makes it a cry for attention instead of just talking about what's happening in his life. There is a huge difference between talking with friends and telling your sob story to every random stranger that walks by.

Shegokigo said:
Azurephoenix said:

*ahem*
Sorry Shegokigo... didn't mean to miss you in that list :)

S

Singularity.EXE

I just want it known, by all of your logics, we are all attention whores ourselves, yeah? The people following Straub and and Erica on Twitter are no different then the people on this forum, excepting that fact that there are more of them.

They're not broadcasting to "random strangers" about their break-up, they're informing everyone who opted into following them about it. And of course its gonna sound stupid and immature to outsiders, because this is not how *they* think.

Let's look at Mr. Chaz here. Would anyone outside our little corner of the internet generally care that he decided to taste some E.Coli? No? Then damn, label him an attention whore. JCM's sex-capades (yes, I did use that word, so there) in Brazil? Attention whore! Me whining in IRC about my own relationship status? Attention Whore!

The whole goddamn point of communication, be it face to face, over the phone, on the internet, is to get someone's attention. Anyone outside of that person's audience will obviously view it differently then someone inside it, you all might not give two shits about Straub and Erica, but there are people in their Twitter audience that do.

Worst part of the information age; what, the chance to communicate with people that you've not actually met face to face? Heresy! Each generation has its mode of communication that is alien to the one prior to it. So can we please forgo the knee-jerk reaction to trample out any change from one generation to the next?

Sure, breakups suck, but putting Starslip on hold is weak, weak sauce. Doesn't Kurtz miss days when he has the sniffles? These guys are showing themselves to be nothing more than hobbyists. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but don't pretend to be professional if you aren't going to follow through.

Singularity.EXE said:
we are all attention whores ourselves
I'm sure as hell not getting paid for this, so I'm more of an attention slut.

There's a difference between "by the way, we broke up" and "I don't want to wake up tomorrow morning BAWWWWWWW."

That is all.

L

Lally

I can see both sides of the argument here (non-attention whore vs. attention whore), but I am leaning more toward Singularity's point, with some exceptions. I agree that they are using twitter for its basic premise, which is to microblog. I'd say it's more attention-whoreish to expect people to be only interested in the minutiae of your life and make no comment about major life events. If I don't care that you broke up with your girlfriend, why would I care that you think that red shirt you bought today is really awesome? That said, I think it is both understandable and silly to post something like "I hate myself and I want to die" on your twitter. I made a couple similar posts on my livejournal a few years ago when I went through a very nasty dumping, and while I don't delete past posts so I have a complete record of my thoughts for myself, it was not one of my finer moments and it has gone into "private" status. Of course, I was 19 at the time, so I give myself allowance for that, and I don't know how old Erica & Kris are (but from what I understand, they are older).

ETA: And I definitely agree with Jake that it is totally lame to put Starslip on hold because of it. I had to go to work after my breakup, and the rest of us do too.

C

Chazwozel

Singularity.EXE said:
I just want it known, by all of your logics, we are all attention whores ourselves, yeah? The people following Straub and and Erica on Twitter are no different then the people on this forum, excepting that fact that there are more of them.

They're not broadcasting to "random strangers" about their break-up, they're informing everyone who opted into following them about it. And of course its gonna sound stupid and immature to outsiders, because this is not how *they* think.

Let's look at Mr. Chaz here. Would anyone outside our little corner of the internet generally care that he decided to taste some E.Coli? No? Then damn, label him an attention whore. JCM's sex-capades (yes, I did use that word, so there) in Brazil? Attention whore! Me whining in IRC about my own relationship status? Attention Whore!
First, it's impossible for Straub or Erica to know all of the thousands following their twitter. They are strangers.

Secondly, I posted that because I knew some people would get a kick out of me puking, not because I wanted you to feel sorry for me. Do you know anything about my personal life other than what I do and that I'm married? Do you even know my real name?

JCM never openly made a "People I've fucked thread", has he? Has he ever come here with a sob story post about how he broke up with his girlfriend? No, it naturally came up in conversation.

Let's not go comparing a thousand twitter followers to the 30 or 40 people in this forum that have talked to each other for damn near two years or more either bud. Some personal information is going to slip out over that long a time.

Jake said:
Sure, breakups suck, but putting Starslip on hold is weak, weak sauce. Doesn't Kurtz miss days when he has the sniffles? These guys are showing themselves to be nothing more than hobbyists. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but don't pretend to be professional if you aren't going to follow through.

Singularity.EXE said:
we are all attention whores ourselves
I'm sure as hell not getting paid for this, so I'm more of an attention slut.
That's the rule of the webcomic artist, as JCM's comic pointed out. I don't think Kurtz or Straub would cut it if their work was in the newspaper. OH NOES!?!?!??! DEADLINES!?!?!?!?!??!?!

J

JCM

Singularity.EXE said:
long fanboy whine from some kid who cant get it that his idol is an attention whore, and an unprofessional comic artist who would never survive if he had a job doing real comics
Jesus

a)Look at any newspaper comic strip, you know, the ones done by responsible professionals who make a living out of it? You will see they send a month's worth in advance, and never miss a single strip due to Twitter fights/beer drinking/dead dog. Its called the real world, when you grow up and get a job you will understand before whining our criticism of Starslip's lack of updates.

b)Look at my twitter, or threads. Do you see me spamming a few thousand people every fight I have with my gf, or every girl I screw? Nope? Its called personal life, nobody gives a shit, so feel free to talk about it in a conversation if it comes up, but dont attention whore on Twitter, when you grow up and have a proper relationship, you will understand why we grown ups are finding the whole break up on Twitter juvenile.

May I suggest thinking your comparisons first, especially in a forum where we know most people worth knowing, and some of us have been here for 8 years now?

There's a difference between "by the way, we broke up" and "I don't want to wake up tomorrow morning BAWWWWWWW."

That is all.
The problem is that Straub (and many web celebrities) forget that they will have to grow up one day, instead of handling his job and relationship like a teenager.

M

makare

Edrondol said:
Iaculus said:
Edrondol said:

heh, for some reason that put the song from Rocky Horror in my head

Don't get hot and fluuuustered... use a bit of mustard.....

Now I am going to have that in my head all day, not that that is a bad thing.

(was that too personal? Now I am going to be paranoid that I am being judged for putting too personal of content on the forum, now you all know my love of Rocky Horror :paranoid: )

I

Iaculus

Math242 said:
oh shit, JCM just entered war mode.
Open the shelters and sound the alerts, people. Women and SuperKing first. This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.

J

JCM

Math242 said:
Too easy, war mode would require me posting shitload of relationship counselors showing why a relationship break up in a public place (crowded pub stage, middle of classroom, Twitter) is dumb, or how real professional artists have worked through broken limbs, loss of loved ones and all.

Any adult here can agree breaking up a relationship in front of thousands, or missing a few days of work over a breakup is juvenile. The end.

C

Chazwozel

JCM said:
Math242 said:
Too easy, war mode would require me posting shitload of relationship counselors showing why a relationship break up in a public place (crowded pub stage, middle of classroom, Twitter) is dumb, or how real professional artists have worked through broken limbs, loss of loved ones and all.

Any adult here can agree breaking up a relationship in front of thousands, or missing a few days of work over a breakup is juvenile. The end.
Now if your limb was eaten by a shark, I'd say you should take off a few days from work...

M

makare

*writes down the asshole's guide to proper behavior*

thanks guys your opinions really matter so much!

Chazwozel said:
JCM said:
Math242 said:

Now if your limb was eaten by a shark, I'd say you should take off a few days from work...

Don't be a pussy. Rub some dirt in it and get back to the drawing board.

C

Chazwozel

makare1 said:

Proper guy code. If you dump your girlfriend and then sulk about it, you're going to incur the full wrath of other males making fun of you for being a sissy girl.

M

makare

Chazwozel said:
makare1 said:

Proper guy code. If you dump your girlfriend and then sulk about it, you're going to incur the full wrath of other males making fun of you for being a sissy girl.

I refuse to pull the FTFY bull shit but that would be The Asshole Code... not the guy code.

C

Chazwozel

HowDroll said:
Chazwozel said:
JCM said:
Math242 said:

Don't be a pussy. Rub some dirt in it and get back to the drawing board.
Hey yeah! Straub you fucking pansie. Slap a tourniquet on that shit and get back to work!

L

Lally

JCM said:
relationship break up in a public place (crowded pub stage, middle of classroom, Twitter)
I'm saying this has any bearing on your point necessarily, but I'd like to point out the difference is that a crowded stage and a middle of a classroom are where I'm assuming the breakup is happening, hence the breaking up in a public place. Their break up didn't happen in public, it was announced in public. He didn't twitter "@erica by the way I don't love you, peace" but "I broke up with Erica."

EDIT: NOT SAYING HE CHEATED JUST AN EXAMPLE. I changed it just in case.

C

Chazwozel

makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:
makare1 said:

I refuse to pull the FTFY bull shit but that would be The Asshole Code... not the guy code.
Sorry, I forgot you're into men without balls.

M

makare

Chazwozel said:

I like men who are not assholes. You wouldn't understand that with your gender tunnel vision and surrounding yourself constantly with fellow assholes. There is a whole world of real men out there who do not feel the need to behave.... like assholes.

It's one thing to spend a little time talking to close friends about how it sucks. It's another thing to proclaim it from the mountaintops with thousands listening over the course of a few days. Ending a long-term relationship hurts, quite a lot. Personally, though, I think writing it all over the walls is a bit excessive.

C

Chazwozel

makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:

I like men who are not assholes. You wouldn't understand that with your gender tunnel vision and surrounding yourself constantly with fellow assholes. There is a whole world of real men out there who do not feel the need to behave.... like assholes.
Yup, like this guy:

Status
Not open for further replies.